Windows Support Forum

Need Automatic Messages to pop up on public computers on a LAN

Q: Need Automatic Messages to pop up on public computers on a LAN

I was just wondering if anyone can help me with something?

Basically I'm trying to sort out having some automatic messages pop up on the computers in the public IT room where I work as we're having problems with usage and restrictions so we want to be able to tell the public easily what they can and can't do especially as they seem to have complete disregard for the signs that are up everywhere e.g. no eating/drinking etc....

The computers are all on a simple LAN (I think), but after a quick google I had a lot of confusing stuff all trying to promote intranet programs etc....

I'm fairly savvy, just want a push in the right direction.

Thanks guys!

Relevancy 100%
Preferred Solution: Need Automatic Messages to pop up on public computers on a LAN

I recommend downloading and running Reimage. It's a computer repair tool that has been proven to identify and fix many Windows problems with a high level of success.

I've used it in the past to identify and fix everything from blue screens (BSOD's), ActiveX errors, corrupt files and processes, dll/exe/sys errors, recover lost memory, Windows update problems, defragging, malware removal etc.

You can download it direct from this link http://downloadreimage.com/directdownload.php. (This link will automatically start a download of Reimage that you can save to your computer.)

A: Need Automatic Messages to pop up on public computers on a LAN

Can't give you the details (as i've never used it myself) but you might conider using the Windows Alerter Service.
> It was intended to set administrative alert pop-up messages to machine on a network
> You need to assure the Alerter Service is Enabled on each machine (by default it's Disabled)
> YOU MUST BE CAREFUL that your External firewall has the alerter service port closed!! (you'll have to look up the port number. i dont recall it) BECAUSE:
===> SPAMMERS on outside networks used to send messages to users on internal networks by spamming messages to the open port used by Alerter Service

But if that port remains DISABLED at the WAN interface level, i think it shouldn't be a problem

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/need-automatic-messages-to-pop-up-on-public-computers-on-a-lan.154014/
Relevancy 59.34%

I used to have messed up file sharing settings because the printer wouldnt work but they were alright because whoever looked into my Computer in the network would only find a Public folder. (w/o passwords)

Now, i reinstalled windows, and whenever somenoe looks into my computer under the network, they have to enter a password and once they do, they can access not only the public folder, but all my documents under my folder. (Users/MyStuff)

the sharing folder is Users so people can see everything inside Users if they have my password.

What i want to do is let them only access the Public folder WITHOUT my password.

That way, if i have something that needs to be transferred, i'll just drop it on in the public folder, and someone can take it.

I am confused in terms of how to reach these settings and i would appreciate it if anyone could offer a solution.
THank you.

A:How to let other computers see ONLY the public folder?

Disable Homegroup and have a good Public and Private key Encryption.

http://www.sevenforums.com/network-sharing/97815-how-let-other-computers-see-only-public-folder.html
Relevancy 59.34%

Hi.
I'm setting up 3 computers in a building for the public.
And I need some tips on how to secure them in a best possible way.
They are not to be in a domain network, but in a workgroup.
And I can't use SCCM to push updates and SCEP for antivirus.
I am locking them down using local group policy.
3rd party programs to lock them down is a non-option.

Anyone has done any similar projects?
Or can link to a website with information?

A:Computers for public usage

Maybe thi will help: www.sevenforums.com/showthread.php?t=371638

http://www.sevenforums.com/customization/372323-computers-public-usage.html
Relevancy 58.91%

Is there anyway to bypass Novell Border Managers on public computers? Cuz im suppose to be working on my term paper and it is keeping me from accessing a lot of sites. Thanks. We have winxp.

A:Bypassing Novell in Public Computers?

closing, against forum rules

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/bypassing-novell-in-public-computers.184935/
Relevancy 58.91%

I work for an apartment complex and admin 2 Windows 8.1 computers. What I'd like to do is really lock these independent computers down to where people can still use them, but with certain access rights. I'd like to make it to where the admin is the only one with access to all the control panels and a standard account has the control panel locked down. I also would like to make it to where people can't access the drives (like see the contents) and are only able to save to a specific directory. Oh, also one last thing... any and all ".exe" files can't be ran would also be good to block. Is any of this possible? I'm not too familiar with 8.1, so any help would be appreciated. I ask all this because these computers were hacked over the weekend and I know for a fact that the security was weak.Thanks.

A:Windows 8.1 Security for public computers...

Maybe contact your local library, high school, or college library.

They usually have tight security on their public use computers.

http://www.eightforums.com/system-security/46602-windows-8-1-security-public-computers.html
Relevancy 58.05%

Hi everyone,
When i access my yahoo mail account using a public computer at the library, can the library employees who are obviously monitoring me ( they restrict certain computers to job searches and if you deviate, they come over and inform you), can they also access my passwords?
Thank you

Relevancy 58.05%

Most of my clients get their internet connection from the same central hub server at corporate HQ They are located in various buildings across the state We have been having a strange issue where at seemingly random times they get booted off of our domain Let's just say its called aaa com Now or domain. of public 1,2,3,4, private Computers 5 have instead Network this usually occurs at times where they turn on the computer in the morning they lock the computer or even after a period of inactivity at random intervals that make no sense We think that it may have something to do with degrading lines but even new lines with switches causes the routing to go to a different computer This all started when we noticed that we were losing our default gateway on random computers which is X Always The x variable ranges from - based on whatever location you are at The weird thing is it's not a total loss of network connection In some cases they can still access email surf the web and we can even remotely connect to Computers have public Network 1,2,3,4, or 5 instead of private domain. them They don't even truly get booted off the network Their computer is still registered on aaa com The network connection is just changed public network though under computer and properties you still see computername aaa com My thinking is that there is a Computers have public Network 1,2,3,4, or 5 instead of private domain. yet unidentified rouge device lingering somewhere on the network but with a total of locations It will difficult to track down and sometimes there are different IPs that take the network over otherwise I wouldn't be getting different public networks popping up all over Could a rouge device from one location affect all the others Would it have to be in corporate HQ Or is this something else entirely on the fault of the ISP It's a really annoying problem that I would love some help on

http://www.sevenforums.com/network-sharing/379553-computers-have-public-network-1-2-3-4-5-instead-private-domain.html
Relevancy 58.05%

Hello Folks

We are a library system. We do have public machines which patron use for their own stuff. I am looking a software where staff can limit the public computer for time, software restrictions, etc and can be managed by a centralized system which can hook it up to Active directory or so. Any idea?

A:Software for Library System-Public Computers

I think your best source is to contact some of the other libraries in your area and see what they are using.

I know that the KCLS here in Washington state uses many different programs and they have a large software and IT budget. KCLS is one of the top 10 Libraries in the US.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/software-for-library-system-public-computers.1152347/
Relevancy 57.62%

I have setup a network for someone. it was working fine when i left it but it is used by a small organisation/charity so has lots of volunteers who aren't all very well versed in using computers. i set it up so they would all be able to share files through the public folders but for some reason the individual public folders on each computer can't see whats in the public folder for the other computer on the network. i have gone through the network and made sure all the sharing setting are correct. and can find each computer on the network , i can go into network and sharing centre and browse through the other computer's files that way but cannot utilise the public folder the way its meant to be.

any ideas?

A:Windows 7 wetwork between 3 computers but public folders can't sync

Quote: Originally Posted by Steveforrest

I have setup a network for someone. it was working fine when i left it but it is used by a small organisation/charity so has lots of volunteers who aren't all very well versed in using computers. i set it up so they would all be able to share files through the public folders but for some reason the individual public folders on each computer can't see whats in the public folder for the other computer on the network. i have gone through the network and made sure all the sharing setting are correct. and can find each computer on the network , i can go into network and sharing centre and browse through the other computer's files that way but cannot utilise the public folder the way its meant to be.

any ideas?

You should first check in the Network and Sharing Center> Advanced Sharing Settings, there are separate settings for the Public folders that must be enabled in order to share the Public folders. You should check to ensure that Network Discovery and Printer and File sharing are both enabled.

You should also make share that the permission settings on the C:>Users>Public folder appear as in the picture.

http://www.sevenforums.com/network-sharing/287751-windows-7-wetwork-between-3-computers-but-public-folders-cant-sync.html
Relevancy 53.32%

Okay, so this isn't super important but it would be nice. I have two computers and I would like to file share the computers over the network (wireless) automatically. I have tried to do my own research and have had no luck. If any one could help me, it would be very appreciated.
Thanks!

A:Automatic File Share between two computers

I'm not too sure exactly what you are trying to achieve, but this tutorial may be of help to you.

http://www.sevenforums.com/tutorials...rmissions.html

My apologies if it's not what you're after.

http://www.sevenforums.com/network-sharing/227735-automatic-file-share-between-two-computers.html
Relevancy 52.89%

So I have HomeGroup working on my home PC and my laptop. I want to make it so that any files I place or any changes I make in the "Videos" and "Music" folder will automatically be shared with my laptop and placed in it's "Video/Music" folder (I mean the folders that are easy-accessed in the sidebar of Windows Explorer under "Libraries"). Is this possible? If so, how do I accomplish it?

A:How do I do automatic file transfers on two computers in HomeGroup?

Windows sync toy works well for that.

Download: SyncToy 2.1 - Microsoft Download Center - Download Details

http://www.sevenforums.com/network-sharing/230130-how-do-i-do-automatic-file-transfers-two-computers-homegroup.html
Relevancy 52.89%

My OS is XP Home SP2.
In the Event Viewer (Application), I've noticed that 3 consecutive messages are displayed at the end of my system startup:

1) wuaueng.dll (1876) SUS20ClientDataStore: The database engine started a new instance (0).

2) wuaueng.dll (1876) SUS20ClientDataStore: The database engine stopped the instance (0).

3) wuauclt (1876) The database engine stopped.

I realize that the process mentioned (wuauclt) has to do with automatic updates.
I also realize that they're only "Information" messages, not Errors.
However, I thought this process is supposed to run in the background all the time.
If so, what's causing it to stop? Do these messages come up for everyone?

My setting for Automatic Updates is:
"Notify me but don't automatically download or install them."

I have my services configured according to the web site:
www.BlackViper.com: Windows XP Home and Professional Service Pack 2 Service Configurations
"Safe" Configuration is what I use.

A:Event Viewer Messages concerning Automatic Updates

I'm getting those same messages. I've been having lots o' problems lately, not sure from what... Added a new Lite-On DVDRW, doubled RAM to 512MB and added a 120GB hard drive on Dec. 10th. Lots of messages since than, and lots of BLUE SCREEN STOP messages.
I'm monitoring the event viewer regularly now, and came looking for info on wuauclt.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/event-viewer-messages-concerning-automatic-updates.314450/
Relevancy 52.46%

Hi my computer s is getting error messages whenever i go to a new messages... My error getting computers page or refresh It s really annoying i ve downloaded spybot ad-aware hijack this and spyware doctor and they still haven t fixed it yet the error message is like this internet explorer script error line char My computers getting error messages... URL http www adblaster info here s my hijack this log Logfile of My computers getting error messages... HijackThis v Scan saved at on - - Platform Windows XP SP WinNT MSIE Internet Explorer v SP Running processes C WINDOWS System smss exe C WINDOWS system winlogon exe C WINDOWS system services exe C WINDOWS system lsass exe C WINDOWS system svchost exe C WINDOWS System svchost exe C WINDOWS system LEXBCES EXE C WINDOWS system spoolsv exe C WINDOWS system LEXPPS EXE C WINDOWS Explorer EXE C WINDOWS System igfxtray exe C WINDOWS System hkcmd exe C Program Files Adaptec Easy CD Creator DirectCD DirectCD exe C Program Files Common Files Microsoft Shared Works Shared WkUFind exe C Program Files Lexmark X -X lxbbbmgr exe C PROGRA BILLPS WINPAT WinPatrol exe C Program Files Winamp winampa exe C Program Files Messenger Plus MsgPlus exe C Program Files Lexmark X -X lxbbbmon exe C Program Files QuickTime qttask exe C WINDOWS system ctfmon exe C Program Files MSN Messenger msnmsgr exe C WINDOWS System NMSSvc exe C WINDOWS System svchost exe C WINDOWS system wscntfy exe C WINDOWS system rundll exe C Program Files Lavasoft Ad-Aware SE Personal Ad-Aware exe C Program Files Internet Explorer iexplore exe C DOCUME tony LOCALS Temp Temporary Directory for HijackThis zip HijackThis exe R - HKCU Software Microsoft Internet Explorer Main Search Page http websearch drsnsrch com sidesearch cgi id R - HKCU Software Microsoft Internet Explorer Main Start Page http ca yahoo com R - Default URLSearchHook is missing O - BHO ZIBho Class - CA C- C - a -A C - F F CB - C Program Files Kontiki bin bh dll O - BHO AcroIEHlprObj Class - E F-C D - D -B D- B D BE B - C Program Files Adobe Acrobat Reader ActiveX AcroIEHelper dll O - BHO ngpw clsIS - D CB -CC C- -A E -F B D BCF - c windows ngpw dll O - BHO no name - - F - D - - D F - C PROGRA SPYBOT SDHelper dll O - BHO IExplorr clsIS - ED B - D - - A - F DE E - c windows iexplorr dll file missing O - BHO IExplorr clsIS - E F -E E - CD -A -E FED AF - c windows iexplorr dll file missing O - BHO IExplorr clsIS - E F-F F- -A - ACD D D BC - c windows iexplorr dll file missing O - BHO IeCatch Class - A -E CA- D - CD - D B - C PROGRA FLASHGET jccatch dll O - Toolbar FlashGet Bar - E E AB-F - D - D - BA E - C PROGRA FLASHGET fgiebar dll O - HKLM Run IgfxTray C WINDOWS System igfxtray exe O - HKLM Run HotKeysCmds C WINDOWS System hkcmd exe O - HKLM Run AdaptecDirectCD quot C Program Files Adaptec Easy CD Creator DirectCD DirectCD exe quot O - HKLM Run WorksFUD C Program Files Microsoft Works wkfud exe O - HKLM Run Microsoft Works Portfolio C Program Files Microsoft Works WksSb exe AllUsers O - HKLM Run Microsoft Works Update Detection C Program Files Common Files Microsoft Shared Works Shared WkUFind exe O - HKLM Run MoneyStartUp quot C Program Files Microsoft Money System Activation exe quot O - HKLM Run Lexmark X -X quot C Program Files Lexmark X -X lxbbbmgr exe quot O - HKLM Run WinPatrol C PROGRA BILLPS WINPAT WinPatrol exe O - HKLM Run pmr C Program Files Common Files Presentia pmr exe O - HKLM Run WinampAgent C Program Files Winamp winampa exe O - HKLM Run MessengerPlus quot C Program Files Messenger Plus MsgPlus exe quot O - HKLM Run Workflow E Install Workflow exe O - HKLM Run yavvsg C WINDOWS System cirpmm exe O - HKLM Run dame C Program Files Daum DaumMsg dame exe O - HKLM Run QuickTime Task quot C Program Files QuickTime qttask exe quot -atboottime O - HKCU Run MessengerPlus quot C Program Files Messenger Plus MsgPlus exe quot WinStart O - HKCU Run CTFMON EXE C WINDOWS system ctfmon exe O - HKCU Run msnmsgr quot C Program Files MSN Messenger msnmsgr exe quot backgrou... Read more

A:My computers getting error messages...

First do this :
Start / run
then paste each of these and click ok
regsvr32 /u "..\iexplorr29.dll"

regsvr32 /u "..\iexplorr26.dll"

regsvr32 /u "..\iexplorr27.dll"

regsvr32 /u "..\ngpw34.dll"

then reboot the machine into safe mode http://www.spyware911.net/safemode.htm
Open windows explorer, find then delete:
c:\windows\iexplorr29.dll
c:\windows\iexplorr27.dll
c:\windows\iexplorr26.dll
c:\windows\ngpw34.dll

then post a fresh log.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/my-computers-getting-error-messages.307122/
Relevancy 52.46%

I know I can edit the registry to set a single computer to AutoLogon, but that requires a specific username and password.  

So what would I do if the resource users all have different usernames? We are trying to make a GP to force AutoLogon for our conference rooms, but they all have their own username and password (Conf1, Conf2, Conf3...).

Can I set up an OU level GPO that automatically pulls the domain user credentials for any workstation in the OU?

https://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/c815ca18-5b56-4bc0-900c-7536b83ee516/automatic-logon-for-domain-joined-resource-computers?forum=w7itproui
Relevancy 52.03%

Hi
At work we are all hooked up to a server with Win/2000 Pro in it. Most of us have Win/98 SE on our computers except for one person who has Win/XP Home. We do not have an Internet connection. How could we send messages to one anothers computer using our computers? Thanks. Jim

Relevancy 52.03%

Hello everyone...Please help

I have two computers acting up and no idea what to do.......

Computer 1 problem : a older Dell Dimension 2400.....problem is a message that pops up @
start-up and pops up all throughout the day

16bit MS-DOS Subsystem
C:\Docume~\Mike\LOCALS~1\Temp\Longx912.exe
the NTVDM CPU has encountered an illegal instruction.
CS : 0564 IP : # # #c OP # # # # #
Choose 'close' to terminate application

I have tried everything.... i found the file and tried to delete it but it said can't delete cause another person or program was using it.... i rebooted in the diagnostic mode but still nothing.....any ideas what the problem is ????
Computer 2 problem : Dell XPS 400....problem is i get a message in notepad at start-up

[shellclassInfo]
[email protected]%SystemRoot%\system32\shell32.dll,-21788

again, any idea what this message means and how to get rid of it ??
any and all help is truely apprechiated.....

newatthistx

A:problem messages @ start-up on 2 computers....help please

Hello........Anyone.....any ideas.....PLEASE help

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/problem-messages-start-up-on-2-computers-help-please.760180/
Relevancy 51.6%

Our IT department installed some old version of Symantec Backup Exec (8.5, compatible with XP, not Windows 7), and my computer hasn't been more buggy since, and it throws warnings saying it's "at risk" and no backups have been made for over a week and there's no "restores"... I think it's just not able to see Windows 7 backups/restores.

Anyways, I was reading that Windows 7 already has automatic backup scheduling, but not sure if that can be configured for all computers on the network, and that may be why they're digging up old licensed software instead of just configuring it the Windows way (is that problematic?).

http://www.sevenforums.com/backup-restore/391188-windows-7-automatic-backup-scheduling-folder-network-computers.html
Relevancy 51.6%

At home we have computers all hooked up via DSL and Router The past month or so our computers are all having an extreme problem getting error computers all messages, are www, failing no network throughout the internet Some pages can be viewed and others cannot This error messages, no www, network computers are all failing is weird because my family and friends can view pages that we can t Additionally I have DSL Extreme When I first got error messages, no www, network computers are all failing it everything was extremely fast Now some images and some websites do not appear Other problems surface as well The performance is horrible This is the error we receive Windows system shdoclc dll dnserror htm I read at another website to find out what I could do to fix this and they posted to run quot hijackthis quot program and post the results I did that and have not been able to get a solution If there is anyone that can help please let me know If you need the quot hijackthis quot info let me know and I will post it here Thank you soooo much for all the help Sandy nbsp

Relevancy 51.6%

hey everyone ive got what i think is a pretty interesting question here i have a linksys wireless router which other/unknown computers workgroup Sending messages to does not have the generic linksys ssid but it is unsecured i am planning to secure it but i am not ready yet as i am still tweaking some other things with the router and my computers anyways i have a neighbor who keeps logging onto my router even after i check the dhcp log and delete them they just reconnect a little while later after ive kicked them off my question is this i would like to send them a friendly message but i cannot figure out how to i am familiar with the basics of netsend but as far as i know to use netsend the computer has to be in the same workgroup is this correct if so is there a way that i can find their workgroup or even send them a message without sending them a message lastly if they have netsend disabled on their computer is there a way that i can send a message by another means i know that this is a pretty interesting question but i would just like to be able to send them a message nothing harsh before securing my network so i would greatly appreciate any help thanks in advance Sending messages to other/unknown workgroup computers note i posted this message in two forums on techspot because i wasnt sure of the right one to Sending messages to other/unknown workgroup computers use nbsp

A:Sending messages to other/unknown workgroup computers

to use netsend the computer has to be in the same workgroup.Click to expand...

No, but both computers must have the messenger service enabled.

You're solution is to secure your network - either by encryption or by allowing only your own mac addresses - possibly both.

Being a neighbor, you could also drop a note through their door

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/sending-messages-to-other-unknown-workgroup-computers.50149/
Relevancy 48.16%

Now any mail that l receive is also printed in her account. Any mail the she receives goes nowhere. Also yesterday I tried to send some mail to a government department which I was unable to send not only in my account but also in hers. Please help two
senior people that have not idea now what to do . John

https://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/e5b05511-ff21-44b4-94e0-34676a47f18e/i-need-help-please-not-very-good-with-computers-a-short-while-ago-when-logging-on-the-windows-live?forum=w7itprogeneral
Relevancy 48.16%

I've corrupted the permissions on my C:\Users\Public\Public\Downloads folder. How can I recreate this folder? I've tried deleting the folder and then recreating it in the registry under HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\..\Shell Folders & User Shell Folders, but
to no avail.
This is on a Windows 8.1 Pro x64, non-domain, desktop installation.

https://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/9811f36d-fe94-472c-aa06-96c0f3d30f57/how-to-recreate-the-cuserspublicpublicdownloads-folder?forum=w8itprogeneral
Relevancy 48.16%

I have a new computer with Vista Home Premium and I moved some of the Public Folders Public Documents another directory to folder Public Public longer no moved Music Pictures from C to D as instructed by Microsoft at this link When you try to move a public folder in Windows Vista the Move button may be missing I want to be able to share these folders from their new location with the other computers in my home network so I turned on the Public Folder sharing in the Network and Sharing Center However in the Network and Sharing Center the only public folders recognized are the ones still at the original location - C Users Public Favorites and C Public Desktop hidden files and Recorded TV I have spent a few hours searching for the answer to this on the internet In this version of Vista Home Premium there is NOTthe option to change the letter of the directory in the registry by changing the key called public as suggested by the How To Geek at this link Move the Public folder moved to another directory no longer Public Public Folder in Windows Vista the How-To Geek How To Geek says quot Browse down to this key HKEY LOCAL MACHINE SOFTWARE Microsoft Windows NT CurrentVersion ProfileList You should see a key called Public Double-click it to open it and change it to D Public or whatever location you want to move the public folder to quot Note - Vista Home Premium does NOT have a Public key Does anyone else have any other ideas Thanks so much in advance

A:Public folder moved to another directory no longer Public

Originally Posted by vistabegood

I have a new computer with Vista Home Premium and I moved some of the Public Folders (Public Documents, Music, Pictures) from C to D, as instructed by Microsoft at this link When you try to move a public folder in Windows Vista, the Move button may be missing

I want to be able to share these folders from their new location with the other computers in my home network, so I turned on the Public Folder sharing in the Network and Sharing Center.

However, in the Network and Sharing Center the only public folders recognized are the ones still at the original location - C:\Users\Public\Favorites and C:\ ...\Public Desktop (hidden files) and ...\Recorded TV.

I have spent a few hours searching for the answer to this on the internet. In this version of Vista Home Premium, there is NOTthe option to change the letter of the directory in the registry by changing the key called public as suggested by the How To Geek at this link Move the Public Folder in Windows Vista :: the How-To Geek

How To Geek says:
"Browse down to this key:
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\ProfileList
You should see a key called Public. Double-click it to open it and change it to D:\Public, or whatever location you want to move the public folder to."Note - Vista Home Premium does NOT have a Public key.

Does anyone else have any other ideas?

Thanks so much in advance.

If you open Windows Explorer and right click on the directory that you want to share. Select Share from the popup menu and then click on the Advanced Sharing button. In the Advanced Sharing dialogue, select Share this folder. If you want sharing users to be able to add or delete files then click on permissions and make sure that the Group Everyone has Full Control selected.

I hope this helps.

UKMedia

http://www.vistax64.com/network-sharing/221640-public-folder-moved-another-directory-no-longer-public.html
Relevancy 43.86%

I have two network cards in my PC. One of them connects to the internet while the other connects to my home network.

The issue is enabling public folders for the home network in "Network and Sharing Center" enables public folders for the public network also. In other words Windows grants permission to people on the internet to access my c:\users\Public folder.

Disabling public folders under public network settings disables public folders for the home network also, preventing people on my local area network from accessing my PC.

Refer this screenshot if you don't get my problem: http://www.flickr.com/photos/[email protected]/6878074832/

In other words Windows grants permission to people on the internet to access my c:\users\Public folder.

A:Cannot turn off "Public Folder Sharing" for public network

I think it's because you set up a Public Network as your first interface. Because of this it may not be possible to turn off the Public file sharing option.

You don't need to use both interfaces to share the wireless connection with your wife. You can do that with a single interface by just setting up a Home Network on one of the interfaces then sharing out from that interface using software to make it easier like Connectify.

http://www.sevenforums.com/network-sharing/221552-cannot-turn-off-public-folder-sharing-public-network.html
Relevancy 40.42%

Hi all Does setting Windows Updates to quot notify for download and notify for install quot via GP edit also Driver? include automatic automatic Device Updates Win disabling Does disable Device Driver automatic installation Or does disabling automatic device driver installation need to be configured separately If the latter separate setting is Does disabling automatic Win Updates include automatic Device Driver? it advisable to do so despite the ominous warning from M that quot your device may not work as expected quot I followed Brink's characteristically excellent tutorial for GP edit here Windows Update Automatic Updates - Does disabling automatic Win Updates include automatic Device Driver? Enable or Disable in Windows to quot notify for download and notify for install quot Thanks for that So my questions center on whether doing so will also prevent automatic device driver installation or whether I need to and or should configure that setting separately M 's ominous warning seems to be strongly discouraging users from disabling automatic device driver updates and quot realistic icons quot For my OEM XP Vista and systems I have always gotten drivers -- WHEN NEEDED -- from the OEM not via Windows Update as the OEMs historically have done a better job than M in offering the needed drivers for their computers Is that still true under Win Assuming that disabling automatic Windows Updates does NOT also disable automatic device driver updates should I disable automatic device driver installation on this OEM Win box TIA MM

A:Does disabling automatic Win Updates include automatic Device Driver?

Hello MM,

That will stop drivers from automatically being installed in Windows Update, but won't stop drivers from being available in Windows Update.

If you don't want drivers to be available in Windows Update, then you can disable this using the tutorial below. If disabled, you'll have to manually update (download and install) your drivers from the manufacturer.

Driver Updates in Windows Update - Enable or Disable in Windows 10driver-updates-windows-update-enable-disable-windows-10-a.html

The first tutorial below you posted will turn on/off automatic installation of drivers for devices. However, I would recommend to also disable automatic updates in the second tutorial below to be safe.

Device Driver Automatic Installation - Turn On or Off in Windows 10

Windows Update Automatic Updates - Enable or Disable in Windows 10

http://www.tenforums.com/windows-updates-activation/56958-does-disabling-automatic-win-updates-include-automatic-device-driver.html
Relevancy 40.42%

This kind of problem I am seeing for the first time in my life without having a ending Search WMP launch of Automatic with shutdown automatic Windows and clue The pc is own by one of my friend First foolish thing he did was to put some customized xp into his computer Suddenly today morning he started to scream on phone about this problem I am not able to see the desktop The problem is whenever the computer starts windows media player starts up along with search windows one contain no search item another contain quot quot in Automatic launch of Windows Search and WMP ending with automatic shutdown the search item another contain quot quot as search contain the string may be different I can t remember exactly Closing one of them shutting down the system completely No restart It is like someone is opening a search box in front of me and typing the search string The problem was occurring even internet not connected While shutting down sometime it showed quot some no of users are connected shutting down will cause problem quot like that zombie system So I instructed to remove windows xp format c and install windows from original disk Much of my surprise just after installation it started showing the same symptom Internet was not connected After set up with internet I connect it via teamviewer check msconfig -- only one entry was there google update chorme was installed -- I check the processes no suspicious process was running -- There is no autorun inf file in any of the drive There was no pattern of the incident sometime click on my computer open those three windows sometime not Some time it just open up when everything is idle Sometime double click of exe s trigger this It sometime it just like flood of opening those four windows Sometime while I type any weburl it start typing that automatically I need some help Guide me if more information is needed

A:Automatic launch of Windows Search and WMP ending with automatic shutdown

Let's get some more info and go from there.Please download MiniToolBox, save it to your desktop and run it. Checkmark the following checkboxes: Flush DNS Report IE Proxy Settings Reset IE Proxy Settings Report FF Proxy Settings Reset FF Proxy Settings List content of Hosts List IP configuration List Winsock Entries List last 10 Event Viewer log List Installed Programs List Users, Partitions and Memory size. List Minidump FilesClick Go and post the result (Result.txt). A copy of Result.txt will be saved in the same directory the tool is run. Note: When using "Reset FF Proxy Settings" option Firefox should be closed.Download Security Check from HERE, and save it to your Desktop. * Double-click SecurityCheck.exe * Follow the onscreen instructions inside of the black box. * A Notepad document should open automatically called checkup.txt; please post the contents of that document.Next run MBAM (MalwareBytes):Please download Malwarebytes Anti-Malware and save it to your desktop.Download Link 1Download Link 2MBAM may "make changes to your registry" as part of its disinfection routine. If using other security programs that detect registry changes (ie Spybot's Teatimer), they may interfere or alert you. Temporarily disable such programs or permit them to allow the changes.Make sure you are connected to the Internet.Double-click on mbam-setup.exe to install the application.
For instructions with screenshots, please refer to the How to use Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware Guide.When the installation begins, follow the prompts and do not make any changes to default settings.When installation has finished, make sure you leave both of these checked:Update Malwarebytes' Anti-MalwareLaunch Malwarebytes' Anti-MalwareThen click Finish.MBAM will automatically start and you will be asked to update the program before performing a scan.If an update is found, the program will automatically update itself. Press the OK button to close that box and continue.If you encounter any problems while downloading the definition updates, manually download them from here and just double-click on mbam-rules.exe to install.On the Scanner tab:Make sure the "Perform Quick Scan" option is selected.Then click on the Scan button.If asked to select the drives to scan, leave all the drives selected and click on the Start Scan button. The scan will begin and "Scan in progress" will show at the top. It may take some time to complete so please be patient.When the scan is finished, a message box will say "The scan completed successfully. Click 'Show Results' to display all objects found".Click OK to close the message box and continue with the removal process.Back at the main Scanner screen:Click on the Show Results button to see a list of any malware that was found.Make sure that everything is checked, and click Remove Selected.When removal is completed, a log report will open in Notepad.The log is automatically saved and can be viewed by clicking the Logs tab in MBAM.Copy and paste the contents of that report in your next reply. Be sure to post the complete log to include the top portion which shows MBAM's database version and your operating system.Exit MBAM when done.Note: If MBAM encounters a file that is difficult to remove, you will be asked to reboot your computer so MBAM can proceed with the disinfection process. If asked to restart the computer, please do so immediately. Failure to reboot normally (not into safe mode) will prevent MBAM from removing all the malware.Troubleshoot Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware Please download GMER from one of the following locations and save it to your desktop:Main Mirror
This version will download a randomly named file (Recommended)Zipped Mirror
This version will download a zip file you will need to extract first. If you use this mirror, please extract the zip file to your desktop.Disconnect from the Internet and close all running programs.Temporarily disabl... Read more

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/424695/automatic-launch-of-windows-search-and-wmp-ending-with-automatic-shutdown/
Relevancy 40.42%

not sure which section this pertains to specifically but quot drivers quot seems close enough issue i recently upgraded to automatic and/or detection driver automatic Disable hardware install an sli graphics configuration since upgrading my previous method of avoiding the TDR driver crash has stopped working known fix that i can't get to work anymore when running a single gpu i Disable automatic hardware detection and/or automatic driver install could disable and uninstall the nvidia hd audio device then disable and uninstall the hd Disable automatic hardware detection and/or automatic driver install audio controller under system devices problem solved no crashes after adding the second gpu Disable automatic hardware detection and/or automatic driver install there are now two hd audio devices and two hd audio controllers upon disabling or uninstalling either controller the system automatically re-installs the hd audio devices previously uninstalled which in turn causes the hd audio controller to re-enable re-install itself to be clear all hd audio devices and hd audio controllers on my system must be disabled AND uninstalled to prevent TDR or since the upgrade full system freezes or restarts sli double TDR already tried it Drivers - Turn Off Automatic Driver Installation this tutorial does not stop automatic driver installation it just prevents the downloading of drivers from windows update tried it anyway no help How to Stop Windows From Detecting New Hardware eHow disabling automatic hardware detection as described here does not prevent automatic device recognition and driver re-installation safe mode does prevent the drivers from re-installing immediately however it also prevents most software from booting properly after uninstalling hd audio controllers in safe mode and rebooting windows promptly re-installs all uninstalled devices and controllers please help so is there any way to convince windows to stop being so quot helpful quot by re-installing these device drivers at boot or can windows be made to stop looking for uninstalled devices altogether thanks in advance

A:Disable automatic hardware detection and/or automatic driver install

Disable this service:

UPnP Device Host

http://www.sevenforums.com/drivers/292188-disable-automatic-hardware-detection-automatic-driver-install.html
Relevancy 40.42%

Help...

Automatic Data Collection and Dashboard /Date Inputs are automatic. Metrics are predicated on the percent complete per month..

It is hard to explain, but the data accumulates hourly, daily, weekly, monthly quarterly, Simi annually and annually.

Some areas do not meet the % required for the month others do the dashboard should show that.

The dashboard should show each month the % complete and if it is on target.

Please see spreadsheet example, I can manage the most conditional formatting; I just need help to automate the process.
Thanks,
mrsmithexcels

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f10/automatic-data-collection-and-dashboard-date-inputs-are-automatic-492558.html
Relevancy 39.56%

How do I prevent Automatic restarts after important updates? I want my computer to be updated when theres an important update. I want to be told my computer was updated and needs to be restarted.

I was in the middle of something important tonight before I passed out on the couch. I woke up and my computer restarted without saving

A:Automatic Updates & Stopping Automatic Restarts

Just go into the Windows update control panel and turn off Automatic updates then set it so you control when the updates are installed which gives you the reboot option instead of doing it for you.

http://www.sevenforums.com/windows-updates-activation/62627-automatic-updates-stopping-automatic-restarts.html
Relevancy 38.7%

I log into email account for yahoo. Screen opens and it shows Loading... I am using a Vista Home Premium PC. There is nothing on screen but blank page. You see the headings menu in inbox. But, cannot see the inbox and mail. Is there a registry fix or regsvr32 script that I should run, or is there some type of .dll problem? Help or suggestions is greatly appreciated. Thank you...

A:Email inbox show loading messages. Unable to view messages

You have not said what browser you are using so I will just give a guide using IE8.

The most common fix for this problem seems to be to delete your browsing history, cookies, etc. With the browser open click on Tools, Internet Options, then select Delete under Browsing History, on the next page uncheck all the boxes and click on Delete. Give it a minute or two to complete and then reboot the PC.

This will have deleted all your saved passwords so you will have to enter and save any you use.

This address will go directly to the mail page, if you get stuck, and you could also try using the refresh button.

http://uk.m.yahoo.com/p/mail?4=N

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/email-inbox-show-loading-messages-unable-to-view-messages.160488/
Relevancy 38.7%

I was trying to install an HP Printer. It would not install. I called HP and an HP Tech accessed my computer remotely. He pulled up a bunch of error and stopped working messages. He said my computer was about to crash. He wanted a ton of money to fix it. I have no money, so here I am. I have attached a summary of my computer. I am really computer stupid so any help I can get will be truly appreciated.
Annette Manaclay

A:[SOLVED] Error messages and stopped working messages, Windows 7

I don't know where to begin. Let's start be deleting all old versions of Java in your control panel and updating at: java.com: Java + You
Also, stop using ToolWiz and Optimizer Pro These Registry Cleaners cause the kind of problems you're experiencing.

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f217/solved-error-messages-and-stopped-working-messages-windows-7-a-735745.html
Relevancy 38.27%

Im new to this service.  I cant resent my dns.  when I do I lose internet access,, lots of other stuff.  I had my computers fixed by professionals in October $$$ and now everything is back. 

A:I am Hijacked all computers. changed dns computers set as client no admin

Hello and welcome to Bleeping Computer! I am HelpBot: an automated program designed to help the Bleeping Computer Staff better assist you! This message contains very important information, so please read through all of it before doing anything.
We apologize for the delay in responding to your request for help. Here at Bleeping Computer we get overwhelmed at times, and we are trying our best to keep up. Please note that your topic was not intentionally overlooked. Our mission is to help everyone in need, but sometimes it takes just a little longer to get to every request for help. No one is ignored here.
To help Bleeping Computer better assist you please perform the following steps:
*************************************************** In order to continue receiving help at BleepingComputer.com, YOU MUST tell me if you still need help or if your issue has already been resolved on your own or through another resource! To tell me this, please click on the following link and follow the instructions there.CLICK THIS LINK >>> http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/logreply/597102 <<< CLICK THIS LINK
If you no longer need help, then all you needed to do was the previous instructions of telling me so. You can skip the rest of this post. If you do need help please continue with Step 2 below.
***************************************************If you still need help, I would like you to post a Reply to this topic (click the "Add Reply" button in the lower right hand of this page). In that reply, please include the following information:If you have not done so already, include a clear description of the problems you're having, along with any steps you may have performed so far.A new FRST log. For your convenience, you will find the instructions for generating these logs repeated at the bottom of this post.Please do this even if you have previously posted logs for us.If you were unable to produce the logs originally please try once more.If you are unable to create a log please provide detailed information about your installed Windows Operating System including the Version, Edition and if it is a 32bit or a 64bit system.If you are unsure about any of these characteristics just post what you can and we will guide you.Please tell us if you have your original Windows CD/DVD available. Upon completing the above steps and posting a reply, another staff member will review your topic and do their best to resolve your issues.
Thank you for your patience, and again sorry for the delay.
We need to see some information about what is happening in your machine. Please perform the following scan again: Download FRST by Farbar from the following link if you no longer have it available and save it to your destop.FRST Download LinkWhen you go to the above page, there will be 32-bit and 64-bit downloads available. Please click on the appropriate one for your version of Windows. If you are unsure as to whether your Windows is 32-bit or 64-bit, please see this tutorial.Double click on the FRST icon and allow it to run. Agree to the usage agreement and FRST will open. Do not make any changes and click on the Scan button. Notepad will open with the results. Post the new logs as explained in the prep guide. Close the program window, and delete the program from your desktop.As I am just a silly little program running on the BleepingComputer.com servers, please do not send me private messages as I do not know how to read and reply to them! Thanks!

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/597102/i-am-hijacked-all-computers-changed-dns-computers-set-as-client-no-admin/
Relevancy 38.27%

Lenovo laptop running Windows getting random popup messages on the desktop When using Internet Explorer I get McAfee Secure messages in the browser window even through the computer is not running McAfee Thank you DDS Ver - - - NTFS AMD Internet Explorer Run by Ilene at on - - Microsoft Windows GMT - AV Windows Defender Disabled Updated Random Popup McAfee Messages IE Appearing - in messages D Random Popup Messages Appearing - McAfee messages in IE DDC A- F- fae- E -DA C ACF AV Symantec Endpoint Protection cloud Enabled Updated DF - - D- - DC EFD BF SP Windows Defender Disabled Updated D DDC A- F- fae- E -DA C ACF SP Symantec Endpoint Protection cloud Enabled Updated D BEB -B A- E - B -B B FW Symantec Endpoint Protection cloud Enabled BE D -DB F- - AD - F E C FC Running Processes C WINDOWS system svchost exe -k DcomLaunch C WINDOWS system svchost exe -k RPCSS C WINDOWS system dwm exe C WINDOWS system nvvsvc exe C WINDOWS system nvvsvc exe C WINDOWS System svchost exe -k LocalServiceNetworkRestricted C WINDOWS system svchost exe -k netsvcs C WINDOWS system svchost exe -k LocalService C Program Files NVIDIA Corporation Display nvxdsync exe C WINDOWS System svchost exe -k LocalSystemNetworkRestricted C Program Files IDT WDM STacSV exe C WINDOWS system svchost exe -k NetworkService C WINDOWS system WLANExt exe C WINDOWS System spoolsv exe C WINDOWS system svchost exe -k LocalServiceNoNetwork C Program Files x Common Files Adobe ARM armsvc exe C Program Files x Common Files Apple Mobile Device Support AppleMobileDeviceService exe C Program Files Bonjour mDNSResponder exe C Program Files Microsoft Office ClientX OfficeClickToRun exe C WINDOWS system dashost exe C Program Files Intel WiFi bin EvtEng exe C Program Files x iDashboardsEval server bin idashboardseval exe C Program Files Intel iCLS Client HeciServer exe C Program Files x Intel Bluetooth ibtrksrv exe C Program Files Symantec cloud EndpointProtectionAgent Engine ccSvcHst exe C Program Files x NVIDIA Corporation NetService NvNetworkService exe C Program Files NVIDIA Corporation NvStreamSrv nvstreamsvc exe C Program Files Common Files Intel WirelessCommon RegSrvc exe C Program Files x Surf Canyon scbhmon exe C Program Files Symantec cloud PlatformAgent ccSvcHst exe C WINDOWS system svchost exe -k imgsvc C Program Files x Lenovo Lenovo VeriFace VfConnectorService exe C Program Files Intel WiFi bin ZeroConfigService exe C Program Files Symantec cloud PlatformAgent ccSvcHst exe C Program Files Symantec cloud AntiVirus AVAgent exe C WINDOWS system svchost exe -k LocalServiceAndNoImpersonation C WINDOWS system svchost exe -k NetworkServiceNetworkRestricted C Windows System WUDFHost exe C WINDOWS system wbem unsecapp exe c program files symantec cloud antivirus ssDVAgent exe C WINDOWS system wbem wmiprvse exe C Program Files Symantec cloud EndpointProtectionAgent Engine ccSvcHst exe C Program Files Intel BluetoothHS BTHSAmpPalService exe C Program Files x Intel Bluetooth devmonsrv exe C Program Files x Intel Bluetooth obexsrv exe C Program Files Intel BluetoothHS BTHSSecurityMgr exe C Program Files Intel Intel reg Rapid Storage Technology IAStorDataMgrSvc exe C Program Files x Intel Intel reg Management Engine Components DAL jhi service exe C Program Files x Intel Intel reg Management Engine Components LMS LMS exe C WINDOWS system SearchIndexer exe C Program Files NVIDIA Corporation NvStreamSrv nvstreamsvc exe C Program Files Symantec cloud EndpointProtectionAgent Engine ccSvcHst exe C WINDOWS system taskhostex exe c Program Files Microsoft Mouse and Keyboard Center itype exe c Program Files Microsoft Mouse and Keyboard Center ipoint exe C Program Files x NVIDIA Corporation Update Core NvBackend exe C WINDOWS Explorer EXE C Windows System skydrive exe C Windows System igfxtray exe C Windows System igfxpers exe C WINDOWS system igfxsrvc exe C Program Files Synaptics SynTP SynTPEnh exe C Program Files Symantec cloud PlatformAgent PAUI exe C Users Ilene AppData Local Akamai netsession ... Read more

A:Random Popup Messages Appearing - McAfee messages in IE

Hello, Welcome to BleepingComputer.I'm nasdaq and will be helping you.If you can please print this topic it will make it easier for you to follow the instructions and complete all of the necessary steps in the order listed.===Please download AdwCleaner by Xplode onto your Desktop.Close all open programs and internet browsers.Double click on AdwCleaner.exe to run the tool.Click the Scan button and wait for the process to complete.Click the Report button and the report will open in Notepad.IMPORTANTIf you click the Clean button all items listed in the report will be removed.If you find some false positive items or programs that you wish to keep, Close the AdwCleaner windows.Close all open programs and internet browsers.Double click on AdwCleaner.exe to run the tool.Click the Scan button and wait for the process to complete.Check off the element(s) you wish to keep.Click on the Clean button follow the prompts.A log file will automatically open after the scan has finished.Please post the content of that log file with your next answer.You can find the log file at C:\AdwCleaner[Sn].txt (n is a number).===Download the version of this tool for your operating system.Farbar Recovery Scan Tool (64 bit)Farbar Recovery Scan Tool (32 bit)and save it to a folder on your computer's Desktop.Double-click to run it. When the tool opens click Yes to disclaimer.Press Scan button.It will make a log (FRST.txt) in the same directory the tool is run. Please copy and paste it to your reply.The first time the tool is run, it makes also another log (Addition.txt). Please attach it to your reply.===Please paste the logs in your next reply DO NOT ATTACH THEM unless specified.To attach a file select the "More Reply Option" and follow the instructions.How is the computer running?Wait for further instructions.

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/550176/random-popup-messages-appearing-mcafee-messages-in-ie/
Relevancy 37.84%

Hi Contrarily to previous Windows versions the user can no longer decide when and how to update Windows but the OS does it all by itself - at any time and unasked for This occasions unexpected automatic updates other and of to automatic annoyances How get rid and unwanted machine How to get rid of automatic updates and other automatic annoyances slowdowns - sometimes at startup sometimes at closing down sometimes in the middle of a session In my view a most annoying and disturbing interference in my normal workflow So is there any way or tweak to take Windows Updates in hands again on that level This is not the only occurrence where Windows takes things in hands Indeed despite countless telephones to Microsoft there is no way to prevent it from associating everyday graphic files like for example jpg gif png and more with its own clunky quot Photos quot utility or send pdf files to its own and even more clunky quot Edge quot - instead of opening these files to the programs or utilities one has How to get rid of automatic updates and other automatic annoyances decided to associate them with Trying to associate these via Settings helps nothing at all or just for a moment or if one is in luck for a whole session But invariably Windows reverts to its own quot choices quot The only solution How to get rid of automatic updates and other automatic annoyances Microsoft could offer was to do a clean re-install of Windows I don't call this a solution but just plain amateurism So if anyone knows how to get rid of these - with the update annoyance in the first place because for the other ones I can still workaround via quot open with quot whereas my hands are tied with those updates Thanks haku

A:How to get rid of automatic updates and other automatic annoyances

Hello haku,

Since you have Windows 10 Home, OPTION FOUR in the tutorial below may be your best option to disable automatic updates in Windows Update.

http://www.tenforums.com/performance-maintenance/42873-how-get-rid-automatic-updates-other-automatic-annoyances.html
Relevancy 37.84%

I'm a system admin full of users that don't bother to install the windows patches and updates. Well I've setup the desktops to automatically check, download, and install the updates.

Does this only check at the time specified?

Does it only download critical updates? windows updates? drivers?

Does it prompt the user when it's downloading and installing? Does it force them to restart their machines?

A:windows automatic updates isn't so automatic

If you're talking about Auto Updates in XP, then you can specify an exact time for the updater to check and download and install the updates. RIGHT click My Computer/Auto Update Tab. Otherwise, depending on the internet connection, update looks only once a day I believe. ONLY critical updates are brought down, you must visit the site for driver and other updates.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/windows-automatic-updates-isnt-so-automatic.109191/
Relevancy 37.84%

Hi Contrarily to previous Windows versions the user can no longer decide when and how to update Windows but the OS does it all by itself - at any time and unasked for This occasions unexpected and unwanted machine slowdowns - sometimes at startup sometimes at closing down sometimes in the middle of a session In my view a most annoying and disturbing interference in my normal workflow So is there any way or tweak to take Windows Updates get automatic annoyances to other How automatic and updates rid of in hands again on that level This is not the only occurrence where Windows takes things in hands Indeed despite countless telephones to Microsoft there is no way to prevent it from associating everyday graphic files like for example jpg gif png and more with its own clunky quot Photos quot utility or send pdf files to its own and even more clunky quot Edge quot - instead of How to get rid of automatic updates and other automatic annoyances opening these files to the programs or utilities one has decided to associate them with Trying to associate these via Settings helps nothing at all or just for a moment or if one is in luck for a whole session But invariably Windows reverts to its own quot choices quot The only solution Microsoft could offer was to do a clean re-install of Windows I don't call this a solution but just plain amateurism So if anyone knows how to get rid of these - with the update annoyance in the first place because for the other How to get rid of automatic updates and other automatic annoyances ones I can still workaround via quot open with quot whereas my hands are tied with those updates How to get rid of automatic updates and other automatic annoyances Thanks haku

A:How to get rid of automatic updates and other automatic annoyances

Hello haku,

Since you have Windows 10 Home, OPTION FOUR in the tutorial below may be your best option to disable automatic updates in Windows Update.

http://www.tenforums.com/windows-updates-activation/42873-how-get-rid-automatic-updates-other-automatic-annoyances.html
Relevancy 33.54%

I have a TMG Firewall as my firewall. I need to publish some ports on the web, for example port 80. The problem is that I need to publish more than one thing on the same port. I have more than 1 public IP which I currently do not use (I only use 1).

What is the best thing that I do so I can publish more than 1 service on the same port?

Thanks,
J

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/public-ips-on-tmg.1122727/
Relevancy 33.54%

I have 2 PC's connected through a Siemens Speedstream 6520 wireless router using Sympatico HighSpeed Internet connection. When I am in router configuration I have two seperate IP addresses showing for each PC but on-line both computers have the same public IP address. My question is can I set it up so each computer has a different public address? And if so how?

A:Public IP

Palmal said:

My question is can I set it up so each computer has a different public address? And if so how?Click to expand...

Not unless you buy two addresses/connections from your ISP. If you are prepared to pay for more IP addresses/connections from your provider then you can of course have multiple public IP address (you just won't able to use the Speedstream wireless router, it will still only be able to handle the single WAN IP at a time).
The whole point of the wireless router is that it takes a single WAN IP address and allows you to maintain a LAN of multiple IPs behind it. Which is what most people want: you pay for only one Internet connection/address, you hang multiple devices off it.
Is there a reason you want/need each PC to have a different public IP address?

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/public-ip.569057/
Relevancy 33.54%

I'm computer and tech. challanged ( chef, live in the kitchen and don't function well in general pop. [ or in general ]). What could be cooler than a one of a kind, NASA built, cutting edge cell phone with a Kung-Fu grip ? - said I ... ( pause for laughter or tears or both ). Verizon wouldn't repair, replace or disscount a new phone ( after 2 years [ same phone ] ) when mine went south. SO, I got internet on them and wasted my cash with someone else ( Haier P7, and don't get me started on finding parts ; oye vay, my ulcer). Long story long... My cell is T-mobile ( no Bluetooth ) and internet is Verizon. How can I merge the two ( free or reeeeaaallll cheap ) to WAP like no-bawdees-bizz ??? Thank for tolerating the dumb aminals !!! -Cutter

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/to-wap-or-not-to-wap-at-least-in-public.388460/
Relevancy 33.54%

Hey guys,

So I will try to explain this the best I can. I have been given another public ISP address to create a separate network. Currently we have our original Public ISP assigned to a sonic wall router in which everything goes back to the default gateway that our ISP is using to the WAN side. The LAN side has two subnets (both out of two separate interfaces, one for data, one for phone. That is all working and good to go.
The second Public IP however is going out through the same first usable on our original public address. After talking with our ISP they tell us we need to set up a default routing path to show that anything that comes from that New IP to route to the old IP. Unfortunately I do not know how to do this. Anyone else do this? I have tried to include a picture for better reference.

A:Need help with a second Public IP

If I were to trust the spirit of the IPs you've listed in the diagram, particularly the public IPs, are you stating the new second public IP is on a totally different subnet than the current public IP you're using? Is your ISP telling you the second IP is operational on the same physical circuit the current public IP is being used on?

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/need-help-with-a-second-public-ip.1156499/
Relevancy 33.54%

I have two computers at home, Connected via Crossover cable.
I can share Internet, share files over LAN fine..

I was wondering if is it possible to have the two computers setup with two different Public IP address..

Hope My question is Clear Enough for you techies to help me out???

-Vasu

A:Different Public IP's on One LAN

No, it's not possible.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/different-public-ips-on-one-lan.585125/
Relevancy 33.54%

After emailing my isp about connectivity problems while running online muliplayer games such as couter strike, they have told me to get a public ip address. They say i have ot buy it but as i think that this should be included in the isp package, i do not want to pay. Is there anything else i can do in order to get a public ip and how? I know nearly nothing concerning this issue so please be detailed.

Relevancy 33.54%

Hello everyone I have searched around a bit to see if others have ran into this problem but I have had no luck so far When I start my computer it pops up with the standard menu it uses when an OS error has caused a restart choose Restart Unless Boot Restart",,,, on Automatic Automatic "Disable I I can t get it too load windows using safe mode last known good configuration or normal mode I never even see the windows loading screen it restarts immediately Here is what I have tried I ran a check disk using the recovery console but it did not fix the problem I manually backed up the SYSTEM SAM DEFAULT SECURITY and SOFTWARE files from Automatic Restart on Boot Unless I choose "Disable Automatic Restart",,,, the root windows system config folder I then replaced those files with ones from a few days ago located in the root system volume information folder It did not fix my problem I m about to re-install windows when I decide to press f on boot and disable automatic restarts on system failure just to see if I m missing some sort of BSOD Windows completely loaded without any problems This confused me so I reversed the actions I took in step above just to see whether it would boot with the original files as long as I chose quot Disable Automatic Restarts on System Failure quot It loaded windows without a problem I restarted to see whether it would boot normally or not Again it wouldn t load windows with any options other than the quot Disable automatic restarts on system failure quot option At this point I m pretty confused Could the Automatic Restart on Boot Unless I choose "Disable Automatic Restart",,,, OS be mistaking an error and automatically restarting for no reason That is the only logical reason I can think of as to why windows will load only when using the disable automatic restarts option I have never ran across such a crazy thing Any ideas Thanks guys Jake EDIT The OS Windows XP Pro SP nbsp

A:Automatic Restart on Boot Unless I choose "Disable Automatic Restart",,,,

Any ideas? I can just re-install, but I want to figure this out. It seems so odd to me. Thanks!

Jake

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/automatic-restart-on-boot-unless-i-choose-disable-automatic-restart.852138/
Relevancy 33.54%

A question my husband just posed. We share a computer room - me on a desktop hooked into a cable modem - hubby on a laptop just going wireless! He asked me if I thought my computer could affect his laptop even though we are not hooked together. Is that possible???? I know that phones or other things can affect computers (?) right or am I off base with that? Thanks for any info. Pip

A:Computers affecting Computers

depends on what kind of "effect" we are talking about, usually, if one computer is wireless, then you have a wireless router, and your pc, though not wireless, would still be connected to that same router. So, in that sense, they are a little "connected" to each other. But it would be important to know what kind effect he is worried about

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/computers-affecting-computers.574879/
Relevancy 33.54%

Well I just screwed up Folders Public big time I was adding a guest account to my Windows PC so a friend could use it and Public Folders I clicked on Manage your Credentials and deleted the Generic Credentials account Now my public folders are locked and I get the error quot C Users Public Documents folder is not accessible Access is denied quot How do I correct this knee-jerk dumbazz mistake Trying system restore and establishing a new generic account did not correct my error I swear I have not seen that before and I thought it a security risk and I think of myself as an above average computer knowledgeable user I guess not Thanks in advance for any help you can give Well I went in and changed Folder Options to default and now the Public Folders that were locked and inaccessible are now accessible again I have no idea what s going on and I am guessing that Generic Credentials had nothing to do with the problem However I am sure something else will show up eventually CONSIDER THIS CLOSED I GUESS

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/461597/public-folders/
Relevancy 33.54%

I am a first timer to use public IP. please help sharing your idea on how to use it? I have windows 2003 server installed with mailserver...

Relevancy 33.54%

Just got another laptop with vista home premium. want to connect to wifes laptop, also vista home premium, through belkin N wireless router. Router works fine. laptops both "see" each other, BUT ONLY the Public folders. Any idea what button I need to push so we can see everything on each others computers. Both network types are set to Private so I don't think that's the problem. HELP! PLEASE!

Cliff, an old electronics instructor who's met his match in Vista

A:Can't see anything but Public folders

you have to set the sharing properties for each folder you want to share with each other.

right click on the folder and click on share.

http://www.vistax64.com/network-sharing/234230-cant-see-anything-but-public-folders.html
Relevancy 33.54%

We will be traveling for months here in the US and hope to use our laptop to pay bills. Are public Wi Fi spots safe, and if not, what can we use? Thanks.

A:Public Wi Fi connections

Since you will be doing financial transactions I would suggest using a VPN with Public Wi-Fi.

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/452401/public-wi-fi-connections/
Relevancy 33.54%

Hi,

Has anyone changed settings to use Google's Public DNS?

I ran across this....

http://code.google.com/speed/public-dns/
Post back if you like it or find it unremarkable, or whatever.....

Sounds like this would be helpful, if you didn't mind the privacy bugs.

A:Google's Public DNS----- anyone using it?

I think Google knows enough about my surfing without giving them even more.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/googles-public-dns-anyone-using-it.882648/
Relevancy 33.54%

Hello New user I ve been scratching my brains for ages trying to figure this out I have a relatively basic network setup We have a range of public IP addresses which I ve set up through a router with NAT disabled We have several servers which need public IP addresses which are directly connected to this router we also IPs public routers several Two have an internal network which are connected to a firewall which is in turn connecting to the router with the Two routers several public IPs public IP s and so on This works fine for general usage however a few of the servers host programs which need to be accessed Two routers several public IPs by the internal network users The problem with this is that whilst I can route them through using the external server IP addresses as a network drive in windows this is proving to be incredibly slow and unusable Is there a way to get Two routers several public IPs these servers which are outside of the firewall to be seen by the computers on the inside of the firewall I hope that makes sense nbsp

A:Two routers several public IPs

I can patch the servers running the software through into the internal switch (via a secondary NIC in each unit) which makes them available on the network, again this is fine, I'm just worried about the implications of bypassing the firewall -- as wel deal with secure information.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/two-routers-several-public-ips.937791/
Relevancy 33.54%

my ISP will give 16 public IP's
please anyone suggest what I can do with all IPs. I want to optimize the usage of IP given.
Thanks

A:optimize public IP

these are fixed IP address for you to use - unusual to get that in a domestic setting, I had a business account and was only assigned 5 IPS

this means your public IP address is not changing every time you log onto the interenet.

only really useful if you have a machine in your home which you want people to access from outside..... (but maybe other reasons)
Ie you want to set up a ftp server - so you friends can copy things off your PC
or you want to have your own webserver at home

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/optimize-public-ip.548972/
Relevancy 33.54%

Hi, i have been searching through forums for days and can't seem to get a straight answer on changing my vista settings from public to private. Tryign to connect to the home network, other computers are connecting fine, but my laptop keeps sayign connection is aking longer than usual, and i need to change the settings from public to private. I do this through the network center, but it automatically changes back to public. If anyone could help it would be GREATLY appreciated..thank you. My computer is running vista unfortunately.

Relevancy 33.54%

PC Specs:

Q6600 G0 @ 2.4GHz
2x1024MB TeamGroup Xtreem Dark 800MHz RAM
EVGA 8800GT 512MB Superclocked
Gigabyte P35-DS3L

A:XP SP3 32, Vista SP1 32, or 7 64 public RC for me?

Depends on what you want. You're system meets the minimum requirement for each OS.

http://www.sevenforums.com/general-discussion/11885-xp-sp3-32-vista-sp1-32-7-64-public-rc-me.html
Relevancy 33.54%

Hello all.

I just reinstalled my OS. To get a clean start.
And there are some 'things' I would like to do away with.
Starting with this file. But I am uncertain if deleting it
will cause me problems and I should leave it alone.

Attachment 3443

Can someone please enlighten me as to what the best
course of action would be?

Thank you very much.

Later Ted

A:Public File

Hi Ted,

I know how you feel about these.

You should not delete any of the Public folders. These are used to share files between the user accounts without getting UAC and are tightly mangled into Vista. Doing so may cause unforeseen problems.

You can safely delete only the contents of the Public folders in the right pane, and the shortcuts to these folders in your user folders.

Hope this helps,
Shawn

http://www.vistax64.com/general-discussion/146590-public-file.html
Relevancy 33.54%

Logfile of HijackThis v Scan saved at on Platform Windows XP WinNT MSIE Internet Explorer v Messengerv.2.03 Public SP Running processes D WINDOWS System smss exeD WINDOWS system csrss exeD WINDOWS system winlogon exeD WINDOWS system services exeD WINDOWS system lsass exeD WINDOWS system svchost exeD WINDOWS System svchost exeD Public Messengerv.2.03 WINDOWS System svchost exeD WINDOWS System svchost exeD WINDOWS Explorer EXED WINDOWS system spoolsv exeD WINDOWS System alg exeD Program Files Alwil Software Avast aswUpdSv exeD Program Files Alwil Software Avast ashServ exeD Program Files Common Files Microsoft Shared VS DEBUG MDM EXED Program Files HHVcdV Sys VC SecS exeD Program Files Hewlett-Packard Digital Imaging Unload hpqcmon exeD Program Files Java jre bin jusched exeD Program Files INTEL DSLSetup ProDsl exeD PROGRA ALWILS Avast ashDisp exeD Program Files HHVcdV Sys VC Play exeD WINDOWS System ctfmon exeD Program Files MSN Messenger msnmsgr exeD Program Files Alwil Software Avast ashWebSv exeD Program Files Alwil Software Avast ashMaiSv exeD Program Files Virtual CD v System VC Tray exeD Program Files Internet Explorer IEXPLORE EXED Program Files Google GoogleToolbarNotifier GoogleToolbarNotifier exeD Program Files HijackThis HijackThis exeR - HKLM Software Microsoft Internet Explorer Main Default Page URL http www mcafee comR - HKCU Software Microsoft Internet Explorer Toolbar LinksFolderName Ba lant larO - BHO Yahoo Toolbar Helper - D -C F - EFB- B - ECA - D Program Files Yahoo Companion Installs cpn yt dllO - BHO AcroIEHlprObj Class - E F-C D - D -B D- B D BE B - D Program Files Adobe Acrobat CE Reader ActiveX AcroIEHelper dllO - BHO no name - - F - D - - D F - D PROGRA SPYBOT SDHelper dllO - BHO PCTools Site Guard - C B A - DB - A -A CB-D BBFEB - D PROGRA SPYWAR tools iesdsg dllO - BHO no name - BB - F - C - DC-E AF DC D D - D Program Files Video ActiveX Object isaddon dll file missing O - BHO SSVHelper Class - BB-D F - C-B EB-D DAF D D - D Program Files Java jre bin ssv dllO - BHO Windows Live Sign-in Helper - D - C - ABF- ECC- C - D Program Files Common Files Microsoft Shared Windows Live WindowsLiveLogin dllO - BHO Google Toolbar Helper - AA ED - DD- d - -CF F - d program files google googletoolbar dllO - BHO PCTools Browser Monitor - B A D D- - C -A - DF C AC - D PROGRA SPYWAR tools iesdpb dllO - Toolbar amp Radyo - E - F- D - E- A C - D WINDOWS System msdxm ocxO - Toolbar amp Google - C B - - d - B - A CD F - d program files google googletoolbar dllO - Toolbar Yahoo Toolbar - EF BD -C FB- D - F- D F - D Program Files Yahoo Companion Installs cpn yt dllO - HKLM Run CamMonitor D Program Files Hewlett-Packard Digital Imaging Unload hpqcmon exeO - HKLM Run SunJavaUpdateSched quot D Program Files Java jre bin jusched exe quot O - HKLM Run DSL Connection Manager D Program Files INTEL DSLSetup ProDsl exe PO - HKLM Run avast D PROGRA ALWILS Avast ashDisp exeO - HKLM Run VC Player D Program Files HHVcdV Sys VC Play exeO - HKCU Run CTFMON EXE D WINDOWS System ctfmon exeO - HKCU Run Regscan D WINDOWS System regscan exeO - HKCU Run msnmsgr quot D Program Files MSN Messenger msnmsgr exe quot backgroundO - Extra context menu item Microsoft Excel'e G amp nder - res D PROGRA MICROS OFFICE EXCEL EXE O - Extra button no name - B E C - FCB- CF-AAA - C - D Program Files Java jre bin ssv dllO - Extra 'Tools' menuitem Sun Java Console - B E C - FCB- CF-AAA - C - D Program Files Java jre bin ssv dllO - Extra button Spyware Doctor - D D A- - D -A A - C B E E - D PROGRA SPYWAR tools iesdpb dllO - Extra button Ara t r - B - CC- C -B BE- C C A - D PROGRA MICROS OFFICE REFIEBAR DLLO - IERESET INF START PAGE URL http www mcafee comO - DPF -C A- E-A -C C BBF Windows Genuine Advantage Validation Tool - http go microsoft com fwlink LinkID O - DPF AF BD - C - EEC- C -B DC D B DownloadManager Control - http dlm tools akamai com dlmanager vers vex- cabO - DPF A - BBA- F-BEB -F D BF Gif Class - http xplug ocxO - DPF E A- D- EE - C-DC FA D FC MUWebC... Read more

A:Public Messengerv.2.03

You should print out these instructions, or copy them to a NotePad file for reading while in Safe Mode, because you will not be able to connect to the Internet to read from this site.Please download SmitfraudFix (by S!Ri)Extract the content (a folder named SmitfraudFix) to your Desktop.Next, please reboot your computer in Safe Mode by doing the following :Restart your computerAfter hearing your computer beep once during startup, but before the Windows icon appears, tap the F8 key continually;Instead of Windows loading as normal, a menu with options should appear;Select the first option, to run Windows in Safe Mode, then press "Enter".Choose your usual account.Once in Safe Mode, open the SmitfraudFix folder again and double-click smitfraudfix.cmdSelect option #2 - Clean by typing 2 and press "Enter" to delete infected files.You will be prompted: "Registry cleaning - Do you want to clean the registry?"; answer "Yes" by typing Y and press "Enter" in order to remove the Desktop background and clean registry keys associated with the infection.The tool will now check if wininet.dll is infected. You may be prompted to replace the infected file (if found); answer "Yes" by typing Y and press "Enter".The tool may need to restart your computer to finish the cleaning process; if it doesn't, please restart it into Normal Windows.A text file will appear onscreen, with results from the cleaning process; please copy/paste the content of that report into your next reply along with a new hijack log.The report can also be found at the root of the system drive, usually at C:\rapport.txtWarning: running option #2 on a non infected computer will remove your Desktop background.

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/76421/public-messengerv203/
Relevancy 33.54%

Hello forum, Recently I added a second web-server to my network. I have 2 static public ip's from my isp. My setup will be:

isp(two static ip's)---->Verizon MI424WR Router--->server 1 and server 2.

I currently have server 1 with IP: 192.168.1.100 and server 2 with IP: 192.168.1.101
If I have the two static public ip's xxx.xxx.xxx.27 and xxx.xxx.xxx.28. How do I forward xxx.xxx.xxx.27 to 192.168.1.100 and xxx.xxx.xxx.28 to 192.168.1.101
I read somewhere where i have to set the iptables on the router to do it. Do I have to buy a special firewall/router to do this or can mine do the trick.

A:Can I use 2 public IP's on one router?

With that Verizon router, you may not be able to. You'll have to check the functionality of it but I'm not confident it will.

If the Verizon router doesn't support multiple WAN IP addresses, check to see if you can turn the router into a pure modem and then connect in a firewall which can support multiple WAN IPs. Juniper and Cisco firewalls will support this.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/can-i-use-2-public-ips-on-one-router.1034720/
Relevancy 33.54%

Was just in my Documents folder when I noticed a "Public" folder. What is this folder? Can anyone see it, and how? All that was in there was some sample videos, pictures and music.

In "Public Documents," there was a folder called "microsoft" and that led to "CRL Identity." That then led to "production." What is that stuff?

A:What are public files?

The actual Public folders are in (for Vista and Win7) C:\Users\Public, which is available for all users, it is public.
If you have a Public anything in your Documents folder it is either a mis-named folder, or else just a shortcut link icon to the actual shared access, Public ones.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/what-are-public-files.910661/
Relevancy 33.54%

I have a HUGE favor to ask. Our server has a public IP address through a company called Qwest. Well, we've switched companies (today) for a few reasons.

You can still get to our webpage (www.capitaltracer.com), but not receive emails. Why?

I haven't switched any IP addresses and DNS stuff on the server yet. I need help doing that though.

Anyway, I didn't think that we would have to switch all our IP addresses. Is there a way to not have to switch if we switch companies?

Or why are we not receiving emails?

Anyway, understand my problem. Please get back to me soon. Everyone in the office is a little disturbed with getting no emails

Thanks for your time!

Relevancy 33.54%

Hey Guys, Ive just installed Windows 8 and am about to start personalising it.

I want to get rid of the public folders or public USER

Could you please advise on how to remove as only I shall use this PC

A:Public Folders

Originally Posted by WTechnologies

Hey Guys, Ive just installed Windows 8 and am about to start personalising it.

I want to get rid of the public folders or public USER

Could you please advise on how to remove as only I shall use this PC

Right click on each one and select sharing - advanced sharing, and uncheck the box share this folder.

http://www.eightforums.com/customization/19443-public-folders.html
Relevancy 33.54%

Hi,
My network Sharing center shows my local network as Public. If I try to "View Full
Map". I am told:
"Windows cannot create the network map because the network's
location type is Public. In order to view the network map, you must set the networks
location type to Private in the Network and Sharing Center"

I do have a laptop (Dell), an external drive (My Book one TB) and a printer (HP Potosmart) that are shared on this network. I don't want to mess up something that is working but I would like
to see the network map. This is a wireless network.
Is it safe to change from public to private? If so, how do I do It?

Thanks
Frank C

A:Public or Private?

Yes it's safe - go to the Netowrk and Sharing Center Select the link that says 'Public Network' beside your connection, and then click on the 'Home Network' option.

Network Location Type - Change

Note that you should only use the Home and Work networking options on netowrks that you alone (and family members) have access to - any other (such as Starbucks) should be Public Networks.

http://www.vistax64.com/network-sharing/297053-public-private.html
Relevancy 33.54%

I've got a problem to access public server,how to do?plz..help me...

Relevancy 33.54%

Hey. I was wondering how do I change my public ip? I already tried unplugging the power cable of both my router and modem for the night without success. I also tried to clone my MAC's address in my router settings but it kind of crashed my internet for about 1 hour(had to reset the router a few times).

Required information:

- Wired connection

- Isp is Vid?otron

- Broadband is either DSL or Fiber Optic

- Modem is Arris Model TM722G and router is linksys EA6500

- Antivirus is Avast Free

- Ipconfig is in attachment if needed.
I couldn't manage to change it by myself so I'm looking for help now

Thanks a lot in advance!

A:How to change public ip?

You ae set up using DHCP so your IP is set automatically. You could try a proxy to mask your IP

http://www.sevenforums.com/network-sharing/375254-how-change-public-ip.html
Relevancy 33.54%

I stupidly didn't fully understand what the Public Folder was and deleted it. I thought that by doing that no one would have access to my personal files. Well, I soon discovered that I shouldn't have done that.

#1. Can I get it back from ?
#2. Now I can't put anything into the Library/Documents Folder and don't understand why.
#3. If I can't retrieve that Public Folder can I somehow re-create another sub folder.

I didn't look in the Recycle Bin. Would it have gone there?

I should have known better since I just got Win 7 but it seemed the smart thing to do at the time.

A:Public Folder

Welcome to the forum.

Use system restore, that is the easiest way, especially since you just made the mistake.

http://www.sevenforums.com/general-discussion/63577-public-folder.html
Relevancy 33.54%

http://ftp.mozilla.org/pub/mozilla.org/fir...eleases/0.10rc/

A:Firefox 1.0 Public RC

Would you mind telling all of us what 'rc' means(I know it stands for Release Candidate)? Maybe a chronological order of the different types of releases?

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/2602/firefox-10-public-rc/
Relevancy 33.54%

Anyone know what time Friday Windows 7 beta will be released, and which sites it can be downloaded at ?

A:When @ Where Public Release.

I don't think anyone knows what exact time and it will be at microsofts windows 7 page.

Information on Downloading and Installing Windows 7 Beta

http://www.sevenforums.com/general-discussion/1492-when-where-public-release.html
Relevancy 33.54%

hi friends.

i work in an orginatian.here we have 4 public ips 2 of them are used by voip and rest of them are free.so wht is need to do is block rest of 3 public ips and make them acces only when they need and take it back when they do not need.

A:how to block public ip.

orginatian.here? What in the world is that?

How about a description of the network topology and what is connected to it. If you have four and two are used, why are you blocking three? What else uses the network?

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/how-to-block-public-ip.729505/
Relevancy 33.54%

I remember with Vista, this folder had multiple entries and they were not mine(probably came with new laptop, like bloat ware?). I was clueless then (with Vista)what that folder was about...and I'm still in the dark(with W7) .

I just discovered today, with W7, this folder is completely empty. (Why?).

I don't remember if I shared it(with Vista), but now I realize I have options...to share or not. I feel silly sharing an empty folder. So I opted to turn sharing OFF . Is being selfish(not sharing) disadvantageous to my system?

A:What's The Public Folder?...and what to do with it?

Hello Pappi,

The "Public" folders, are basically folders that the public (all users) have full access to by default. They basically set to be shared by "Everyone" making it easier to share files between users on the local PC and network easy to do by simply putting a file in one of the Public folders.

Empty Public folders do not take up any space. They are not a security risk since they only have access to what you place in the Public folders.

It's just a personal choice if you want to have Public folder sharing turned on or off.

Here's some more details below on all this if you like.

Public Folder Sharing - Turn On or Off in Windows 7

Hope this helps,
Shawn

http://www.sevenforums.com/general-discussion/326939-whats-public-folder-what-do.html
Relevancy 33.54%

Hello Guys ,
I am looking for list of Public DNS server which like powerful one and I find a list like that :
(powerful means that I like to have DNS server which should be fast ,reliable ,high speed and always available)
but I want more, anybody has idea how can I find more?

I am looking forward to hearing from you guys

Thank you so much

Yohann

A:Public DNS server

i often use this tool
https://www.grc.com/dns/benchmark.htm
goto nameservers tab
and run
run benchmark

do that a few times and will give an idea of the DNS and speed

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/public-dns-server.1100715/
Relevancy 33.54%

after it was removed from 8
I managed to get it back into the Library but seems impossible for This PC.

It's a good, safe way to share files between multiple users on a PC .

A:add public folder to This PC in 8.1

PC,

Go to C:\Users\Public, then grab one of the folders and create a shortcut on your desktop by 'moving' it there with your mouse.

Is that what you were asking?

http://www.eightforums.com/general-support/39485-add-public-folder-pc-8-1-a.html
Relevancy 33.54%

Hello Guys ,I am looking for list of Public DNS server which like powerful one and I find a list like that :
(powerful means that I like to have DNS server which should be fast ,reliable ,high speed and always available)
but I want more, anybody has idea how can I find more? 
Thank you so much
Yohann

A:Public DNS server

Your ISP plan may have something to do with " fast ,reliable ,high speed "-

Free & Public DNS Server List (Updated May 2013)

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/497310/public-dns-server/
Relevancy 33.54%

First off a little background I am currently the sole Tech Support for a Smaller Rural Public Library System We have branches for the entire county and a total of about Computers in use totally throughout those locations We also have a very limited budget and almost no budget for non book purchases The problem is that with being the only tech support person I frequently need to troubleshoot problems at the different locations all on different networks with county supplied Hubs of which I Library VNC Public have no settings access to In addition to that we have developed a recent problem with respect to child protection laws that without parent approval kids cannot access myspace facebook etc and Public Library VNC some patrons viewing pornographic material and we need to have the ability to Public Library VNC log onto a computer to monitor activity if we suspect something is happening without their knowledge ie without popups like logmein So with this situation of varying IP addresses across multiple networks the need to log in secretly and as free as free can get what is the best option to make this happen Is there a VNC client that can handle this or server implementation or something else Also a not currently required feature would be the mass sending of updates or program installs to computers would be nice but not necessary nbsp

Relevancy 33.54%

Hey, I need to set up an old Win 95 machine as a public terminal displaying only a dos (kermit) shell.

It's usually attended, so I'm not that worried. But would be nice to set it up so that people can't close the window, etc.

Any ideas how to do this? Other warnings? -thanks, ed

A:Public terminal w/ Win 95

why on earth would you use w95?

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/public-terminal-w-win-95.42575/
Relevancy 33.54%

I have come accross a problem with a pc that sees every network as a Public Network, so it will not connect directly to a Broadband supplier. Is there any way to reset this without reinstalling the O/S?

A:Public Network

Quote: Originally Posted by SatSteve

I have come accross a problem with a pc that sees every network as a Public Network, so it will not connect directly to a Broadband supplier. Is there any way to reset this without reinstalling the O/S?

This should help you to fix this problem.
Windows 7 Network connections are stuck in Public mode

http://www.sevenforums.com/network-sharing/252820-public-network.html
Relevancy 33.54%

I do volunteer PC repair work with a local non-profit group that offers the use of several internet-connected PCs to residents of PC? Public-Use to the What's Best Protect Way a subsidized housing These PCs are located at community centers and available for use by any housing residents who What's the Best Way to Protect a Public-Use PC? wish to use them while the centers are open Most of the folks who use the PCs are interested in job searching while online but some just come in to surf In any case the PCs accumulate a good bit of adware and other junk that periodically has to be cleaned up Serious virus infections haven t been a big problem yet which I m guessing is because users are logged in with only limited account privileges Is there a free or very low-cost and preferably not-too-complex way to set these PCs up with virtual or sandbox sessions so that whatever junk has accumulated during the day gets wiped out when the PCs are shut down or when users log off Ideally this would also prevent virus damage to the PCs The PCs are all standalone running Windows XP Home Edition SP They are older donated recycled PCs so they don t have a lot of processing horsepower Typical setup is a P processor running around GHz with MB to GB of memory and disk capacity of to GB Any suggestions welcome Thanks Bob

A:What's the Best Way to Protect a Public-Use PC?

I have the same setup here at my small office and here's the setup that I have
I use Google Chrome as default browser and set it to "Clear Cache after exit"
For Antivirus protection I have Microsoft Security Essentials, Malwarebytes and SuperAnti Spyware. All of them consume little resources so they would be okay. MSE is free, but the others have free versions but I recommend purchasing the Pro edition since they are good.
For Firewall, I use Zone Alarm Free Firewall.

Basically, that should get your PC's protected.

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/424370/whats-the-best-way-to-protect-a-public-use-pc/
Relevancy 33.54%

I have a handful of folders that I have moved into Public Documents on my W7 machine. All but two of them can be seen from Shared Documents on my XP3 machine. I have compared Properties between folders that can be seen and those that can't, to no avail. I can't see any differences. Any thoughts on how I can get these to be seen or what I should look for?

A:Can't see all public folders

Quote: Originally Posted by Bearsden

I have a handful of folders that I have moved into Public Documents on my W7 machine. All but two of them can be seen from Shared Documents on my XP3 machine. I have compared Properties between folders that can be seen and those that can't, to no avail. I can't see any differences. Any thoughts on how I can get these to be seen or what I should look for?

This sounds like a permissions problem on the folders you can't see. Try adding "Everyone" to the list. The link below shows you how.

http://www.sevenforums.com/tutorials...ns.html?filter

http://www.sevenforums.com/network-sharing/108434-cant-see-all-public-folders.html
Relevancy 33.54%

I have Windows 7 home and have run into a bit of an issue. I have a program on my computer that runs through the internet. At my home, it connects find and I am able to run it without any issues, but I go to school and connect to their Wi-Fi and it stalls on the connecting prompt. Everything else I run and the internet works fine, I have re-installed the program and made sure it wasn't blocked from public access on firewall.

Any solutions/possibilites are greatly appreciated.

A:Public Wi-Fi Issue?

noob, welcome to sevenforums

This will have to do with the school's network. Likely they set it up this way so that students couldn't do various things that they might not want them doing. For example, you can block live radio streaming so as to save bandwidth, while still allowing youtube videos, etc.

Contact your network administrator or school official to find out more

http://www.sevenforums.com/network-sharing/248584-public-wi-fi-issue.html
Relevancy 33.54%

Hi I've just installed fresh copy of W7 enterprise and before it finished it asked me if my network is home, public or workplace.I've choose home since I am at my home but it says that in this matter my computer is visible.Did I do right or should I choose public since I browse a lot on the internet and I'm not sure how safe is this method (home settings).Great thanks.

A:home or public?

From here
Unidentified Networks - Set as Private or Public

Quote:
Choose Private network (Work) for small office or other workplace networks. Network discovery, which allows you to see other computers and devices on a network and allows other network users to see your computer, is on by default, but you can't create or join a homegroup.
All computers are peers; no computer has control over another computer.
Each computer has a set of user accounts. To log on to any computer in the workgroup, you must have an account on that computer.
There are typically no more than twenty computers.
A workgroup is not protected by a password.

All computers must be on the same local network or subnet.
Choose Public network for networks in public places (such as coffee shops or airports). This location is designed to keep your computer from being visible to other computers around you and to help protect your computer from any malicious software from the Internet. HomeGroup is not available on public networks, and network discovery is turned off. You should also choose this option if you're connected directly to the Internet without using a router, or if you have a mobile broadband connection.

http://www.sevenforums.com/network-sharing/160685-home-public.html
Relevancy 33.54%

I have been using PGP 8.1 and I am going to change over to PGP 9.0 beta.
Does anybody know if... I create a new keypair in PGP 9.0beta, and begin using this, will I have to create a NEW keypair when I get the licence for the FULL version of PGP 9.0 or can I continue to use the key I create in 9.0 beta?

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/pgp-public-key-changes-pgp-9-0-beta.350866/
Relevancy 33.54%

Just a question. Is the RTM the same as the Public Release? Do they have the same build numbers, or are they different?

Thanks.

A:RTM vs Public Release

They're exactly the same. Same build number, same everything. Obviously, there are different editions, but these are mostly controlled by the key you enter.

http://www.eightforums.com/general-support/10523-rtm-vs-public-release.html
Relevancy 33.54%

Hello Guys,
I am looking for list of Public DNS server which like powerful one and I find a list like that:
(Powerful means that I like to have DNS server which should be fast, reliable, high speed and always available)
But I want more, anybody has idea how can I find more?

Thank you so much

Yohann

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/public-dns-server.193245/
Relevancy 33.54%

Hello All.
I have a public folder that has appeared on my desktop.
I kid you not.
I had updates to install,I did so,re-started and hey presto there it is.
What now ??? I don't want it on my desktop but there are no options to move or delete it

A:Public folder ???

What is the folder called.

Try looking here for help
Folder Permissions[11]=File Folder Settings

http://www.vistax64.com/general-discussion/197437-public-folder.html
Relevancy 33.54%

I am trying to make a file available for public download.
I have transfered it using WS_FTP95 LE to a public_html folder.
I have a link to it on my webpage with the dir.http://public_html/(filename). When I click on the link it says "The page cannot be displayed"!

Relevancy 33.54%

This is mostly a question of curiosity:

When I type "what is my IP address" into Google, I get a response in the form:
2601:x:xxxx:xxx:xxxx:xxxx:xxxx:xxxx
This is the IP address that registers when I edit Wikipedia, among other things.

But when I use whatsmyip.org and other IP address finder sites, I get a response in the form:
73.xx.xx.xxx
Why do I have two public IP addresses?

A:Two Public IP Addresses?

In general "the internet" is still using IP version 4 addresses (73.xx.xx.xxx).

Some ISPs, companies, devices, etc., have begun to use IP version 6 addresses (2601:x:xxxx:xxx:xxxx:xxxx:xxxx:xxxx).

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/two-public-ip-addresses.1128004/
Relevancy 33.54%

Hello,

Here's my situation: I have 5 public IP Addresses, 24.149.111.143, 145, 147, 149, & 150. I'm behind a gateway (linux + pfSense) which is connected to the internet and to a switch which goes to 4 servers. I'm currently using SNAT and Port Forwarding to translate the private IP addresses (192.168.1.0/24) to the public ones and vice versa but I've recently come upon a circumstance where I need to actually statically set these computers to their public IP address. So instead of having the 192.168.1.0/24 subnet, i need a public subnet instead so I can set each computer to it's public IP. I know this is somehow possible but everytime I try it fails. I was just wondering how you guys would do this. What IP's would I set the gateway's interfaces to?

A:Solved: Public IPs on a LAN

Ask your ISP for a separate external IP address and use the block of 5 inside your network. If you explain to them what you need they will usually allow this. All they do is add a route on their RADIUS server to your internal addresses via the external address. You will need to disable NAT. We have lots of customers who use this exact setup and some for the exact same reason as you. They will probably charge you though.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/solved-public-ips-on-a-lan.758083/
Relevancy 33.54%

Hi there

Today's the day.

title says it all

any body yet

Cheers
jimbo

A:Oct 17 -- who's got it (W8.1) - Public release only

I'm waiting for someone to release an ISO image so I can do a clean install rather than the update. Microsoft is saying they have no plans to release one, but you know it will show up somewhere.

http://www.eightforums.com/general-support/33017-oct-17-whos-got-w8-1-public-release-only.html
Relevancy 33.54%

Can I toss the public folders out of my libraries? I really don't do the sharing thing. Just wondering ..

A:public folders?

Hello Kris,

Yes, you can remove them from being included in your libraries if you like.

Library - Remove a Included Folder

Hope this helps,
Shawn

http://www.sevenforums.com/general-discussion/251177-public-folders.html
Relevancy 33.54%

I'm trying to find a way for an architect to present his plans to a client in a real time shared environment. The architect would like his client to be able to make mark-ups on the presentation reflecting changes the client might like to see implemented. I've looked at a couple of public whiteboards but the formats were limited to jpg, bmp and such.
I don't know where this should be posted so I just stuck it where I thought it would have the best shot at being viewed the most. If it needs moving, so be it but I hope someone out there has some ideas about this.

Relevancy 33.54%

I was looking around for a way to see if I can change my IP address and found this site

http://www.publicproxyservers.com/page4.html

What is a public proxy server and how do they work? Are they legal?

I'm on high speed cable internet.

A:Using a public Proxy...

Do you have a Static or Dynamic IP Address? Also why do you want to change your IP for?

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/using-a-public-proxy.231385/
Relevancy 33.54%

119.2.60.91, 119.2.60.68
what type of IPs are these?? public or private IP??
please put little information on this..and what else can we tell by looking at above IP addresses?

Thank You

A:Public or private IP?

That is a public IP address - private address ranges are
10.0.0.0 ? 10.255.255.255
172.16.0.0 ? 172.31.255.255
192.168.0.0 ? 192.168.255.255
ZeroConf addresses start with 169.254

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/public-or-private-ip.112863/
Relevancy 33.54%

I am setting up computers for a local library They are to be access Public for public access Policy and good business dictates that we limit what is available through these machines Unfortunately some will trash the machines and others will attempt to do something nefarious While needing to place restrictions on Public access the usage we also need to provide the good guys with a useful visit to our library The last machines were Windows and we were able to solve the problem with rebooting a clean image each time and cleaning the disk Setting this up was a real challenge and required frequent maintenance While it solved the trashing problem it did not limit what people did while on line and that caused several unfortunate incidents Windows poses some real Public access challenges Has anyone here 'bouts configured Windows as a public system or know of any tips tricks scripts or documentation on what tools are available to do this Any help will be greatly appreciated Pro bono computer guy

A:Public access

You should be able to set up the Guest account for them to use, which will have limited access. Just turn UAC on high, and limit their access through permissions.

You could also use what my school uses, Deep Freeze. It keeps an image of the computer, and every time you restart, it reverts to that image.

~Lordbob

http://www.sevenforums.com/general-discussion/85103-public-access.html
Relevancy 33.54%

Hello,
My public library has their PCs setup so that when a guest logs into their public use PC, any files that are saved to the desktop or anywhere is deleted when the user logs off. How is this accomplished?

I believe that they are using Windows XP but I'm posting in the Windows 7 forum just in case if I'm wrong. I'm reposting there as well.

Thanks