Windows Support Forum

Windows Fault no icons or taskbar

Q: Windows Fault no icons or taskbar

HI

When i start my PC it runs thru the start up and everything seems normal, windows is starting blue screen, It then goes to my desktop shows the background picture, and a cursor in the middle of the screen, but there are no icons down the left side of the screen, and no taskbar along the bottom. After a moment the task bar flashes up then goes again, I can ctrl/alt/del to get the task manager up, and try to start things in new task but internet will not conect. If i start in safe mode, or safe mode with directory controls(or defaults)cant remember, it start with a black screen in safe mode with small icons, but I can access the internet. any help with this would be much appreciated.

Regards

Jase

Relevancy 100%
Preferred Solution: Windows Fault no icons or taskbar

I recommend downloading and running Reimage. It's a computer repair tool that has been proven to identify and fix many Windows problems with a high level of success.

I've used it in the past to identify and fix everything from blue screens (BSOD's), ActiveX errors, corrupt files and processes, dll/exe/sys errors, recover lost memory, Windows update problems, defragging, malware removal etc.

You can download it direct from this link http://downloadreimage.com/directdownload.php. (This link will automatically start a download of Reimage that you can save to your computer.)

A: Windows Fault no icons or taskbar

Before we start fixing anything you should print out these instructions or copy them to a NotePad file so they will be accessible. Some steps will require you to disconnect from the Internet or use Safe Mode and you will not have access to this page.Please download Dr.Web CureIt and save it to your desktop. DO NOT perform a scan yet.alternate download linkNote: The file will be randomly named (i.e. 5mkuvc4z.exe).Reboot your computer in "Safe Mode" using the F8 method. To do this, restart your computer and after hearing your computer beep once during startup (but before the Windows icon appears) press the F8 key repeatedly. A menu will appear with several options. Use the arrow keys to navigate and select the option to run Windows in "Safe Mode".Scan with Dr.Web CureIt as follows:Double-click on the randomly named file to open the program and click Start. (There is no need to update if you just downloaded the most current versionRead the Virus check by DrWeb scanner prompt and click Ok where asked to Start scan now? Allow the setup.exe to load if asked by any of your security programs.The Express scan will automatically begin.
(This is a short scan of files currently running in memory, boot sectors, and targeted folders).If prompted to dowload the Full version Free Trial, ignore and click the X to close the window.If an infected object is found, you will be prompted to move anything that cannot be cured. Click Yes to All. (This will move any detected files to the C:\Documents and Settings\userprofile\DoctorWeb\Quarantine folder if they can't be cured)After the Express Scan is finished, put a check next to Complete scan to scan all local disks and removable media.In the top menu, click Settings > Change settings, and uncheck "Heuristic analysis" under the "Scanning" tab, then click Apply, Ok.Back at the main window, click the green arrow "Start Scanning" button on the right under the Dr.Web logo.Please be patient as this scan could take a long time to complete.When the scan has finished, a message will be displayed at the bottom indicating if any viruses were found.Click Select All, then choose Cure > Move incurable.In the top menu, click file and choose save report list.Save the DrWeb.csv report to your desktop.Exit Dr.Web Cureit when done.Important! Reboot your computer because it could be possible that files in use will be moved/deleted during reboot.After reboot, post the contents of the log from Dr.Web in your next reply. (You can use Notepad to open the DrWeb.cvs report)

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/241260/windows-fault-no-icons-or-taskbar/
Relevancy 58.48%

Hi all
(I'm italian, excuse me for my bad english).
I have a pc with windows 7 home premium 64 bit. I have a problem with some icons on taskbar: sometimes some applications are displaying the wrong icons, sometimes, as you can see (screenshot), I don't see some icons: sometimes a few are missing (this time I have 8 icons of about 20!).

If I restart my pc, some icons return, but many still missing or are wrong!

So I launched this tool from microsof (I think it rebuilt icon cache, but I'm not sure): In Windows le icone vengono modificate in modo non corretto
but it doesnt' fix the problem, see this screenshot after using this tool from microsoft:

now as you can see some applications are displaying the wrong icons and 2 icons are still missing ...is there any fix for this problem? thanks!!

Vittorio.

A:problem with icons on taskbar (wrong icons or missing icons)

perhaps the fixit from microsoft may help...

System icons do not appear in the notification area in Windows Vista or in Windows 7 until you restart the computer

http://www.sevenforums.com/performance-maintenance/283833-problem-icons-taskbar-wrong-icons-missing-icons.html
Relevancy 57.62%

windows 10 icons some not showing some showing in taskbar I click on and off on the icon why would this be ?

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f338/windows-10-icons-in-taskbar-1147873.html
Relevancy 57.62%

Hi. I apologize if this has been asked before, but I've just gotten a new pc with Windows 7. Love it, but really do not like the taskbar icons that pop up when I hover over an item on the desktop. Is there a way to remove this feature? Also, sometimes, (for no apparent reason I can see, I get this "transparent" square on my desktop. It goes away, but what causes it?

Many thanks for your help.

A:Windows 7 taskbar icons

Welcome!

For your first question, see here: Taskbar Thumbnail Previews - Enable or Disable

Your second issue almost sounds like Aero Peek. It occurs when you hover your mouse over a certain button in your taskbar.

To disable it, see here:

http://www.sevenforums.com/general-discussion/72792-windows-7-taskbar-icons.html
Relevancy 57.62%

Hey,
I have a problem with the taskbar icons on Windows 7 Ultimate x32.
The problem is when I cruise over the icons they appear like this

So, how can I get to view it like a window?

Here's a screenshot of my display adapter

and a snapshot of my system properties

Many Thanks,

A:Windows 7 taskbar icons

Are you using an Aero Theme?

Check your "Personalize" settings.

http://www.sevenforums.com/general-discussion/255984-windows-7-taskbar-icons.html
Relevancy 56.76%

Does someone know how to remove icons in windows 10 taskbar? I have tried deleting the programs but the icons remain in the taskbar.

A:remove icons in windows 10 taskbar

Originally Posted by rilbet2

Does someone know how to remove icons in windows 10 taskbar? I have tried deleting the programs but the icons remain in the taskbar.

Usually, a right click at the icon > click "unpin from taskbar" will do the trick.

What icons are you referring to ? Please give names of the icons.

http://www.tenforums.com/installation-setup/52288-remove-icons-windows-10-taskbar.html
Relevancy 56.76%

I have strange problem, Windows 10 remove little taskbar icons after ALMoST every restart.
Anyone knows why?

https://malwaretips.com/threads/windows-10-removing-taskbar-icons.57606/
Relevancy 56.76%

When I start Windows only the wallpaper shows up there are no icons or task bar This is a newer HP desktop computer only months old and has very little use and almost nothing loaded on it The problem is intermittent Somethings it boots normally with full icons and taskbar but the problem returns in a day or two or the next time I restart the computer I have seen on other posts to check whether quot explorer exe quot is running Have checked Task Manager and it is Antivirus Programs all up to date and run several times with no issues in safe mode Microsoft Security Essentials AVG Malwarebytes CCleaner Have run System Restore to times sometimes will restore to normal for a day or two then problem returns most times still no icons or taskbar Have run System Restore Check Disk Can anyone help When Googled I see this issue with XP computers but not much with Windows x Thanks

A:Windows 7 - There are No Icons or Taskbar on my Desktop

I hope you are not running MSE and AVG at the same time, is not recomended to have to antivirus programs running at the same time.

http://www.sevenforums.com/general-discussion/228301-windows-7-there-no-icons-taskbar-my-desktop.html
Relevancy 56.76%

Upon Windows XP start up only my wallpaper shows There are no icons no task bar no start menu nothing just a blank screen other than my wallpaper When use control alt delete I am able to pull up the task manager However when I start a new task called explorer exe this does not bring up my taskbar or icons although I do see the taskbar flash visibly for half a second then disappear I tried this solution Just to let everyone know While surfing through the internet I found someone who solved this problem and has a way to fix it There are registry keys in the registry that are causing the problem It affects the explorer exe and iexplorer exe files This is the key that needs to be deleted HKEY LOCAL MACHINE SOFTWARE Microsoft Windows NT CurrentVersion Image File Execution Options explorer exeHKEY LOCAL MACHINE SOFTWARE Microsoft Windows NT CurrentVersion Image File Execution in missing XP Windows Icons Taskbar and Options Icons and Taskbar missing in Windows XP iexplorer exeOnce these keys are deleted the desktop and internet explorer should come back to life I have gone to the registry and looked for quot explorer Icons and Taskbar missing in Windows XP exe quot and quot iexplorer exe quot in the place specified and found Icons and Taskbar missing in Windows XP neither of those keys I also tried this fix Go to regedit and set HKEY LOCAL MACHINE SOFTWARE Microsoft Windows NT CurrentVersion Winlogon quot Shell quot quot explorer exe quot but the value of the shell already contained quot explorer exe quot I received a message earlier that some files that Windows needs to run were missing damaged so I ran the repair install from my windows xp home CD I have also downloaded and installed several virus programs and run them They did find a delete several viruses and trojans but I still have the same problem This virus is also blocking some of the major antivirus antispyware websites I have been visiting however I have been able to download them via download com since that website does not seem to be blocked When I do install several of the antivirus applications the virus does not allow me to download updated definition files I downloaded HijackThis but whenever I tried to open it and install it after download I'll click HJTInstall exe and it will come up asking me if I would like to run it When I click quot Run quot the window goes away and nothing happens I assume the trojan recognizes the name of this program After downloading HJTInstall exe I went into the Task Manager and started a new task then clicked Browse I went to the desktop where my HijackThis installer was located I then changed the name from HJTInstall exe to some nonsense word like hlep exe Then I was able to run the installer and start HijackThis As an extra precaution I also changed the name of the folder directory in which it installed Example C Program Files hlep instead of C Program Files Trend Micro HijackThisI was able to generate a logfile but could not figure out how to get it off this computer I tried Yahoo mail Gmail yahoo briefcase google docs blogs and my local network -- all different attempts to move the HijackThis log onto another computer but none of them worked I also tried the following solution Microsoft TechNet Forums - vundo trojanhttp social technet microsoft com forums - f f d Hello If you are experiencing the problems named in the topic thread you may be losing your patience and mind by now I picked up this trojan days ago and it has taken me one re-install and that long to fix it Forget the advice from symantec and microsoft - the vundo removers do not work The answer is to install and run 'superantispyware' - this spotted vundo varients immediately removed them and all if working fine I was able to download and install SuperAntiSpyware and manually update the definitions file but I still have the same problem I did delete a file called shmgrate exe from Windows System This file was listed on a Norton webpage as part of the Backdoor Gaster worm ... Read more

A:Icons and Taskbar missing in Windows XP

I don't seem to be able to upload and attach the Attach.txt file, although I do have it available if necessary.

OH! I think it worked this time!

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/190834/icons-and-taskbar-missing-in-windows-xp/
Relevancy 56.76%

Hi there,

After trying to search for solutions to three problems i came across this amazing site so seeing though i have failed completely was wondering if anyone cane help !!

Task Bar Icons !!!

I cant get rid of Quicktime or Safely Remove Hardware. They are always there !! I have done the Right Click/Customize Notifications and then selected always hide to each but makes no difference !!! I have also made the others i want to see always show and this still doesnt rid me of these pesky icons ?!?!??

Any Ideas !!

Thanks

tich

A:Windows Problem 1/3 !! Getting Rid of Taskbar Icons

scroll down to 'notification area" then click on remove past items. it is a file to change the registry ( remove icons). i have used it myself and it works. link is below. and where i found it is below that.

http://www.kellys-korner-xp.com/taskbarplus!.htm
http://www.kellys-korner-xp.com/xp.htm

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/windows-problem-1-3-getting-rid-of-taskbar-icons.476387/
Relevancy 56.76%

Please don't shoot me if this has already been posted I couldn't find anything in my searches Anyways amongst my Internet travels looking for another kind of Win tweak I found this Quote Give your Windows a different look The program icons on the Windows by default are situated on the left side on the taskbar next to your Start orb But if you d like them to appear in the center of the taskbar and maybe give it a dock kind of a look Windows to in center How taskbar your 7 icons here is what you need to do Quote Create an empty folder in your Documents folder say MTTB Next right click on the taskbar and unlock it Again right click on it and select Tool bar gt New tool bar Select the empty folder MTTB Now right click on the new tool bar and unchecked Show Text and Show Title Next drag it dotted separator to the left side between the start orb and taskbar icons and release it Center align the taskbar icons Lock the taskbar Thats it source How to center your taskbar icons in Windows The Windows Club

A:How to center your taskbar icons in Windows 7

There's a disadvantage. The left part of your taskbar is visibly darker than the right, plus it's hard to center it JUUUST right.

http://www.sevenforums.com/customization/19780-how-center-your-taskbar-icons-windows-7-a.html
Relevancy 56.76%

This references showing Toolbar rows Icons Taskbar 3 2-line Taskbar Large small using Quick Launch Bar icons don't wrap even though there is room - a post by chillz which discovers a quot bug quot with the taskbar not resetting the row-sizing for toolbars when dragging the taskbar to the left then back to the bottom I for a while now have been using a custom quick-launch toolbar on my taskbar with the taskbar being unit-lines in height and having the taskbar on my secondary left monitor When I first set this up it showed lines of small icons in the toolbar and up to lines on the standard taskbar This was perfect because the toolbar didn't reset the order every time I launched an application contrary to how the pinned application system works With pinned applications no matter what position I drop the icon the order always resets and floats from place to place so that system of organizing icons is disgusting because you have apps between icons of apps that aren't running some times and other times the running applications are above and Taskbar Toolbar showing 3 small rows using Large Icons 2-line Taskbar below with or without grouping enabled The vertical display would be the ideal way for me to view unlaunched applications see aforementioned topic because they group together and launched apps come after in horizontal mode the taskbar is chaotic without a toolbar organizing the apps to one side but then you lose the functionality of the pinned-application system if you forfeit usage of that chaotic horizontal system in favor of how the vertical system works but in horizontal mode To the point After an update restart the toolbar reset and only showed lines despite there being more than enough room for rows of small icons I couldn't figure out what happened or what changed and then I read the aforementioned topic after some searching to find it actually worked Moving the taskbar to the left then back down resets the order so lines can be used on a line-unit height taskbar with large icons I would like to see several things fixed - Fix the chaotic organizing system of the horizontal taskbar to match the vertical display mode so pinned-apps are always on one side and use all lines while opened apps read like a book Other people will likely have a different opinion to this suggestion and I'd like to read them - Fix the toolbar icon organizational system so all space can be utilized without needing to move the taskbar each restart or update I have yet to restart since fixing the issue and I rarely restart as it is but others may not keep their pc running stressful on components to keep restarting Again I'd like to read others opinions on this but I'm sure most will agree on this point that unused space shouldn't be wasted Here we see all rows in my quick-launch toolbar Unfortunately without restarting or receiving a new update I can't reset the toolbar back to lines which is fantastic and I didn't take a screenshot prior to moving the taskbar to the left then back down but for simple effect imagine the top lines visibly the bottom invisible and an arrow on the right for extra icons and that is the default view You'll likely be able to repeat the effect if you don't have a toolbar and try it out

http://www.sevenforums.com/general-discussion/386948-taskbar-toolbar-showing-3-small-rows-using-large-icons-2-line-taskbar.html
Relevancy 56.33%

my taskbar icons at the default settings are too big for my liking.

If I set "use small icons" as my preference, then they are way too small!

is there a way to set an icon size somewhere between these 2 settings

I'm thinking there MUST be a registry hack that can do this ... many thanks in advance for any advice!

A:Windows 7 Taskbar icons, can I custom size them ?

This post may help you acheive what you seek. It's not quite meant for that, but would have the same effect.

Taskbar - Change Icon Button Width Size

A Guy

http://www.sevenforums.com/customization/124596-windows-7-taskbar-icons-can-i-custom-size-them.html
Relevancy 56.33%

Since I installed Windows 8 (on top of Vista x64 Ultimate) I have two Control Panel icons in the Taskbar.

If I right click and choose Delete to the one on the left, nothing happens.

If I right click and choose Delete to the one on the right, it deletes, but it reappears after a Reboot.

This is driving me nuts. I only want one icon.

How can I achieve this?

Thanks.

D.

A:Windows 8 x64 - Two Control Panel icons in Taskbar..?!

Welcome to EightForums.

Take a look at this tutorial:
Taskbar - Pin or Unpin Apps in Windows 8

http://www.eightforums.com/installation-setup/15843-windows-8-x64-two-control-panel-icons-taskbar.html
Relevancy 56.33%

Hello,

I am having the problem of windows booting to NO taskbar or desktop icons, I have run malware bytes and Avast5 and there os no reported problems.

Sadly I have run combofix before I saw all the warnings NOT to do that....WHY?

I have the log report is anyone willing to explain why one should not run combofix?

Any assistance would greatly be appreciated!!

A:Windows boots to NO taskbar or desktop icons

Hello,is anyone willing to explain why one should not run combofix?Sure. To quote Papakid:Running ComboFix by yourself is like performing open heart surgery on yourself--the scalpel and other surgical tools that is ComboFix is meant to be wielded by a highly trained surgeon only in emergencies or dire circumstances. When the surgeon is thru s/he leaves the room. So combofix should be removed from a system once it has accomplished its job, unlike an AV that is there to protect you from future infections.. . . CF does make some alterations to your system if you run it. Even if you had no malware removed and run the uninstall command, some things may be different now on your system. I can tell you that one thing is that all your restore points will be flushed out and a new one created. There is a good reason to do that when you have a severe infection--but if you aren't infected you might need those restore points.That said, please follow the instructions in ==>This Guide<== starting at step 6.Once the proper logs are created, then make a NEW TOPIC and post it ==>HERE<== Since you have run ComboFix, please include the ComboFix log in the new topic. Please be sure to include a description of your computer issues and what you have done to try to resolve them.If you cannot produce any of the other logs, then please create the new topic anyway, include the information that you were unable to produce the other logs and why and include the ComboFix log along with a description of your computer issues.Orange Blossom

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/354349/windows-boots-to-no-taskbar-or-desktop-icons/
Relevancy 56.33%

Hello I am posting by using an friend s PC At startup my PC sometimes doesn t display any Icons and the taskbar is absent Desktop and Taskbar XP Windows Icons missing Also Right-Click doesn t work Usually by restarting my PC a few times it works Unfortunately today i restarted it around times Windows XP Desktop Icons and Taskbar missing and its still the same problem Don t worry I have enough brain to google my situation But unfortunately none of the solutions worked for me This is what I tried and none of them works Open up Task Manager- gt Process Tab- gt select explorer exe - gt End Process- gt File- gt New Task- gt explorer exe Enter Safe Mode and use the Windows System Restore to an older date Note The desktop Windows XP Desktop Icons and Taskbar missing here and Taskbar works fine in Safe Mode But since Safe Mode is limited I doesn t help me to use it Windows XP Desktop Icons and Taskbar missing as default duh Create a new User for the PC Note Desktop icons and Taskbar doesn t show up This doesn t work because it gets stuck at adding some preferences when starting It just gets stuck to an non responding state And if I end the application explorer exe shuts down too Also if I open up explorer exe this application comes and gets stuck again Copy and Paste explorer exe into the WINDOWS folder then rename it into explorer exe- gt new task on the Task Manager- gt regedit exe- gt after some paths edit the Shell thing from Explorer exe to Explorer exe quot option Note the explorer exe process is changed to explorer exe but it has the same effect Copy the explorer exe file from another PC and use it to the broken PC Additional Notes to my problem a I cannot open any folder using commands My Computer WINDOWS folder etc This will just bring another explorer exe next to the other one then nothing happens b I can open an browser but it says that I don t have internet for some reason c Control Panel doesn t open using the command Control exe but its features Add Remove Programs System Properties etc work fine by opening using commands d I repeat this is an old problem but restarting the PC a few times fixed it This is an urgent problem I need the PC fixed as soon as possible I would prefer to not format my PC So are there any other solutions beside this Thank you for your time reading OS I m using Windows XP Home Edition SP P S I am not an native English speaker so please excuse my bad grammar nbsp

A:Windows XP Desktop Icons and Taskbar missing

Try Restore Desktop Icons and Taskbar.

Download the .vbs file and save it to your hard drive.

Double-click the .vbs file. You will be prompted when the script is done.

Restart the computer.

Hope it helps.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/windows-xp-desktop-icons-and-taskbar-missing.1058260/
Relevancy 56.33%

Dear Sirs,
all my attempts have proved futile and you are my last hope.

Situation:
I have replaced the icons for 3 of my programs, browser, mail client & mp3 player with custom icons from the web (16x16 ico, 32x32 ico, 48x48 ico, 256x256 png). They show up correctly in the taskbar itself (small and large) BUT the preview windows title bar icon remains the original (See attachments).

Attempted solutions:
Clearing Icon Cache, Prefetch, MUICache, tried all icon color depths, removing Icon completely, re-installing programs

The aesthetic discrepancy is driving me
I believe that windows has somewhere stored a type of "favicon" upon 1st launch of the programs and I can't find it.

If anyone can help me thank you very much, I hope I simply overlooked something really straightforward

Greets,
Maxwax

A:Update Icons in Taskbar preview windows

Maybe I;m missing something but only the Winamp icon looks different.

http://www.sevenforums.com/customization/42721-update-icons-taskbar-preview-windows.html
Relevancy 56.33%

I have Windows Ultimate x I wrote this post on Techspot originally and decided I should also ask it here hopefully I Explorer to icons multiple Windows Taskbar Pin can get this solved it's driving me crazy Before anyone says this is impossible it's not I had it set up like this before and I reinstalled Windows now I can't get it back to the way it was I know it was a pain the first time around too though Ok basically I want a taskbar icon that when clicked opens up one of my harddrives When I click this icon I want the window to open using that icon not as a separate item in the taskbar For example see attached Pin multiple Windows Explorer icons to Taskbar images The first image is what Pin multiple Windows Explorer icons to Taskbar it should do when I click to Pin multiple Windows Explorer icons to Taskbar open it the second is what it should not do the little mp player icon is the E drive shortcut opening the window changes the icon to a harddrive Now if I change the target of the shortcut to this C Windows explorer exe e root E Then it works like it should however there's a problem I want more than one shortcut The other shortcut is to an FTP site I actually thought to save the original shortcut from before I reinstalled Windows and the target for it is this C Windows explorer exe e root ftp username password mysite com with the actual site and credentials obviously being changed here This also works as it should opening the window using the icon Here's the problem though both work when they're the only ones on the taskbar but if I put them both on the taskbar at the same time then whichever one I added first takes precedence By that I mean that if I add the shortcut to the E drive then add the shortcut to the FTP site clicking the E drive shortcut opens the window using the correct icon but clicking the FTP site shortcut opens the window using the E drive icon I know this may sound like a trivial little thing but it's possible I know it is and it's just how I want it set up Can anyone help me out please I read somewhere that I could make a copy of explorer exe rename it explorer exe and point one of the shortcuts to it and that would solve the problem Well I did that and it didn't fix it it just reversed it now clicking on the E shortcut opens a window using the FTP shortcut It doesn't make sense and I had it working before I just don't remember what I did

A:Pin multiple Windows Explorer icons to Taskbar

right click on the drive then select Create shortcut

a shortcut will appear on your desktop

drag the shortcut to your taskbar

right click the explorer icon on the taskbar, you will see the shortcut that you want there

you can then delete the shortcut from your desktop

http://www.sevenforums.com/general-discussion/159132-pin-multiple-windows-explorer-icons-taskbar.html
Relevancy 56.33%

Several weeks ago, I accidently deleted the hidden icons on the taskbar (lower right corner). I have tried to work around them but it sure is a lot easier to have them there. Among those things that disappeared are the "remove hardware" button and that was a good one to have around.

I did a google search with no satisfactory answers except for one. It was supposed to show how to do this but after going through the process, it did not restore anything.

Anyone here done this a repaired it?

Thanks

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/can-hidden-icons-be-restored-in-the-taskbar-windows-7.966746/
Relevancy 56.33%

I got a strange problem on my Windows XP Pro desktop I never had before. All of sudden on the task bar the Quick Lunch show all it's short cut on the task bar. However, every time when I open a window ( Word, IE 6, etc, any application) the window never showed on the task bar. when i minimize it it disappear. I had to press Ctrl+Alt+Delete to bring up task manager window to maximize the application window again.

the taskbar is not locked and i tried to move the borders but nothing helped

any idea how to fix that??

Relevancy 56.33%

I'll start by saying that I am not computer literate.  When I click my start button I can no longer see any programs and the only item now on my taskbar is my file folder.  This first happened after the last Windows update 10/2/16.  I restored the computer to a prior date and all was fine until ? it updated again?  Virus?Edit: Moved topic from Virus, Trojan, Spyware, and Malware Removal Logs to the more appropriate forum. ~ Animal

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/628465/windows-10-all-programs-and-taskbar-icons-missing/
Relevancy 56.33%

Hey everybody,

I've recently managed to recieve some stupid virus. And when I boot up I log in, then this box pops up:

There is no taskbar or any icons on the desktop and the only command that makes anything work is Task manager.

I've tried various steps such as searching through the Registry Editor, Searching my computer's drives trying to find it, Used 'Hijackthis' to scan my computer and see if it's hiding in my RAM or running in the background etc etc etc...

Also, I have performed system restores to around a week ago with no success.

I need to fix this ASAP. Within the next few hours prefferably.

Please, if you have any any ideas, post here or PM me.

Thanks in advance..
Firefly

A:Windows XP start-up problem (no icons or taskbar)

Press Ctrl+Alt+Delete, go up to the top, click on "New Process" or something similar(in one of the select menus), then type in explorer.exe.

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f10/windows-xp-start-up-problem-no-icons-or-taskbar-363198.html
Relevancy 56.33%

hi
I cant see icon of metro in taskbar of windows 8.1

A:i cant see icons of metro apps in taskbar of windows 8.1

Are you in the Desktop or in the Metro/Start screen?

http://www.eightforums.com/general-support/69218-i-cant-see-icons-metro-apps-taskbar-windows-8-1-a.html
Relevancy 56.33%

well hello there is a while now the taskbar icons are hidden and cannot be show i disabled the feature quot hide the inactive icons quot but still when i log in the taskbar gets frozen for minute or more i dont think its a registry cleaner issue since some icons appear i think its a program that its messing with my icons not a virus just a program that wants to load but cannot i are explorer the icons taskbar windows - shown not guess the task manager volume amp sound driver app icon appears plus the nvidia icon also and the microsoft security essentials i am missing some icons like the safely remove hardware etc in total i windows explorer - the taskbar icons are not shown used to have like or icons now including messenger and outlook windows explorer - the taskbar icons are not shown minimized to the taskbar icon i have when should be not less than any registry tweak to complete disable the hide inactive icons i remember before this issue occur i installed some update that every time i booted the ballon tip appeared alone in the taskbar warning me it was hidding my inactive icons that just like minute after logging in while the windows explorer was starting up i guess this created some nasty jam that now the ballon does not pop up and makes the icon permanently hidden as i said after i got them missing disabled the hide inactive icons also i used a utility from microsoft to see everything that loads up with the os drivers boot execute programs run once etc i disabled all the third party stuff i dont need sure i log in faster but still the same issue help nbsp

Relevancy 56.33%

Hello all I am encountering an issue where windows seems to load and run fine with starts, icons desktop but no taskbar Windows or the exception that the task bar and any desktop items do not appear with the exception of my wallpaper I am able to open task manager and was able to run iexplore through there I have ran HijackThis and the log is below If anyone has ANY ideas on what I could do to resolve this it would be greatly appreciated I am running XP sp but other than Windows starts, but no taskbar or desktop icons that I don t know much off hand If there are any commands I can run that will get me any info needed just let me know and I ll do that Again any help would be greatly appreciated Thanks Mike Here is the log from HijackThis Logfile of Trend Micro HijackThis v Scan saved at PM on Platform Windows XP SP WinNT MSIE Internet Explorer v Boot mode Normal Running processes C WINDOWS System smss exe C WINDOWS system winlogon exe C WINDOWS system services exe C WINDOWS system lsass exe C WINDOWS system svchost exe C WINDOWS System svchost exe C Program Files Intel Wireless Bin EvtEng exe C Program Files Intel Wireless Bin S EvMon exe C WINDOWS system spoolsv exe C Program Files Common Files Apple Mobile Device Support bin AppleMobileDeviceService exe C PROGRA AVG AVG avgwdsvc exe C Program Files Bonjour mDNSResponder exe C WINDOWS system lxdvcoms exe C Program Files Microsoft SQL Server MSSQL VAIO VEDB Binn sqlservr exe C Program Files Intel Wireless Bin RegSrvc exe C WINDOWS system svchost exe C Program Files Sony VAIO Event Service VESMgr exe C Program Files Common Files Sony Shared VAIO Entertainment Platform VCSW VCSW exe C PROGRA AVG AVG avgemc exe C PROGRA AVG AVG avgrsx exe C PROGRA AVG AVG avgnsx exe C Program Files Common Files Sony Shared VAIO Entertainment Platform VzCdb VzCdbSvc exe C Program Files Common Files Sony Shared VAIO Entertainment Platform VzCdb VzFw exe C Program Files AVG AVG avgcsrvx exe C Program Files Common Files Sony Shared VAIO Entertainment VzRs VzRs exe C WINDOWS system taskmgr exe C Program Files Internet Explorer IEXPLORE EXE C WINDOWS system ctfmon exe C Program Files Trend Micro HijackThis HijackThis exe R - HKLM Software Microsoft Internet Explorer Main Default Page URL http go microsoft com fwlink LinkId R - HKLM Software Microsoft Internet Explorer Main Default Search URL http go microsoft com fwlink LinkId R - HKLM Software Microsoft Internet Explorer Main Search Page http go microsoft com fwlink LinkId R - HKLM Software Microsoft Internet Explorer Main Start Page http go microsoft com fwlink LinkId R - HKCU Software Microsoft Internet Connection Wizard ShellNext http www sony com vaiopeople R - HKCU Software Microsoft Windows CurrentVersion Internet Settings ProxyOverride local R - URLSearchHook AOLSearchHook Class - EB EA-E BE- CFD- F F-C A C EAFA - C Program Files AOL AOL Search Enhancement AOLSearch dll O - BHO AcroIEHlprObj Class - E F-C D - D -B D- B D BE B - C Program Files Adobe Acrobat ActiveX AcroIEHelper dll O - BHO WormRadar com IESiteBlocker NavFilter - CA F - F E- B -A E- E E C C - C Program Files AVG AVG avgssie dll O - BHO AOL Search Enhancement - EB EA-E BE- CFD- F F-C A C EAFA - C Program Files AOL AOL Search Enhancement AOLSearch dll O - HKLM Run IgfxTray C WINDOWS system igfxtray exe O - HKLM Run HotKeysCmds C WINDOWS system hkcmd exe O - HKLM Run Persistence C WINDOWS system igfxpers exe O - HKLM Run Apoint C Program Files Apoint Apoint exe O - HKLM Run RTHDCPL RTHDCPL EXE O - HKLM Run Alcmtr ALCMTR EXE O - HKLM Run AzMixerSel C Program Files Realtek InstallShield AzMixerSel exe O - HKLM Run VAIO Recovery C WINDOWS Sonysys VAIO Recovery PartSeal exe O - HKLM Run SunJavaUpdateSched C Program Files Java jre bin jusched exe O - HKLM Run TVTunerLib C Program Files Common Files Sony Shared TVTunerLib TVTLInstTool exe O - HKLM Run SonyPowerCfg C Program Files Sony VAIO Power Management SPMgr exe O - HKLM Run ISBMgr exe C Program Files Sony ISB Utility ISBMgr exe O - H... Read more

A:Windows starts, but no taskbar or desktop icons

Hi, Welcome to TSG!!

You have or had some Malicious software on your machine. What steps have you taken?

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/windows-starts-but-no-taskbar-or-desktop-icons.796090/
Relevancy 56.33%

My wife s PC has had this problem for about a month or windows taskbar XP flashing, switch can't icons so I ve gotten around it with system restores but it comes back eventually Here s the deal From a blank taskbar I open say IE The icon on the taskbar will start flashing Open another window say Outlook and it will start flashing Try and click on IE s icon in the taskbar and BOTH will start flashing and Outlook is still the XP taskbar icons flashing, can't switch windows active app Open a third app and all three will start flashing The only way to switch between windows in with Alt-Tab Anybody have any ideas AVG comes up clean Spybot and AdAware show nothing Here s a Hijack This log but after I did a system restore to quot fix quot the issue Logfile of HijackThis v Scan saved at AM on Platforam Windows XP SP WinNT MSIE Internet Explorer v SP Running processes C WINDOWS System smss exe C WINDOWS system winlogon exe C WINDOWS system services exe C WINDOWS system lsass exe C WINDOWS system svchost exe C WINDOWS System svchost exe C WINDOWS Explorer EXE C WINDOWS system spoolsv exe C PROGRA Grisoft AVGFRE avgamsvr exe C PROGRA Grisoft AVGFRE avgupsvc exe C WINDOWS System svchost exe C WINDOWS system fxssvc exe C WINDOWS system spool drivers w x hpztsb exe C PROGRA Grisoft AVGFRE avgcc exe C PROGRA ScanSoft PAPERP PPWebCap exe C Program Files D-Link AirPlus G AirPlus exe C Program Files Trillian trillian exe C Program Files Internet Explorer iexplore exe C hijack this HijackThis exe R - HKCU Software Microsoft Internet Explorer Main Start Page http groups yahoo com mygroups R - HKCU Software Microsoft Internet Connection Wizard ShellNext http windowsupdate microsoft com O - BHO AcroIEHlprObj Class - E F-C D - D -B D- B D BE B - C Program Files Adobe Acrobat ActiveX AcroIEHelper dll O - BHO no name - B DE- C - BF-B B- B F A E - C Program Files Microsoft Money System mnyside dll O - BHO Google Toolbar Helper - AA ED - DD- d - -CF F - c program files google googletoolbar dll O - Toolbar amp Google - C B - - d - B - A CD F - c program files google googletoolbar dll O - HKLM Run HPDJ Taskbar Utility C WINDOWS system spool drivers w x hpztsb exe O - HKLM Run AVG CC C PROGRA Grisoft AVGFRE avgcc exe STARTUP O - HKCU Run PPWebCap C PROGRA ScanSoft PAPERP PPWebCap exe O - Startup Trillian lnk C Program Files Trillian trillian exe O - Global Startup D-Link AirPlus G Configuration Utility lnk O - Extra context menu item amp Google Search - res c program files google GoogleToolbar dll cmsearch html O - Extra context menu item Backward Links - res c program files google GoogleToolbar dll cmbacklinks html O - Extra context menu item Cached Snapshot of Page - res c program files google GoogleToolbar dll cmcache html O - Extra context menu item E amp xport to Microsoft Excel - res C PROGRA MICROS OFFICE EXCEL EXE O - Extra context menu item Similar Pages - res c program files google GoogleToolbar dll cmsimilar html O - Extra context menu item Translate into English - res c program files google GoogleToolbar dll cmtrans html O - Extra button no name - B E C - FCB- CF-AAA - C - C Program Files Java jre bin npjpi dll O - Extra Tools menuitem Sun Java Console - B E C - FCB- CF-AAA - C - C Program Files Java jre bin npjpi dll O - Extra button Research - B - CC- C -B BE- C C A - C PROGRA MICROS OFFICE REFIEBAR DLL O - Extra button Real com - CD F -D E - d - FE- C F AFE - C WINDOWS System Shdocvw dll O - Extra button MoneySide - E F - C A- -A E -A DEA A - C Program Files Microsoft Money System mnyside dll O - Extra button Messenger - FB F -F - d -BB E- C F - C Program Files Messenger msmsgs exe O - Extra Tools menuitem Windows Messenger - FB F -F - d -BB E- C F - C Program Files Messenger msmsgs exe O - DPF YExplorer US CAB - http photos groups yahoo com ocx us yexplorer us cab O - DPF C E-FA D- -BACC-D C EF EPUImageControl Class - http tools ebayimg com eps wl activex EPUWALControl v - - - cab O - DPF F E B A- A - CA- - D CB MSN Photo Upload Tool - http... Read more

A:XP taskbar icons flashing, can't switch windows

Do you have TweakUI for XP installed? Look under General, Focus and try different settings for applications and whether they are allowed to "steal focus". This may be a setting applied by some other "tweaker" or system customization tool, or it may be malware. Either way, this may give you control, and you can then scan for the bad guys.

http://www.snapfiles.com/reviews/TweakUI_XP/tweakuixp.html

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/xp-taskbar-icons-flashing-cant-switch-windows.377715/
Relevancy 56.33%

Hello My windows xp sp is now booting without a taskbar and desktop icons I have run Avast and malwarebytes and taskbar NO or to desktop Icons Windows boots nothing was found So I ran combofix before I saw all the warnings the log is attached Windows boots to NO taskbar or desktop Icons see anything Any help would be greatly appreciated ComboFix - - - Alan Foral - x Microsoft Windows XP Professional GMT - Running from c documents and settings Alan Foral Desktop ComboFix exeAV avast Antivirus On-access scanning disabled Updated DB - F - A -B - A FD D WARNING -THIS MACHINE DOES NOT HAVE THE RECOVERY CONSOLE INSTALLED Other Deletions c documents and settings Alan Foral g mdlhlpx exec program files filesubmitc program files filesubmit Tng Theme Tng Theme zipc windows system datc windows Windows boots to NO taskbar or desktop Icons system azip dllc windows system ccrpTmr dllc windows system drivers npf sysc windows system dzgtactx dllc windows system Packet dllc windows system systemc windows system WanPacket dllc windows system wpcap dll Drivers Services ------- Legacy NPF------- Legacy SSHNAS------- Service NPF Files Created from - - to - - - - - - ----a-w- c windows Alcmtr exe - - - - -------- d-----w- c documents and settings Alan Foral gem - - - - -------- d-----w- C Ruby - - - - -------- d-----w- c windows hsperfdata Alan Foral - - - - -------- d-----w- c program files Aptana - - - - -------- d-----w- c documents and settings Alan Foral editrocket - - - - -------- d-----w- c documents and settings Alan Foral rs - - - - -------- d-----w- c program files EditRocket - - - - ----a-w- c program files Mozilla Firefox plugins nprjplug dll - - - - ----a-w- c program files Mozilla Firefox plugins nppl dll - - - - ----a-w- c program files Mozilla Firefox plugins nprpjplug dll - - - - -------- d-----w- c program files Common Files xing shared - - - - ----a-w- c program files Internet Explorer Plugins RichFX Player nprfxins dll - - - - -------- d-----w- c program files real - - - - -------- d-----w- c program files Vectorian Inc - - - - -------- d-----w- c documents and settings NetworkService Local Settings Application Data smscut - - - - -------- d-----w- c program files EmailLock - - - - -------- d-----w- C tmp - - - - -------- d-----w- c documents and settings All Users Application Data FreeHideIP - - - - -------- d-----w- c documents and settings Alan Foral Application Data FreeHideIP - - - - -------- d-----w- c program files WinSCP - - - - -------- d-----w- c documents and settings All Users Application Data VanDyke - - - - -------- d-----w- c program files Offline Explorer - - - - -------- d-----w- c documents and settings Alan Foral Application Data Offline Explorer - - - - -------- d-----w- c program files Offline Explorer Pro - - - - ----a-w- c windows system drivers aswFsBlk sys - - - - ----a-w- c windows system drivers aswSP sys - - - - ----a-w- c windows system drivers aswRdr sys - - - - ----a-w- c windows system drivers aswTdi sys - - - - ----a-w- c windows system drivers aswmon sys - - - - ----a-w- c windows system drivers aswmon sys - - - - ----a-w- c windows system drivers aavmker sys - - - - ----a-w- c windows avastSS scr - - - - ----a-w- c windows system aswBoot exe - - - - -------- d-----w- c documents and settings All Users Application Data Alwil Software - - - - -------- d-----w- c program files TuneUpMedia - - - - -------- d-----w- c documents and settings Alan Foral Application Data TuneUpMedia - - - - -------- d-----w- c documents and settings All Users Application Data TuneUpMedia - - - - -------- d-----w- c program files iPod - - - - -------- d-----w- c program files iTunes - - - - -------- d-----w- c documents and settings Alan Foral Local Settings Application Data MozSwing - - - - -------- d-----w- c program files SEO PowerSuite - - - - -------- d-----w- c documents and settings Alan Foral Local Settings Application Data TechSmith - - - - ----a-w- c windows system tsccvid dll - - - - -------- d-----w- c windo... Read more

A:Windows boots to NO taskbar or desktop Icons

Hello and welcome to Bleeping ComputerWe apologize for the delay in responding to your request for help. Here at Bleeping Computer we get overwhelmed at times, and we are trying our best to keep up. Please note that your topic was not intentionally overlooked. Our mission is to help everyone in need, but sometimes it takes just a little longer to get to every request for help. No one is ignored here.If you have since resolved the original problem you were having, we would appreciate you letting us know. If not please perform the following steps below so we can have a look at the current condition of your machine. Please include a clear description of the problems you're having, along with any steps you may have performed so far.Please refrain from running tools or applying updates other than those we suggest while we are cleaning up your computer. The reason for this is so we know what is going on with the machine at any time. Some programs can interfere with others and hamper the recovery process.Even if you have already provided information about your PC, we need a new log to see what has changed since you originally posted your problem.We need to create an OTL ReportPlease download OTL from one of the following mirrors:This is THE MirrorSave it to your desktop.Double click on the icon on your desktop.Click the "Scan All Users" checkbox.In the custom scan box paste the following:

msconfig
safebootminimal
activex
drivers32
netsvcs
%SYSTEMDRIVE%\*.exe
/md5start
winlogon.exe
wininit.exe
explorer.exe
hlp.dat
/md5stop
%systemroot%\*. /mp /s
%systemroot%\system32\*.dll /lockedfiles
%systemroot%\Tasks\*.job /lockedfiles
%systemroot%\system32\drivers\*.sys /lockedfiles
%systemroot%\System32\config\*.sav
%systemroot%\system32\drivers\*.sys /90Push the button.Two reports will open, copy and paste them in a reply here:OTL.txt <-- Will be openedExtra.txt<--Will be minimizedIn the upper right hand corner of the topic you will see a button called Options. If you click on this in the drop-down menu you can choose Track this topic. I suggest you do this and select Immediate E-Mail notification and click on Proceed. This way you will be advised when we respond to your topic and facilitate the cleaning of your machine.After 5 days if a topic is not replied to we assume it has been abandoned and it is closed.regards myrti

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/354362/windows-boots-to-no-taskbar-or-desktop-icons/
Relevancy 55.9%

Good morning everyone I came across this forum while searching for help with a computer issue I m hoping you can help me Our sales director has a Dell Latitude E laptop with Win XP Pro I did all the updates before this problem occurred It s brand new and he decided to use the program PC Locator to move everything from his old laptop to his new laptop He says load fails Windows to icons/taskbar Explorer - no he did Windows Explorer fails to load - no icons/taskbar that it said it did it successfully but when he restarted the program right after using the program the computer won t finish loading Windows Explorer It will get to the Welcome screen and you can choose Windows Explorer fails to load - no icons/taskbar your user but after that it will show the desktop background but no icons or taskbar and gives the error that Windows Explorer Windows Explorer fails to load - no icons/taskbar has encountered a problem and needs to close Error messages http i photobucket com albums jj Ruatha jpg http i photobucket com albums jj Ruatha jpg Can anyone help me figure out what is going on Could he have transferred a virus or anything from his old laptop He was prone to downloading everything under the sun although he did have Vipre anti-virus on there and I installed Kapersky Anti-Virus on his new laptop BEFORE he copied everything over but it was FULL of junk I ran a standard diagnostic test as well and it came up with the following errors Error Code D Msg VIDEO - No BIOS support for SMI interface function I have no idea where to go from here Anyone have suggestions I m a intermediate computer user but haven t really run into problems like this before Kathleen nbsp

A:Windows Explorer fails to load - no icons/taskbar

Came across the same problem. It is a virus problem and I had to reformat to fix it. Usually it is a virus associated with a crack .exe file.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/windows-explorer-fails-to-load-no-icons-taskbar.816291/
Relevancy 55.9%

So I recently restored my computer and went to install all possible updates and now pinned taskbar icons can't be changed. I think it has to do with an update released sometime in the past month or two because I noticed my family computer also has this problem. So I restored mine back to factory and can change icons once again. I didn't install/modify anything apart from windows updates. Is anyone else experiencing this?

A:Taskbar Icons Won't Change (Suspect a Windows Update)

I've not experienced this, nor heard of anyone else who has. Do you mean the icons for the loaded windows lined up on the Taskbar, or the icons of the programs showing within the System Tray?

http://www.eightforums.com/customization/65791-taskbar-icons-wont-change-suspect-windows-update.html
Relevancy 55.9%

Dear Members,

I am facing a typical problem with Laptop Lenovo G50-80 with following configuration :
Core i3 - 4GB RAM - 1TB Harddisk - AMD Radeon Graphics Card - 15.6" Screen - Windows 10 Home SL.

The problem i face is when i start Laptop Windows 10 starts... Desktop icons are displayed but Taskbar icons and icons on system tray are not displayed. Time and date are also not displayed. If i do not do anything the system state remains as it is. But if i double click on Taskbar the icons are displayed and then i can use the Laptop.

I tired following things :

I used one touch recovery to restore to factory default settings ( Twice )
Chkdsk with /r /f

But the problem remains same.

Can anybody please suggest solution ?

Manish Shah

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/628207/taskbar-system-tray-icons-dont-appear-when-windows-10-starts/
Relevancy 55.9%

Hi There,
I am trying to get my windows 2000 to look more user friendly, and I have found some different options. I am trying to find the .dll files in which the images for icons, The taskbar e.t.c are located.

Please can anyone inform me as to where I can find any of these, or simular these files.

I hope that makes sense. Any help is much appreciated.
Matt

A:Windows Icons, Taskbar, Sound, Tolbar Files

Good luck on finding all of them, You would need to be a Microsoft programmer to find all of them types of files.

If you want Windows 2000 to look more user friendly I would suggest going to Windows XP Pro.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/windows-icons-taskbar-sound-tolbar-files.577703/
Relevancy 55.9%

I wanted to ask whether anyone knew how to change the icons for programs pinned to the taskbar in windows 8.1. For example changing the icon for VLC from it's usual traffic cone to some symbol of the user's own choosing. Or changing the size of some of the icons, so things you want to use more often have larger icons and things you use less often have smaller icons. Or perhaps editing an icon for a program on their so that the icon becomes the usual icon for the program but with a dark or bright coloured line around it, or a load of small inward pointing arrows. Or switching one from colour to greyscale. Is this possible to do? How?All I could find from google searches were things about how to add and remove icons, or change the look of the taskbar as a whole.Thank You 

Songsinh.

A:Windows 8.1 taskbar, changing icons of pinned programs?

Hi songsinh1241 I'm pretty sure it's possible. The icons you pinned to your taskbar are located in the following folder:C:\Users\<UserName>\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Quick Launch\User Pinned\TaskBarFrom there, right-click on any icon and select Properties. Click on the Change icon... buttom and select a new one, then apply the changes. Once done, the icon for the program in the taskbar should change.

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/587338/windows-81-taskbar-changing-icons-of-pinned-programs/
Relevancy 55.9%

Desperate situation here I have WIN SP After logon the desktop is black with no icons There is no taskbar no start button The shortcuts WIN R WIN E WIN F etc are not Black reinstall no no windows even after taskbar icons, desktop, working The problem is also there in safe mode I read many things about explorer exe being corrupted or infected My Black desktop, no icons, no taskbar even after windows reinstall C Windows explorer exe file is bytes I tried many suggestions -I made sure there are no multiple displays in Display settings -I updated and run Malwarebytes Anti-Malware -I did a system restore -I run SFC SCANNOW and took Windows Resource Protection found corrupt files but was unable to fix some of them but in the log file CBS Log I found only errors Cannot repair member file about wmp dll of Windows Media Player so I did nothing cause Windows Media Player is irrelevant -I even did a windows reinstall but the problem is still there btw since then windows fails to install many updates including IE so I now have IE -I deleted the iexplorer exe in key HKEY LOCAL MACHINE SOFTWARE Microsoft Windows NT CurrentVersion Image File Execution options there was no explorer exe key to delete -I made sure the value in HKEY LOCAL MACHINE SOFTWARE Microsoft Windows NT CurrentVersion Winlogon Shell is Explorer exe -I did a Quick Scan with a Windows Defender Offline cd and found nothing -I created a new Windows user Nothing worked I cannot work on my pc and I am really desperate

A:Black desktop, no icons, no taskbar even after windows reinstall

I would say try another reinstall, but Im not sure if thats the case here. I have had several times when my computer would just do all this weird crap right after a reinstall sometimes. But I never heard of a iexplorer.exe being 2kb....

Sorry forgot to read the bottom, I dont know

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/549229/black-desktop-no-icons-no-taskbar-even-after-windows-reinstall/
Relevancy 55.9%

I'm never the one to ask, but I don't know what happened. I tried looking online but I couldn't find any solutions. It seems like all my icons (including folders) are not showing up in windows explorer, taskbar, or the desktop anymore. This isn't too big a problem, but navigating through my picture library is very complicated without thumbnails.

My PC is pretty heavily customized.
I also cannot open the start menu from the taskbar anymore. I click the startorb and nothing appears.

Screenshots

Also, while I was uploaded the three screenshots to imgur, the icons showed up on the popup to windows explorer.

A:Icons & Thumbnails don't appear in windows explorer or taskbar anymore

start off with a SFC /SCANNOW Command - System File Checker and restart when finished.

http://www.sevenforums.com/general-discussion/219462-icons-thumbnails-dont-appear-windows-explorer-taskbar-anymore.html
Relevancy 55.9%

Hi,

I am facing this problem with my laptop. It seems it has something to do with the Winfixer problem.

I am unable to see any of my desktop icons or the taskbar. Neither can I right click on my desktop. It has totally deactivated. I am using my laptop through the task manager-->New Task option. Please help as I have tried to work on it and have finally given up.

Annie

A:Desktop icons and taskbar disappeared [MOVED FROM WINDOWS]

A temporary solution may be task manager, new task, then type "explorer".
That should bring up the familiar windows explorer so you can don't have to use task manager all the time. As for why this has happened, not sure, will look up your particular problem.

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f100/desktop-icons-and-taskbar-disappeared-moved-from-windows-175770.html
Relevancy 55.9%

Desperate situation here I have WIN SP After logon the desktop is black with no icons There is no taskbar no start button The shortcuts WIN R WIN E WIN F etc are not working The no Black after no windows desktop, even reinstall taskbar icons, problem is also there in safe mode I read many things about explorer exe being corrupted or infected My C Windows explorer exe file is bytes I tried many suggestions -I made sure there are no multiple displays in Display settings -I updated and run Malwarebytes Anti-Malware -I did a system restore -I run Black desktop, no icons, no taskbar even after windows reinstall SFC SCANNOW and took quot Windows Resource Protection Black desktop, no icons, no taskbar even after windows reinstall found corrupt files but was unable Black desktop, no icons, no taskbar even after windows reinstall to fix some of them quot but in the log file CBS Log I found only errors quot Cannot repair member file quot about wmp dll of Windows Media Player so I did nothing cause Windows Media Player is irrelevant -I even did a windows reinstall but the problem is still there btw since then windows fails to install many updates including IE so I now have IE -I deleted the quot iexplorer exe quot in key quot HKEY LOCAL MACHINE SOFTWARE Microsoft Windows NT CurrentVersion Image File Execution options quot there was no quot explorer exe quot key to delete -I made sure the value in HKEY LOCAL MACHINE SOFTWARE Microsoft Windows NT CurrentVersion Winlogon Shell is Explorer exe -I did a Quick Scan with a Windows Defender Offline cd and found nothing -I created a new Windows user Nothing worked I cannot work on my pc and I am really desperate

As you have tried many things that i would suggest, i am wondering if the disk you are using to install the updates is corrupt?

Have you to tried to use another disk?

I can provide you with the links if needed.

http://www.sevenforums.com/general-discussion/346318-black-desktop-no-icons-no-taskbar-even-after-windows-reinstall.html
Relevancy 55.9%

My son gave me his Presario 700 laptop. Yesterday I turned it on and all it would do is go to the wallpaper and then nothing. I do not get any icons or start button. I was able to get on line by going to the ctrl,alt,del and getting the task window and doing a search.

I can not find the restore disk and my son is in Irag, so I can not ask him where it is. My question is, is there a way to restore by using the task window to find the file?

Thanks,
Armymom

A:Windows desktop doesn`t show. No icons or taskbar etc.

Is this Windows XP? I guess what you could do is search for rstrui.exe, it's the system restore utility, and try that out. You can find it in C:\Windows\system32\Restore (at least on my computer.)

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/windows-desktop-doesn-t-show-no-icons-or-taskbar-etc.57813/
Relevancy 55.9%

How do I change the way active/open taskbar icons look? I want to get rid of the blurred box around the icons and have a different effect such as a small indicator light under them to let me know they're open. Is that possible?

A:Change the way active/open taskbar icons look in Windows 7

I use classic theme though that sounds like a great idea... I doubt this can be done via any ico file or what have you. Would require a custom theme or third party application. I found another thread on here that asked the question. This is apparently controlled by DWM, and the closest thing you can do is a use a coloured theme and the blur will be a different shade of what ever colour you chose. The last thread was in mention of modifying the contrast here: How to change colors icons from the taskbar ?

http://www.sevenforums.com/customization/356078-change-way-active-open-taskbar-icons-look-windows-7-a.html
Relevancy 55.9%

Desperate situation here I have WIN SP After logon the desktop is black with no icons There is reinstall Black no desktop, even windows after icons, no taskbar no taskbar no start button The shortcuts WIN R WIN E WIN F etc are not working The problem is also there in safe mode I read many things about explorer exe being corrupted or infected My C Windows explorer exe file is bytes I tried many suggestions -I made sure there are no multiple displays in Display settings -I updated and run Malwarebytes Anti-Malware -I did a system restore -I run SFC SCANNOW and took quot Windows Resource Protection found corrupt files but was unable to fix some of them quot but in the log file CBS Log I found only errors quot Cannot repair member file quot about wmp dll of Windows Media Player so I did nothing cause Windows Media Player is irrelevant -I even did a windows reinstall but the problem is still there btw since then Black desktop, no icons, no taskbar even after windows reinstall windows fails to install many updates including IE so I now have IE -I deleted the quot iexplorer exe quot in key quot HKEY LOCAL MACHINE SOFTWARE Microsoft Windows NT CurrentVersion Black desktop, no icons, no taskbar even after windows reinstall Image File Execution options quot there was no quot explorer exe quot key to delete -I made sure the value in HKEY LOCAL MACHINE SOFTWARE Microsoft Windows NT CurrentVersion Winlogon Shell is Explorer exe -I did a Quick Scan with a Windows Defender Offline cd and found nothing -I created a new Windows user Nothing worked I cannot work on my pc and I am really desperate

Quote:

I even did a windows reinstall, but the problem is still there! (btw, since then, windows fails to install many updates including IE11, so I now have IE8)

You reinstalled Windows and have a black screen, can't open programs how are you running Windows update?

Brand and model of the PC?

Did you reinstall using a Windows disc or a recovery partition on the hard drive?

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f217/black-desktop-no-icons-no-taskbar-even-after-windows-reinstall-895994.html
Relevancy 55.9%

I wanted to ask whether anyone knew how to change the icons for programs pinned to the taskbar in windows 8.1.
For example changing the icon for VLC from it's usual traffic cone to some symbol of the user's own choosing.
Or changing the size of some of the icons, so things you want to use more often have larger icons and things you use less often have smaller icons.
Or perhaps editing an icon for a program on their so that the icon becomes the usual icon for the program but with a dark or bright coloured line around it, or a load of small inward pointing arrows.
Or switching one from colour to greyscale.
Is this possible to do? How?
All I could find from google searches were things about how to add and remove icons, or change the look of the taskbar as a whole.
Thank You

A:Windows 8.1 taskbar, changing icons of pinned programs?

Hi rp88 You just have to change the icon of the shortcut or application that you drag in the taskbar, it'll keep that icon. Just tested it myself and it worked

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/573824/windows-81-taskbar-changing-icons-of-pinned-programs/
Relevancy 55.9%

On my Surface Pro in Windows and tech preview my taskbar icons are blank for any Windows Store apps The icons are normal for other apps Store Apps Taskbar Windows Icons for Blank like MS Office Explorer etc I am betting it has something to do with a group policy But I can't find anyone else out there with this problem I've reimaged the device upgraded from - gt - gt Nothing has changed When I first got the Surface - it all worked great I could see the icons fine As soon as I joined the device to our corporate domain that is when the problem started happening I have tried connecting to the internet from home thinking it was a network firewall issue at work but that did not solve Blank Taskbar Icons for Windows Store Apps it See the attached screenshot it's a screenshot of Windows - but Blank Taskbar Icons for Windows Store Apps the same thing was happening in Windows and It does this for any of the quot apps quot Any ideas what group policies might affect this Any other Blank Taskbar Icons for Windows Store Apps ideas Dan

A:Blank Taskbar Icons for Windows Store Apps

Hi Dan,
Welcome to the forums, try this:Notification Area Icons - Reset - Windows 7 Help Forums

http://www.eightforums.com/general-support/61467-blank-taskbar-icons-windows-store-apps.html
Relevancy 55.9%

Here is our dilemma. At the community college I work at, the librarians have requested that certain icons be pinned to the taskbar for all users. By default, Internet Explorer, File Explorer, and Store are pinned on the taskbar in Windows 8.1.

Well, they want none of those icons pinned to the taskbar, but they do want other icons pinned. I have tried a script to get rid of them on logon, but it deletes the icons so slowly that users can actually notice the icons disappearing on logon (it takes about 2 seconds per icon to delete). The librarians dislike this.

So, has anyone figured out the mechanism that creates these three icons? I would like to figure out a way to disable their creation in the first place, if possible. Already, Windows will allow additional icons to be added; it simply won't allow these three to be removed.

A:How to remove default pinned taskbar icons in Windows 8.1?

Right click and select "unpin this program from the taskbar". I have that option for all three on my Windows 8.1 system.

http://www.eightforums.com/general-support/51158-how-remove-default-pinned-taskbar-icons-windows-8-1-a.html
Relevancy 55.9%

On my ASUS N550, Windows 8.1, my taskbar icons are blank for any Windows Store apps. The icons are normal for other apps (like MS Office, Explorer, etc...).

It was working before and all of sudden, it stopped working! To start with, I thought it was the graphic card driver and I did all the updates but it didnt work.

In case you need to know; my computer is not connected with any business policy, I am just using my hotmail account.

Many thanks

Exact same issue as in this thread but solution doesn't work for me: http://www.eightforums.com/general-support/61467-blank-taskbar-icons-windows-store-apps.html#post496628

http://www.eightforums.com/software-apps/65397-blank-taskbar-icons-windows-store-apps.html
Relevancy 55.47%

All of a sudden the following symptoms (all at the same time)::
1. Taskbar icons gone (replaced by a neutral identical icon) except Edge and Store
2. In File Explorer, no longer thumbnails, no icons either, simply blank, but names show
3. All desktop icons gone; but their names still show and they "work"
4. When I rightclick to "Properties" (on desktop icons, or File Explorer items) nothing happens
5. Control Panel no longer shows icons, names only
Seems rather dramatic.... Anybody any idea?

A:Thumbnails, desktop icons, taskbar icons gone, Properties doesnt work

Please try to right click on the start icon and select Command prompt administrator, give admin permissions and copy/paste this into the window that opens and press enter sfc /scannow . If you decide to type it in, please notice the space between the sfc and the /. We want it to say no integrity violations were found. If it says there where corrupt files that could not be repaired, please reboot and run it again. You may have to run it 3 times with reboots in between each time. See if this helps.

http://www.tenforums.com/general-discussion/38067-thumbnails-desktop-icons-taskbar-icons-gone-properties-doesnt-work.html
Relevancy 55.47%

All of a sudden the following symptoms (all at the same time)::
1. Taskbar icons gone (replaced by a neutral identical icon) except Edge and Store
2. In File Explorer, no longer thumbnails, no icons either, simply blank, but names show
3. All desktop icons gone; but their names still show and they "work"
4. When I rightclick to "Properties" (on desktop icons, or File Explorer items) nothing happens
5. Control Panel no longer shows icons, names only
Seems rather dramatic.... Anybody any idea?

A:Tumbnails, desktop icons, taskbar icons gone, Properties doesnt work

Please try to right click on the start icon and select Command prompt administrator, give admin permissions and copy/paste this into the window that opens and press enter sfc /scannow . If you decide to type it in, please notice the space between the sfc and the /. We want it to say no integrity violations were found. If it says there where corrupt files that could not be repaired, please reboot and run it again. You may have to run it 3 times with reboots in between each time. See if this helps.

http://www.tenforums.com/general-discussion/38067-tumbnails-desktop-icons-taskbar-icons-gone-properties-doesnt-work.html
Relevancy 55.47%

Deckard's System Scanner v Run by Jared on - - Computer is in Normal flashing slow + very icons mainpage load application + Taskbar keep loadin icons dont Mode -------------------------------------------------------------------------------- -- System Restore -------------------------------------------------------------- Successfully created a Deckard's System Scanner Restore Point -- Last Restore Point s -- - - UTC - RP - Deckard's System Scanner Restore Point - - UTC - RP - Restore Operation - - UTC - RP - when my computer screwed up - - UTC - RP - System Checkpoint - - UTC - RP - April -- First Restore Point -- - - UTC - RP - Software Distribution Service Backed up registry hives Performed disk cleanup Total Physical Memory MiB MiB recommended -- HijackThis Clone ------------------------------------------------------------ Emulating logfile of Trend Micro HijackThis v Scan saved at - - Platform Windows XP Service Pack v MSIE Internet Explorer Boot Taskbar icons dont load + mainpage icons keep flashing + very slow application loadin mode Normal Running processes C WINDOWS Taskbar icons dont load + mainpage icons keep flashing + very slow application loadin system smss exe C WINDOWS system winlogon exe C WINDOWS system services exe C WINDOWS system lsass exe C WINDOWS system svchost exe C Program Files Windows Defender MsMpEng exe C WINDOWS system svchost exe C WINDOWS explorer exe C WINDOWS system spoolsv exe C Program Files Grisoft AVG avgcc exe C Program Files Windows Defender MSASCui exe C Program Files Common Files Apple Mobile Device Support bin AppleMobileDeviceService exe C Program Files Java jre bin jusched exe C Program Files Grisoft AVG avgamsvr exe C Program Files iTunes iTunesHelper exe C Program Files Linksys Wireless-G USB Wireless Network Monitor InfoMyCa exe C WINDOWS system rundll exe C WINDOWS RTHDCPL exe C Program Files Grisoft AVG avgupsvc exe C Documents and Settings Jared svchost exe C Program Files Grisoft AVG avgemc exe C Program Files Windows Live Messenger msnmsgr exe C Program Files Google Common Google Updater GoogleUpdaterService exe C WINDOWS system nvsvc exe C Program Files Google Google Updater GoogleUpdater exe C Program Files Linksys Wireless-G USB Wireless Network Monitor WLService exe C Program Files Xfire xfire exe C Program Files Linksys Wireless-G USB Wireless Network Monitor WUSB Gv exe C Program Files iPod bin iPodService exe C WINDOWS system svchost exe C Program Files LimeWire LimeWire exe C Program Files Internet Explorer iexplore exe C Documents and Settings Jared Local Settings Temporary Internet Files Content IE LDNXG S dss exe C Program Files Internet Explorer iexplore exe C Program Files Internet Explorer iexplore exe R - HKCU Software Microsoft Internet Explorer Main Search Bar http www google com ie R - HKCU Software Microsoft Internet Explorer Main Search Page http www google com R - HKCU Software Microsoft Internet Explorer Main Start Page http www google ca R - HKCU Software Microsoft Internet Explorer Search SearchAssistant http www google com ie R - HKCU Software Microsoft Internet Explorer SearchURL Default http www google com search q s R - HKCU Software Microsoft Internet Connection Wizard ShellNext iexplore R - HKLM Software Microsoft Internet Explorer Main Default Page URL http www yahoo com R - HKLM Software Microsoft Internet Explorer Main Default Search URL http www google com ie R - HKLM Software Microsoft Internet Explorer Main Start Page http www yahoo com R - HKLM Software Microsoft Internet Explorer Search Default Search URL http www google com ie R - HKLM Software Microsoft Internet Explorer Search SearchAssistant http www google com ie O - BHO no name - D -C F - efb- B - ECA - no file O - BHO Adobe PDF Reader Link Helper - E F-C D - D -B D- B D BE B - C Program Files Common Files Adobe Acrobat ActiveX AcroIEHelper dll O - BHO no name - BAE F -D FA- B D-A EE- FDD BDD A A - C WINDOWS system ddcAtspO dll O - BHO SSVHelper Class - BB-D F - C-B EB-D DAF D D - C... Read more

A:Taskbar icons dont load + mainpage icons keep flashing + very slow application loadin

Hi, welcome to TSF!

If you still need assistance, please post a fresh main.txt log.

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f284/taskbar-icons-dont-load-mainpage-icons-keep-flashing-very-slow-application-loadin-245689.html
Relevancy 55.04%

Desperate situation here I have WIN SP After logon the desktop is black with no icons There is no taskbar no start button The shortcuts WIN R WIN E WIN F etc are not working The problem is also there in safe mode I read many things about explorer exe being corrupted or infected My C Windows explorer exe file is bytes I tried many suggestions -I made sure there are no multiple displays in Display settings -I updated and run Malwarebytes Anti-Malware -I did a system restore -I run SFC even after reinstall windows no icons, desktop, Solved: no Black taskbar SCANNOW and took quot Windows Resource Protection found corrupt files but was unable to fix some of them quot but in the log file CBS Log I found Solved: Black desktop, no icons, no taskbar even after windows reinstall only errors quot Cannot repair member file quot about wmp dll of Windows Media Player so I did nothing cause Solved: Black desktop, no icons, no taskbar even after windows reinstall Windows Media Player is irrelevant -I even did a windows reinstall but the problem is still there btw since then windows fails Solved: Black desktop, no icons, no taskbar even after windows reinstall to install many updates including IE so I now have IE -I deleted the quot iexplorer exe quot in key quot HKEY LOCAL MACHINE SOFTWARE Microsoft Windows NT CurrentVersion Image File Execution options quot there was no quot explorer exe quot key to delete -I made sure the value in HKEY LOCAL MACHINE SOFTWARE Microsoft Windows NT CurrentVersion Winlogon Shell is Explorer exe -I did a Quick Scan with a Windows Defender Offline cd and found nothing -I created a new Windows user Nothing worked I cannot work on my pc and I am really desperate nbsp

A:Solved: Black desktop, no icons, no taskbar even after windows reinstall

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/solved-black-desktop-no-icons-no-taskbar-even-after-windows-reinstall.1133995/
Relevancy 55.04%

I started having profile errors with Chrome on Sunday. I uninstalled and reinstalled Chrome but that didn't solve the problem. I managed to get rid of it by deleting the user and creating a new user. Then Chrome started launching a second icon from the taskbar. I've unpinned it/repinned it, pinned it to the taskbar from the Start menu and it still keeps doing it.

Any help would be appreciated,

A:Windows 7 taskbar creating double Google Chrome icons

I don't know if it will solve this problem, but generally I've found installed chrome has issues. What I did is unpack a chromium snapshot under a user folder. I use C:\Utils for small utilities that don't need to be installed. Not being under Program Files the Windows system doesn't mess with the folder. But that's an aside. If you get the chrome-win32.zip file instead of installer, then unzip it to a new folder while the old chrome is still installed on your system, it should automatically pick up your bookmarks and settings.

Once you have it running correctly, remove the installed chrome.

If you try any of the chromium snap shots, the bleeding edge new versions, it's a good idea to back up your AppData\Local\Chromium folder as well as the folder that has the exe(the one you unzipped into.) That way if you get a bug you can just copy the saved folder contents back over. I keep a save folder for each chromium major version number I try such as 21.x 22.x etc..

It sounds complicated but I've been running chromium from snap shot zip files for over a year. It's just as stable as the production version unless you encounter a big bug. I keep the zip files with the version and build embedded in the name. If I have to go back to a known working version and my backup folders got hosed I can just unzip.

If you have LastPass and use bookmark sync the only thing you might lose is extention updates(but even those should be good if your back up folder scheme is kept current.)

I'm using 21.0.1156.0 chromium snap shot now. I've been running it since the end of May 2012. It's nice and solid.

edit: you don't have to use a snap shot. You can get chrome-win32.zip download from major sites like Softpedia. But if you want to try the newest you can get snap shots here:

Chromium Snapshots

http://www.sevenforums.com/browsers-mail/238406-windows-7-taskbar-creating-double-google-chrome-icons.html
Relevancy 55.04%

Hi All Recently took the plunge and downloaded Windows I'm still in the process opened pinned right open the Force taskbar of windows icons? to to of tweaking it to my liking and there are Force opened windows to open to the right of pinned taskbar icons? a few things that are driving me nuts and I don't know how or if I can fix them The main problem that is irritating me right now relates to the taskbar and pinned icons I've pinned several commonly used icons which rest nicely on the bottom left However when I click on an icon I notice it will open up right next to the icon itself I really dislike this as it essentially boots all the other objects to the right of that icon to the right which makes it harder to find other objects in that taskbar list that I might want to click on to open The problem gets worse when I click on several pinned items too Is there a way to force open programs to always open to the right of the last icon It was obviously normal possible to do this in XP Win Any advice or assistance would be most appreciated Sincerely Mr Gisa P S - Bonus questions issues that are starting to bother me as well I is there a way to give these opened windows a dark black border like in XP Not a fan of the transparent borders but can't find the option to enable them II I'm reaching here but is there also a way to turn off the fade in out when clicking on a video link or looking at pictures

http://www.tenforums.com/customization/57595-force-opened-windows-open-right-pinned-taskbar-icons.html
Relevancy 55.04%

Hi,
I'm running a Dell Inspiron 6400 with Windows XP Home on it.
My problem is as such:
When ever I close an explorer window, the taskbar and desktop icons disappear for a few seconds...Its quite annoying, and it also closes any other Windows I have open.
Programs don't seem to be affected...

Has anyone come across this problem? And are there any solutions?
Much thanks for any help rendered.

A:Taskbar and Desktop Icons Dissapear After Closing Explorer Windows.

*bump*
Can no one help me?

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/taskbar-and-desktop-icons-dissapear-after-closing-explorer-windows.601650/
Relevancy 55.04%

My computer uses Windows XP with McAfee Security Center When I turned my computer on yesterday the loading process stopped before it would run after it got to my Icons Incomplete and Not Restart/Taskbar Desktop Windows Loading background Thus the CPU stops as if everything is done loading and the startup process has finished but my taskbar and desktop icons don t appear Windows Task Manager is the only thing that I can get to appear Through Windows Task Manager I can perform tasks with CTRL-ALT-DEL so I am able to access the internet and Hijack This System Restore hasn t worked to fix the problem either I m assuming something malignant that McAfee can t detect has gotten into my system Here s my Hijack This Log Logfile of Trend Micro HijackThis v Scan saved at PM on Platform Windows XP SP WinNT MSIE Internet Explorer v Boot mode Normal Running processes C WINDOWS System smss exe C WINDOWS system winlogon exe C WINDOWS system services exe C WINDOWS system lsass exe C WINDOWS system svchost exe C WINDOWS System svchost exe C WINDOWS system spoolsv exe C WINDOWS system acs exe C Program Files Common Files Apple Mobile Device Support bin AppleMobileDeviceService exe C WINDOWS system CTsvcCDA exe C WINDOWS runservice exe C Program Files McAfee MBK MBackMonitor exe C PROGRA McAfee MSC mcmscsvc exe c PROGRA COMMON mcafee mna mcnasvc exe c PROGRA COMMON mcafee mcproxy mcproxy exe C PROGRA McAfee VIRUSS mcshield exe C Program Files McAfee MPF MPFSrv exe C WINDOWS system nvsvc exe C Program Files Dell Support Center bin sprtsvc exe C WINDOWS system svchost exe c PROGRA mcafee com agent mcagent Incomplete Windows Restart/Taskbar and Desktop Icons Not Loading exe C PROGRA McAfee VIRUSS mcsysmon exe C WINDOWS system taskmgr exe C Program Files Mozilla Firefox firefox exe C WINDOWS System svchost Incomplete Windows Restart/Taskbar and Desktop Icons Not Loading exe C Program Files Trend Micro HijackThis hijackthis exe R - HKLM Software Microsoft Internet Explorer Main Default Page URL http go microsoft com fwlink LinkId R - HKLM Software Microsoft Internet Explorer Main Default Incomplete Windows Restart/Taskbar and Desktop Icons Not Loading Search URL http go microsoft com fwlink LinkId R - HKLM Software Microsoft Internet Explorer Main Search Page http go microsoft com fwlink LinkId R - HKLM Software Microsoft Internet Explorer Main Start Page http go microsoft com fwlink LinkId O - BHO AcroIEHelperStub - DF C-E AD- -A -FA C EBDC - C Program Files Common Files Adobe Acrobat ActiveX AcroIEHelperShim dll O - BHO DriveLetterAccess - CA D E- - CF- E - - C WINDOWS System DLA DLASHX W DLL O - BHO SSVHelper Class - BB-D F - C-B EB-D DAF D D - C Program Files Java jre bin ssv dll O - BHO ff fdcc- af -dd - f - c e aa db - bd aa -e c - f - dd- fa ccdf ff - C WINDOWS system egnjkuta dll file missing O - BHO scriptproxy - DB D A - - E -B D- F C - C Program Files McAfee VirusScan scriptsn dll O - BHO Browser Address Error Redirector - CA C - B - E-A -A C DB F - c Program Files BAE BAE dll O - HKLM Run NvCplDaemon RUNDLL EXE C WINDOWS system NvCpl dll NvStartup O - HKLM Run CTHelper CTHELPER EXE O - HKLM Run CTxfiHlp CTXFIHLP EXE O - HKLM Run DMXLauncher C Program Files Dell Media Experience DMXLauncher exe O - HKLM Run CTDVDDET quot C Program Files Creative Sound Blaster X-Fi DVDAudio CTDVDDET EXE quot O - HKLM Run VolPanel quot C Program Files Creative Sound Blaster X-Fi Volume Panel VolPanel exe quot r O - HKLM Run AudioDrvEmulator quot C Program Files Creative Shared Files Module Loader DLLML exe quot - AudioDrvEmulator quot C Program Files Creative Shared Files Module Loader Audio Emulator AudDrvEm dll quot O - HKLM Run UpdReg C WINDOWS UpdReg EXE O - HKLM Run ISUSPM Startup quot c Program Files Common Files InstallShield UpdateService isuspm exe quot -startup O - HKLM Run ISUSScheduler quot C Program Files Common Files InstallShield UpdateService issch exe quot -start O - HKLM Run DLA C WINDOWS System DLA DLACTRLW EXE O - HKLM Run Google Desktop S... Read more

A:Incomplete Windows Restart/Taskbar and Desktop Icons Not Loading

http://forums.techguy.org/windows-nt-2000-xp/806318-no-icons-no-taskbar-no.html

I'm having the same problem as that guy. Except System Restore is not working for me (I've tried it three times)

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/incomplete-windows-restart-taskbar-and-desktop-icons-not-loading.808589/
Relevancy 55.04%

Hi,

The image below shows my current taskbar when I open a window that has a quick-launch icon (e.g. Opera) as you can see it combines the window and the quick-launch icon together however I would like it to create a separate taskbar item rather than doing this. Would this be possible? Are there any programs that fix this? Sorry if this seems like a vague question but it's quite hard to explain when I can't actually show what I want it to look like.

Thanks .

A:Separate quick-launch icons on the taskbar with active windows.

Sounds like you need to right-click the Taskbar, click Properties then on the Taskbar tab make a change in the Taskbar buttons: section.

http://www.sevenforums.com/customization/349776-separate-quick-launch-icons-taskbar-active-windows.html
Relevancy 55.04%

(Note: I don't know whether this problem involves malware or not, so I made the exact same thread in the Hijack This Forum also)

My computer uses Windows XP with McAfee Security Center.

When I turned my computer on yesterday the loading process stopped before it would run after it got to my background. Thus, the CPU stops as if everything is done loading and the startup process has finished, but my taskbar and desktop icons don't appear. Windows Task Manager is the only thing that I can get to appear.

Through Windows Task Manager I can perform tasks with CTRL-ALT-DEL, so I am able to access the internet and Hijack This. System Restore hasn't worked to fix the problem either, as I've done it 3 times and it hasn't helped. I think I have the same problem as this guy:

http://forums.techguy.org/windows-nt-2000-xp/806318-no-icons-no-taskbar-no.html

Any help would be appreciated.

Relevancy 55.04%

Hello there,

Yes; i am using ClassicShell, BUT i use the default Windows 8.1 Start button (cause i like the way it looks).

Thing is, when i change my taskbar icons to small, the size of the Start button is also scaled down. This looks out of place / ugly on the taskbar imo.

Does anyone here know if it is possible to use the original size and original Start button when small taskbar icons are used?

This is how it looks now:

A:Large Windows Start button when small taskbar icons used?

Hi there. Don't know how to reduce the size, but here's a little program that one of the members named hb860 created to eliminate it from the taskbar. I've used it for quite some time and works great. Hope this helps you.

http://www.eightforums.com/free-deve...artisgone.html

http://www.eightforums.com/customization/44807-large-windows-start-button-when-small-taskbar-icons-used.html
Relevancy 54.61%

I created a few shortcuts from chrome and added them to my Taskbar for ease of use.

I created one for each of my multiple Gmail accounts etc and I changed their icons to something so I can identify which was which. The shortcut's took the icon and worked fine for a short period than I noticed every time I click on the icon after changing the default icon to my new one It would change the icon back to Gmails default one.

Is there a way to prevent this from happening? Hope I explained it properly.

Dorf

A:TaskBar Icons Constantly Changing My Icons For Chrome any Help?

I noticed the same problem. I think the solution is to make the shortcut read only before you pin it to the task bar. I did this a few days ago and they seem to be keeping my new icon.
If you later want to unpin the shortcut from the taskbar you will need to remove the readonly check from the taskbar shortcut properties. Although it will unpin without doing this you will be left with the shortcut in the real folder and have to go there to physically delete it.

C:\Users\(user name)\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Quick Launch\User Pinned\TaskBar

http://www.sevenforums.com/general-discussion/115669-taskbar-icons-constantly-changing-my-icons-chrome-any-help.html
Relevancy 54.61%

Taskbar > Show Hidden Icons > Customize > there are some items there by description only (no actual icon next to it) that are from programs that were uninstalled. The drop down for show/hide etc is there for these items. After choosing Hide/No notifications and restarting, these items for uninstalled softwares are still there.

How do I permanently remove items in the Notification Area-customize box for these uninstalled softwares?

A:Taskbar>Show Hidden Icons>Customize- old icons still there

Hello Shokan,

You can reset the notification area icons to remove old uninstalled one.

Notification Area Icons - Reset

http://www.sevenforums.com/general-discussion/327129-taskbar-show-hidden-icons-customize-old-icons-still-there.html
Relevancy 54.61%

Hi everyone,

I'm having another complete nightmare problem on my brand new Dell XPS running Win x64 Ultimate.

When I try to customise what behaviour the various icons exhibit on the taskbar (and I'm taken to CONTROL PANEL- ALL CONTROL PANEL ITEMS-NOTIFICATION AREA ICONS), some of the icons are correct and truly represent the proramme which they are aligned with, but some are incorrect and some are blank and some are duplicates of icons for other programmes that are shown elsewhere.

I've tried everything I can think of, but nothing works.

Can anyone help, please?

Many thanks,

A:incorrect icons showing when customising taskbar icons

Hello BLONDELAWMAN

Have a look here.This should solve your issue with misplaced icons - Notification Area Icons - Reset

Danny

http://www.sevenforums.com/general-discussion/183000-incorrect-icons-showing-when-customising-taskbar-icons.html
Relevancy 54.61%

My problem is specific to the unpinned icons in Windows 7 Home Edition 64-bit. The pinned applications stay put just fine. This problem started a couple of days ago.

It seems that, when I have multiple unpinned applications open, sometimes the icons of the unpinned applications move around at random times (it seems that the last active unpinned application moves to the right even though it wasn't the program opened last). And sometimes, when I have only one unpinned application on the taskbar, its icon seems to move from some slot to its right back in its position.

For some reason I suspect some malware or virus may be the cause.

I tried uninstalling ATI Radeon HD6450 drivers and reverting to an older version, as well as uninstalling every program that was installed since the day the problem started, to no avail. I found four malware in the meantime but even removing said malware did not solve my problem.

A:Unpinned taskbar icons moving around the taskbar

I don't think it's malware. If it's any consolation, my machine at work does this occasionally, and it's clean. I don't know what's causing it, but I've just chalked it up to being a quirk in Windows.

http://www.sevenforums.com/general-discussion/390192-unpinned-taskbar-icons-moving-around-taskbar.html
Relevancy 54.61%

The other day my Windows 7 desktop changed. I do not know why. All of my Start Menu icons are on the Taskbar and I cannot remove them. Any help appreciated. Cheryl

A:Win 7 taskbar all icons from start menu on taskbar

Please create and upload a screenshot.

http://www.sevenforums.com/general-discussion/194598-win-7-taskbar-all-icons-start-menu-taskbar.html
Relevancy 54.61%

This problem is affecting ALL USERS on a new computer I m setting up in a corporate environment I thought I d share my experience in detail in case anyone else is looking for some specific keywords bar icons, of Start Menu, left-click How fix Windows and in taskbar search 10 to I ve tried as many suggestions from a Microsoft Answers thread How to fix left-click of Start Menu, taskbar icons, and search bar in Windows 10 as well a post on BT called quot Has your Windows Start menu stopped working Here are four ways to fix it quot including suggestions in the comments there NOTHING HAS WORKED SO FAR We have received a shipment of Dell OptiPlex desktops with Windows Pro How to fix left-click of Start Menu, taskbar icons, and search bar in Windows 10 built in Express Settings setup DisplayPort monitor USB connections to keyboard mouse and speakers wired LAN no antivirus except Defender I set up the first machine and let the Windows Updates install I m not sure if that was the issue but once I rebooted I could not open the Start Menu Nor could I use Cortana or left-click on ANY icon in the taskbar Here are the steps that I ve tried that I can remember starting simple to more complex Reinstall Windows apps in Administrator PowerShell Get-AppXPackage -AllUsers Foreach Add-AppxPackage -DisableDevelopmentMode -Register quot InstallLocation AppXManifest xml quot Ran sfc scannow times rebooting after each You can see from log file snippets below that the scan detects the same errors every time but cannot fix them Restarted with msconfig quot Safe boot quot Safe Mode Ran built-in Dell Command Update and installed the latest video driver Latest BIOS is already installed Manually ran Windows Update to make sure all are installed Windows System Restore rolled back to earliest point initial install Reset this PC option in Troubleshooting mode doing a quot Remove everything quot rebuild Start Menu works on first login but then will not open after the first reboot Installed Windows Pro out of the box Worked fine until installing a huge build update - I did not write down the number and can t find an update history Here are a few system and application event logs that seem relevant followed by snippets from the sfc scannow log file Log Name nbsp nbsp nbsp nbsp nbsp SystemSource nbsp nbsp nbsp nbsp nbsp nbsp nbsp Microsoft-Windows-DistributedCOMDate nbsp nbsp nbsp nbsp nbsp nbsp nbsp nbsp nbsp AMEvent ID nbsp nbsp nbsp nbsp nbsp Task Category NoneLevel nbsp nbsp nbsp nbsp nbsp nbsp nbsp nbsp ErrorKeywords nbsp nbsp nbsp nbsp nbsp ClassicUser nbsp nbsp nbsp nbsp nbsp nbsp nbsp nbsp nbsp GJ D adminComputer nbsp nbsp nbsp nbsp nbsp GJ D cao lanDescription The server CortanaUI AppXfbn w s jbk tjevpcn kaxerc rby k mca did not register with DCOM within the required timeout Event Xml lt Event xmlns quot schemas microsoft com event quot gt nbsp lt System gt nbsp nbsp nbsp lt Provider Name quot Microsoft-Windows-DistributedCOM quot Guid quot B E -B AA- -BADC-B F A E quot EventSourceName quot DCOM quot gt nbsp nbsp nbsp lt EventID Qualifiers quot quot gt lt EventID gt nbsp nbsp nbsp lt Version gt lt Version gt nbsp nbsp nbsp lt Level gt lt Level gt nbsp nbsp nbsp lt Task gt lt Task gt nbsp nbsp nbsp lt Opcode gt lt Opcode gt nbsp nbsp nbsp lt Keywords gt x lt Keywords gt nbsp nbsp nbsp lt TimeCreated SystemTime quot - - T Z quot gt nbsp nbsp nbsp lt EventRecordID gt lt EventRecordID gt nbsp nbsp nbsp lt Correlation gt nbsp nbsp nbsp lt Execution ProcessID quot quot ThreadID quot quot gt nbsp nbsp nbsp lt Channel gt System lt Channel gt nbsp nbsp nbsp lt Computer gt GJ D cao lan lt Computer gt nbsp nbsp nbsp lt Security UserID quot S- - - - - - - quot gt nbsp lt System gt nbsp lt EventData gt nbsp nbsp nbsp lt Data Name quot param quot gt CortanaUI AppXfbn w s jbk tjevpcn kaxerc rby k mca lt Data gt nbsp lt EventData gt lt Event gt Log Name nbsp nbsp nbsp nbsp nbsp SystemSource nbsp nbsp nbsp nbsp nbsp nbsp nbsp Microsoft-Windows-DistributedCOMDate nbsp nbsp... Read more

http://en.community.dell.com/support-forums/software-os/f/4997/t/19981853
Relevancy 54.61%

Windows Hanging at Startup only Wallpaper shown - no icons nor taskbar Would appreciate a check of my Hijackthis log file Logfile of Trend Micro HijackThis v Scan saved at PM on -May- Icons and Startup 7 Windows During Wallpaper Loading Shows only Before Hangs Taskbar, Platform Windows SP WinNT MSIE Internet Explorer v Boot mode Normal Running processes C Windows system taskhost exe C Windows system Dwm exe C Windows Explorer EXE C Program Files Lenovo HOTKEY TPOSDSVC exe C Program Files Integrated Camera Driver RCIMGDIR exe C Program Files Lenovo HOTKEY TPONSCR Windows 7 Hangs During Startup Before Loading Icons and Taskbar, Shows only Wallpaper exe C Program Files Lenovo Zoom TpScrex exe C Windows Windows 7 Hangs During Startup Before Loading Icons and Taskbar, Shows only Wallpaper System rundll exe C Windows System igfxpers exe C Program Files CyberLink InstantBurn Win K IBurn exe C Windows System igfxtray exe C Windows System hkcmd exe C Program Files ESET ESET NOD Antivirus egui exe C Program Files CyberLink Power Go CLMLSvc exe C Program Files Sony PMB PMBVolumeWatcher exe C Windows 7 Hangs During Startup Before Loading Icons and Taskbar, Shows only Wallpaper Program Files Common Files Java Java Update jusched exe C Program Files Lenovo Access Connections ACTray exe C Program Files HP HP Software Update hpwuschd exe C Program Files MyTomTom MyTomTomSA exe C Program Files Skype Phone Skype exe C Users Philip AppData Local Google Update GoogleCrashHandler exe C Program Files Connectify Connectify exe C Program Files ThinkPad Bluetooth Software BTTray exe C Program Files Digital Line Detect DLG exe C Program Files HP Digital Imaging bin hpqtra exe C Apache bin ApacheMonitor exe C Program Files ThinkPad Bluetooth Software BtStackServer exe C Windows system igfxext exe C Windows system igfxsrvc exe C Program Files HP Digital Imaging bin hpqSTE exe C Program Files HP Digital Imaging bin hpqbam exe C Program Files HP Digital Imaging bin hpqgpc exe C Program Files Microsoft Office Office OUTLOOK EXE C Program Files Internet Explorer iexplore exe C Program Files Internet Explorer iexplore exe C Windows system Macromed Flash FlashUtil ActiveX exe C Program Files Internet Explorer iexplore exe C Program Files Internet Explorer iexplore exe C Windows system SearchProtocolHost exe C Trend Micro HiJackThis HiJackThis exe R - HKCU Software Microsoft Internet Explorer Main Default Page URL http lenovo msn com R - HKCU Software Microsoft Internet Explorer Main Search Page http go microsoft com fwlink LinkId R - HKCU Software Microsoft Internet Explorer Main Start Page http news google com R - HKLM Software Microsoft Internet Explorer Main Default Page URL http go microsoft com fwlink LinkId R - HKLM Software Microsoft Internet Explorer Main Default Search URL http go microsoft com fwlink LinkId R - HKLM Software Microsoft Internet Explorer Main Search Page http go microsoft com fwlink LinkId R - HKLM Software Microsoft Internet Explorer Main Start Page http go microsoft com fwlink LinkId R - HKLM Software Microsoft Internet Explorer Search SearchAssistant R - HKLM Software Microsoft Internet Explorer Search CustomizeSearch R - HKCU Software Microsoft Internet Explorer Toolbar LinksFolderName R - URLSearchHook Vuze Remote Toolbar - ba e- - -b f - e d cc - C Program Files Vuze Remote prxtbVuze dll R - URLSearchHook Yahoo Toolbar - EF BD -C FB- D - F- D F - C Program Files Yahoo Companion Installs cpn yt dll O - BHO amp Yahoo Toolbar Helper - D -C F - efb- B - ECA - C Program Files Yahoo Companion Installs cpn yt dll O - BHO HP Print Enhancer - C E- - -BF - C - C Program Files HP Digital Imaging Smart Web Printing hpswp printenhancer dll O - BHO AcroIEHelperStub - DF C-E AD- -A -FA C EBDC - C Program Files Common Files Adobe Acrobat ActiveX AcroIEHelperShim dll O - BHO Conduit Engine - F B -B - - B- FBA BD D - C Program Files ConduitEngine prxConduitEngine dll O - BHO Search Helper - EBF - F- bff-A F-B E AAC B - C Program Files Microsoft Se... Read more

A:Windows 7 Hangs During Startup Before Loading Icons and Taskbar, Shows only Wallpaper

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/windows-7-hangs-during-startup-before-loading-icons-and-taskbar-shows-only-wallpaper.1054029/
Relevancy 54.61%

Hello again My Google Chrome is pinned to my taskbar and when I click the icon it has always opened a window within that icon all of a sudden it started creating a separate one I found a Windows Separate Icon 7 Pinned Than Other Creates Chrome Taskbar Icons thread about this issue on this forum and it seemed to be solved with the solution below This solution does not work for me as there isn't two Google Chrome ink when I get to UserPinned Taskbar Also when I right click on the new icon and select 'Pin this program Windows 7 Taskbar Creates Separate Chrome Icons Other Than Pinned Icon to taskbar' It no longer has the right click option of 'New INCOGNITO Window' I found another solution online saying to delete the UserData from Chrome but my Chrome isn't synced up with my gmail account because it has caused problems in the past so I have no way of retrieving my bookmarks extensions etc Any help would be greatly appreciated thank you Quote I've just found an easy fix from Superuser com Please check the steps here Google Chrome pinned to Windows taskbar not opening under pinned icon - Super User Start Google Chrome this creates a quot new quot Chrome taskbar icon Right click on the quot new quot icon and select quot Pin this program to taskbar quot Go to C Users YourUserName AppData Roaming Microsoft Internet Explorer Quick Launch User Pinned TaskBar You will see the two pinned quot Google Chrome lnk quot here Delete the quot Google Chrome lnk quot Make quot Google Chrome lnk quot readonly Right Click - gt Properties - gt General tab - gt tick Read-only - gt Click OK

A:Windows 7 Taskbar Creates Separate Chrome Icons Other Than Pinned Icon

Welcome to Seven Forums juiceimus. The fact you don't have it synced makes it difficult, as that is a fix. I have 2 ideas for you:

Right click the Chrome shortcut> Properties> Compatibility Tab> Change compatibility to Vista

See if that works (you could try other compatibility choices as well. This would be a workaround as the fix is something you can't do

Also, you might try unpinning the icon, Open Chrome from the start menu by right clicking the Chrome icon and choosing Run as administrator. Now pin that instance of Chrome to the taskbar, and see of that helps.

A Guy

http://www.sevenforums.com/browsers-mail/322745-windows-7-taskbar-creates-separate-chrome-icons-other-than-pinned-icon.html
Relevancy 54.61%

Quote:

Symptoms
When you click icons on the taskbar (including Start, Cortana, Network, Battery, and Action Center) in Build 10130 of Windows 10 Insider Preview, the expected flyout might not open.

Resolution
An update is available to resolve this problem.
How to obtain this update
Windows Update
This update is available from Windows Update.

Prerequisites
To apply this update, you must be running Windows 10 Insider Preview Build 10130.

Restart information
You must restart the computer after you apply this update.

Update replacement information
This update does not replace any previously released update.

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/...?wa=wsignin1.0

(New KB3070365 Update available for Windows 10 - June 8th 2015)

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f338/flyouts-might-not-open-when-clicking-icons-on-the-taskbar-in-build-10130-of-windows-1-a-1004386.html
Relevancy 54.61%

I have upgraded to windows from and been using it for the last week now with no problems Today during a mandatory update my pc went blue screen and said it had to restart Once it restarted it updated and booted fine However after the update I realized that my start menu stopped working If I press it nothing shows up It is the same with my search menu Also none of my taskbar icons will work like the volume and notifications I have searched the internet and tried all the solutions provided like windows powershell and uninstalling antivirus and restarting explorer but nothing seems Windows icons 10 Menu, taskbar working not apps, Start and metro to work for me I can't reformat and clean install at the moment because it's really inconvenient for me and have some important files and big programs that I can't back up Can anyone please provide me a solution for Windows 10 Start Menu, metro apps, and taskbar icons not working this bug Is there anyway I can reinstall the last update again manually Or if I revert Windows 10 Start Menu, metro apps, and taskbar icons not working back to win would this problem still persist I can't afford to lose anything since I am away and need my computer for work

A:Windows 10 Start Menu, metro apps, and taskbar icons not working

Right click the start button and click on Programs and Features. (It's at the top.)
In the window that opens click on 'View installed updates'
Click on the updates you want to uninstall and Bob's your auntie's live-in lover!

http://www.tenforums.com/general-discussion/15219-windows-10-start-menu-metro-apps-taskbar-icons-not-working.html
Relevancy 54.61%

Hello I ve been recently having a problem with duplicated items in taskbar and broken Jump Lists I m now using with in Jump 10 Windows broken taskbar, duplicated problem icons Lists Windows but this problem occurred in Windows too but then it somehow fixed itself Windows 10 problem with duplicated icons in taskbar, broken Jump Lists Some programs that I pin to taskbar have a tendency to duplicate themselves when clicked on For now I ve noticed this behaviour only in Skype and Spotify but it s still very annoying since duplicate icons take valuable taskbar space and even more make Jump Lists of those programs broken meaning Windows 10 problem with duplicated icons in taskbar, broken Jump Lists that you can still see tasks program developers provided but after you click them nothing happens I ve tried loads of times pinning repinning deleting whole User Pinned folder from appdata Microsoft Internet Explorer Quick Launch clearing Jump List folders manually and automatically with Command Prompt commands as suggested here with no luck The only thing I did achieve was when I pinned Skype to taskbar in my other user account then copied the newly created shortcut from Use Pinned folder to my User Pinned folder this made Skype Jump Lists working but duplicate icon in taskbar remained I ve recently found a tutorial which may force taskbar to use only one icon per app but I can t check this right now as Taskbar Tweaker isn t yet officially available for Windows users Thank you for taking your time and reading my message any suggestions would be appreciated MDJ P S I don t know if this is related but I can t pin any Control Panel item to Quick Access whilst I can pin folders Interesting side of this is that pinned Control Panel items appear in File Explorer's Jump List but after clicked I get a message that item is unavailable and that it might have been moved renamed or removed

A:Windows 10 problem with duplicated icons in taskbar, broken Jump Lists

I recreated the thread in Windows Ten Forums since I‘ve recently saw that you have different forums for different operating systems.

http://www.sevenforums.com/general-discussion/377764-windows-10-problem-duplicated-icons-taskbar-broken-jump-lists.html
Relevancy 54.61%

So I upgraded to Windows 10 and reverted back to Windows 7. And now my pinned / recent documents aren't showing on the taskbar icons.

For example, I have Excel on the taskbar icons. Before the upgrade, I was able to view recently opened documents and even pinned them to the icons which I can view by simple right clicking the icons on the taskbar.

How do I get this back?

Example: PS doesn't show my pinned or recent items. Excel does.... Word doesn't.

http://www.sevenforums.com/general-discussion/383315-windows-7-taskbar-icons-no-longer-showing-pinned-recent-documents.html
Relevancy 53.75%

My laptop screen hang and i got a message saying "the windows is not responding" and there were two options given,1:close the program 2:wait for the program to respond.So,i clicked close the program.But then the screen is still not responding,so i manually shut down my laptop.
when i logged on to my laptop,my desktop is totally black,no icons,i can see the taskbar and start menu,i can browse firefox,but when click to open my document folder or my computer folder,there is just no response,anything in the start menu is unable to be opened. I had tried the method which is to exit the explorer then create a new explorer,but the problem is remained...
can someone help me with this?
thanks a lot.

A:Desktop totally black, icons gone, taskbar visible, can't browse computer in Windows

If you can use sytem restore from one week before the problem
If you cannot access SystemRestore, try in safe mode
System Restore - How to

http://www.vistax64.com/crashes-debugging/282642-desktop-totally-black-icons-gone-taskbar-visible-cant-browse-computer-windows.html
Relevancy 53.75%

So, pretty self explanatory, I have this super bizarre problem, whenever I have my taskbar set to small icons in the properties, the taskbar icons are all wrong, for example, the Windows Task Manager will show up as Google Chrome (application seem to take a fancy for that icon) or Adobe Lightroom will show up as the Windows Picture Viewer. I have searched everywhere, and all I can find are cases of missing icons, which is not my problem. Perhaps this is linked to the other problem I am having. (Half of monitor is out of sync.)

A:Bizarre: Windows taskbar shows improper icons in small icon mode

Don't know if I can help but will also try take a look at your problem.

First, just to be clear, note the 3 groups of icons along the bottom of screen image below. On left are Quick Launch icons, middle are open programs, on right are notification icons. Which group(s) are wrong when small? Also, can you right click a wrong icon and select Pin to Start Menu. Does it get pinned with the right or wrong icon?

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/bizarre-windows-taskbar-shows-improper-icons-in-small-icon-mode.181107/
Relevancy 53.75%

What is the advantages of having icons in your Taskbar rather then on your Desktop...

Relevancy 52.89%

About months ago my computer started starting up and only showing my background It didn t the taskbar or any of my desktop icons This only happened every once and a while so I just ignored it for the most part I could get the taskbar and icons back sometimes by starting up a program using the task manager logging off and logging back on using the task manager or just shutting down my computer by holding in the power button for a few seconds The power button was the only way that worked all the time to get my desktop back to normal Also the task manager wouldn t work at shutting down the computer by command so holding in the power button was the only way to restart it when it does this Starting about a week ago I disappear USB icons cannot device, and occasionally Cannot to and windows access when... update, connect desktop removable taskbar cannot access my mp player all of a sudden My mp player does connect it shows the USB icon on task bar and mp player screen lights up to show it s connected Whenever I go into my computer the drive that the mp player is suppose to be doesn t show up and when I type in the address it gives a pop-up saying the drive is inaccessible I ve had my mp player for - years and have connected it regularly in the past and have never had this type of problem Also I have managed to connect Cannot access removable USB device, cannot connect to windows update, and taskbar and desktop icons occasionally disappear when... it to my mother s computer without any problems just today so it proves it isn t my mp player that s causing the problem days ago I got some sort of error while trying to load a website I don t recall the exact message and haven t gotten another one since but it mentioned something about Win The website worked after refreshing the page and I haven t gotten that problem since Another problem I m having which I just noticed today is that I am having trouble connecting to windows update It isn t displaying the webpage It only tries to load the site for like seconds I did notice something about DNS error I believe it said but it came up and disappeared rather quickly and didn t come up in a pop-up The error only showed down in the bottom bar thing while it was trying to load the page Windows update is the only page that s not able to be displayed and there is no problem with my internet connection Also I checked on my mother s computer and her windows update is working fine so it isn t a website problem As far as I ve seen those are the only problems as of now Now to explain what I have tried to do to fix it on my own I have run check disk I have run a virus scan AVG free antivirus and immediately afterwards I ran a malware scan malwarebytes anti-malware and removed all malware and viruses detected I also attempted to restore my computer to days ago February st and it didn t fix any of the problems I could really use help on this Also I m not very computer savvy so I m going to need as simple instructions as possible on how to resolve this problem

A:Cannot access removable USB device, cannot connect to windows update, and taskbar and desktop icons occasionally disappear when...

ok i managed to get a look at the full error message thing with my windows update. It gave me this loading info.

res://ieframe.dll/dnserror.htm...

that's all it gave though. And also i'm not sure if this is related but everytime i start up my internet it opens up a second window for some google work-at-home like thing. I usually close it out immediately. I don't have anything as far as i know telling my internet to do that.

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/377662/cannot-access-removable-usb-device-cannot-connect-to-windows-update-and-taskbar-and-desktop-icons-occasionally-disappear-when-first-started-up/
Relevancy 51.17%

Hey Basically I am in the following situation I am a web developer - therefore I like taskbar lists, icons custom "modes"? with different or Taskbar to have applications such as Opera Firefox IETester FileZilla Visual Web Developer DreamWeaver and several other programs open at the same time I am currently revising for an exam - therefore I may need to have Opera Firefox Word Excel and several other programs open at the same time I sometimes like to watch films listen to music play games etc etc to chill Taskbar icons with custom lists, or different taskbar "modes"? out a bit - perhaps in a break from my revision In each of the Taskbar icons with custom lists, or different taskbar "modes"? three above situations I like to pin the icons to the taskbar Problem is that to have them all pinned to the taskbar would make it overflow - even with DisplayFusion installed with a taskbar on both screens Is there any way to group icons into one icon on the taskbar - so hovering over an icon called say Developer will bring up a list of Developer icons without having to open a window and open the programs from there Alternatively is there a way to change quot modes quot so that on clicking Developer from a list it will repopulate the taskbar with any programs I have previously added to the taskbar when in that mode I do not want to create a user account for each mode - thats just long If anyone knows of a way to do this or a program which may be able to achieve this then please let me know Thanks in advance for any help Regards Richard PS I am working on or planning to work on several websites soon so it may be useful to have sub-icons - so the list for Developer has another list for each company I work for I would like to achieve this if at all possible PPS If any of this is confusing at all then please say so and I will try to expand on it

A:Taskbar icons with custom lists, or different taskbar "modes"?

Hey,

I have found the answer, and given it a try. Its JumpList Launcher - Jumplist-Launcher ? Ali’s Dünnpfiff.

Hope this helps out someone else facing the same issues.

Regards,

Richard

http://www.sevenforums.com/customization/104867-taskbar-icons-custom-lists-different-taskbar-modes.html
Relevancy 50.31%

I solved this problem by system restoring but the question I have is what caused the problem Could it be data corruption malware or something else It tray and with icons taskbar windows missing "Had" lag explorer problem seems to definitely be software related since I fixed the problem by system restoring I did not remember any major differences software related between the days this problem has not occurred and started occurring with the exception of "Had" problem with taskbar tray icons missing and windows explorer lag a Windows Update for quot Windows Defender quot it is possible for a definition update to cause these symptoms Two problems I quot had quot before system restore Taskbar icons not appearing quot most quot aren t showing up the processes are running Really bad Windows Explorer lag second lag when opening folders in "Had" problem with taskbar tray icons missing and windows explorer lag start menu alt tabbing from full screen etc About four days ago I started Vista and noticed some of my taskbar icons missing despite the fact that they re all loaded when I checked the task manager I followed this guide which said to go to quot HKEY CURRENT USER Software Classes Local Settings Software Microsoft Windows CurrentVersion TrayNotify quot and then delete the values quot IconStreams quot and quot "Had" problem with taskbar tray icons missing and windows explorer lag PastIconsStream quot I did that and restarted explorer exe it worked and brought back my taskbar icons However it s not permanent the problem comes back after I restart my computer and Windows Defender never reappears in the taskbar even after I followed those steps On the same day of the problem I notice windows explorer in general has been really unresponsive and slower than usual For example - when I go to quot Start Menu quot then open any folder windows explorer lags for seconds anything explorer related lags and is frozen before the folder actually opens Another example - When I alt tab from a full screen video game doesn t matter which game it also lags seconds before explorer responds and updates Before this problem occurred windows explorer rarely lagged or slowed down for more than seconds but now seconds I fixed the problem by system restoring but does anyone know why these symptoms showed up in the first place I want to avoid it from happening again but if it does happen again how can I solve this issue without system restoring Also I did a virus scan with Avast custom settings I set all the scan settings to highest but found nothing during the period of problems Any help and info will be really appreciated thanks nbsp

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/had-problem-with-taskbar-tray-icons-missing-and-windows-explorer-lag.973713/
Relevancy 50.31%

This is a strange issue that's been bothering the living hell out of me. NO one seem to know how to get this resolved.

I installed Tune Up Utilities and just uninstalled it again actually, and done a bit tweaking to the system. Now for example if I have 5 tabs opened in IE (which you can see the little tabs in it's taskbar icon), but when I hover the icon, the live thumbnails don't automatically pop up. I have to click the icon at the bottom and THEN the live thumbnails come up above it.

Please do not tell me this is how it's supposed to work because it's NOT. A fresh installation or new profile does not work this way, instead, any icon in the taskbar with applications opened, shows the live thumbnails upon HOVERING the icon.

A:Can't "Hover" Taskbar Icons with multiple windows, have to click!

Hello Altjx,

If you mean whan you hover over the taskbar icon itself to see it's thumbnail preview, then using the tutorial below to set the delay time back to the default may help.Taskbar Thumbnail Previews - Change Delay Time
If you mean when you hover over the thumbnail preview of the icon to see the live preview of the selected opened window, then using the tutorial below to set the delay time back to the default may help.Taskbar Thumbnail Live Preview - Change Delay Time
Hope this helps,
Shawn

http://www.sevenforums.com/general-discussion/183773-cant-hover-taskbar-icons-multiple-windows-have-click.html
Relevancy 49.88%

Hi, I have a kiosk PC that is looking pretty good however I have two outstanding issues. 

The users can still right click on applications on the taskbar and receive a context menu even though I've disabled the context menu in the group policy editor.
User Configuration/Administrative Templates/Start Menu and Taskbar/Remove access to the context menus for the taskbar - Enabled

And I can't figure out how to remove the "show desktop" icon in the systems notification tray.

Thanks in advance for any help
Megan Armstrong.

A:Windows 7 Restricted User - Remove Right click on taskbar icons; Remove show desktop icon

Hello Megan,

Hope you're doing fine.

Disabling context menu from application on the taskbar
Please note the task bar context menu for any application for windows 7 is sub-divided into two sections :

a. Jumplist(to access recently opened files) 
   b. Creating a new instance of the application, Pin/Unpin, Close window

We can only disable the Jump List of the Taskbar context menu but not the "new instance creation, Pin/Unpin, close window"

Please follow the steps below to disable jump list:
1. Right-click on the Taskbar and then select Properties.
2. Click on the Start Menu tab and uncheck "Store and display recently opened items in the Start menu and the taskbar".
3. Click OK.

Disabling Show Desktop from the system tray
Regarding the requirement of disabling the "Show Desktop" button alltogether from the System tray, this is by design.

There are no ways to remove it. All we can do is to disable aero peek at Taskbar properties by right clicking and uncheck the option "Use Aero Peek to preview the desktop".
There's a third party software which addresses this sopecific purpose but I'm not pretty sure if this works perfectly for Windows 7 SP1 as well. Please refer to the link below.

Ref :
http://kishan-bagaria.deviantart.com/art/7-Show-Desktop-Button-Remover-163376704

Thanks,
Nabarun

Regards,
Nabarun Chakraborty | Support Engineer | Microsoft India GTSC

https://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/cbbdceb4-3c0a-4a86-a8be-dcc0b3cbc115/windows-7-restricted-user-remove-right-click-on-taskbar-icons-remove-show-desktop-icon?forum=w7itproui
Relevancy 49.45%

My laptop battery ran out and it must have shut itself down When I restarted the following symptoms appeared Taskbar icons left of the clock disappeared the taskbar changed from the standard task bar green start button blue bar to a plain gray bar with a gray start button if windows changed, missing icons has Taskbar and missing I right click on start gt properties gt taskbar tab gt customize - the icons do not match up with the descriptions for example the yahoo messenger icon has the description quot wireless network connection quot My Computer If I click Start then right click mycomputer gt properties I would expect to see a window Taskbar has changed, icons missing and windows missing with tabs quot general comp name hardware etc quot instead nothing appears My network places gt then View my network connections I would expect to see the network connections I have defined its blank I can t use my wireless connection because I can t see it to connect to Other than that all programs seem to be working fine I get to the internet using a hard LAN connection I don t even know where to start I have read many of the posts regarding taskbar problems but none seem to fit Any help greatly appreciated System Information I just tried to open the system information icon in the control panel to get the info to put here but nothing happens when I double click it I am running XP SP I am current on updates AVG Free tried uninstalling just in case

A:Taskbar has changed, icons missing and windows missing

I would try to do a system restore. Steps to perform that are found HERE

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/391036/taskbar-has-changed-icons-missing-and-windows-missing/
Relevancy 48.16%

A few weeks ago I managed to change the shape of icons to show larger rectangles when the program was running. This is excellent and very helpful when shutting down windows as it shows which programs are still running. I wish to set it up for a friend but cannot remember how I achieved this.
Can anyone help please?

A:Taskbar icons

if you right click on the task bar and click "properties", there is an option for Use Small Icons. if this is checked, uncheck it and hit apply. that increases the size of the taskbar icon...

is that you are referring to?

http://www.sevenforums.com/general-discussion/154292-taskbar-icons.html
Relevancy 48.16%

My computer started acting up today so I decided to reboot. However, when I logged into my XP account, nothing would load. When I opened Task Manager quickly, I noticed that the programs were trying to start, but something is automatically shutting them ALL down.

Help would be greatly appreciated. I have already managed to start HiJackThis and started a log. It is attached to this post. Thanks in advance for anybody that helps!

A:No icons. No taskbar.

Hello phool

Please follow our 5 Step process outlined here:

http://www.techsupportforum.com/secu...oval-help.html

After running through all the steps, please post the requested logs in the HijackThis Log Help forum.
http://www.techsupportforum.com/secu...this-log-help/

If you have trouble with one of the steps, simply move on to the next one, and make note of it in your reply.

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f10/no-icons-no-taskbar-267889.html
Relevancy 48.16%

Those small Icons in the right hand side on the taskbar are not going away. When I click customize, I select "hide notification and icon" and they still show up under then little up arrow. Is that windows version of hiding? Putting them in the arrow. Can I get rid of those?

A:Taskbar Icons

Go to search, type notification, and untick what you do not want..and/or
Notification Area Icons - Reset

http://www.sevenforums.com/general-discussion/105262-taskbar-icons.html
Relevancy 48.16%

I applied the two MS patches today like a good boy. After rebooting, I do not show the small quick launch icons in the lower left of the task-bar for OE,IE, win-media. This is not a big deal but I have looked at start/settings/task-bar and cannot find a place to reinstate the missing icons.
Thanks much.

Relevancy 48.16%

I can't pin open programs to the taskbar. The only option I get by right clicking the icon is to close program. I'm running x64 7000

A:taskbar icons

I can, just drag and drop the programs icon to the taskbar, when you close the program, the icon should be there on your taskbar.

http://www.sevenforums.com/general-discussion/2548-taskbar-icons.html
Relevancy 48.16%

I do virus malware repair on customers system and up until this one system have been pretty successful Windows XP Home SP Compaq Presario Was on SPO ran repair to update - see below System no XP or taskbar icons will boot fine Desktop background shows up after log-on only one user on system But no icons and no taskbar I have tried the following Install run Malware Bytes Antimalware full scan until clean infections ran repair to update O S from SP to SP from OEM CD - no errors during process although XP no icons or taskbar I do need to activate removed hardd drive attached hard drive to known clean system Ran MalwareBytes again finds a couple removed Scanned with SuperAntiSpyware usual adware found trojan - removed Scanned with AVG found couple things removed All scans were latest updates from vendors prior to scans return hard drive to original system run couple of Register fixes from Kellys-Corner expanded new copies of explorer exe and userinit exe from OEM CD Internet Explorer will not run Control Panel will not run explorer will briefly flash taskbar I would bail at this point and tell customer you need a fresh install but she whined explaining that is software on this system she no longer has disks CDs for blah blah blah Here are files you request I am sending this via Windows and have no way to compress the files I have attached the ark log Attach txt UNLESS SPECIFICALLY INSTRUCTED DO NOT POST THIS LOG IF REQUESTED ZIP IT UP amp ATTACH IT DDS Ver - - Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition XP no icons or taskbar Boot Device Device HarddiskVolume Install Date PM System Uptime PM hours ago Motherboard KM - Processor AMD Athlon XP Socket A mhz Disk Partitions A is Removable C is FIXED NTFS - GiB total GiB free D is CDROM E is CDROM CDFS F is Removable Disabled Device Manager Items System Restore Points No restore point in system Installed Programs Help Tour Trb D Frog Frenzy D Pinball Express Ad-Aware SE Personal Adaptec Easy CD Creator Adobe Acrobat Adobe ActiveShare Adobe Atmosphere Player for Acrobat and Adobe Reader Adobe PhotoDeluxe Adobe PhotoDeluxe Home Edition Adobe Photoshop Album Starter Edition Adobe Reader AiO Scan AIOMinimal AiOSoftware America Online Choose which version to remove AnalogX CookieWall AOL Coach Version Build en AOL Connectivity Services AOL Spyware Protection AOL Toolbar AOL You ve Got Pictures Screensaver AutoUpdate BitTorrent Board Games Card Games for Windows Coloreal Compaq Advisor Copy Corel Applications Corel Uninstaller CreativeProjects Desktop Doctor Director DivX DivX Player DivX Web Player DLA DocProc Dramatica Pro Easy CD amp DVD Creator ECHO EuroTalk Talk Now Plus Eyewitness Encyclopedia of Nature Fax FormFlow Filler Google Desktop Google Earth Google Pack Screensaver Google Toolbar for Firefox Google Toolbar for Internet Explorer Google Updater GraphicView Hauppauge English Help Files and Resources Hauppauge WinTV-PVR USB Drivers Hauppauge WinTV Infrared Remote Hauppauge WinTV Scheduler Hauppauge WinTV HP Image Zone HP PSC amp OfficeJet HP Software Update hpmdtab HPSystemDiagnostics Inactive HP Printer Drivers Remove only InstantShare Intel reg G Chipset Graphics Driver Software InterVideo FilterSDK for Hauppauge InterVideo WinDVD ipalm Camera Driver Java Runtime Environment Standard Edition v Java Runtime Environment SE v Jewel Quest Kazoo Player Learn Player Uninstall Only LiveReg Symantec Corporation LiveUpdate Symantec Corporation Macromedia Flash Player Malwarebytes Anti-Malware Memories Disc Creator Microsoft NET Framework Microsoft Camcorder Microsoft IntelliPoint Microsoft IntelliType Pro Microsoft Office Animated Cursors Microsoft Office Sounds Microsoft Office Professional Edition Microsoft Text-to-Speech Engine English Microsoft Word Microsoft Works Microsoft XML Parser and SDK Microsoft PowerPoint Animation Player Mozilla Firefox MSXML SP KB Music Visualizer Library Net MD Simple Burner Norton AntiVirus Norton CleanSweep Norton Speed Disk for Windows NT Norton SystemWorks Nort... Read more

A:XP no icons or taskbar

Hello and welcome to Bleeping ComputerWe apologize for the delay in responding to your request for help. Here at Bleeping Computer we get overwhelmed at times, and we are trying our best to keep up. Please note that your topic was not intentionally overlooked. Our mission is to help everyone in need, but sometimes it takes just a little longer to get to every request for help. No one is ignored here.Please take note:If you have since resolved the original problem you were having, we would appreciate you letting us know. If you are unable to create a log because your computer cannot start up successfully please provide detailed information about your installed Windows Operating System including the Version, Edition and if it is a 32bit or a 64bit system.
If you are unsure about any of these characteristics just post what you can and we will guide you.Please tell us if you have your original Windows CD/DVD available.If you are unable to perform the steps we have recommended please try one more time and if unsuccessful alert us of such and we will design an alternate means of obtaining the necessary information.If you have not done so, include a clear description of the problems you're having, along with any steps you may have performed so far.Upon completing the steps below another staff member will review your topic an do their best to resolve your issues.If you have already posted a DDS log, please do so again, as your situation may have changed.Use the 'Add Reply' and add the new log to this thread.We need to see some information about what is happening in your machine. Please perform the following scan again:Download DDS by sUBs from one of the following links if you no longer have it available. Save it to your desktop.DDS.scrDDS.pifDouble click on the DDS icon, allow it to run.A small box will open, with an explanation about the tool. No input is needed, the scan is running.Notepad will open with the results.Follow the instructions that pop up for posting the results.Close the program window, and delete the program from your desktop.Please note: You may have to disable any script protection running if the scan fails to run. After downloading the tool, disconnect from the internet and disable all antivirus protection. Run the scan, enable your A/V and reconnect to the internet. Information on A/V control HEREWe also need a new log from the GMER anti-rootkit Scanner. Please note that if you are running a 64-bit version of Windows you will not be able to run GMER and you may skip this step.Please first disable any CD emulation programs using the steps found in this topic:Why we request you disable CD Emulation when receiving Malware Removal AdviceThen create another GMER log and post it as an attachment to the reply where you post your new DDS log. Instructions on how to properly create a GMER log can be found here:How to create a GMER logThanks and again sorry for the delay.Casey

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/383113/xp-no-icons-or-taskbar/
Relevancy 48.16%

I know what the first,,6th & 7th ones are for, but the others? I have no clue. This is my W7 Thanks.

A:Taskbar icons

If you don't use them, you can always remove them from your taskbar.

Start Menu
My computer (Documents or similar)
Windows Media Player
An HP utility of some kind. (possibly an updater)
I don't recognize
Firefox
I don't recognize

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/taskbar-icons.188752/
Relevancy 48.16%

Hi I am helping my dad fix his computer because he has a billion and one things running and it is taking forever to do anything After working with you in the past I knew that I had to get spyware and adaware in here because I could Help, gone icons/taskbar all tell from the search bars that he had some spyware Anyway I downloaded the programs for him Help, all icons/taskbar gone and then I had to leave I came back today and he told me that he had installed them and ran spyware blaster he thinks and anyway all his icons and taskbar are gone I don t know what the heck happened to them as this has never happened to me He ran Norton a few days prior so I don t think he has a virus as he came back uninfected I don t have hijack this downloaded yet for you because I don t even know what folder all his downloads go into Anyway I was hoping we could resolve this w out it he is operating on win xp nbsp

Relevancy 48.16%

hi. i have installed a piece of software on my computer.

when i install it it adds an icon to tohe taskbar to let me know it is running. this is the only way of accessing the program.

is there any way of hiding this icon in the taskbar from view. i dont mean by using the windows hide function where you click on the arrow and you can see it again but by actually removing it from the taskbar for either selected users or for all users.
If you could hel me in this i would be very happy

thank you

Relevancy 48.16%

I rebooted my computer yesterday and now it won?t load any desktop icons or the taskbar, all I get is the wallpaper. I am able to get to files and the internet thru the Task Manager>browse option. AVG free (ver 7.5) removed Trojan horse Sheur2.LBH which I think I unknowingly infected my computer thru a jump drive.
I?ve run a virus scan again but it says ?no threats found?
I?m the only account on the computer as an administrator with password protected; guest account is disabled.
I?ve tried safe mode and system restore with the same result?.no icons or taskbar.

The computer is a Dell Inspiron 1100 laptop with Win XP Home with SP2 or 3; Windows Firewall; AVG free 7.5 (updated daily); Firefox browser

Curiously, the processes within task manger mainly show LOCAL SERVICE and SYSTEM. The only OWNER is task manager. For a total of 11 usually I?m running 21-22
thanks in advance

A:no icons or taskbar

Download Mbam using Safemode w/networking, if you must. You can also download to another computer and use a thumb drive or burn it to a CDIf you use Spybod S&D, turn off the Teatimer function----------------The process of cleaning your computer may require temporarily disabliling some security programs. If you are using SpyBot Search and Destroy, please refer to Note 2 at the bottom of this page.Please download Malwarebytes Anti-Malware and save it to your desktop.alternate download link 1alternate download link 2Make sure you are connected to the Internet.Double-click on mbam-setup.exe to install the application.When the installation begins, follow the prompts and do not make any changes to default settings.When installation has finished, make sure you leave both of these checked:Update Malwarebytes' Anti-MalwareLaunch Malwarebytes' Anti-MalwareThen click Finish.MBAM will automatically start and you will be asked to update the program before performing a scan.If an update is found, the program will automatically update itself.Press the OK button to close that box and continue.If you encounter any problems while downloading the updates, manually download them from here and just double-click on mbam-rules.exe to install.On the Scanner tab:Make sure the "Perform Quick Scan" option is selected.Then click on the Scan button.If asked to select the drives to scan, leave all the drives selected and click on the Start Scan button. The scan will begin and "Scan in progress" will show at the top. It may take some time to complete so please be patient.When the scan is finished, a message box will say "The scan completed successfully. Click 'Show Results' to display all objects found".Click OK to close the message box and continue with the removal process.Back at the main Scanner screen:Click on the Show Results button to see a list of any malware that was found.Make sure that everything is checked, and click Remove Selected.When removal is completed, a log report will open in Notepad.The log is automatically saved and can be viewed by clicking the Logs tab in MBAM.Copy and paste the contents of that report in your next reply and exit MBAM.Note:-- If MBAM encounters a file that is difficult to remove, you may be asked to reboot your computer so it can proceed with the disinfection process. Regardless if prompted to restart the computer or not, please do so immediately. Failure to reboot normally (not into safe mode) will prevent MBAM from removing all the malware. Note 2:-- MBAM may make changes to your registry as part of its disinfection routine. If you're using other security programs that detect registry changes (like Spybot's Teatimer), they may interfere with the fix or alert you after scanning with MBAM. Please disable such programs until disinfection is complete or permit them to allow the changes. To disable these programs, please view this topic: How To Temporarily Disable Your Anti-virus, Firewall And Anti-malware Programs---------------------------------If mbam won't installSome types of malware will disable MBAM and other security tools. If MBAM will not install, try renaming it. Right-click on the mbam-setup.exe file and change the .exe extension to .bat, .com, .pif, or .scr and then double-click on it to run.If after installation, MBAM will not run, open the Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware folder in Program Files, right-click on mbam.exe and change the .exe as noted above. Then double-click on it to run.

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/196854/no-icons-or-taskbar/
Relevancy 48.16%

Hi, I have a laptop running XP with SP2. Had a serious problem with viruses/malware. Loaded McAfee Virusscan onto the laptop, ran it, cleaned up all except 1 virus (sorry never wrote the name down). I was told to reboot system and McAfee would complete the clean up process. When I did the reboot, I get to my background screen, but nothing else happens. No Icons....No Windows TaskBar at the bottom of the screen. I can run programs using the CTL-ALT-DELETE Task Manager.

How do I get Windows back to normal & restore the icons?

Thanks

A:NO ICONS or TASKBAR!!

In the task manager, go to File>New Task(run)>type in explorer.exe, it should work since thats what the problem seems to be.

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f10/no-icons-or-taskbar-53327.html
Relevancy 48.16%

Hi gang, need a little help with this one.How do i remove an icon from the left side of the task bar, i want to remove it so it does not come back on the next boot.
Any help appreciated, much !

Thanks
Chuck

Hi flashh4, it depends on which application places that icon on the task bar.
Can you say which application is?

http://www.sevenforums.com/general-discussion/150857-taskbar-icons.html
Relevancy 48.16%

has anyone found a way to change the icons of apps that have been pinned to the start menu other than reshacking the exe?

Hello Garbanzo,

You could create a shortcut of the exe file, then change the icon of the shortcut and pin that shortcut to the Start Menu.

Hope this helps,
Shawn

http://www.sevenforums.com/general-discussion/1619-taskbar-icons.html
Relevancy 48.16%

HP Envy desktop came with Windows 10 Home already loaded. Set it up with my program shorcut icons in the taskbar. Everything working just fine for days, and then all of a sudden (well maybe not as I had just installed updates from MS) the taskbar no longer shows those icons and the Windows Start/Search/taskview icons on the left and the HP Support/Notification icons on the right show but all are inactive. Looked t some of the responses on this forum, but didn't try any of them (except starting explorer which made no difference) as they may not be pertinent to my problem. Help certainly appreciated.

A:Icons used to be on taskbar?

There can be a few possible solutions.
Let's start with a more "standard, traditional" solution............
Do a system restore. Pick a date when you did NOT have this problem as your restore point.
System Restore Windows 10

If that works, case close.
If not, we'll try next possible solution.

http://www.tenforums.com/general-discussion/35018-icons-used-taskbar.html
Relevancy 48.16%

HP Envy desktop came with Windows 10 Home already loaded. Set it up with my program shorcut icons in the taskbar. Everything working just fine for days, and then all of a sudden (well maybe not as I had just installed updates from MS) the taskbar no longer shows those icons and the Windows Start/Search/taskview icons on the left and the HP Support/Notification icons on the right show but all are inactive. Looked t some of the responses on this forum, but didn't try any of them (except starting explorer which made no difference) as they may not be pertinent to my problem. Help certainly appreciated.

A:Icons used to be on taskbar?

There can be a few possible solutions.
Let's start with a more "standard, traditional" solution............
Do a system restore. Pick a date when you did NOT have this problem as your restore point.
System Restore Windows 10

If that works, case close.
If not, we'll try next possible solution.

http://www.tenforums.com/performance-maintenance/35018-icons-used-taskbar.html
Relevancy 48.16%

Taskbar Icons takes time to open, like audio,battery,wifi,notifications Is there anything I could do to fix this?

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/taskbar-icons.1170338/