Windows Support Forum

No file sharing after modem replacement

Q: No file sharing after modem replacement

I m a bit clueless when it comes to networking but here goes Up until a few weeks ago I modem No replacement after sharing file had a happy home network Was running my No file sharing after modem replacement trusty year old Motorola SurfBoard modem into a Linksys wireless router My tower and xbox were wired to the port on the back of the linksys while my laptop wii and ps were all wireless All had connectivity Tower and Laptop could talk to each other and could share files both ways between them then my modem bit the dust Enter the Motorola SBG Mom needed a router for her place and I needed a new modem so I killed birds with one stone and bought it Mom loves her new router and I well sorta like my Motorola Everything has connectivity but my laptop and tower will not talk to each other anymore xbox was also made wireless at this point When I m on my tower and I attempt to browse the quot Map Network Drive quot I can see both computers listed under my home network name When I attempt to click on the laptop to expand it to select the SharedDocs folder I get the following error message quot newlaptop is not accessible You might not have permission to use this network resource Contact the administrator of this server to find out if you have access permissions The network path was not found quot If I attempt the quot Map Network Drive quot from the laptop I get the same message with the exception of the error reflecting my tower name I hope it s something simple like the modem itself is blocking a port or something I ll mention what seems relevant from some other threads I ve tried to understand -both machines are running xp pro sp tower is my own build lappy is AlienWare Area -both machines have file sharing network sharing checked -encryption is set to WPA wireless card can handle it cable SBG gt wireless gt laptop xbox wii ps iphone Tower PC much thanks in advance for any assistance insight i may find nbsp

Relevancy 100%
Preferred Solution: No file sharing after modem replacement

I recommend downloading and running Reimage. It's a computer repair tool that has been proven to identify and fix many Windows problems with a high level of success.

I've used it in the past to identify and fix everything from blue screens (BSOD's), ActiveX errors, corrupt files and processes, dll/exe/sys errors, recover lost memory, Windows update problems, defragging, malware removal etc.

You can download it direct from this link http://downloadreimage.com/directdownload.php. (This link will automatically start a download of Reimage that you can save to your computer.)

A: No file sharing after modem replacement

see this thread, post #5

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/no-file-sharing-after-modem-replacement.154509/
Relevancy 55.47%

Can file sharing be temporarily disabled in windows without affecting any other services. I guess what I am looking for is an "on or off " - switch" without having to disable file sharing the tradional way (rebooting etc). Is there a cmd.com option? Windows service etc...

I would just really like to know how to turn it off....lets say for 5 minutes or 10 minutes at a time and easily resume all shared folders and services.

I really hope im just not overlooking the obvious!

Thanks!

A:A file sharing question for guru's only: Can file sharing be temporarly disabled?

net stop server disables file/print sharing
net start server enables file/print sharing

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/a-file-sharing-question-for-gurus-only-can-file-sharing-be-temporarly-disabled.368680/
Relevancy 52.89%

How do you replace an intergrated modem on a HP pavilion notebook? Thanks.

A:Laptop modem replacement

Hi Roho,

Intergrated means its part of the motherboard. So you would then have to replace the entire motherboard. Its cheaper and easier to just buy a PCMCIA modem and disable the intergrated one.

Paul V

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/laptop-modem-replacement.140664/
Relevancy 52.89%

A friend suspects their modem has been disabled by lightning. How can I determine this, recognize what the modem is, take it out, ground myself etc. milt.

A:[SOLVED] modem replacement

What exactly is happening when trying to access the modem?

The modem would be visible from the rear of the computer, it probably has two telephone connectors, but if it's older, it could have one.

Touch the metal case to ground yourself....unplug everything from the back of the computer prior to opening it.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/solved-modem-replacement.67015/
Relevancy 52.46%

I replaced a faulty Motorola SB5101 with a new SB5101. I use a Netgear router. Everything worked fine initially. After awhile our VPN connection stopped working, then started ...etc. Normal internet access works fine. Is the problem with the modem? the VPN? The computer? Comcast?

We use a IBM ThinPad laptop, XP Pro. This computer connects to the VPN successfully at all other wifi networks that we'v e used.

A:Intermittent VPN conection after modem replacement

Well, you can connect directly to the modem with one computer to test if the modem or Comcast are causing the issue, that will start to narrow it down. Hard to imagine this is the modem if you have normal Internet access, that modem is pretty dumb and doesn't care what kind of traffic goes through.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/intermittent-vpn-conection-after-modem-replacement.858419/
Relevancy 52.03%

In Vista, what happens when you enable password protected file sharing over normal file sharing?

I realize it requires credentials but what is changed on the system to require this?

If I enable just File Sharing (and not the password protected option) and have the share/NTFS permissions set for a user, connecting to the share fails as it never prompts for the username/password.

When you turn on password protected sharing you are prompted then for a username/password. What I want to know is what changes on the system to then prompt for credentials?

Same thing in reverse. If I set the 'require password for sharing' and have the group 'Everyone' in the share and NTFS permissions I am still prompted for credentials if I connect.

Thanks!
Todd

http://www.vistax64.com/network-sharing/202096-file-sharing-vs-password-protected-file-sharing.html
Relevancy 51.6%

Hi!
can anyone recommend a software to share my internet connection with a better control about who uses it, how much bandwidth they get, etc?
I was using WinGate till now, but while it worked great with my WinXP 32, it does not work with my Vista x64, cause it's neither 64bit compatible, nor is it vista compatible...
I need to be able to set up rules like 10.11.*.* is not allowed to use my connection but some chosen ips can, the person with the netbios name XXX only can use 10% off the available speed, etc... If anyone got any tips at all (except for "change to linux" which i hear quite often *g*) I would be really grateful

http://www.vistax64.com/software/110413-need-vista-x64-compatible-replacement-wingate-connection-sharing.html
Relevancy 51.6%

I need to buy an ARRIS TM502G and quite paying the ridiculous rental fee per month to Comcast. I just want to know for certain that the one I buy will work. So, the actual numbers on the modem I now rent say TM502G/CT-8. Does the "CT-8" mean I must find one with CT-8, or will it work since it's the same otherwise?
Thanks so much!!

Relevancy 51.6%

Hello Iv'e shared my public files folder on the home network and everything was OK One day all 'Advanced Settings' change isn't [SOLVED] working Sharing sharing and Can't file the computers lost the access to the folder When I got to the setting I saw that 'Public folder sharing' option was of I switch it back to 'On' Saving and nothing Getting back to this dialog box and sees it's still off screenshot Sometimes it's get back to 'On' byitself and still no access to [SOLVED] Can't change 'Advanced Sharing Settings' and file sharing isn't working the folder STRANGE BEHAVIOUR Once I suceeeded accessing and seeing only Videos and Music folders was shown for a moment and then lost access Iv'e checked that all the services are running and they are I'm tried to use System restore No luck Any ideas ADDITIONAL DETAILES OS Windows Network profile on thie computer quot Home network quot I'm using Norton Internet Security firewall eliminating the chance it's the problem I tried disabling it and then trying to access the folders - no luck All the computers connect through TP-LINK router this computer is wired another is wired to and the third is wireless Niether the wired and the wireless can access this computer

A:[SOLVED] Can't change 'Advanced Sharing Settings' and file sharing isn't working

anybody?

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f138/solved-cant-change-advanced-sharing-settings-and-file-sharing-isnt-working-618628.html
Relevancy 51.6%

Hi all,

I have a wireless network set up in my house and I want to share some of the folders on my computer so that other family members can listen to my music etc. When I click to turn Network Discovery on, and click apply, it just stays off, same goes for File Sharing.
When I try to turn public folder sharing on, after I click apply I get an error message saying "incorrect function". I have shared stuff on my work network so I'm not sure what's wrong here.

Thanks
MrsB

A:Can't turn Network Discovery, File Sharing and Public Folder Sharing on

Make sure your network is designated home or work; NOT public.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/cant-turn-network-discovery-file-sharing-and-public-folder-sharing-on.896468/
Relevancy 51.17%

I have a netbook home bit win and a PC bit pro win sharing the same wired hub I want them to be entirely 'un-networked' so that no communication between them is possible I have tried to turn off 'file and printer sharing' on my PC because and printer sharing sharing auto-enabling file and Network i assume i should but when i reboot i find Network sharing and auto-enabling file and printer sharing it turned back on I've seen this problem addressed in this and other forums but no solution that i could comprehend I also have a VMP media player running off the Network sharing and auto-enabling file and printer sharing hub and would like to access video files on my PC from that device but only if that does not compromise access between netbook and PC I should add - in case it's not obvious - that i really don't have much of a clue what i'm doing and am very confused with the myriad options Particularly the 'local' 'home or work' 'public' 'all' and media streaming options whatever they are I'd be grateful if someone could explain and or confirm what radio buttons to tick to achieve what i want to do Many thanks

http://www.sevenforums.com/network-sharing/387954-network-sharing-auto-enabling-file-printer-sharing.html
Relevancy 51.17%

I currently have the original Ralink RT5390R 802.11b/g/n 1x1 Wi-Fi Adapter installed in my Probook 4540s.What approved modem could I purchace to replace this one so that can access the bual band capabilities of my router?

A:802.11n dual band modem replacement for Ralink RT5390R 802.1...

Hi: You can get one of the wireless cards listed in the service manual for your notebook, and it must have the HP part number on it or it won't work.  See chapter 3, page 29. http://h20628.www2.hp.com/km-ext/kmcsdirect/emr_na-c03758231-1.pdf The only dual band card I see listed would be the Intel Centrino Advanced-N 6235   HP Part #670292-001 

http://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Notebook-Wireless-and-Networking/802-11n-dual-band-modem-replacement-for-Ralink-RT5390R-802/td-p/5750954
Relevancy 50.74%

Ive recently tried to share my secondary drive and noticed that there is no sharing tab in the properties dialogue.
After checking other drives, folders and files i've found that not one has the sharing tab visible.

I'm logged on as the computer administrator, have file and printer sharing installed and enabled, have unchecked "simple file sharing" and have looked all over the internet for a solution short of reinstalling windows.

I cannot understand why it has disappeared from all properties dialogue globally.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

A:File sharing problems. Sharing tab missing globally.

Forgot to mention, I am running Windows XP Pro with Service pack 3 installed and all windows updates are up to date.

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f10/file-sharing-problems-sharing-tab-missing-globally-365994.html
Relevancy 50.74%

Hi

I have a Belkin F5D7632-4 Modem with wireless G router which I am able to access the internet with my laptop absolutely fine.

But I would like to know how to share my printer on my desktop PC and files with my laptop using the router.

I am a beginner at routers and wireless networks and I had a bit of a game at setting it up a few months ago. It would be nice to share the printer between my desktop and laptop as well as other files.

Can anyone help me?

Thanks

Relevancy 50.74%

Hi all,

I have a client who would like 2 computers already connected to a router for a shared DSL connection to be able to share files. My problem is this: This is an office and the 2 computers are quite a distance from each other. I am trying to figure out the most cost effective and efficient way to link these two together for enabling file sharing? What kind of cables would I need and what are the steps I should take on each PC to set them up properly? They are both fairly new Dell computers with Windows XP. (I'm thinking Pro edition)

Please help me with this. Detailed steps and information would be much appreciated. My usual method of NIC cards and connecting cables just won't work here. I'm puzzled what the best way would be. Thank you so much in advance for your reply!

Relevancy 50.74%

BACKGROUND Had line issue and the tech came to visit New errors?? wifi Bell atapi 11 modem replacement, causes 1000 quot you've got a really old modem New Bell 1000 wifi modem replacement, causes atapi 11 errors?? quot and a little voice goes off 'yeah but works fine and if it's not broken ' Anyway it got replaced with this Bell wifi modem Looked fine but after a New Bell 1000 wifi modem replacement, causes atapi 11 errors?? while noticed odd hickups when opening multi browsing sessions Then when gaming omg long New Bell 1000 wifi modem replacement, causes atapi 11 errors?? loads Did pull full powerdown of the PC PC couldn't get past the Windows Win bit screen to the password Forever loading I go 'Oh I know this one' pull the power off the modem PC boots fine Games run fine Look at event manager when the modem is running tons and tons of ATAPI errors None of those without the modem PROBLEM tl dr Modem switched from old basic model to wifi version ISP supplied With it working lots and lots of ATAPI errors PC won't even boot Pull the power on the modem everything fine Once up and running plug it back in to get net access Can use the net so long as not too many sessions opening it's mostly ok Do to many get second system locks Don't know what's up hate these kinda generic errors thought ATAPI was more HD stuff No errors with it powered off Ideas Many thanks

A:New Bell 1000 wifi modem replacement, causes atapi 11 errors??

You were almost right about ATAPI. Anyway, I can hardly imagine how the modem could even be indirectly responsible for those errors. Copying one of those events and posting it would be a good place to start, but I have a feeling this will be one of those issues that doesn't get solved to any degree of intellectual satisfaction. I found another thread in which one user apparently solved a similar issue by re-connecting a USB device that was disconnected following a power loss. WTF?

http://www.sevenforums.com/hardware-devices/395767-new-bell-1000-wifi-modem-replacement-causes-atapi-11-errors.html
Relevancy 49.88%

Basically I can get everything to work in my home network just not all at once Let me explain My tower desktop is running XP sp My wireless laptop is running Vista Sp My is hard wired to router My PS is hard wired to router Printer connected to tower via USB I have had no problems setting up my PS and for online gaming and enabling access to my tower amp s HD media files I amp ve also always had internet on my laptop but I really NEED is my laptop to be able to access my tower Here is the crux of the situation When I turn on Windows Media Player amp s amp Media Sharing amp and ps laptop do all show up it shares the media files BUT it kills my laptop internet access Seems I can get internet back on laptop but never back any file sharing with tower and /Printer HELP & Sharing with Media Sharing ! File never access to my printer anymore Right now the status is wireless laptop DOES have internet and access to all files on Tower and Ps have internet access but not MEDIA access because I have to keep that off What the am I doing wrong Any help would be GREATLY appreciated nbsp

A:HELP with Media Sharing & File /Printer Sharing !

ever thought of using remote access to log onto the tower for internet use and using the ps3 or xbox as storage givin that they a hard wired in yes i have used vista as a media/server as well and know that you cant connect remotly to vista from xp but there a tools tomake this able

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/help-with-media-sharing-file-printer-sharing.702788/
Relevancy 49.88%

Hi I have been going crazy trying to get my PC to share files with a couple of laptops I am running Windows Bit and the laptops are running Windows bit and Windows XP I have enabled file sharing but The Windows Laptop keeps giving me an unknown error when trying to join a home group after I have typed in the password from my PC The XP Laptop doesn't even find my PC on the network Files sharing worked fine using my old router but I have just updated to a Virgin Media Super Hub and think it's either something to do with Anti-Virus Software blocking Sharing Homegroup and Sharing Problem File connections or the security setup of my Virgin Super Hub Jimmy PC is the laptop I am trying to share with as you can see from the picture Are the gaps in the connection of any significance to my issue I can share my internet connection with it with no issues but I can't share files Any help would be greatly appreciated Thanks Chris

A:File Sharing and Homegroup Sharing Problem

Hi chrisino, when you've read this link, post back.

http://www.sevenforums.com/network-sharing/157360-file-sharing-homegroup-sharing-problem.html
Relevancy 49.88%

I have an I Mac, l0.4.11 with a cable connection. I want to use a router to share the modem with an Acer laptop, windows 7.
Will this work, and will I be able to do it myself - I have been using a Mac for some time but am new to windows.

A:sharing modem with Mac and pc.

Hello-
Does the cable come into a modem, which you then feed your Imac by ethernet cable? If the answer is yes, than there is no reason why not. You can buy a wireless router, about $40 or so, and create your own home network. The router will have instructions for creating such a network.
badness

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/sharing-modem-with-mac-and-pc.910296/
Relevancy 49.88%

Any suggestions for software/hardware/setup for sharing modems? This would not be for Internet access, but for faxing, dialing, etc. Would like to have 1 or probably 2 lines and allow access to the modem(s) from all computers (approx 12) with some type of modem queue. I've searched around but have been finding mostly software for sharing internet connections. Did find <a href="http://www.dialout.net">dialout.net</a> which is interesting... and <a href="http://www.spartacom.com/products/modemshare.htm">ModemShare Millenium</a> but know of any others?

Thanks!!!

(would need to be compatible with dos/windows apps)

A:modem sharing

Try Winport redirector 2.0

...in my office we have 40+ users sharing 4 modems...

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/modem-sharing.48643/
Relevancy 49.88%

Hi,

I've got a small problem that is troubling me.

I want to set up a small fax server on Win2000 server but I haven't got any more phone jacks near the server. I do , however, have spare modems connected to workstations. So, I was wondering if there was a way to share a modem connection over the network. I've had a look at some third party modem sharing software but am unsure if this is what I need as it seems to deal with Internet connection sharing.

Ideally, I would like to share out a demand dial connection that I am able to manually (or automatically) use the modem to send faxes through (and receive also).

Any help would be grealy appreciated.

Thanks.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/modem-sharing.69720/
Relevancy 49.88%

I have win2k on 5 computers in my office. Is it possible to share my modem connection with the other computers.

A:Modem sharing

I know you can on 98 and above, but not sure in 95. Been so long since ive used it, check your dial-up connection options, and in advanced menu (if its there) check to see if there is an 'enable modem sharing' box there. Tick it. You will need to set the NIC IP addresses on the other machines to floating however as the other machines will not see the connection otherwise
Hope this helps

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/modem-sharing.125892/
Relevancy 49.88%

hi,

i want to share my modem (internal) from my pc to other users on my network, i want them to access internet dialling my modem. I have windows xp pro on my pc. when i try to add the service it is showing only one service SERVICE ADVERTISING PROTOCOL. I know how to add this service on windows 98 but not on xp pro.

help me pls.

A:modem sharing

Are the computers in the same room?Same building?The wizard in XP Pro will allow you to do this.You also run the XP wizard on your Win 98 as well.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/modem-sharing.150565/
Relevancy 49.88%

Hello Guys, i have a USB Phone MODEM which i use on a computer, my Sister just came in and She also uses the internet on my system which could be disturbing sometimes. Is there anyway we can share the internet connection from my system between my system and Hers, either with a cross over cable or the wireless adapter. Also, how can we share files with the crossover cable or the wireless, because anytime i connect the crossover cable, there seems to be no sigh on any connection. Thank You

A:USB MODEM Sharing

Take a look at this Microsoft ICS (Internet Connection Sharing tutorial.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/usb-modem-sharing.858960/
Relevancy 49.88%

This is probably a simple question I m looking for some direction I just installed DSL modem on my backup computer to PCs 2 with DSL sharing modem check it out It works fine with a USB connection to the PC I now want to share the DSL modem with sharing DSL modem with 2 PCs my two PCs though I don t use the backup much for online activity Both computers are running Windows SE They are networked through USB Ethernet adaptors and a -port hub I am using NETBEIU as the protocol as I have not been able to get TCP working The service tech at my ISP told me I could plug the DSL modem into the hub and it would work with both PCs I thought that IP sharing had to be installed like ICS Well I went and plugged the DSL modem Ethernet cable to the hub The Ethernet indicator on the modem did not light up as the instructions stated The instructions were for hookup to a single PC though Will this work if I just go through the process Or do I really need to install ICS nbsp

Relevancy 49.02%

I have a DSL internet connection at home.
My modem is Thomson Speedtouch 585(i).
I have disabled the WiFi for security reasons (some very smart computer guys stay in the neighborhood).
Out of the four ethernet points on the modem two are connected to my desktop and my laptop respectively. The third I have given it to my neighbour. The fourth is unused.

Someone at work suggested that sharing the internet connection with my neighbour may land me in soup one day, because if he does anything illegal via the internet, then that transaction will be traced back to me!!!
He suggested I install some Software to track the ip addresses passing through my modem.
Is it really needed to install such a software?
If yes, can you please suggest any software which tracks the ip addresses through my modem.

Relevancy 49.02%

Hi..

I've got 2 computers setup over a crossover cable. I'm trying to share the connection between the two. I've tried a few programs, and here is what I have come back with

- ICS works, but gives me horrid lag while gaming
- Winproxy is best, but costs $60 (which I don't have at the moment)
- Sygate Home Network has bugs
- Normal proxies work (like analogx proxy), but many programs do not support proxies

Right now I'm using ICS, because my winproxy trial ran out, so I'm at a loss. If anyone else knows a good program that is easy to configure please let me know, or if you know some other methods, that'd be great.

Relevancy 49.02%

Hello all,

I need to be able to run one modem off a network (server and 2 workstations) in order to use a banking program. Both workstations must be able to use this program but not at the same time. Currently they have windows nt 4 server and nt workstation 4 on the workstations, are these OS's capable of doing this and how, OR whats the most compatible program with nt to achieve this.

Any replies would be appreciated

Cheers

Relevancy 49.02%

Hi, I have searched high and low for a solution and tried many things, still no joy, so any help / advise would be really appreciated.

I have an orange anydata wireless broadband internet, and I am trying to share the internet connection with other hardware. The 'CDMA' internet connection works well from one pc, but, it doesn't show up under networks, so I can't seem to do anything with it. I am running a pc with XP and a laptop with VIsta, both have wireless. I have tried a wireless router, I can get the two machines networked no problem, but, local access only - i.e. no internet.

???

Relevancy 49.02%

My company would benefit from sharing a fax modem over the network and used winfax pro for a while although it rarely worked After getting new systems with XP Home SP the program quit working all together After looking through some other forums I found that everyone had this problem the fax network Sharing modem over a with winfax It was no surprise to me Sharing a fax modem over the network then when Symentec quit making winfax So we are looking for another Sharing a fax modem over the network solution I tried a few other programs from independent programers but that all had similar issues with Sp one even said it would only work with winfax installed I then found a hardware solution at blackbox but it would cost us a few thousand dollars to implement I would greatly appreciate it if anyone could tell me of a way Sharing a fax modem over the network to make this happen All computers are Dell XP Home SP systems and only one has an internal modem They are already networked I just need a way to fax through them

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f10/sharing-a-fax-modem-over-the-network-193651.html
Relevancy 49.02%

two systems running 2K pro one with Hsp56 modem v92.
Both see each other fine thru hub.
Windows ICS is enabled
Physical system accessing Internet fine.
Getting nowhere with networked system.
Any help would be appreciated.
cable and DSL not currently an option.

Relevancy 49.02%

My goal is to provide internet access for two home PCs one is XP and the other W professional through a Sprint DSL modem I am trying to use a dumb hub Linksys sharing DSL connections modem EZXS hub The XP pc has dual nics The cabels are both straight thru The nic to the hub is configured for The W is configured the same I am trying to use ICS in XP to accomplish this The instructions I found on the net state that I must have DSL modem sharing connections NetBeui installed to use this configuration I guess NetBeui will allow for the same IP I don t really know for sure I downloaded the Netbeui files and put them in the drivers and inf folders When I go to install netbeui by Properties General Install Protocol Netbeui does not show up on the XP system I ensured the files are not read only and granted full permissions The hub indicates DSL modem sharing connections quot full flash Collisions quot Any ideas on how I can get Netbeui installed Also is there another method I could use to accomplish the same thing without netbeui Any suggestions and help is greatly appreciated Thanks Zeek nbsp

Relevancy 49.02%

A friend came over as she didn't have much security and I helped her load several security programs. She used my modem and the only way we could get her connected was by entering her MAC address into my modem. Both malwarebytes and spybot found problems. I did run both on my computer and no problem and will run an online scan - but can I get infected just by letting her use my modem with her MAC address?

Thank you.

A:can I get infected sharing my modem

can I get infected just by letting her use my modem with her MAC address?
I must assume that you needed to change it back to your IP / Modem address, so this should negate the infections.
However you can be infected via Modems - Update your Antivirus and Antimalware programs and Re-scan just to be sure.

Are you having problems at all, or do you think that your system is now clean -

Thank You -

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/474782/can-i-get-infected-sharing-my-modem/
Relevancy 48.59%

i am buying another computer and naturally i would like to set up internet on it , i thought about buying a switch and use that to share my cable modem between the 2 computers,will that work okay? i never used a switch before so wanna make sure
(btw my isp allows upto 3 ip's so i know for a fact there wouldnt be an issue there) , i know i could get a router however its more expensive and honestly i dont need the extra features,please help

A:sharing cable modem via switch,possible?

If you actually get three public IP addresses, then a switch will allow you to share the Internet. Note that if they're really public IP addresses, it's very likely that you will NOT be able to share files/printers between the machine. I know that when Comcast issues multiple public IP addresses, they're routinely not in the same subnet, so there will be no communication between the machines.

Truthfully, since a router is only about $20-30 if you do any shopping, there is no reason on this planet that anyone that can afford to have three computers can't afford the extra $10 or so to get a router and solve the problem the right way, rather than the switch.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/sharing-cable-modem-via-switch-possible.693924/
Relevancy 48.59%

I have a cable modem from Media One and I would like to share the Internet connection using NT 4, what is the easy and cheap way to do this one?

A:Sharing Cable Modem (Internet) with NT 4.0

Buy a cheap router. Here's 53 for under $30: http://www.pricegrabber.com/search_...d=router&sortby=&ut=cefddbce835f2374&x=43&y=5

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/sharing-cable-modem-internet-with-nt-4-0.42767/
Relevancy 48.59%

Hey Guys,

I have problem that when i try to share usb modem dialup internet connection in windows 7 it is not accessable to other pc please help me how can i share the internet while using windows 7 professional

A:Usb Modem Internet Sharing Problem

You need to enable the connection for all users, only then it becomes accessable. Under dialup connection properties, go to Options and tick boxes under Dialing Options, so when connection is made, you will get the dialog box (you can untick everything later, to not see that box more, it's important just for first connect). Now, there appear an option at connect to tick the box that sais something like, allow all users use this connection (don't remember exactly but think you will see it). Dial the connection, then you can again under connetion options untick all boxes. Disconnect and then re-connect again. Now you should be able to connect from other PC-s. Don't kow why this all is made so complicated, I spent all day figuring it out :S

http://www.sevenforums.com/network-sharing/102556-usb-modem-internet-sharing-problem.html
Relevancy 48.59%

Hiya guys I have XP SP PCs set up USR modem/router 9108 BB sharing AOL & in a network through a USR modem router desktop wired laptop wireless Both PCs can see USR 9108 modem/router & AOL BB sharing each USR 9108 modem/router & AOL BB sharing other can share files print to a printer attached to the desktop can access AOL I have one last thing I need USR 9108 modem/router & AOL BB sharing to sort out - I can t access AOL on both PCs at once I am on AOL BB Gold so I should be able to access two screennames at once I can access with one PC and when I try to open another screenname with the other PC it gets stuck on the Initializing DSL modem bit Would the problem be AOL or the router set up Is there anything that could affect opening screennames at once I am new to networking and it is starting to do my head in Any suggestions I would not mind being able to access just one AOL screenname and sharing that between the two PCs using another browser on the second PC When setting up the network I did not tick the share this internet connection with the computers on the network because I want to be able to use the laptop downstairs without having to have the desktop on upstairs The router should share the internet connection for me should it not Thank you for your help Arabella nbsp

A:USR 9108 modem/router & AOL BB sharing

It has been ages and I still haven't got any replies. Is there anybody that can help please? I am starting to regret trying to get USR and AOL to work together.....
Arabella :-(

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/usr-9108-modem-router-aol-bb-sharing.457595/
Relevancy 48.59%

Can you Share a modem in W2K/Pro.
If so How?
Thanks, Rick

A:{Advice Offered} - MODEM/Sharing

Greetings

Yes. Go to the properties of your modem connection, and click on the Sharing tab.

I have not tested it so far, but my dad is planning to take his spare work PC home for my mom to use, and he is going to setup a small home network and will be using Win2K to share the modem, I will tell you how it goes.

If it does not go smoothly, you can always install a third-party modem sharing software, like aVirt Connection Suite.

Cheers

------------------
Reuel Miller
Windows NT Moderator (yes, that does make me biased )

[email protected]

Every morning is the dawn of a new error...

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/advice-offered-modem-sharing.28566/
Relevancy 48.59%

Hi I have windows vista Ultimate. My phone is acting as a modem on my PC for internet access. I want to share this internet connection through a wireless LAN conenction to another PC so they can also acces the internet through the same phone, however for some reason it. We have the connection between the 2 computers working fine, however for some reason the second computer cannot access the internet, even though we have enabled Internet Connection Sharing.
Also, we cannot enable the internet connection sharing settings under the properties of the Wireless connection and the Internet Connection at the same time.
Can anyone help us with this problem?

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/modem-sharing-through-wireless-vista.600272/
Relevancy 48.59%

Hi all,

Any idea how to write Batch File .bat to copy file from File Sharing & FTP Hosting to local directory.

Current the File Sharing & FTP Hosting is SMARTFILE.

I don't want to use WINSCP as the connector.

Thanks

A:Batch File .bat to copy file from File Sharing & FTP Hosting

Hi Chacha,

Give this batch file a try. All text in red, you should adjust before running.

Code:
@echo off
(
echo.Username
echo.Password
echo.lcd C:\Some\local\directory
echo.cd /Some/server/path
echo.binary
echo.get Some_file_to_download.txt
echo.bye
) > "%TEMP%\_%~n0.ftp"
ftp -s:"%TEMP%\_%~n0.ftp" "12.34.56.78"
del "%TEMP%\_%~n0.ftp"

http://www.sevenforums.com/general-discussion/361588-batch-file-bat-copy-file-file-sharing-ftp-hosting.html
Relevancy 48.16%

Hey Y`aLL ! Is it a problem to have a individual IRQ assigned to two functions? Namely Videocard+ Modem. Can i assign two different IRQ`s to seperate videocard+modem. One IRQ for vidcard, One IRQ for Modem ? I`m pasting something i read. Any hints or help would be great Dean "Posted by:Jone Now i know why the modem worked fine after i move it to another pci slot, i built a new pc and installed this modem on it, then all the problems started again, when i was checking the system settings i noticed that the modem was sharing the irq with the video card, so i moved it to a pci slot which was not sharing the irq with any other device then it got stable again."

Relevancy 48.16%

I have 3 PCs and I'm having a cable modem installed and would like all the PCs to share the internet connection. I was just wondering if anyone knows of shareware modem sharing software or can recommend an off the shelf software that can share the modem with firewall protection. I just wanted to check my options,pricing, and to see what others have used.

A:{Advice Offered} - Cable modem sharing

You can do a search in this forum to find a lot of related posts. But, there are several programs out there for that. A popular one is www.wingate.net , though personally I use www.nat32.com to connect my computers to a single cable modem.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/advice-offered-cable-modem-sharing.28403/
Relevancy 48.16%

Hi all tricky question as i haven t really had much xpaireance with networking currently the machines our house are just for gaming modem/router sharing) vs. adsl lan home (net amp communicate on lan via a port gig a switch adsl modem/router vs. home lan (net sharing) no net just yet in a day or two i am to recieve an adsl router modem so i can do a bitsa surfing downloading play games online etc the mo i only have network card in my machine so when this thing arrives that port will be taken up by the modem amp i shant be able to be connected adsl modem/router vs. home lan (net sharing) to the home lan switch the modem router - dsl-g t - has not only the port for connecting my machine to it adsl port but also x lan ports heres my tricky ugly question i want to be able to have the modem connected to my machine obviously but can i also run a cable off of the lan ports on the modem back to the household lan switch so that i can still play games within the house if that can be done easy enough will that mean that the internet connection comming in via the modem will be also be distributed via the household lan to the other computers amp if it will be distributed in such a fashon can it be controled to only of the computers some who has agreed to go ies on cost by config within the modem i don t acutally have the modem just yet amp there mayb a manual that shows basic settings for it but i doubt i would have such detailed explainations for scenario s within it so im hoping some has encountered such things previously amp could share their wisdom i have also mailed this question to the maker of the modem - dlink - in the hope that they might have a straight forward answer hope i worded that ok so u s can comprehend it muchly tankx monkey nbsp

A:adsl modem/router vs. home lan (net sharing)

If you want all the machines to have internet access then you should just run your modem/router LAN uplink to your existing 5p switch. Make sure all your machines, and the router are on the same subnet.

It would be:

modem/router
|
|
Switch
| | | |
| | | |
machines

Does this help?

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/adsl-modem-router-vs-home-lan-net-sharing.23924/
Relevancy 48.16%

Hi Guys,

I'm using PPPsharlite to share modem internet
access between two Win95 computers on a LAN.
HTTP is the only access provided to the second
computer.

I have to grant PPPsharlite server status in ZA,
so does the second computer have a straight
pipeline to the internet (no ZA protection)?

I'm also wondering if ZA will work properly on
the second computer thru a utility like PPPsharlite.

Any experience (or ideas) on a setup like this?

Thanks, Mac

Relevancy 48.16%

Hi Folks After too many hours of reading and trying 8.1 Windows Modem - Internet 3G Connection - USB Sharing various things It appears that Internet Connection Sharing ICS from USB G Modems has been broken in Windows On my Desktop PC which uses Windows Server I am Windows 8.1 - Internet Connection Sharing - USB 3G Modem able to share a Huawei E B Windows 8.1 - Internet Connection Sharing - USB 3G Modem USB Windows 8.1 - Internet Connection Sharing - USB 3G Modem G Modem to of the Ethernet ports to which is connected a Netgear Router with LAN ports and a Wireless Antenna which broadcasts a signal that can be used by my smartphone On my recently acquired Lenovo B Laptop I use the same SIM chip in a Huawei E USB G Modem but have not been able to share the connection with the Ethernet port I get the dreaded Unidentified Network and Limited connection statuses I tried the older modem but it doesn't appear to be compatible and I couldn't find any drivers for it for Windows I also tried sharing to an Ad Hoc Connection as the Laptop also has a Wireless NIC Network Interface Card The phone can see the signal broadcast by the Wireless NIC but is not able to communicate with the Internet I have tested the E USB modem with the Netgear router with a friend's Dell Inspiron that has Windows Vista installed and I was able to establish the sharing of the Internet Connection to the Router and hence could also access the Internet with the smartphone As soon as I am able I will perform the same test on the Laptop of another friend which has Windows installed Given that adding an Ad Hoc connection was removed from the GUI interface of Windows I am wondering if Microsoft have made a huge quot faux pas quot in overlooking the need for or eliminating without consultation this functionality which has worked fine in previous versions of the Operating System The following web page may also be related to this topic About the Wireless Ad Hoc API Windows However maybe there is a possibility that this problem is being caused by the modems needing updated firmware or quot Connection Management Software quot provided by the Internet Service Provider to be fully compatible with API changes in Windows Can anybody shed some light on this possibility So what alternative solutions are there It appears that Connectify allows the sharing of an Internet service between a USB G Modem and an Ethernet port If so what API would they be using to achieve this and could the same thing be achieved through the Command Prompt with Administrator Privileges using quot netsh quot Network Shell commands Does anyone know if Virtual Router Manager is compatible with Windows and is a viable solution to this problem Instead of an Ad Hoc connection being created using the wireless NIC can a secure Access Point be created to which the Modems connection could be shared Can quot netsh quot commands be used to achieve this I have also seen articles about creating an Access Point but they are using the same quot netsh quot commands that I have seen mentioned for the creation of an Ad Hoc Network connection Therefore can someone point me to a reliable and accurate resource for the creation of an Access Point using quot netsh quot commands If there is no reliable convenient software solution to this problem are there hardware related solutions Are there Routers with Wireless Output Antennas that can receive an inbound connection from a USB G Modem and then pass that connection to the PC Laptop via the Ethernet port of the PC Laptop as well as re-broadcast the signal via the output antenna If so how do you manage activating the connection to the service provider of the USB Modem Can the connection software that was installed when the USB Modem was connected to a USB port of the PC Laptop recognise that it is connected to the external router Even if it could maybe the sharing of a connection would again be thwarted due to changes in the APIs of Windows Thanks Michael

A:Windows 8.1 - Internet Connection Sharing - USB 3G Modem

Update

Following up on the idea that maybe the Firmware or Connection Manager software needed updating, I did some more searching in this regard. I didn't find any recently listed drivers for my modem but on searching for a Windows 8.1 version of Mobile Partner, Huawei's Connection Manager, I discovered the following page.

Mobile Partner Version 23.009.09.02.910 Released | HuaweiNews

This provided a later version than the customised version provided by my ISP. With mention of WiFi Direct on the above page, I was cautiously hopeful that I may have found the solution I was looking for.

So, I installed the latest version and configured it the same as that which was provided by my ISP and BINGO.

I was able to share the connection with my Ethernet port and hence the smartphone could access the Internet via the wireless signal from the router.

I still need to test whether I can also share the connection to the Wireless NIC. I'll report back soon.

http://www.eightforums.com/network-sharing/45002-windows-8-1-internet-connection-sharing-usb-3g-modem.html
Relevancy 48.16%

Hello,

I have D-Link DVA-G3670B Wireless Router But without the usb Port, a PC running Windows 7 Ultimate, a usb modem that I use to connect to the internet and one Ethernet Cable.

My question is:
How can i share the internet from the usb modem to the wireless router so I can connect my other WiFi devices to the internet?
The router is Factory settings.

Can i get a step by step instruction please?

Relevancy 48.16%

hi i have a zte modem and a belkin g wireless router i would wish to share the modems internet with the router so as to access internet wirelessly i have a desktop running on windows bit internet Solved: sharing modem a usb with a router attached is my ipconfig Microsoft Windows Version Copyright c Microsoft Corporation All rights reserved C Users gt ipconfig all Windows IP Configuration Host Name -PC Primary Dns Suffix Node Type Hybrid IP Routing Enabled No WINS Proxy Enabled No DNS Suffix Search List Belkin PPP adapter Connect Connection-specific DNS Suffix Description Connect Physical Address DHCP Enabled No Autoconfiguration Enabled Yes IPv Address Preferred Subnet Mask Default Gateway DNS Servers Primary WINS Server Secondary WINS Server NetBIOS over Tcpip Disabled Ethernet adapter Local Area Connection Connection-specific DNS Suffix Belkin Description Realtek RTL E RTL E Family PCI-E Fa st Solved: sharing a usb modem internet with a router Ethernet NIC NDIS Physical Address - - -A - F- DHCP Enabled Yes Autoconfiguration Enabled Yes Link-local IPv Address fe dd e e ddd edd Preferred IPv Address Preferred Subnet Mask Lease Obtained September Lease Expires October Default Gateway DHCPv IAID DHCPv Client DUID - - - - - B-E -C - - - -A - F- DNS Servers NetBIOS over Tcpip Enabled Tunnel adapter isatap FF E - ABC- D -B - E Media State Media disconnected Connection-specific DNS Suffix Description Microsoft ISATAP Adapter Physical Address - - - - - - -E DHCP Enabled No Autoconfiguration Enabled Yes Tunnel adapter isatap CE - C D- A - C -FEDE BE D Media State Media disconnected Connection-specific DNS Suffix Description Microsoft ISATAP Adapter Physical Address - - - - - - -E DHCP Enabled No Autoconfiguration Enabled Yes Tunnel adapter Teredo Tunneling Pseudo-Interface Media State Media disconnected Connection-specific DNS Suffix Description Teredo Tunneling Pseudo-Interface Physical Address - - - - - - -E DHCP Enabled No Autoconfiguration Enabled Yes C Users MUMO gt thanks in advance nbsp

Relevancy 48.16%

Hi,
I have a just dumped my landline broadband for 3g wireless.
I have:
a e169 usb stick
a siemens speedstream 6520 router (one pc)
a wifly-city wifi usb adapoter. (other pc)
laptop (built in wifi)
i can file/printer share no worries but can't share the internet connection. I've tried everything I can think of!

I'm using:
mobile partner dashboard 16.001.06.01.500
xp 32bit on all systems

tried enabling share this internet connection. tried setting up ad-hoc. Tried manual ip settings.

has anyone succesfully done this before?

thanks in advance

Relevancy 48.16%

Hey,

I want to set up a wireless home network where I can share my internet connection, printer, and also share files among computers.
For the past year, I have been using a dlink wireless router to share my dsl connection. The set-up is currently as follows: modem to router and from the router one pc is connected with wires and three laptops are connected wirelessly. This has been fine to share the internet, but I don't know how to share the printer connected to the pc.
I would really appreciate anyones help.

Thanks

A:printer sharing/file sharing

You didn't say what operating system(s) you use, so I guess I get to choose.

Run the Network Setup wizard (found in Control Panel of XP). Tell it each of your computers connects to the internet via "residential gateway" and that you want to enable file and printer sharing. Create a disk at the end only if you have a Windows PC other than XP or 2k Pro or Vista.

Windows XP firewall (if SP2) will be properly configured by the wizard. You must uninstall or properly configure any 3rd party firewalls on each machine. Unique computer names and same workgroup, of course.

The Shared Documents folder is automatically shared. Any other folders (or drives) or printers you want to share, just right click on them and sharing ... . When sharing a printer, accept the offer to load other drivers if your other PCs have different Operating System(s).

When you first go into My Network Places there will be nothing there. The first time you click on 'View Workgroup computers' will probably result in great disappointment. It takes awhile (20 minutes or so) before all the computers in the workgroup get up-to-date and accurate lists of the other computers. Often you can speed up this process via Search for other computers.

When computers show up in My Network Places, double click on one to see its shares. If that includes a printer, you can right click on the printer to connect to it.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/printer-sharing-file-sharing.602819/
Relevancy 47.73%

Recently I have set up 2 PCs trying to connect to internet sharing a single broadband, using Win98SE's ICS.

After setting up host PC and client PC, I could not get the client PC to go to the internet.

I suspect it is the DSL Modem/Bridge which does not support NAT, hence does not allow internet connection sharing. I checked my DSL modem, it is a Prolink Hurricane 9000/B, the manual says it is in Bridge mode, no router mode.

The funny thing is I am able to connect to Internet using this DSL modem, but my client PC can't.

Pls help. In dire straits. Any other solution? Such as using a 5 port switch?

Rgds
Simon

A:DSL Modem/Bridge does not support Internet Connection Sharing?

If you are using Windows ICS then your modem doesn't have to support anything. It is the computer you are running ICS on that does the routing.

What exactly did you do trying to get the connection sharing going?

You will save yourself from a lot of headaches by getting a router. Either a small box from a store or any old junk PC with some firewall on it.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/dsl-modem-bridge-does-not-support-internet-connection-sharing.29229/
Relevancy 47.73%

Hi. Is it possible to create a network between two laptops and share the internet signal from a 3g usb mobile broadband connection. I've been trying to accomplish this with a TP-Link TL-WR641G router with no success. I've trawled several forums but can't really find a definitive answer. Any help would be much appreciated.

Relevancy 46.87%

We have three 64 bit Window 7 machines on an Ethernet wireless/wired router (ASUS WL-520GC). Worked great? one of the three computers hosts a USB printer and shares with no problems (via a HomeGroup).

We had a broadband power line modem on the same Ethernet network connection and all three computers had sharing of the WAN internet? then we lost our internet connection capability when our supplier went bust!

We are now using a Verizon Wireless USB 720 broadband modem on the same computer that hosts the printer. That computer has internet connection and works fine. We cannot get the remaining two computers to see the internet.

Bridging the Verizon USB ?Home? network and the Ethernet ?Public? network doesn?t seem to work because we can?t set the local area network to ?Home.?

Any suggestions?

A:Internet sharing a Verizon Wireless USB modem and an Ethernet network

If I was going to use a Verizon USB modem on a network, I would use a router that you plug the modem into. Check out http://www.cradlepoint.com/ or do a Google search. I remember seeing routers for USB modems (cell service) for as low as $35, but most users recommend Cradlepoint routers.

If you are still on the Verizon 30 trial, you should check out http://www.millenicom.com/, Millenicom has no contract and much higher usage caps, even unlimited using Verizon and Sprint service.

http://www.sevenforums.com/network-sharing/219543-internet-sharing-verizon-wireless-usb-modem-ethernet-network.html
Relevancy 46.87%

ok right to it: I have a 3g usb modem that i use to connect to the internet. That connection is shared to my wlan connection that connects to my ddwrt router which is used for home networking and internet sharing.. It would look something like this:

INTERNET <3G> PC <WiFi> ROUTER <WiFi> OTHER DEVICES

My problem is that i have trouble accessing the admin area of my router at 192.168.1.1 when my 3g internet is connected or accesing the internet when i can access the admin area ( depending which connection is on top of the list in advanced network settings -> adapter and bindings). What do you think would be the easiest way to solve this and to setup 3g internet sharing most efficiently?

My PC is the one in specs running windows 8 pro, the usb 3g modem is huawei e353, router gigaset sx763 running ddwrt.

A:Configuring 3G USB Modem and router for internet sharing and home networking.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/configuring-3g-usb-modem-and-router-for-internet-sharing-and-home-networking.1085537/
Relevancy 46.44%

WMC recording/playback and media/file sharing seems to work fine until I go to copy a file between drives, where one of those drives is currently using some of its i/o bandwidth to do media. The copy hogs the i/o bandwidth, doing nasty things to the real-time needs.

How do I permanently tell Win7 x64 to do all [explorer] copies at a lower CPU and i/o (explorer.exe & system) priority and/or elevate WMC CPU & i/o (ehshell.exe?) and file/media sharing priorities a bit?

The PC is up to date on patches/drivers and should be able to prioritize obvious applications?

A:Problem with file copying adversely affecting media/file sharing & WMC

Right click on the process in Task Manager. There you can set the priority.

http://www.sevenforums.com/performance-maintenance/163713-problem-file-copying-adversely-affecting-media-file-sharing-wmc.html
Relevancy 46.44%

Hello so I have this situation regarding my windows machine and how it connects to my Windows Server machine using sharing Local for bandwidth transfer. file Internet file I have my Windows server machine directly connected to the internet on one ethernet port and the other is on a private network nbsp My windows Machine is also on this private network and whenever I attempt to take files from my Windows server machine using its Local ip address it begins a connection from the Windows Local file sharing using Internet bandwidth for file transfer. Server machines WAN IP to the local even though the established connection happened via file sharing by direct network ip address This connection uses up all Local file sharing using Internet bandwidth for file transfer. the throughput from my router causing every machine on the network to experience lag online I also have Windows machines Local file sharing using Internet bandwidth for file transfer. and this issue does not occur when taking files from the server machine as it does it through LAN I don't understand how the Windows machine can even know my Server machines IP address or why its deciding to do these file transfers over the internet rather then LAN nbsp Here's an example since its a very difficult issue to explain I have a Private network this network reaches the internet from WAN nbsp In this network I have machines Windows and Windows server I have a Windows Server Machine which reaches the internet directly from WAN This machine has another nic located on the private network as stated above When I use explorer on the windows and use netstat -s it shows a connection - gt on port When I take a file and copy it to my desktop and use Netstat -s it shows connections - gt on port and - gt on Port This connection does not happen in Windows Hopefully this makes it clearer Thanks Martin

https://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/6c145c6a-5181-477d-a1f5-c751162d6413/local-file-sharing-using-internet-bandwidth-for-file-transfer?forum=w8itpronetworking
Relevancy 46.01%

Like to know where I can get a replacement file "edit32.exe"
Norton found mine to be infected with "Backdoor.Litmus.203" and can not fix it! Can I delete it and install a new one and if so where would I find it? Or what happens if I let norton quaratine it?
I have windowsxp which came with pc so do not have install cd

A:Replacement file

edit32.exe is the trojan and needs to be removed not replaced.

"End Task" edit32.exe in Task Manager and delete edit32.exe.

If no joy post a HijackThis log.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/replacement-file.156273/
Relevancy 46.01%

Hi all I'll try and keep this short. I have 3 computers, XBOX 360 and a Wii. Everything access the net just fine. The 2 desktop machines wireless XP SP 2 and hard wired Vista with a USB printer attatched to it. These 2 can see each other, exchange files and print just fine. They both can see the wireless laptop with XP SP 2 also but neither of them can access files on it!!. Here is the kicker....the laptop can see both the other computers and even access files from both!! So why can't the other 2 access the laptop? Also the XBOX can access both desktops but not the laptop but it too can see the laptop!!!! I been fooling with this for about 4 hours now and figured I better ask for help......HELP!!!!

Relevancy 46.01%

I am trying to set up file sharing between my two pcs and am unable to access my laptop files from my desktop.

The problem I believe is that on the ?change sharing options for different network profiles? page (Control Panel>Network sharing)
I cannot turn on the Network discovery and File saring options.
I click on the two enabling buttons for Turn on File Discovery
and Turn on File & printer sharing , I then find the save changes tab greyed out

Any help with this frustrating problem greatly appreciated!

A:cannot turn on File Discovery and File and Print Sharing

Quote: Originally Posted by provlima

I am trying to set up file sharing between my two pcs and am unable to access my laptop files from my desktop.

The problem I believe is that on the ?change sharing options for different network profiles? page (Control Panel>Network sharing)
I cannot turn on the Network discovery and File saring options.
I click on the two enabling buttons for Turn on File Discovery
and Turn on File & printer sharing , I then find the save changes tab greyed out

Any help with this frustrating problem greatly appreciated!

Hope this helps.
Can&#39;t turn on my network discovery and file and printing sharing. - Microsoft Answers

http://www.sevenforums.com/network-sharing/231151-cannot-turn-file-discovery-file-print-sharing.html
Relevancy 45.58%

Is there anyway to replace my program files folder, program files (86x) and program data files on my hard drive with ones from a different patition? when i try it says administrator permission required on a lot of the overwrite files and will not let me, even though I am the administrator.

A:Program file replacement

Simply copying or moving installed program files from one drive to another is a bad idea. You should think in terms of re-installing the applications.

http://www.sevenforums.com/general-discussion/181106-program-file-replacement.html
Relevancy 45.58%

i really don't like it.
it can't even copy files right.
i wanted to copy a 300mb folder & after 20minutes i checked it & the destenation was 5Gb!

i tried freecommander & classic shell but they are just a graphical thing. they still use the original win7 file explorer (the original copy window appears).

A:any replacement for the file explorer of 7?

15 Windows Explorer Alternatives Compared and Reviewed

http://www.sevenforums.com/software/102163-any-replacement-file-explorer-7-a.html
Relevancy 45.58%

I fooled around with cache.db file located in
C:/Program Files(x86) --> Common Files --> Adobe --> Adobe PCD --> Cache

It looks like I changed the text when I opened it with notepad and accidentlly saved it. And now I can't use any of my Adobe products.

E.G.
When I try to open my Adobe Acrobat Reader this is the message that pops up:

After that the program shuts down.
I also tried reinstalling the program but there is no difference.

So, is there any way to download this file?

Thank you!

A:cache.db file replacement? Help!

Hello,

Try to use System Restore to restore your PC to an earlier state (before you messed with "cache.db").

How to Do a System Restore in Windows 7

http://www.sevenforums.com/software/105688-cache-db-file-replacement-help.html
Relevancy 45.58%

Hello,

If I placed this in the wrong category please forgive me.

My questions are concerning confirming file replacement. I have a Hewlett Packard. My husband has an emachine. I've noticed on his computer when you are moving a picture from one folder to another it gives you a confirm file replacement option.

His actually shows you the picture itself which really comes in handy when making the choice to replace one file with another. On my Hp it simply shows you an icon. I would like to be able to view what file is being replaced.

We both have IE 6.0 Xp home edition with Sp2 ( if this helps )

Is this possible? If its not I will upload examples of what I am trying to accomplish to further help someone in assisting me with this problem.

I would be grateful to suggestions on how to accomplish this task.

Thank you

Peaches

Relevancy 45.58%

I have a PC running XP pro with SP2 and when I try and save a file from C: or D: drive to a network drive it comes up with the Confirm file Replacement window.

The problem with this is the file it wants to replace is the folder it is being saved into. The file and the folder have different file/folder names

If you need anymore info let me know

Saving files to the local HDD (C: & D:) are file.
Folder size limit is set to 5GB and only 11MB has been used and the user logged in has admin rights.
Also this happens under different logins so it is something to do with the PC, now a re-image will fix it but I don't want to use it as a first resort if I can find out what is causing this, if I can find out

A:Confirm file replacement

here is a pic of what is coming up
As you can see the original is the folder and the new is a file
Note: The name at the top is not the name of the file but the name of the folder the file is being copied into

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f10/confirm-file-replacement-298329.html
Relevancy 45.58%

When listening to podcasts, I don't really like to use anything other than the basic File Explorer. Unfortunately, when viewing all my podcast folders containing a podcast each, I have no idea how many items are included. All I need is a replacement program that will list, under
H:/Podcasts/
the number of files contained in each folder, the total size of each file, and perhaps even cooler would be showing the latest file downloaded by timestamp. This would be great! Thanks!

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/file-explorer-replacement.418872/
Relevancy 45.15%

on windows live messenger dus anybody know how to recover a file lost from a file sharing folder ????????

A:File Sharing Folder file recovery

From the help file:
"If your contact deletes a shared file, your local copy will be permanently deleted. However, if you delete a shared file, you can still recover it from the recycle bin. If you want to keep a file, copy it to a nonsharing folder."

So if you deleted it, it should be in the recycle bin as long as it hasn't been emptied. If the person who sent you the file deleted it, they should have it in their recycle bin.

HTH

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/file-sharing-folder-file-recovery.621712/
Relevancy 45.15%

Hi guys - here we go again.
I start by saying I've read the previous threads on this topic and haven't got anywhere.

I have 2 computers networked at home. Both 'puters run XP sp2. I want to share files between them. But I can't.

The server service won't start on either. Both say that the server files can't be found. All the dll files are present in system 32 . Start up set to automatic. Executable paths are correct (C:\WINDOWS\system32\svchost.exe -k netsvcs), Log on as local system account, dependency is ok with computer browser there.
Have done a windows file check and no problems.

Please help ??? This is driving me nuts (well more nuts). I am a computer idiot but try hard so please have mercy.

In return happy to answer any dental questions you may have (as that's all i got to give)

Cheers

tricka

Relevancy 45.15%

Mine is either corrupted or missing.    I was unable to uninstall the Microsoft Security Essentials..(Had to use a batch file from the Knowledge Base) .and then am unable to install a new virus scanner because I am getting an error that the program cannot access the Windows Installer "possibly it is not configured correctly"   The folder Config MSI is empty.

A:Where Can I get a replacement file for Windows Installer for XP Pro SP3?

I believe this is what you are looking for:  http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=8483

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/532290/where-can-i-get-a-replacement-file-for-windows-installer-for-xp-pro-sp3/
Relevancy 45.15%

It seems like the simple "open with" dialog has gotten worse with every version of Windows since they invented it. I avoided Win8/8.1, but cannot avoid Win10... and this is a feature that I use regularly, and absolutely hate what MS has done with it in Win10.

I've already checked out Open With Enhanced and found it unsatisfactory, with its suggestions to download outside applications.

Does anyone have any suggestions for other replacements for Win10's File Explorer > Open With dialog?

Thanks

http://www.tenforums.com/customization/64932-file-explorer-open-replacement.html
Relevancy 45.15%

The file below is corrupt and I need a replacement:
x86_microsoft-windows-ie-vgx_31bf3856ad364e35_11.2.9600.17280_none_738be2af45554839.manifest
I've searched other machines I have including their cab files and cannot locate it.  Can anyone help?

https://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/cb1c948e-6582-4d62-8d1a-b58d0ce02478/need-replacement-for-corrupt-manifest-file?forum=ieitprocurrentver
Relevancy 43.43%

In trying to network a Windows Vista machine with 3 Macs and an XP machine, I have all setup except "Users" show up in the "Public" folder. I tried creating another administrator account and did something with file permissions I think. "Users" only shows up on the other machines connecting to the Vista. It does not show up on the Vista. I don't want anyone to see these folders. Help.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/file-permission-or-file-sharing-help.695943/
Relevancy 43%

I was tasked to create an answer file for an unattended install using SIM. In a virtual lab, i had the install.wim file on a server and put it on a share to push it through to the client machine. Just for the purpose of making it easy, we could apply full
control permissions in ntfs to the file to everyone and gave read write permissions to everyone in the share. By giving the path in SIM i could pull the file from the client station, but then was asked for credentials. Any idea why it is asking for credentials?
I thought that i made it available to everyone. I even made a separate folder and copied the file to the folder then changed the permissions. Any help would greatly be appreciated.

https://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/d0f461a6-3a32-4ea0-80a4-93d4ea3a243d/sharing-a-installwim-file-from-server-to-client-to-create-a-unattended-install-answer-file?forum=w7itproinstall
Relevancy 43%

I would be grateful if anyone can help me out.After my Windows 8 Asus n56vj 750gb hard drive failed I replaced it with a 1tb hdd. After carrying out a system image restoration using EaseUs To-do the new hard drive shows in File Explorer as a 750gb capacity. How can I get the increased HDD capacity to register.

A:Replacement hard drive showing wrong capacity in File Explorer

This is normal after a cloning. The partition needs to be expanded. If you look in disk management is there a partition after your Windows C: partition? If there is then you will need to use a third party partition manager to first move the partition after C: and then expand C:. 

Partition Wizard can do the job. All steps are virtual and will not complete until Apply is clicked. This lets you back out of any steps if a mistake is made.

If there is no partition after C: you can expand it in Disk Management by right clicking C: and selecting Extend Volume.

Can you post a screenshot of Disk Management?

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/630912/replacement-hard-drive-showing-wrong-capacity-in-file-explorer/
Relevancy 42.14%

Hello everyone... I am having some issues with not having access to my pictures folder. Here is the story... I have a ps3 and I stream videos, photos and music to it... I use to have my windows media player as my media server as well... I just formated and re-installed windows 7 yesterday and now I can not access my pictures folder or my music.... No thumbnails OR anything! It does have the lock on it and I have tried to gain access but was not successful I also have a question.... when I right click on the My pictures folder and go to properties/security ... there are 3 names in the box - Headman (Headman-PC\Headman) and Administrator (Headman-PC\Administrator) and Administrators (Headman-PC\Administrators) ... is this the issue or will it cause an issue? Thank you so very much!

Adam

A:File sharing- Help!!!

what the warning on it when you click to open the folders? access denied?

http://www.sevenforums.com/network-sharing/106264-file-sharing-help.html
Relevancy 42.14%

Hi there.
In my flat we have a wireless network for sharing files and internet to everyone. But in my room i have a wired network to just share between my computers.
I have been wondering how to share files only throught the ethernet network and not throught the wireless. Does anyone know how to do this? I have one mac with OS X Leopard and one Windows XP computer

Thanks
Allan

A:File Sharing

yes it can be done; I've got three systems and rent two rooms and provide Internet access to the roomies.
I fully share my three and block everything else with this technique;
you must control the ip address assignments;
I like mapping the trusted systems MAC addresses into predetermined ip addresses.
(you can also assign STATIC ip addresses, but still need [y] below)
This allows my systems to have ip addresses like 192.168.0.2, 0.3, 0.4;
[y] I then add (clone) 6 fake MAC addresses
(take any known MAC copy it and just modify the last XX settings)
to map ip assignments like 192.168.0.5, 0.6, 0.7, 0.8, 0.9, 0.10
[y] which creates a range of trusted ip addresses (used in the firewall rules)
of 192.168.0.1 ---> 192.168.0.10
you have to have a better firewall than the default windows version
(eg Comodo, SunBelt)
enable sharing as normal
allow port access for your trusted systems only
(add a rule Allow i/o tcp/udp ports 135-139,445,631 source and dest ip range 192.168.x.1 -- 192.168.x.10)
everything else will default to denied access
on [4] above, some firewalls have a means to define a trusted subnet which works well too.

monitor the firewall log for exceptions and you will see denied access entries for
192.168.x.11 and above.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/file-sharing.107096/
Relevancy 42.14%

I know this has been beat to death. I've searched this forum and google and I can't figure out what I'm doing wrong.

I have a new computer, Vista that I can't get file sharing to work. I have it turned on and can see the computer but when I try to access it I get the message I don't have permission etc. I did get print sharing working

The computer I'm using that I'm trying to access from also has Vista. It's the one with the router. I have a notebook on the network, xp, which I can access just fine.

The "new" computer I can see the other two computers and access their files

Any suggestions? It's really important that I get this working for school work.
I have everything checked correctly in the network card. I've turned off my firewall and disabled Kaspersky,,,what am I missing
Thanks

A:Please help with file sharing

Hi Karen,

Try this link:

File and Printer Sharing in Windows Vista

Sky

http://www.vistax64.com/network-sharing/243952-please-help-file-sharing.html
Relevancy 42.14%

Have a desktop WIN 7 and a Macbook running Win XP via Parallels.

XP on Mac can see drives folders and files on PC Win 7 OK!
PC Win 7 cannot see MAC XP drives, folders or files.

Have jumped thro all hoops and protocols to solve the network connection issue but have failed. I am probably too easily confused with the procedure to make this work.

Would appreciate some help or illustration of steps to take. Thanks

A:File sharing XP & Win 7

Parallels is tricky to access from outside of the Mac it is installed on. Mainly because it's OS that its running is virtual and all data is stored on the Mac's hard drive, which is a different file structure from Windows.

How much file sharing must be transferred?

It may be best to use a program like OneDrive and install that on both Windows OS to transfer files between Microsoft's cloud.

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f217/file-sharing-xp-and-win-7-a-1015050.html
Relevancy 42.14%

We recently set up a wireless network in our student house and can't seem to get file sharing to work too well. There are five PCs all connected; two on Vista and three on XP. I'm on Vista and can share files with one of the XP PCs but we can't access anyone else's and no one else can access anyone else's. We can all get on the internet fine though.

The other Vista PC appears on the network map but the XP ones don't though I think there's an update for XP to fix that (?). In any event that's obviously not too big a problem seeing as I can access XP files.

I get the following error message:
Error code: 0x80070035
The network path was not found

and when I click diagnose I get:
[NAME] is not a valid host name

Dunno whether that all makes sense but any ideas?

A:File sharing

Turn off any firewalls for debugging. If the firewall is the problem, you'll have to configure it to allow access to "trusted zone" addresses. Note that some firewalls must be completely uninstalled to stop them from affecting your networking.

Start, Run, CMD to open a command prompt for the following commands.

PING each remote computer by IP address, and if successful, PING by name. Open a command prompt as described above and type.

PING <ip address>
or
PING <computer name>

Where:
<ip address> - is the x.x.x.x IP address
<computer name> - is the computer name

A failure to PING is almost always a firewall configuration issue. Any failure to PING needs to be corrected before you go any farther.

Note: You can obtain the IP address and computer name of a computer by opening a command prompt (DOS window) and typing IPCONFIG /ALL. This should work for any Windows version. The IPCONFIG /ALL display will provide a wealth of useful information for debugging your network connection.

Check your Services are Started on all PCs:

Computer Browser
DHCP Client
DNS Client
Network Location Awareness
Remote Procedure Call (RPC)
Server
TCP/IP Netbios helper
Workstation

Note: You can check the services in Control Panel, Administrative Tools, Services.

All computers should be in the same workgroup for computer browsing to function properly. File & Print Sharing has to be enabled on any computer you wish to share files or printers from. You also need to actually share the resource in question from My Computer, right click on the drive/printer/folder, and select sharing.

If you encounter difficulties accessing computers that are visible in Network Neighborhood, make sure the computer being accessed has an account with the same name/password as the system connecting to it uses to login.

While the default NetBIOS setting is correct for normal network configurations, it's possible for it to be altered, and it costs nothing to make sure it's correct. NETBIOS over TCP/IP must be enabled for normal network browsing.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/file-sharing.638657/
Relevancy 42.14%

How do I delete this post?

Thank you

Relevancy 42.14%

I have 3 systems. Windows XP, Windows Vista and Ubuntu 9.10. I'd like to get some clarification on the infamous "file sharing". I'd like to be able to copy items from my Windows XP machine to my Windows Vista machine securely. Is this possible? Thanks in advance. I tried looking through the Windows utilities but it just confused me more.

Throwing the word "securely" kind of puts a level of complexity into your possible answers. You can enforce some sort of authentication to get/put files from/to a share, but creating the share in the first place introduces some level of security risk. What you might want to make sure of is that your network is secure. Is there wireless access to your network? Does it require any type of key/encryption to access it? Which kind? Are you broadcasting your SSID or doing any MAC filtering? What other users are on your network and what sorts of activities do they do on the computers?

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/file-sharing.139033/
Relevancy 42.14%

I HAVE A DOS PROGRAM i.e. A C PROG. THAT WRTE TO THIS FILE CONTINOUSLY.

NOW I WANT AT SAME TIME IT SHOULD BE READ THROUGH vb CODE.

IS THIS POSSIBLE?
IS SO HOW??
IF NOT WHY?

Relevancy 42.14%

Hello all I'm in hopes someone can offer some suggestions I've searched for months and tried just about every tutorial I can find now its all turned to mush I have two desktops one running W home premium bit that has an ethernet connection to a with sharing and file XP W7 linksys e wireless router My other desktop is XP Pro SP with a Linksys wireless adapter Both pcs can access the net but cannot quot see quot each other This is my Ipconfig all my network map After going thru the tutorial in File Sharing - Between XP and W and vice versa I was able to at least see one folder Elements while on the XP machine But I still get the quot Workgroup is not accessible You might not have permission to use this network resource Contact the administrator of this server to find file sharing with W7 and XP out if you have access permission quot No network path quot All firewalls have been disabled TCIP file sharing with W7 and XP Net Bios is enabled no passwords file sharing is enabled

A:file sharing with W7 and XP

First, make sure your router is properly configured. In your ipconfig screenshot, I see the connections have DNS servers set to 192.168.2.1, and the secondary value is 192.168.1.1. That's not correct. Since both computers use 192.168.1.x, your DNS server needs to be 192.168.1.1, not 192.168.2.1. Also, make sure your router is set up for DHCP, and make sure your computers are also set up for DHCP and not static IPs.

Once you've fixed that, accomplish the following steps.

1. Uninstall any third party security/firewall applications (Norton, Mcafee, etc) from both computers. Reboot.
2. Install Microsoft Security Essentials on both computers. Reboot.
3. Enable the Windows firewall on both machines.
4. Verify both computers belong to the same workgroup. If they don't, put both computers in the same workgroup. Reboot.
5. Create identical users and passwords on both computers. For example, create user "Bob" with password "qazQAZ123" on both computers, and make both of them administrators. (They don't need admin access, but both users need to have the same type of access, ie power user, user, etc.) Reboot.

Once you've done those steps, see if you can access each computer.

http://www.sevenforums.com/network-sharing/172971-file-sharing-w7-xp.html
Relevancy 42.14%

Hello,
I have a Windows Vista machine acting as a VPN server. I can connect fine through a Windows 7, Windows Vista, Windows XP computer on another network. But, I have a few problems.

1. Can't ping server by name or public,private ip address
2. CAN'T ACCESS SHARED FILES

Now, yes I have set up all the shared folders security permissions but still when I type into run \\Server-PC , all it gives me is a little X that says Network device could not be found (or something similar to that) And yes my computers name is Server-PC. I have searched many websites and all they told me about is WINS server NETBIOS and the DNS tabs. I am a geek when it comes to computers but I don't get what WINS NETBIOS and the DNS tabs do. Any help solving these issues would be great! Thanks

A:VPN File Sharing

I think I have solved it. Anyone out there reading this listen!!!! I think all you have to do is go to ipv6 properties and uncheck use default gateway on remote network. I just read this on the internet and it is the only reasonable answer I could find!

http://www.sevenforums.com/network-sharing/164040-vpn-file-sharing.html
Relevancy 42.14%

Hi I am trying to use the network through wireless router between my Desktop XP Pro SP amp Laptop Win Pro Able to view my shared folders amp printers in each of the PC's but am not able to access them Getting the following error messages respectively Desktop XP Pro SP - Network Name Quote ABCD Documents is not accessible You might not have the permission to use this network resource Contact the administrator of this server to find out if you have access permissions Access is denied Laptop Win Pro - Network Name ABCD Quote Network Error Windows cannot access Documents You do not have permission to access Documents Contact your network administrator to request access Additional Info Windows Resource Tool Kit is installed on Desktop XP Pro And have entered the following commands net user guest active yes ntrights r SeNetworkLogonRight -u Guest ntrights -r SeDenyNetworkLogonRight -u Guest No rd Party Firewall software is being used Have allowed File and Printer Sharing in Windows Firewall on both PC's Sharing & between XP W7 File Pls assist in resolving this issue

A:File Sharing between W7 & XP

This usually relates to a permissions issue. Try the tutorial in the link below for the win 7 machine.

http://www.sevenforums.com/tutorials...ns.html?filter

For XP permissions it's in the link below.
Windows XP: Set permissions for folders and files

http://www.sevenforums.com/network-sharing/128080-file-sharing-between-w7-xp.html
Relevancy 42.14%

i have 2 computers and i would like to share my music over my home network. i am running xp home on the desktop and xp pro on the laptop.

i am using a dlink router with mac filtering for security

the desktop is wired directly to the router
the laptop is connected wirelessly through a linksys wireless adapter.
both can access the internet fine.

i have tried to enable filesharing on both computer and according to each computer it was successful however when i look for the shared folders they do not show up.

the files and folders do not show up in the "shared documents folder".

i have also tried sharing the whole harddrive over the network and that does not show up either.

any and all help is appreciated

thank you for your time.

psykotik8

Relevancy 42.14%

I have a Netgear wireless router to share internet between 2 PC's and a WII.

Today I tried to set up file sharing as well.

I have names my workgroups the same and can see the PC upstairs from the one that is hard wired to the downstairs PC.

I have shared the main C: completely on both PC's

I can change all the files from downstairs without a problem.

When I go upstairs I can see the C: on the PC downstairs but it says I don't have permission to view them. I can't find the permissions tab anywhere.

The PC downstairs is connected with a network lead while the one upstairs in a USB dongle.

Please help

Hi

Have you enabled Simple File Sharing in both systems?

Have a look and run through these points here to see if it helps: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/304040

If you allow yourself full read/write and share access to all drive from both computers, it should work.

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f10/file-sharing-163387.html
Relevancy 42.14%

i have a windows xp that i keep as a storage pc.

the pc only has 1 user (password protected); Administrator

i have a shared folder, that users have access to. ( wrote the username and password myself on the other pcs)
the problem is that i wish to remove the access to the users but not all of them, so i changed the admin password
but the problem is that even after i changed the admin password all the other pcs still can access the files ( they have the old password saved)

anyone ? :S

thanks.

Relevancy 42.14%

I have suddenly lost the ability to share between a laptop running Windows Home Premium and a desktop running XP Home Sp It worked fine up to a week ago and I haven't made any changes but perhaps some updates File and XP Sharing between 7 automatically File Sharing between 7 and XP loaded Here's where I am Network Places on the Desktop does not show the Laptop I am able to access the internet and shared folders on other network computers The Network view on the Laptop shows the Desktop but if I click on it I get an error message that says quot Windows cannot access Desktop quot I am able to access the internet and shared folders on other network computers I'm running McAfee Total Protection and I have tried disabling the firewall on both machines but that hasn't solved the problem McAfee File Sharing between 7 and XP on each machine sees the other machine in the My Network view and each is a trusted machine Both machines are set up for the same workgroup Ideas for restoring this functionality

A:File Sharing between 7 and XP

Hi daves1243, read this, Attachment 166900

http://www.sevenforums.com/network-sharing/177119-file-sharing-between-7-xp.html
Relevancy 42.14%

hey i am needing some help, i got my computers both set up on the internet one with a wireless router and one with a pci wireless adapter. I am wanting to set up a file sharing network so that i can move files from one computer to another. also i am wanting to set up the network for remote connect also. i am just needing to know where to start. I have tried network setup wizard and i can never get it to work.... please help

A:file sharing

You might want to look at this web site it has alot of helpful and useful information that help you accomplish what you are asking in terms of file sharing. http://www.ezlan.net/

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/file-sharing.356651/
Relevancy 42.14%

Hi. I have 2 computers hooked up to a router. I'm trying to set up a home network.

On one of the computers, the wizard recognizes the shared connection, but on the other it doesn't. It asks me what type of connection I have instead. I went through on the latter one and finished the setup wizard, however when I restarted I never saw a "Shared Documents" folder like I saw on the other comp. Please help. Thanks.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/please-help-me-set-up-file-sharing.487409/
Relevancy 42.14%

Hi Gang!

I just ordered a Dell laptop. It will be running XP home just like the desktop I already have. I want to set up a wireless network between the two machines. My question is this. If I want to share all files between both machines, do I need to install the basic program on both machines or will the laptop "read" both the programs and the associated files from the desktop. For example, do I need to install my Quicken program on the laptop inorder to work with the Quicken files located on my desktop? This will be my first networking attempt, so all help and advice will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance!!!

Simply sharing the files needs no special setup outside of the networking basics. BUT in order to run the program from both machines, it needs to be installed on both machines because of the need for support files that are installed within the operating system on each machine.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/file-sharing.12971/
Relevancy 42.14%

Hi, have a pc with xp sp2 and a laptop with vista home prem. They connect to the web fine using a router but I cannot for life of me get them to allow me to file share. I see the pc in my laptop network folder but when u click on the pc I get error message 0x8007035 network path could not be found. I don't see the laptop on the pc. I have tried many things, file sharing is all ok, I am getting frustrated to the extent the window is looking very vunerable to a flying laptop crashing through it. Any help would be most welcome. Firewalls are disabled.

One extra point, I can ping the lap from the PC but not vice versa.