Windows Support Forum

Windows Update/Windows Search/Personalize Desktop will not load

Q: Windows Update/Windows Search/Personalize Desktop will not load

Hi My first post here and I m wondering if someone can help with my problem since I ve completely run out of ideas For the last few months I have been unable to load Windows Update Windows Search or the Personalize Desktop option when right clicking on the desktop When I click on these items a window will open for a second completely white and then close instantly There s seemingly no way around this and the same is true in Safe Mode Suspecting a virus trojan or similar I have run a number of scans AVG SpyBot Ad Aware Malware Bytes Kaspersky Norton command line sfc etc Apart from a few tracking cookies nothing has been found Running HijackThis also revealed nothing untoward I ve search the MS Knowledge base extensively and not found anything There are similar problems regarding specific error numbers but I do not get one just a window that opens then quickly closes I have tried MS s own FixIt tool for Windows Update and it didn t make any difference I can still search using the quick search bar in the start menu but clicking quot search everywhere quot does Update/Windows not will load Desktop Windows Search/Personalize nothing I can still change my desktop background by right clicking on an image and choosing quot set as desktop background quot I cannot run Windows Update All of my other software is completely up Windows Update/Windows Search/Personalize Desktop will not load to date I still suspect that this is some sort of very clever trojan rather than an OS error but since I m not getting any error messages I can t be sure Any advice would be very much appreciated

Relevancy 100%
Preferred Solution: Windows Update/Windows Search/Personalize Desktop will not load

I recommend downloading and running Reimage. It's a computer repair tool that has been proven to identify and fix many Windows problems with a high level of success.

I've used it in the past to identify and fix everything from blue screens (BSOD's), ActiveX errors, corrupt files and processes, dll/exe/sys errors, recover lost memory, Windows update problems, defragging, malware removal etc.

You can download it direct from this link http://downloadreimage.com/directdownload.php. (This link will automatically start a download of Reimage that you can save to your computer.)

A: Windows Update/Windows Search/Personalize Desktop will not load

Can you run regedit?

Access the Microsoft website?

Update your installed AV program?

What other system anomalies exist?

Louis

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/394433/windows-updatewindows-searchpersonalize-desktop-will-not-load/
Relevancy 80.84%

I have a problem loading many things such as windows update, the windows search(the search within windows) and some other things. I think it may be active x or something, but it is enabled in IE so I'm not sure what the problem is.

This is a fairly old computer. I just recently had a problem with Windows Activiation, but I've had it for years. The window would not load for activation so I ended up using a crack. I ran virus scans with AVG and the such and cleaned up the computer.

A:Can't load windows update, windows search, and other things

Updates are probably being an issue due to the crack - if that's the case, we're unable to support you.

If you copy is legal, all you have to do is contact Microsoft for valid key :-)

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f10/cant-load-windows-update-windows-search-and-other-things-97600.html
Relevancy 79.55%

I was trying to switch my static wallpaper to a slideshow one although when I tried to do it this is what happened I selected the folder and chose the pictures I clicked save changes then exited the Personalization window When I noticed my wallpaper wasn't changing I tried right-clicking the desktop and choosing Buggy 'Personalize' Option Windows is Very Desktop next wallpaper Nothing happened and when I went back into the Personalization window it Windows Desktop 'Personalize' Option is Very Buggy was like this http Windows Desktop 'Personalize' Option is Very Buggy screensnapr com e Windows Desktop 'Personalize' Option is Very Buggy SoqlJ png You can see the Desktop Background icon in the bottom right is black and no slideshow is selected This icon is always black whether I have selected a slideshow or not It still displays the proper background just the icon is a little buggy Whenever I try other slideshows they work I tried customizing them to my own photos but then the Desktop Background icon just went black again Has anyone else ever had this problem Do they know how to fix it Thanks in advance

A:Windows Desktop 'Personalize' Option is Very Buggy

Never mind, fixed it by deleting everything in my Themes folder.

For anyone wondering, do this:
CTRL + R
Type in %appdata% and hit enter
Microsoft/Windows/Themes
Delete everything in there and you're done.

http://www.sevenforums.com/customization/233599-windows-desktop-personalize-option-very-buggy.html
Relevancy 76.97%

After installing most recent critical update, my computer restarts and I get a balck screen with a little window that says "Setting up personalized settings Desktop Update" or something of the like (may have left a word out) and it never goes away. I can pull up task manager, end task, but explorer.exe also ends. If I then run task explorer.exe, the little window comes back.

I've system restored to before the update and I'm fine, then windows reinstalls the update and I have the same problem. UAC is off, i'm on admin account.

What do?

A:Windows Desktop won't load after most recent update

Use system restore and set update to not to do automatic. When the update comes just right click on it then, hide.
Windows Update Settings - Change

http://www.sevenforums.com/windows-u...n-updates.html

http://www.sevenforums.com/windows-updates-activation/102054-windows-desktop-wont-load-after-most-recent-update.html
Relevancy 64.5%

I am having a problem with the Windows Central app crashing on load for Windows 10 (14393.10). I have uninstalled the app and re-downloaded it from the store. It does the same thing.
To note, the problem started after that quick 1 day cumulative update between Windows 10 (10586.464) and the Anniversary Release (14393.10).
This is the only app that crashes. It works fine on my mobile (Lumia Icon).
Any suggestions outside of resetting the PC?

A:Windows Central Desktop App crashes on load for Windows 10 (14393.10)

Originally Posted by Windows Central Question I am having a problem with the Windows Central app crashing on load for Windows 10 (14393.10). I have uninstalled the app and re-downloaded it from the store. It does the same thing.
To note, the problem started after that quick 1 day cumulative update between Windows 10 (10586.464) and the Anniversary Release (14393.10).
This is the only app that crashes. It works fine on my mobile (Lumia Icon).
Any suggestions outside of resetting the PC? it crashes before you get to the stage for sign in or after?
If you need additional help or have more questions or details to share, please join the site so you can reply in this thread. See this link for instructions on how to join Windows Central.

http://forums.windowscentral.com/ask-question/434129-windows-central-desktop-app-crashes-load-windows-10-14393-10-a.html
Relevancy 64.07%

Some fonts are not accessible from the "Window Color and Appearance" dialog. Example is "My Themes" is very small on my 1900 x 1080 even at 125%. Is there a way to change the the size of this font? Thanks....

A:Windows 7 font size in some windows - Personalize

Maybe hold down control and scroll with the mouse wheel (if you have one)

http://www.sevenforums.com/customization/136164-windows-7-font-size-some-windows-personalize.html
Relevancy 64.07%

This Toshiba computer had the Windows 7 Updated loaded onto it. Now when the computer starts up I receive the Safe Mode etc...options. I select Start Normally and from there is when it takes about an hour or more to load windows.

When the system finally loads, to click on anything takes about 10 minutes or more to populate anything.

A loading error message is received in the bottom right hand corner which says something about logging in as administrator and loading a disc.

This is my friends computer(previously mine) and I need to get to the pictures and save them in case I'm going to need to reset anything. If someone can tell me how to get at the pictures faster or fixing this without wiping out the pics that would be great. Much appreciated!! Tiff

A:Download Update for Windows 7, now comp takes about an hour to load windows

Right now I am in safe mode and it's seconds faster but not much and i did not receive that error in the bottom right corner.

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f217/download-update-for-windows-7-now-comp-takes-about-an-hour-to-load-windows-678578.html
Relevancy 64.07%

I am constantly having redirects and new tabs spontaneously open to spammy websites in slow blocked, Windows load Browser redirects, Windows Update to both Browser redirects, Windows Update blocked, slow to load Windows IE and Firefox I cannot get to Windows Browser redirects, Windows Update blocked, slow to load Windows Update it either says it can't connect or takes me to a fake search engine page Windows is very slow to load at start and after working for a little while I tend to get Generic Host Process for Win Services Browser redirects, Windows Update blocked, slow to load Windows errors after which my machine locks up Malwarebytes has not found anything AVG says it finds infections and fixes The infections are in svchost exe iexplorer exe and explorer exe where it says that a Trojan horse Agent r XJ Object was removed from each I do have access to my Windows XP Install disk Thanks so much for your help coxpac DDS Ver - - - NTFSx NETWORK Internet Explorer BrowserJavaVersion Run by mcox at on - - Microsoft Windows XP Professional GMT - Running Processes C WINDOWS system svchost -k DcomLaunch svchost exe C WINDOWS system svchost exe -k netsvcs svchost exe svchost exe C WINDOWS Explorer EXE C Program Files Mozilla Firefox firefox exe C Program Files Mozilla Firefox plugin-container exe C Documents and Settings mcox Desktop dds com C WINDOWS system WSCRIPT exe Pseudo HJT Report uInternet Settings ProxyOverride local BHO AcroIEHlprObj Class e f-c d - d -b d- b d be b - c program files adobe acrobat activex AcroIEHelper dll BHO AVG Safe Search ca f - f e- b -a e- e e c c - c program files avg avg avgssie dll BHO WhiteSmoke Toolbar -af c- c - def-f e f c - c program files whitesmoketoolbar whitesmoketoolbarX dll BHO avast WebRep e e -ad d- bf-ac d-d f d - c program files avast software avast aswWebRepIE dll BHO Adobe PDF Conversion Toolbar Helper ae cd -e - f- - ee - c program files adobe acrobat acrobat AcroIEFavClient dll BHO Java tm Plug-In SSV Helper dbc -a - b-bc - c c c a - c program files java jre bin jp ssv dll BHO JQSIEStartDetectorImpl Class e e f - ce- c -bc -eabfe f c - c program files java jre lib deploy jqs ie jqs plugin dll TB Adobe PDF -d c - - fa - e eaac - c program files adobe acrobat acrobat AcroIEFavClient dll TB avast WebRep e e -ad d- bf-ac d-d f d - c program files avast software avast aswWebRepIE dll TB WhiteSmoke Toolbar -af c- c - def-f e f c - c program files whitesmoketoolbar whitesmoketoolbarX dll EB Adobe PDF ec be- - c -a -beb d a b - c program files adobe acrobat acrobat AcroIEFavClient dll uRun ctfmon exe c windows system ctfmon exe uRun MSMSGS quot c program files messenger msmsgs exe quot background uRunOnce spchecker quot c program files avg avg notification SPCheckerTE exe quot uRunOnce FlashPlayerUpdate c windows system macromed flash FlashUtil p Plugin exe -update plugin mRun RTHDCPL RTHDCPL EXE mRun SkyTel SkyTel EXE mRun Alcmtr ALCMTR EXE mRun StartCCC quot c program files ati technologies ati ace core-static CLIStart exe quot MSRun mRun IntelliPoint quot c program files microsoft intellipoint point exe quot mRun Acrobat Assistant quot c program files adobe acrobat distillr Acrotray exe quot mRun lt NO NAME gt mRun QuickTime Task quot c program files quicktime qttask exe quot -atboottime mRun AVG TRAY c program files avg avg avgtray exe mRun iTunesHelper quot c program files itunes iTunesHelper exe quot mRun SunJavaUpdateSched quot c program files common files java java update jusched exe quot mRun googletalk c program files google google talk googletalk exe autostart mRun avast quot c program files avast software avast avastUI exe quot nogui StartupFolder c docume mcox startm programs startup autoho lnk - c documents and settings mcox application data microsoft installer c -a ed- c e- - be eab icons exe StartupFolder c docume alluse startm programs startup adobea lnk - c windows installer ac ba - - - - SC Acrobat exe StartupFolder c docume alluse startm programs startup micros lnk - c ... Read more

A:Browser redirects, Windows Update blocked, slow to load Windows

Hello, Welcome to TSF.
I'm nasdaq and will be helping you.

You may wish to Subscribe to this thread (Thread Tools > Subscribe to this thread) so that you are notified when you receive a reply.

Please read these instructions carefully and then print out or copy this page to Notepad in order to assist you when carrying out the fix.

Note that the fix may take several posts. Please continue to respond to my instructions until I confirm that your logs are clean. Remember that although your symptoms may vanish, this does NOT mean that your system is clean.

If there is anything you don't understand, please ask BEFORE proceeding with the fixes.

Please ensure that you follow the instructions in the order I have them listed.

Please do not install or uninstall any programs, or run any other scanners or software, unless I specifically ask you to do so. Also please copy and paste logs into the thread, rather than add them as attachments.
===

Please download ComboFix from one of these locations:

Link 1
Link 2

* IMPORTANT !!! Save ComboFix.exe to your Desktop
Disable your Anti-Virus and Anti-Spyware applications, usually via a right click on the System Tray icon. They may otherwise interfere with our tools
Double click on ComboFix.exe & follow the prompts.
As part of it's process, ComboFix will check to see if the Microsoft Windows Recovery Console is installed. With malware infections being as they are today, it's strongly recommended to have this pre-installed on your machine before doing any malware removal. It will allow you to boot up into a special recovery/repair mode that will allow us to more easily help you should your computer have a problem after an attempted removal of malware.
Follow the prompts to allow ComboFix to download and install the Microsoft Windows Recovery Console, and when prompted, agree to the End-User License Agreement to install the Microsoft Windows Recovery Console.
Some Rookit infection may damage your boot sector. The Windows Recovery Console may be needed to restore it. Do not bypass this installation. You may regret it.

**Please note: If the Microsoft Windows Recovery Console is already installed, ComboFix will continue it's malware removal procedures.

Once the Microsoft Windows Recovery Console is installed using ComboFix, you should see the following message:

Click on Yes, to continue scanning for malware.

When finished, it shall produce a log for you. Please include the C:\ComboFix.txt in your next reply.

Note: If you have difficulty properly disabling your protection programs, refer to this link --> How To Temporarily Disable Your Anti-virus, Firewall And Anti-malware Programs

Do not mouse click ComboFix's window while it's running. That may cause it to stall
===

For AVG antivirus and anti-spyware security software users only.

Quote:

Due to recent changes in AVG and how it interacts with CF, AVG must be uninstalled to run ComboFix. You will get a message from CF stating such.

If AVG will not uninstall, it is first recommended to uninstall it with this AppRemover by Opswat. The AVG uninstaller can be downloaded from here > AppRemover.exe Go to their homepage and you will see they have support for removal of other AV's as well AVG appremover tool.

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f100/browser-redirects-windows-update-blocked-slow-to-load-windows-576409.html
Relevancy 64.07%

I recently installed Windows XP and all my programs on a new hard drive as the old one would not boot Last week Windows redirects, browser load to Windows slow Update blocked, I received a quot Generic host process for Win services quot error My machine locked up and I had to restart Then I started having issues where Windows would not load or would take a very long time I am able to start Windows in Safe Mode but it takes much longer than it should Now sometimes when starting IE or Firefox or when surfing new tabs are started on spammy webpages Other times IE or Firefox will not start Windows Update blocked, browser redirects, slow to load Windows I also cannot go to the Windows Update site Neither Malwarebytes nor Avast find any instance of infection AVG says that it finds infections and repairs Just in case it would help here is that part of the AVG log file C WINDOWS system svchost exe memory a Trojan horse Agent r XJ C WINDOWS system svchost exe Trojan horse Agent r XJ Object was removed C Program Files Internet Explorer iexplore exe memory Trojan horse Agent r XJ C Program Files Internet Explorer iexplore exe Trojan Windows Update blocked, browser redirects, slow to load Windows horse Agent r XJ Object was removed C WINDOWS explorer exe memory a Trojan horse Agent r XJ C WINDOWS explorer exe Trojan horse Agent r XJ Object was removed Thanks for any help you can provide coxpac Logfile of Trend Micro HijackThis v Scan saved at PM on Platform Windows XP SP WinNT MSIE Internet Explorer v Boot mode Safe mode with network support Running processes C WINDOWS System smss exe C WINDOWS system winlogon exe C WINDOWS system services exe C WINDOWS system lsass exe C WINDOWS system svchost exe C WINDOWS system svchost exe C WINDOWS Explorer EXE C Documents and Settings mcox Desktop HijackThis exe R - HKLM Software Microsoft Internet Explorer Main Default Page URL http go microsoft com fwlink LinkId R - HKLM Software Microsoft Internet Explorer Main Default Search URL http go microsoft com fwlink LinkId R - HKLM Software Microsoft Internet Explorer Main Search Page http go microsoft com fwlink LinkId R - HKLM Software Microsoft Internet Explorer Main Start Page http go microsoft com fwlink LinkId R - HKCU Software Microsoft Windows CurrentVersion Internet Settings ProxyOverride local O - BHO AcroIEHlprObj Class - E F-C D - D -B D- B D BE B - C Program Files Adobe Acrobat ActiveX AcroIEHelper dll O - BHO WormRadar com IESiteBlocker NavFilter - CA F - F E- B -A E- E E C C - C Program Files AVG AVG avgssie dll O - BHO avast WebRep - E E -AD D- bf-AC D-D F D - C Program Files AVAST Software Avast aswWebRepIE dll file missing O - BHO Adobe PDF Conversion Toolbar Helper - AE CD -E - f- - EE - C Program Files Adobe Acrobat Acrobat AcroIEFavClient dll O - BHO Java tm Plug-In SSV Helper - DBC -A - b-BC - C C C A - C Program Files Java jre bin jp ssv dll O - BHO JQSIEStartDetectorImpl - E E F - CE- C -BC -EABFE F C - C Program Files Java jre lib deploy jqs ie jqs plugin dll O - Toolbar Adobe PDF - -D C - - FA - E EAAC - C Program Files Adobe Acrobat Acrobat AcroIEFavClient dll O - Toolbar avast WebRep - E E -AD D- bf-AC D-D F D - C Program Files AVAST Software Avast aswWebRepIE dll file missing O - HKLM Run RTHDCPL RTHDCPL EXE O - HKLM Run SkyTel SkyTel EXE O - HKLM Run Alcmtr ALCMTR EXE O - HKLM Run StartCCC quot C Program Files ATI Technologies ATI ACE Core-Static CLIStart exe quot MSRun O - HKLM Run IntelliPoint quot C Program Files Microsoft IntelliPoint point exe quot O - HKLM Run Acrobat Assistant quot C Program Files Adobe Acrobat Distillr Acrotray exe quot O - HKLM Run QuickTime Task quot C Program Files QuickTime qttask exe quot -atboottime O - HKLM Run AVG TRAY C Program Files AVG AVG avgtray exe O - HKLM Run iTunesHelper quot C Program Files iTunes iTunesHelper exe quot O - HKLM Run SunJavaUpdateSched quot C Program Files Common Files Java Java Update jusched exe quot O - HKLM Run googletalk C Program Files Google Google Talk googlet... Read more

A:Windows Update blocked, browser redirects, slow to load Windows

Is there anyone out there that can help me, or can I provide any additional information?

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/windows-update-blocked-browser-redirects-slow-to-load-windows.995899/
Relevancy 63.21%

Wouldn't even let me post a message to this forum.

Testing again!

A:Windows update won't load, windows running slow NEED HELP.....PLEASE!

Why can't I post anything other than simple stuff????????

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f100/windows-update-wont-load-windows-running-slow-need-help-please-501883.html
Relevancy 62.78%

My windows and update search redirected Windows other search redirects different to results google, and being engines to other programs will not update and Windows update redirects to Google Any searches in google will redirect when I click on a link I have run Malwarebytes Superantisyware and Hyjackthis This is the latest Hijack this log I Windows update redirects to google, and other search results being redirected to different search engines would appreciate any help you can give me Thanks PaulLogfile of Windows update redirects to google, and other search results being redirected to different search engines Trend Micro HijackThis v Scan saved at PM on Platform Windows XP SP WinNT MSIE Internet Explorer v Boot mode NormalRunning processes C WINDOWS System smss exeC WINDOWS system winlogon exeC WINDOWS system services exeC WINDOWS system lsass exeC WINDOWS system Ati Windows update redirects to google, and other search results being redirected to different search engines evxx exeC WINDOWS system svchost exeC WINDOWS System svchost exeC WINDOWS system Ati evxx exeC Program Files Lavasoft Ad-Aware aawservice exeC WINDOWS Explorer EXEC WINDOWS system RunDll exeC Program Files Adobe Acrobat Distillr Acrotray exeC WINDOWS mHotkey exeC WINDOWS CNYHKey exeC Program Files Java jre bin jusched exeC Program Files HP HP Software Update HPWuSchd exeC Program Files iTunes iTunesHelper exeC PROGRA Grisoft AVG avgcc exeC Program Files Common Files Ahead Lib NMBgMonitor exeC WINDOWS system ctfmon exeC Program Files Messenger msmsgs exeC Program Files Google GoogleToolbarNotifier GoogleToolbarNotifier exeC Program Files SUPERAntiSpyware SUPERAntiSpyware exeC Program Files HP Digital Imaging bin hpqtra exeC WINDOWS system spoolsv exeC Program Files Common Files Apple Mobile Device Support bin AppleMobileDeviceService exeC PROGRA Grisoft AVG avgamsvr exeC PROGRA Grisoft AVG avgupsvc exeC PROGRA Grisoft AVG avgemc exeC Program Files Bonjour mDNSResponder exeC Program Files Google Common Google Updater GoogleUpdaterService exeC Program Files Java jre bin jqs exeC Program Files Microsoft SQL Server MSSQL ACT Binn sqlservr exeC WINDOWS system svchost exeC Program Files HP Digital Imaging bin hpqSTE exeC Program Files iPod bin iPodService exeC WINDOWS System svchost exeC WINDOWS system wscntfy exeC WINDOWS system HPZipm exeC WINDOWS system NOTEPAD EXEC Documents and Settings Paul Desktop HijackThis exeR - HKCU Software Microsoft Internet Explorer Main Search Bar http ca red clientapps yahoo com customi search ie htmlR - HKCU Software Microsoft Internet Explorer Main Search Page www google caR - HKCU Software Microsoft Internet Explorer Main Start Page http lite rogers yahoo com R - HKLM Software Microsoft Internet Explorer Main Default Page URL http rogers yahoo comR - HKLM Software Microsoft Internet Explorer Main Default Search URL http ca red clientapps yahoo com customi www yahoo comR - HKLM Software Microsoft Internet Explorer Main Search Page http ca red clientapps yahoo com customi www yahoo comR - HKLM Software Microsoft Internet Explorer Main Start Page http rogers yahoo comR - HKCU Software Microsoft Internet Explorer SearchURL Default http ca red clientapps yahoo com customi www yahoo comR - HKCU Software Microsoft Windows CurrentVersion Internet Settings ProxyOverride localR - URLSearchHook Yahoo Toolbar - EF BD -C FB- D - F- D F - C Program Files Yahoo Companion Installs cpn yt dllO - BHO Yahoo Toolbar Helper - D -C F - EFB- B - ECA - C Program Files Yahoo Companion Installs cpn yt dllO - BHO Adobe PDF Reader Link Helper - E F-C D - D -B D- B D BE B - C Program Files Adobe Acrobat ActiveX AcroIEHelper dllO - BHO Yahoo IE Services Button - BAB B B- BC- B - D - FC DE A - C PROGRA Yahoo common yiesrvc dllO - BHO Java Plug-In SSV Helper - BB-D F - C-B EB-D DAF D D - C Program Files Java jre bin ssv dllO - BHO Google Toolbar Helper - AA ED - DD- d - -CF F - c program files google googletoolbar dllO - BHO Adobe PDF Conversion Toolbar Helper ... Read more

A:Windows update redirects to google, and other search results being redirected to different search engines

Welcome to the BleepingComputer Forums. Since it has been a few days since you scanned your computer with HijackThis, we will need a new HijackThis log. If you have not already downloaded Random's System Information Tool (RSIT), please download Random's System Information Tool (RSIT) by random/random which includes a HijackThis log and save it to your desktop. If you have RSIT already on your computer, please run it again. Double click on RSIT.exe to run RSIT. Click Continue at the disclaimer screen. Please post the contents of log.txt. Thank you for your patience.Please see Preparation Guide for use before posting about your potential Malware problem. If you have already posted this log at another forum or if you decide to seek help at another forum, please let us know. There is a shortage of helpers and taking the time of two volunteer helpers means that someone else may not be helped. Please post your HijackThis log as a reply to this thread and not as an attachment. I am always leery of opening attachments so I always request that HijackThis logs are to be posted as a reply to the thread. I do not think that you are attaching anything scary but others may do so. While we are working on your HijackThis log, please: Reply to this thread; do not start another! Do not make any changes on your computer during the cleaning process or download/add programs on your computer unless instructed to do so. Do not run any other tool until instructed to do so! Let me know if any of the links do not work or if any of the tools do not work. Tell me about problems or symptoms that occur during the fix. Do not run any other programs or open any other windows while doing a fix. Ask any questions that you have regarding the fix(es), the infection(s), the performance of your computer, etc.Thanks.

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/202484/windows-update-redirects-to-google-and-other-search-results-being-redirected-to-different-search-engines/
Relevancy 62.35%

Microsoft has a nice area for you to add more themes, backgrounds and gadgets to your set-up:

Windows 7 beta: Personalize your PC

Relevancy 62.35%

Update - Fixed by reinstalling Windows fresh Again I think the problem was caused by installing Windows linked with my Microsoft account and then switching that to a local user My Microsoft account was registered for the insider program so perhaps I was receiving the fast updates and switching to a local account put me on slow updates which got Windows Update muddled in the confusion Original Post Windows Update appears to load Security Update Update Settings does & Windows - > not > be stuck broken It displays this loading animation even when left alone for an entire day See screenshot All the other panels such as Windows Defender will display their available options it is only Windows Update that will not show This is a clean install of Windows Home I have made some alterations to the service configuration disabling what I had been advised as unnecessary services I have reverted as many of those changes as I could remember but it is a possibility that one of those changes caused this Background Intelligent Transfer service is quot Running quot and set to quot Automatic Delayed Start quot Windows Update service is quot Running quot and set to quot Manual Trigger Start quot Aug - Edit I have cross referenced services with another computer with an unaltered fresh install of Windows Home No difference in service configuration was found Internet connectivity is stable Network profile is quot Public Settings > Update & Security > Windows Update - does not load quot No alterations have been made to the default network configuration User account was originally associated with Microsoft Account but was then switched to be a Local Account Have run sfc scannow which found and fixed Settings > Update & Security > Windows Update - does not load some problems Running sfc scannow a second time reported no problems Running the Windows Update Troubleshooter through Troubleshooting - gt Fix problems with Windows Update yields no results quot Troubleshooting couldn't identify the problem quot Have deleted contents of C Windows SoftwareDistribution Download Have also re-initiated the C Windows SoftwareDistribution folder Have ran command quot Dism Online Cleanup-Image RestoreHealth quot which reports no errors Have ran command quot Dism Online Settings > Update & Security > Windows Update - does not load Cleanup-Image StartComponentCleanup ResetBase quot Have ran the fix-it from https support microsoft com en-us kb which reports quot Troubleshooting couldn't identify the problem quot Cross-posting this from my question on Microsoft Answers which unfortunately did not garner much attention so I'm trying on these forums Aug Edit Checking installed updates I do not have KB or KB Manually downloaded and installed both of these updates Did not fix the issue

A:Settings > Update & Security > Windows Update - does not load

Hi wadlip,

I have done exactly the same fixes as you - to no avail. Nothing works. I am surprised by a lack of response by Microsoft. In addition to not being able to update, i cannot update the definitions for Windows Defender. This issue has definitely something to do with BITS.
If i stumble over the solution, i'll post here. I have all night to find the fix

http://www.tenforums.com/windows-updates-activation/13754-settings-update-security-windows-update-does-not-load.html
Relevancy 61.92%

I somehow did something to the PERSONALIZE screen so that now when I go to it to try to change something it only stays visible for about 5 seconds, with a whirling blue circle, then goes black for 1 second and returns to the desktop.

At the bottom of that window there's a place that says SLIDE SHOW. There used to be a picture there, now there's a black screen which I think is what is causing the problem. I don't know what I did to make it a black screen there, and can't fix it because it disappears too quickly.

Any ideas?

A:Desktop personalize screen

Hello mizshay, and welcome to Eight Forums.

You could do a system restore using a restore point (if available) dated before this started to hopefully fix it.

Hope this help,
Shawn

http://www.eightforums.com/customization/22885-desktop-personalize-screen.html
Relevancy 61.92%

I have a picture on my wallpaper. With XP you could adjust it in control panel/display/desktop by clicking either stretch, tile, or center. I have Vista Ultimate and I want to tile the picture. For the life of me, I can't tile the picture. How do you tile a desktop wallpaper picture in Vista? Thanks and happy holidays.

A:Personalize desktop wallpaper

Control Panel>Under 'Personalize' select - Change Desktop Background. It's at the bottom of the page, 2nd option. Just put a dot on the option you want.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/personalize-desktop-wallpaper.663795/
Relevancy 61.92%

I am unable to change the desktop background picture to a slide show or even another picture. I can got to personalize and change it by choice but it never activates to the new choice. I have tried this through the control panel as well as just right clicking the screen/selecting personalize and making the choice but nothing works. Any advice would be appreciated. I have never run into this problem before on a windows 7 system.

A:Personalize desktop -Problem

Hello,

Take a look at the following article and attempt the steps.

Unable to change background picture in Windows 7

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f217/personalize-desktop-problem-686360.html
Relevancy 61.92%

Good afternoon, guys.

2 weeks ago, I had a wallpaper problem where my wallpaper would no longer change. I went into the Appdata folder where the old one was at (via a tutorial I found somewhere online) and I deleted it. Since then, I was able to change wallpapers. However, I still discovered that my Personalize menu was still broken.

Basically, while it still allows me to put on different wallpapers and screensavers, the Personalize menu will never change, but it will be changed on the computer. I also can no longer save themes (like a wallpaper with a window color) like I used to do a lot. It just stays the same as you can see here (I also have a screen saver on while it says "none").

Before anything, I would've done System Restore ages ago, but since it's been a few weeks so I already lost the restore points.... I screwed up, I know.

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f217/personalize-menu-broken-in-windows-7-a-661485.html
Relevancy 61.92%

I am using Vista SP1. When I right-click the Desktop - Personalize, the following windows won't open: Screen Saver, Theme, Display Settings. The others in Personalize can open.

Please help.

A:Some Vista Personalize windows won't open

Welcome
Lets try the easy things first.
System Files - SFC Command

You should update the SP, also. That can be part of the problem. SP1 is not even suported anymore.

Do you have all the updates?

http://www.vistax64.com/general-discussion/284972-some-vista-personalize-windows-wont-open.html
Relevancy 61.92%

Hi peeps.

right click on desktop > Personalize > windows color

first PC display this >
2nd PC seems to have a malfunction

How do we get PC #2 back to the first pic?

A:Simple Personalize Windows question

Hello AaLF,

Double check to make sure that you have selected an Aero theme.

Window Color and Appearance - Change

Theme - Change or Save

http://www.sevenforums.com/customization/400936-simple-personalize-windows-question.html
Relevancy 61.49%

Here is my problem with Windows Desktop Search: I have searched their help the Windows Help and Support pages, but I have not found how to search in filenames only? Every time I do a search it finds ALL FILES CONTAINING THE SEARCH CRITERIA, either in the name or contents! I only want to see those files listed that have the words I am searching for in the filename itself and NOT thos files with it in its contents.

Someone please explain what I am overlooking to this simple request.

Thanks in advance.

BTW, I'm a new forum member and I don't have displayed yet in my signature what machine or OS I'm using. So here it is:
Dell Dimension DXP051, Intel Pentium D CPU 3.00GHz 2.99 GHz, 2.00 GB Ram; Windows XP Home Ver. 2002, SP3

A:Windows Desktop Search: How to search for filenames only?

Hi, I don't know if I read your post right but have you tried typing your request in the 'all or part of the file name' box as that in theory should only display file names containing the criteria you selected? If that doesn't work you could adjust the search settings to look only in a specific place, date when file was created/modified. Apart from that there are free programs that function as Windows Vista instant search feature. I would suggest looking at CNET.com under downloads section as I don't know the name of the program off the top of my head. Hope that helps.

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/210374/windows-desktop-search-how-to-search-for-filenames-only/
Relevancy 61.06%

Okay so here's the deal I had Windows Service Pack Everything was just lovely then I decided to FINALLY upgrade to Windows 3 Windows Boot Now won't past Service Pack Load Windows load Installed Screen Service Pack because some high end Adobe products I was installing suggested it for Installed Windows Service Pack 3 Now Windows won't load past Windows Boot Load Screen better compatibility Aiesh so I took the plunge and tried to upgrade to Windows Service Pack I was smart because of all the horror stories though and did a full backup up all my data including system state etc I set a system restore point the whole nine yards I upgraded with no problems but when the computer restarted it do so got past POST and the windows boot or load screen popped up with the loading bar but windows never loaded A lot of people report having problems where it get's past the windows load screen and just keeps cycle rebooting Or it'll load to the user selection screen welcome screen This is not me I am simply stuck at the windows load screen Picture below for reference So I booted into safe mode with networking searched for help EVERYWHERE and couldn't find any - By the way I could boot into safe mode safe mode with command prompt and safe mode with networking So I used my system restore point that had made before the SP upgrade and now I am typing to you from the comfort of my Service Pack But this ticks me off because I want SP on my system for the sake of those Adobe programs and just because I can't get the dern thing on there it bugs me Does anyone have a suggestion for me as to WHAT is stopping me from have a healthy running version of Windows Service Pack I ran the Service Pack install upgrade as an Administrator in safe mode with ANY program thing that could possibly affect it not running I thought I had all my bases covered but apparently not Any help suggestions It'd be nice for all the other people out there who are having this same problem to get an answer as well P S I am running Windows XP Media Center Edition Version Service Pack hopefully SP soon

A:Installed Windows Service Pack 3 Now Windows won't load past Windows Boot Load Screen

Hi sirdanceal0t,
I had a similar problem when Windows XP SP3 was released it was only designed for Intel processors, so if you have a AMD processor it will cause your system not to load, if you are running a AMD processor if i were you try and get back to the System Restore Point or if that fails reimage your pc and just before installing SP3 looks for the patch/fix for your processor model, then install SP3 and it should all be fine.

On the other hand if you have a Intel processor i woulldn't know what to advise.

Swain90

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f10/installed-windows-service-pack-3-now-windows-wont-load-past-windows-boot-load-screen-418781.html
Relevancy 61.06%

Hello every one.. I have collection of about 1000 wallpapers and I want them to cycle randomly as my background.. the thing is when I set the wallpaper to shuffle between them it sets some of those pictures as background more often then the other.. I would like for the random system to work like it puts every of those pictures as a wallpaper once and when every one of those 1000 has been set a wallpaper once it will start over again in new random order.

I don't think I'll be able to do that in the default settings but is there some wallpaper changer that works like that??

A:Personalize -> Desktop Background -> Shuffle SUX

right click on desktop click perzonilze then there should be another tab called desktop background click that and choose all the pictures you want as a background and set how fast you want each wallpaper to change to a new one like say every 10 secs and so the picture is differnt every cyle click on the little box next to were it says shuffle then click on were it says save changes and now you should have a wallpaper on your desktop that changes randomly to what ever pics you added at a rate of what ever specified time you set it at like change every 10secs

Desktop Slideshow

http://www.sevenforums.com/customization/205115-personalize-desktop-background-shuffle-sux.html
Relevancy 61.06%

I will be sharing a computer with my husband soon and I've never had separate user desktops.

Will I be able to download programs I want onto my own desktop?

Can I personalize Firefox or will that be shared?

I know I can have my own files/documents/photos, etc. but not sure about the above.

I appreciate any feedback.

Relevancy 61.06%

Hi

I'm running Windows 7 on my laptop and I've noticed that it gets rather slow at times whenever I click on the Personalization Window. In other words, it takes forever to load. I am still able to use my system but the Personalize Window takes a long time to load ....

Please see this video for more details :

Long Loading Personalization Win 7.avi - Windows Live

Just click and save it to your desktop, take a look at it and please tell me what your thoughts are ?

My system runs smoothly the majority of the time despite only having 1 processor running @ 1.6GHz and 4GB of RAM.

Any idea on how I can speed up this loading ? Why does it do that ?

Thanks

Jordan

A:Slow Loading of Windows 7 Personalize window ?

Does your screen name refer to Jordan Rudess and John Petrucci of the best band in the world, Dream Theater?!? I'm a long time fan since 1993 and pretty much have all the guitar parts memorized. Some bass too.

Anyhow, I've watched the video. You don't have Aero running!

Click the link at the bottom of the personalize screen to troubleshoot Aero. If you have the correct driver for your card installed, it will fix it. If not, install latest video card driver. As you're using it now under this condition, it looks like Windows 95 or something heh heh.

Good luck and let us know how it goes.

http://www.sevenforums.com/performance-maintenance/38069-slow-loading-windows-7-personalize-window.html
Relevancy 61.06%

I have Averatec xp all in one pc. Seems to have some virus. I can boot my pc and gets the options to which account I want to go in. No matter which account I select, it does not load the desktop. I can go alt. ctr. del. and get the taks manager and can launch firefox or cmd. prompt from the file run menu, but unable to run the explorer.exe. I have also tried to resotre it to previous date and it does restore it, but after the re-boot, same thing no desktop. I have also done some other research on this topic and have gone through the registery keys, but no luck. Unfortunetly, I don't have the recovery disk.
Any help will be greatly appreciated.

Relevancy 61.06%

Hello all,

I am kindly requesting help from anyone who is familiar with Windows XP. I have a Dell Dimension E520 series Desktop computer. Here is what I did:

-installed 2 GB of memory into the system
-installed a graphics video card
-installed a DVD burner (with SATA)

Now, when I press the power button to turn the computer on, a black screen comes up and reads:

"This Version only supports CD-ROM or Hard Drive"

So I am guessing I have to go into BIOS to change something but am not sure. Also, the screen gives me the option to press F1/F2 for setup but when I press it on my keyboard (wireless) nothing happens.

Can anyone help with this?

Thanks!

A:Windows XP Desktop Will Not Load

The message " This version supports only Hard Disk and CDROM drives " , is the rest of that message "Please wait. This will take few seconds. " If it is, this message shows while the ICH is doing drive discovery, and checking whether any drives are assigned to RAID pairs; this is normal.

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/387214/windows-xp-desktop-will-not-load/
Relevancy 61.06%

I am using Win XP home edition with sp on an intel XP load won't Windows desktop Centrio duo laptop and the desktop won t load It only shows the background picture no icons or taskbar A cursor is visible and responsive but ctrl alt del gets no response so I have no access to the task manager It will boot in safe mode and I have a taskbar and icons I ran some virus scans in safe mode and came up with this virus quot c windows system bekalite dll detected Trojan Win Vundo IK quot Every time I tried to delete or quot repair quot the virus the program crashed I have ran virus scans using Asquared AVG and Avast and they all either crashed or said unable to move or delete virus I have also tried rolling back to a previous Windows XP desktop won't load state with system restore but I get the same results I don t know where the orginal OS disk are though I do have a copy of XP pro sp a so I was thinking I could do a repair install but I m not sure if the two are cross compatible This computer belongs to a nursing student so I need to preserve the info on it I am stuck on this one so any input would be appreciated Here is my hijack this report and an Asquared virus scan report Logfile of Trend Micro HijackThis v Scan saved at PM on Platform Windows XP SP WinNT MSIE Internet Explorer v Boot mode Safe mode with network support Running processes C WINDOWS System smss exe C WINDOWS system winlogon exe C WINDOWS system services exe C WINDOWS system lsass exe C WINDOWS system svchost exe C WINDOWS system svchost exe C WINDOWS Explorer EXE C Program Files Mozilla Firefox firefox exe C Program Files Trend Micro HijackThis HijackThis exe R - HKLM Software Microsoft Internet Explorer Main Default Page URL http go microsoft com fwlink LinkId R - HKLM Software Microsoft Internet Explorer Main Default Search URL http go microsoft com fwlink LinkId R - HKLM Software Microsoft Internet Explorer Main Search Page Windows XP desktop won't load http go microsoft com fwlink LinkId R - HKLM Software Microsoft Internet Explorer Main Start Page http go microsoft com fwlink LinkId R - HKCU Software Microsoft Internet Connection Wizard ShellNext http newsearch-online com rdr php amp sid be f b bba b f c ed amp Windows XP desktop won't load nic O - Hosts browser-security microsoft com O - Hosts best-click-scanner info O - Hosts antivirus-xp-pro- com O - Hosts microsoft infosecuritycenter com O - Hosts microsoft softwaresecurityhelp com O - Hosts onlinenotifyq net O - Hosts antivirusxp-pro- com O - Hosts microsoft browser-security-center com O - BHO Adobe PDF Reader Link Helper - E F-C D - D -B D- B D BE B - C Program Files Common Files Adobe Acrobat ActiveX AcroIEHelper dll O - BHO no name - a d -a - -af f- b ba - C WINDOWS system nanemefu dll O - BHO RealPlayer Download and Record Plugin for Internet Explorer - C E -B - BC - - C CA - C Program Files Real RealPlayer rpbrowserrecordplugin dll O - BHO WormRadar com IESiteBlocker NavFilter - CA F - F E- B -A E- E E C C - C Program Files AVG AVG avgssie dll O - BHO Java tm Plug-In SSV Helper - BB-D F - C-B EB-D DAF D D - C Program Files Java jre bin ssv dll O - BHO AOL Toolbar Launcher - C - CB - A -B F - EA C F - C Program Files AOL AOL Toolbar aoltb dll O - BHO Java tm Plug-In SSV Helper - DBC -A - b-BC - C C C A - C Program Files Java jre bin jp ssv dll O - BHO JQSIEStartDetectorImpl - E E F - CE- C -BC -EABFE F C - C Program Files Java jre lib deploy jqs ie jqs plugin dll O - Toolbar AOL Toolbar - DE C F- - A - B-AA ED D - C Program Files AOL AOL Toolbar aoltb dll O - HKLM Run IgfxTray C WINDOWS system igfxtray exe O - HKLM Run HotKeysCmds C WINDOWS system hkcmd exe O - HKLM Run Persistence C WINDOWS system igfxpers exe O - HKLM Run RTHDCPL RTHDCPL EXE O - HKLM Run SkyTel SkyTel EXE O - HKLM Run Alcmtr ALCMTR EXE O - HKLM Run AGRSMMSG AGRSMMSG exe O - HKLM Run Sidewalker C Program Files Compal Electronics INC Sidewalker CSWalker exe O - HKLM Run KTPWare C Program Files Elantech ktp exe O - HKLM Run CASS C Progr... Read more

A:Windows XP desktop won't load

Welcome to TSG

Since you can't run anything in regular mode, go ahead and run ComboFix in Safe mode.
Download Combofix from this webpage: http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/combofix/how-to-use-combofix

**Note: It is important that it is saved directly to your desktop**

--------------------------------------------------------------------

1. Close any open browsers.

2. Close/disable all anti virus and anti malware programs so they do not interfere with the running of ComboFix.

--------------------------------------------------------------------

Double click on combofix.exe & follow the prompts.
When finished, it will produce a report for you.
Please post the "C:\ComboFix.txt" along with a new HijackThis log for further review.
Note:
Do not mouseclick combofix's window while it's running. That may cause it to stall

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/windows-xp-desktop-wont-load.815603/
Relevancy 61.06%

Yesterday the power went out just for about minutes I don't know if this caused the issue or it was just a coiensidense Anyway the computer would try to boot up but everything was really slow and it wouldn't get to the desktop at all It would make it to desktop......... don't load Windows to the last load screen then would change to only a blue sreen with a movable cursor but no desktop icons I've done a dignostic Windows don't load to desktop......... test and everything was fine I did get into safe mode yesterday but was unable to get into system restore I also tried to get into system restore from the boot screen by pressing F repeatedly The other options from the boot screen works such as setup diagnostics etc but not sys restore Today after the Windows don't load to desktop......... blue boot screen appears then dissappears still can't get sys restor to run it goes to a black screen for about a minute then a white line rolls out at the bottom of Windows don't load to desktop......... the screen and says windows loading Then it loads the length of the white bar then nothing I have left the computer on all day after this happens but that is all it will do

A:Windows don't load to desktop.........

to Bleeping Computer Community M-train.

If you have your Vista installer disc, please run a startup repair to fix your windows system files. Let us know how it went.

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/539125/windows-dont-load-to-desktop/
Relevancy 61.06%

A few days ago I started my computer and it had this problem Desktop Windows not will load. What happens is it loads all the way to the point that I can see my wallpaper but does not load any of the icons or the start menu It's completely blank save for the image I have for my wallpaer I've searched high and low for someone who has had a similar problem and the only one I came across was on this site It was posted Windows Desktop will not load. about or months ago It did not have the information I needed though I canot log in to safe mode either I tried starting from last known good configuration and that worked Windows Desktop will not load. once for a few minutes but then all the icons and everything disappeard leaving only the wallpaper image I've tried a windows repair but that didn't work I also tried to use the recovery console using the instructions given by the microsoft website but they call for being able to start in safe mode and use windows explorer which cannot do Please help me I do not want to lose the things I have on the computer and I do not have the money to take it in to be professionally repaired

A:Windows Desktop will not load.

Have you messed with your registry at all? This only happened to me once, but that was after I tried to change my user profile to a different partition; however, it only happened on one profile. Have you tried logging into other users?

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f10/windows-desktop-will-not-load-169151.html
Relevancy 61.06%

Hello,

just now I am having this problem with my laptop here.

Whenever I start,it does the usual windows sign,but then its black screen.I can hear starting music but a black screen.My login is set to auto,so no point showing the login screen as well.

Last night it was working perfect,have not done anything unusual,not downloaded any software or torrent,yet the problem is here.Mind you I am writing this on safe mode..seems as though it loads perfectly well on safe mode.

I did the windows repair thingy,but still black screen and no background music this time.I really have no idea what is going on but I really am scared now

A:windows desktop will not load

There may be a problem with your Explorer.exe. Have a look at this how to fix it: Troubleshooting Explorer.exe Crashing Issues

http://www.sevenforums.com/general-discussion/207717-windows-desktop-will-not-load.html
Relevancy 60.63%

I recently did an unusually long Windows update that took about an hour in total, and once my computer was running again, Windows gadgets said "Windows Desktop Gadgets has stopped working" and then I tried to open Skype which also said "Skype has stopped working". I tried updating Java, a second Windows update, uninstalling and reinstalling Skype, advanced uninstalling Skype and reinstalling, but nothing I'm doing seems to be having any effect. I'm completely out of ideas, and was hoping someone could help me to solve this?

A:After Windows update Skype and Windows Desktop Gadgets no longer run.

Bump. This is at 100 views with no one offering any advice. I'm really stuck here, I've exhausted everything that I know how to do to fix faulty computers. I would really appreciate any advice. Thank you in advance.

http://www.sevenforums.com/software/283573-after-windows-update-skype-windows-desktop-gadgets-no-longer-run.html
Relevancy 60.63%

Windows Update was working fine until earlier this month, when it suddenly started displaying the mentioned error code.

Have tried running the FixIt tool from Microsoft to reset Windows Update components, but it cannot repair the Windows Update error.

Tried running SURT, but it gave a message about not being able to install hotfix.

SFC /SCANNOW cannot run.

Attached screenshots and log folder.

A:Windows Update error 8008005 on search and update

Have you tried a start up repair from the install disk?

http://www.sevenforums.com/windows-updates-activation/343310-windows-update-error-8008005-search-update.html
Relevancy 60.63%

So I wanted to change my desktop wallpaper but then my Personalize window won't open. Same goes with Screen resolution.

When I right click on my desktop and click Personalize or Screen resolution option, a message pops up that says this..

I think my files are corrupted. Your help would be much appreciated.

A:Personalize & Screen Resolution error. Windows cannot find

Hello Boey, and welcome to Eight Forums.

Let's start with using OPTION TWO in both of the tutorials below to add "Screen resolution" and "Personalize" to your desktop context menu. These will also restore the default registry entries for these two items that will hopefully sort this for you.

Screen Resolution - Add or Remove from Desktop Context Menu - Windows 7 Help Forums

Personalize - Add or Remove from Desktop Context Menu - Windows 7 Help Forums

If not, then you could do a system restore using a restore point dated before this happened to undo and fix it.

Hope this helps for now,
Shawn

http://www.eightforums.com/customization/54003-personalize-screen-resolution-error-windows-cannot-find.html
Relevancy 60.63%

This is apparently exactly the the same problem as the old WinXP issue relating to quot normal fonts DPI quot vs quot large fonts DPI quot except that Microsoft now refers to it as quot medium quot in the Personalize - gt Display font size customization dialog The problem is that if the application has drawn its window to be FIXED-SIZE as opposed to re-sizable using the lower-right-corner quot pull quot control and does not also provide scroll-bars in case the fixed window size is too small to show everything when customizing font size to be larger than Windows apparently only grows the windows size 125%: wrong Personalize->font drawn HORIZONTAL size of the window but does not also grow the window in the VERTICAL dimension The result is often to simply chop off the lower content of a window Personalize->font size 125%: windows drawn wrong as intended to be drawn by the application I have just run into this with a Sirius Player Internet Radio application named Stream ON Here is the player window at font size showing everything it should And here is the same player window at font size Note the loss of the entire lower portion of the expected content and application controls In fact the window is x whereas the window is x Sure the application has drawn the window as FIXED and non-resizable But if Win is going to widen the window by why doesn't it also increase the vertical size of the window by Seems like the blame should be shared both by the application developer for writing an app that is not DPI-aware and also for Microsoft for not growing the window quot overall by in both directions quot Again this is not a problem new or unique to Win as it's been around for at least years in both Win as well as WinXP both of which supported quot large fonts DPI quot customization Very annoying to see this carried forward into Win as well Win Pro X ATI HD Catalyst

A:Personalize->font size 125%: windows drawn wrong

And, it is the fault of who again, oh yeah Microsoft, they should have known better, they should have predicted that some third party software maker would not take this subject matter into consideration.

Just a personal thought. . .that darn Microsoft is up to it again. . .

http://www.sevenforums.com/general-discussion/55932-personalize-font-size-125-windows-drawn-wrong.html
Relevancy 60.2%

Hello guys,

I've encountered a new issue with Windows Update. All of the previous updates have vanished, I couldn't search for new updates, and even though the troubleshooter says it has resolved all issues, I still couldn't search for any new updates.

Because of this, I am unable to update to Windows 8.1. I appreciate your help asap! Thank you.

I'm using Windows 8 (64-bit) on an Acer laptop.

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/562013/windows-update-could-not-search-for-updates-windows-8/
Relevancy 60.2%

Windows Update Won't Load--gets error-"This page failed to load". My system=32 bit operating system which is Vista Ultimate.

A:Windows Update Won't Load--gets error-"This page failed to load"

Hello sgibbins,
Try here, people have had some good results doing this. please post your results. Good luck.

JSI Tip 2805. Windows Update 'Cannot Display Page'?

http://www.vistax64.com/windows-updates/231313-windows-update-wont-load-gets-error-page-failed-load.html
Relevancy 60.2%

So before i'd just watch windows start.....the screen with the fogged out blue windows background and my Circular icon show for a few seconds, then I'm automatically in.

Now 3 months after upgraded to 10, instead of that smooth logon, it takes me to a damn Environmental background (beaches, forests and such, it keeps changing) then I have to click it.....then it bring me to Sign-in.....then i have to click that. It's like a whole damn process when all I want it to do is startup and load to desktop without having to click through menus. Does anyone know how to disable this and I already did the netplwiz thing and unchecked Users must enter name and password.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/windows-wont-load-to-desktop-anymore.1163792/
Relevancy 60.2%

I ll give you the background to this problem I recently installed CCleaner and cleaned my registry I also disabled rundll exe because I thought it was something bad It was located on C WINNT System And then since I had installed Firefox and Internet Explorer had a spyware or adware I removed it and desktop windows load! won't My 2000 HELP! had the option of rolling back to an earlier version I had to restart my My windows 2000 desktop won't load! HELP! computer and when I did I got the message quot explorer exe has generated a problem and needs to close quot quot An error log has been created quot I ran CCLeaner through Task Manager and enabled rundll but that didn t help when I restarted I am running a WIN that was downgraded from WIN XP because of hard drive failure It is a different Hard Drive than before Any other info just ask Thanks for looking at my thread and hope someone can help And Safe Mode won t load up either and Last Known Good Configuration didn t solve the problem And I don t have the Windows CD since the guy who fixed my computer installed it nbsp

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/my-windows-2000-desktop-wont-load-help.765368/
Relevancy 60.2%

Hi all,
I've been having start-up problems. Whenever I put on my laptop, it loads to the place where I put in my password and doesn't load the desktop. It simply displays a dark/black screen with my cursor only. I have to keep forcing a shutdown and rebooting hoping my desktop will load. Meaning once it gets to my user account screen and I put in my password, it attempts to load me into the desktop screen but I end up with my cursor and a blank screen. But in safemode, the desktop loads alright. Any suggestions please?

A:my windows desktop doesn't load.

Quote: Originally Posted by Donmoj

Hi all,
I've been having start-up problems. Whenever I put on my laptop, it loads to the place where I put in my password and doesn't load the desktop. It simply displays a dark/black screen with my cursor only. I have to keep forcing a shutdown and rebooting hoping my desktop will load. Meaning once it gets to my user account screen and I put in my password, it attempts to load me into the desktop screen but I end up with my cursor and a blank screen. But in safemode, the desktop loads alright. Any suggestions please?

looks like the user profile settings are amiss. I would first try a system restore to see if you can get it back to operating normally. Click start, go to accessories; then to system tools; then to system restore and see what the most recent restore point is before this started happening and i would tell it to restore back to that point. (i hope im on the right path here with this answer)

http://www.sevenforums.com/general-discussion/316415-my-windows-desktop-doesnt-load.html
Relevancy 60.2%

I did an Automatic Windows Update, restarted, and my Desktop was black, all my shortcuts were gone, the windows and toolbar were from Windows 98, and I could not access any programs or files.

I restarted again, and now my desktop is back with all my files and programs, I can use the internet, but I cannot change the toolbar or windows back to Aero.

I tried to troubleshoot and I attached the screenshot below.

Something like this happened to me before with the update. I wish they would stop screwing me over with this bs.

Please help.

A:Windows update screwed up my desktop, Windows 98 toolbar

Something is wrong if you are getting burned with updates. Never once in my life did I or other people I know get burned by a Microsoft update like this, and I used windows me. Not saying it cannot happen, its just I suspect something else is wrong with your computer.

So lets find out whats going on here. Most people that have problems with windows is mostly caused due to poorly written programs by 3rd parties.

1.) What programs do you have running at startup?
2.)You may have programs running at startup that is causing this issue. Please see this tutorial to temporary disable them and see if the issue is resolved:

Troubleshoot Application Conflicts by Performing a Clean Startup

3.) What security software do you use?

4.) Download the latest video driver for your laptop from here:

http://global-download.acer.com/GDFi...C=ACER&SC=PA_6

5.) Please Run sfc /scan now using option 2 in this tutorial: SFC /SCANNOW Command - System File Checker

Please post back the results.
Please indicate what message was displayed at the end:

Windows found no integrity violations

OR

Corrupt files were found, and windows was unable to fix them.

OR

Corrupt files were found, and windows successfully repaired them

6.) You can do a System Restore back to a point before this issue. But this is only a quick fix, we would need to find the real cause.
Any questions just ask

http://www.sevenforums.com/general-discussion/334758-windows-update-screwed-up-my-desktop-windows-98-toolbar.html
Relevancy 60.2%

Hi Windows Update installed important updates yesterday I also uninstalled all instances of SQL Server from my machine Windows update copy of not a Windows This desktop is on genuine after I just noticed the quot Windows Build This copy of Windows is not genuine quot message on the desktop tonight Below is the requested information from MGA Diagnostic Tool Any help is greatly appreciated Code Diagnostic Report ----------------------------------------- Windows Validation Data-- gt Validation Code x FE Cached Online Validation This copy of Windows is not genuine on desktop after a Windows update Code N A hr x Windows Product Key - -WJ H -R B D- QJB Windows Product Key Hash ckKNc BBPDWmo LUlOkraNjlQ Windows Product ID -OEM- - Windows Product ID Type Windows License Type OEM SLP Windows This copy of Windows is not genuine on desktop after a Windows update OS version ID A F -D - F- C -C C F A Is Admin Yes TestCab x LegitcheckControl ActiveX N A hr x Signed By N A hr x Product Name Windows Home Premium Architecture x Build lab win sp gdr - TTS Error Validation Diagnostic Resolution This copy of Windows is not genuine on desktop after a Windows update Status N A Vista WgaER Data-- gt ThreatID s N A hr x Version N A hr x Windows XP Notifications Data-- gt Cached Result N A hr x File Exists No Version N A hr x WgaTray exe Signed By N A hr x WgaLogon dll Signed By N A hr x OGA Notifications Data-- gt Cached Result N A hr x Version N A hr x OGAExec exe Signed By N A hr x OGAAddin dll Signed By N A hr x OGA Data-- gt Office Status N A OGA Version N A x Signed By N A hr x Office Diagnostics B D AA B- - B D AA B- - D FF - - D FF - - D FF - - D FF - - D FF - - D FF - - D FF - - D FF - - Browser Data-- gt Proxy settings User Agent Mozilla compatible MSIE Win Default Browser C Users Alan AppData Local Google Chrome Application chrome exe Download signed ActiveX controls Prompt Download unsigned ActiveX controls Disabled Run ActiveX controls and plug-ins Allowed Initialize and script ActiveX controls not marked as safe Disabled Allow scripting of Internet Explorer Webbrowser control Disabled Active scripting Allowed Script ActiveX controls marked as safe for scripting Allowed File Scan Data-- gt Other data-- gt Office Details lt GenuineResults gt lt MachineData gt lt UGUID gt A F -D - F- C -C C F A lt UGUID gt lt Version gt lt Version gt lt OS gt lt OS gt lt Architecture gt x lt Architecture gt lt PKey gt - - - - QJB lt PKey gt lt PID gt -OEM- - lt PID gt lt PIDType gt lt PIDType gt lt SID gt S- - - - - - lt SID gt lt SYSTEM gt lt Manufacturer gt eMachines lt Manufacturer gt lt Model gt eMachines E lt Model gt lt SYSTEM gt lt BIOS gt lt Manufacturer gt eMachines lt Manufacturer gt lt Version gt V lt Version gt lt SMBIOSVersion major quot quot minor quot quot gt lt Date gt lt Date gt lt BIOS gt lt HWID gt AB B FE lt HWID gt lt UserLCID gt lt UserLCID gt lt SystemLCID gt lt SystemLCID gt lt TimeZone gt Central Standard Time GMT- lt TimeZone gt lt iJoin gt lt iJoin gt lt SBID gt lt stat gt lt stat gt lt msppid gt lt msppid gt lt name gt lt name gt lt model gt lt model gt lt SBID gt lt OEM gt lt OEMID gt ACRSYS lt OEMID gt lt OEMTableID gt ACRPRDCT lt OEMTableID gt lt OEM gt lt GANotification gt lt MachineData gt lt Software gt lt Office gt lt Result gt lt Result gt lt Products gt lt Applications gt lt Office gt lt Software gt lt GenuineResults gt Spsys log Content x Licensing Data-- gt On a computer running Microsoft Windows non-core edition run 'slui exe x a x ' to display the error text Error x Windows Activation Technologies-- gt HrOffline x FE HrOnline N A HealthStatus x Event Time Stamp ActiveX Registered Version Admin Service Registered Version HealthStatus Bitmask Output Tampered Service sppsvc HWID Data-- gt HWID Hash Current MgAAAAIAAgABAAEAAQABAAAAAgABAAEA GFszE BFU aAe J oMt INMs DQfeKo OEM Activation Data-- gt N A OEM Activation Data-- gt BIOS valid for OA yes Windows marker version x OEMID and OEMTableID Consistent yes BIOS Informatio... Read more

A:This copy of Windows is not genuine on desktop after a Windows update

Please open an Elevated Command prompt, and run the following commands...

NET START SPLDR
NET START SPPSVC
NET START SPPUINOTIFY

post the results.

Here are some instructions to make life easier
1) To open an Elevated Command Prompt Window (the ECP window), click on Start, All Programs, Accessories – then right-click on Command Prompt, and select Run as Administrator. Accept the UAC prompt.
2) To run the commands easier, highlight the block of commands, and right-click on the highlight – select Copy. In the CP Window, click on the black/white icon at top left – select Paste. The commands will run but may not complete the last command, so hit the Enter Key once.
3) To copy the results... click on the Black/White icon in the top left, and select Edit... 'Select All', and hit the Enter key - then use Ctrl+V or r-click+Paste to paste it into your response.

http://www.sevenforums.com/windows-updates-activation/269190-copy-windows-not-genuine-desktop-after-windows-update.html
Relevancy 59.77%

Hi, I was sent here by Chemist who was a great help in spyware removal. I just have a windows update that tries to load on shutdown, but fails every time. How can I get the update information to you? I am a techie rating of about 3 out of 10, but I try to follow innstructions. Thanks. :)

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f217/windows-wont-load-update-1101802.html
Relevancy 59.77%

After reading about windows updates, I went in to check windows update. When I select WU all I see is some grey/blue dots going across the top of the screen. I tried the troubleshooter and windows reset for the update, but no changes. I contacted the windows community but instruction for submittine some logs was incorrect.One is attached.

http://www.tenforums.com/windows-updates-activation/66901-windows-update-will-not-load.html
Relevancy 59.77%

For over a week, when I start my laptop, it seems to start normally, then I get a screen that says "updates could not load and changes are being undone, don't turn off my computer'.  Does anyone know what is going on?  I am using Windows 8.1.

I have Panda Security, and Anti Super Spyware, both paid for.  I just got rid of Win Patrol free, although I have used it on my old laptop without problems.  I have not purchased or downloaded any other programs.

Any ideas how I can find out what is going on?

A:Windows update won't load.

I'm just offering some advice. I'm not a Computer expert, just so you know

I had this issue on 2 different PCs, both with Windows 8.1.
It would force me into updates, and then say that the updates were unsuccessful and that it is undoing the changes.
It stayed in a restart loop of 'undoing changes' until I went into Safe Mode (using Shift + F8) and did a System Restore.
I have now changed the settings on BOTH computers to not automatically install update. I don't need that kind of trouble! LOL

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/570988/windows-update-wont-load/
Relevancy 59.77%

Windows XP Professional IE SP This workstation had been hit with a virus and malware had been installed Cleaned the virus off with Trendmicro and using AdAware SE to clean up the malware Now Windows update will not load IE opens but the window remains white PC is configured to receive Microsoft updates from our Software update server but can t verify the updates because Windows Windows not load will Update Update will not come up IE will browse to other web sites Ran HijackThis The log is below Windows Update will not load Any help you can offer will be greatly appreciated Logfile of HijackThis v Scan saved at AM on Platform Windows XP SP WinNT MSIE Internet Explorer v SP Running processes C WINDOWS system ntvdm exe C WINDOWS Explorer EXE C Program Files Roxio Easy CD Creator DirectCD DirectCD exe C WINDOWS System NWTRAY EXE C Program Files Trend Micro OfficeScan Client pccntmon exe C Program Files Winamp Winampa exe C WINDOWS System ctfmon exe C Program Files Adobe Acrobat Distillr AcroTray exe C Program Files Conversions Plus MacName exe C Program Files WinZip WZQKPICK Windows Update will not load EXE C WINDOWS Windows Update will not load System NALWIN EXE C Temp hijackthis HijackThis exe R - HKCU Software Microsoft Internet Explorer SearchURL http www popupsearches com sidesearch html R - HKCU Software Microsoft Internet Explorer Main Default Page URL http smbusiness dellnet com R - HKCU Software Microsoft Internet Explorer Main Start Page http www capcitypress com R - HKCU Software Microsoft Internet Explorer Search SearchAssistant http www popupsearches com sidesearch html R - Default URLSearchHook is missing N - Netscape user pref quot browser startup homepage quot quot http www genetics org quot C Documents and Settings csumner Application Data Mozilla Profiles default yyz ysd slt prefs js N - Netscape user pref quot browser search defaultengine quot quot engine C A CProgram Files CNetscape CNetscape Csearchplugins CSBWeb src quot C Documents and Settings csumner Application Data Mozilla Profiles default yyz ysd slt prefs js O - BHO Ipswitch WsftpBrowserHelper - ED -FB C- D - D - DA B - C PROGRA WS FTP wsbho k dll O - Toolbar amp Radio - E - F- D - E- A C - C WINDOWS System msdxm ocx O - HKLM Run AdaptecDirectCD quot C Program Files Roxio Easy CD Creator DirectCD DirectCD exe quot O - HKLM Run NWTRAY NWTRAY EXE O - HKLM Run MacLicense quot C Program Files Conversions Plus MacLic exe quot O - HKLM Run OfficeScanNT Monitor quot C Program Files Trend Micro OfficeScan Client pccntmon exe quot -HideWindow O - HKLM Run WinampAgent quot C Program Files Winamp Winampa exe quot O - HKCU Run ctfmon exe C WINDOWS System ctfmon exe O - Global Startup Acrobat Assistant lnk C Program Files Adobe Acrobat Distillr AcroTray exe O - Global Startup MacName lnk C Program Files Conversions Plus MacName exe O - Global Startup WinZip Quick Pick lnk C Program Files WinZip WZQKPICK EXE O - Extra context menu item E amp xport to Microsoft Excel - res C PROGRA MICROS Office EXCEL EXE O - DPF B-B - D-A D -FCFDF E C WUWebControl Class - http v windowsupdate microsoft c ls en x client wuweb site cab O - Filter text html - FB-C - - - D F E - C WINDOWS isrvs mfiltis dll O - Winlogon Notify igfxcui - C WINDOWS SYSTEM igfxsrvc dll O - Service ASF Agent ASFAgent - Intel Corporation - C Program Files Intel ASF Agent ASFAgent exe O - Service Ipswitch WS FTP Queue ftpqueue - Ipswitch Inc Hartwell Ave Lexington MA - C Program Files WS FTP Pro ftpsched exe O - Service MacFormatService - Unknown owner - C Program Files Conversions Plus FORMATM EXE quot SERVICE file missing O - Service Novell Application Launcher NALNTSERVICE - Novell Inc - C WINDOWS System NALNTSRV EXE O - Service Intel R NMS NMSSvc - Intel Corporation - C WINDOWS System NMSSvc exe O - Service OfficeScanNT RealTime Scan ntrtscan - Trend Micro Inc - C Program Files Trend Micro OfficeScan Client ntrtscan exe O - Service OfficeScanNT Listener tmlisten - Unknown owner - C Program Files Trend Micr... Read more

A:Windows Update will not load

You have been hit by the new Bube.d (aka Win32.Beavis) virus which severely messes with some Windows settings,including the update feature.

Save the BOLD to notepad,as Fix.reg as"Type" all files

=====================================

Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

[-HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Group Policy Objects\LocalUser\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies\WindowsUpdate\DisableWindowsUpdateAccess]

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies\Explorer]
"NoWindowsUpdate"=dword:00000000

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies\Explorer]

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Policies\Microsoft\Windows\WindowsUpdate\AU]
"NoAutoUpdate"=dword:00000000
"AUOptions"=dword:00000000

[-HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Policies\Microsoft\Windows\WindowsUpdate]
[-HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies\WindowsUpdate]

[-HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies\Explorer]
"NoDevMgrUpdate"=dword:00000000

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main]
"NoUpdateCheck"=dword:00000000

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies\WindowsUpdate]
"DisableWindowsUpdateAccess"=dword:00000000

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies\Explorer]
========================================

Double click Fix.reg and answer "yes" to merge into the registry.

========================================

I have doubts that Trend will have removed the virus totally and chances are it will be back........this link will give detailed instructions for complete removal and any specific fixes you need to do afterwards.
http://forums.subratam.org/index.php?showtopic=3466
You will need to disable your own A/V program and download KAV 30 day trial.

Please dont post to that thread,when completed,post back here with an updated HijackThis log.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/windows-update-will-not-load.343876/
Relevancy 59.77%

Not quite certain where to place this.

sometimes in the past 7-10 days when I go to change my computer's desktop background picture, I see only the Irfanview icon, not the picture.

I haven't updated Irfanview, I have the latest version.

No updates to my computer until today, so it couldn't be that.

Windows Explorer is set to Large Icons. I changed it to all the available sizes, still no picture, just the icon.

Just to make sure the pictures weren't refreshing. I found a folder with just 3 pngs. I did all of the icon sizes, no picture thumbnail shows.

What could be wrong and how do I fix it ?

Thank you.

A:personalize, desktop background no longer showing pictures

Hello Jim,

It sounds like Windows Photo Gallery is not set as the default program for all of it's associations.

Default Programs - Program Default Associations

Hope this helps,
Shawn

http://www.vistax64.com/general-discussion/297497-personalize-desktop-background-no-longer-showing-pictures.html
Relevancy 59.77%

Hello I get the following message since yesterday unable Windows config file. Search Deskbar its load to is when launching Windows XP SP like I normally do There was never a problem with this before This message appears after the Windows XP Windows Search Deskbar is unable to load its config file. desktop loads I got this message after trying to search for the first time a recently within the last weeks installed Windows Office program I was using MS Outlook when the download of MS Windows Search Deskbar was requested by the program I followed the instructions with no problems The below message began soon afterwards I wonder what I may have done to cause this I followed the directions in the message below but it does not resolve the problem Windows Search Deskbar is unable to load its config file If you have recently Windows Search Deskbar is unable to load its config file. upgraded to a newer version of Windows Search and have not restarted your system Windows Search Deskbar is unable to load its config file. since the upgrade please try restarting your system If the problem persists please reinstall Windows Search Any help or suggestions is appreciated Thanks Farley

A:Windows Search Deskbar is unable to load its config file.

Apparently the UPDATE causes lots of issues.

The best recommendation I have come across is to try an uninstall of the latest version and see if you get back to the old one OK.

Please refer to the post by Dave Wood about 1/5 way down here -> http://social.msdn.microsoft.com/For...8-d7b010be8d10

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f10/windows-search-deskbar-is-unable-to-load-its-config-file-535444.html
Relevancy 59.77%

Hi I have a problem when I make a google search I get the results page but none of the links load I can sign in to windows live messenger but my inbox doesn't load when I click it's icon The following is my Hijackthis log file and Google Inbox Load Live Can't and Windows Results Search I Can't Load Google Search Results and Windows Live Inbox hope you will notice if there is a trojan or any kind of virus on my PC I run Windows XP SP and a wired Internet Connection Logfile of Trend Micro HijackThis v Scan saved at AM on Platform Windows XP SP WinNT MSIE Internet Explorer v SP Can't Load Google Search Results and Windows Live Inbox Boot mode Normal Running processes C WINDOWS System smss exe C WINDOWS system winlogon exe C WINDOWS system services exe C WINDOWS system lsass exe C WINDOWS system svchost exe C WINDOWS System svchost exe C Program Files Common Files Symantec Shared ccSetMgr exe C Program Files Common Files Symantec Shared ccEvtMgr exe C WINDOWS system spoolsv exe C WINDOWS Explorer EXE C WINDOWS system igfxtray exe C WINDOWS system hkcmd exe C WINDOWS system igfxpers exe C WINDOWS system igfxsrvc exe C WINDOWS RTHDCPL EXE C Program Files Common Files Real Update OB realsched exe C Program Files QuickTime qttask exe C Program Files Microsoft Office Office GrooveMonitor exe C Program Files CyberLink PowerDVD PDVDServ exe C Program Files Common Files Symantec Shared ccApp exe C PROGRA SYMANT VPTray exe C Program Files Hewlett-Packard HP Software Update HPWuSchd exe C Program Files Java jre bin jusched exe C Program Files HP hpcoretech hpcmpmgr exe C WINDOWS system spool drivers w x hpztsb exe C WINDOWS system ctfmon exe C Program Files MSN Messenger MsnMsgr Exe C Program Files Messenger msmsgs exe C Program Files Symantec AntiVirus DefWatch exe C Program Files Common Files Microsoft Shared VS DEBUG mdm exe C WINDOWS system svchost exe C WINDOWS system svchost exe C Program Files Symantec AntiVirus Rtvscan exe C WINDOWS system wscntfy exe C WINDOWS System svchost exe C Program Files Java jre bin jucheck exe C Program Files Trend Micro HijackThis HijackThis exe R - HKCU Software Microsoft Windows CurrentVersion Internet Settings ProxyServer http localhost O - BHO AcroIEHlprObj Class - E F-C D - D -B D- B D BE B - C Program Files Adobe Acrobat Reader ActiveX AcroIEHelper ocx O - BHO Groove GFS Browser Helper - - C - D -B F - BBC D A E - C PROGRA MICROS Office GRA E DLL O - BHO SSVHelper Class - BB-D F - C-B EB-D DAF D D - C Program Files Java jre bin ssv dll O - BHO no name - E D - A- EC-A -BA D E E - no file O - BHO Windows Live Sign-in Helper - D - C - ABF- ECC- C - C Program Files Common Files Microsoft Shared Windows Live WindowsLiveLogin dll O - HKLM Run IgfxTray C WINDOWS system igfxtray exe O - HKLM Run HotKeysCmds C WINDOWS system hkcmd exe O - HKLM Run Persistence C WINDOWS system igfxpers exe O - HKLM Run RTHDCPL RTHDCPL EXE O - HKLM Run Alcmtr ALCMTR EXE O - HKLM Run TkBellExe quot C Program Files Common Files Real Update OB realsched exe quot -osboot O - HKLM Run QuickTime Task quot C Program Files QuickTime qttask exe quot -atboottime O - HKLM Run GrooveMonitor quot C Program Files Microsoft Office Office GrooveMonitor exe quot O - HKLM Run RemoteControl quot C Program Files CyberLink PowerDVD PDVDServ exe quot O - HKLM Run NeroFilterCheck C WINDOWS system NeroCheck exe O - HKLM Run ccApp quot C Program Files Common Files Symantec Shared ccApp exe quot O - HKLM Run vptray C PROGRA SYMANT VPTray exe O - HKLM Run HP Software Update quot C Program Files Hewlett-Packard HP Software Update HPWuSchd exe quot O - HKLM Run SunJavaUpdateSched quot C Program Files Java jre bin jusched exe quot O - HKLM Run HP Component Manager quot C Program Files HP hpcoretech hpcmpmgr exe quot O - HKLM Run HPDJ Taskbar Utility C WINDOWS system spool drivers w x hpztsb exe O - HKCU Run ctfmon exe C WINDOWS system ctfmon exe O - HKCU Run MsnMsgr quot C Program Files MSN Messenger MsnMsgr Exe quot background O - HKCU Run MSM... Read more

A:Can't Load Google Search Results and Windows Live Inbox

Hello mike_l,Download the HostsXpert Herehttp://www.funkytoad.com/download/HostsXpert.zipUnzip HostsXpert to your desktopOpen up the HostsXpert program. * Make sure that the "make hosts writable?" button in the upper left corner is enabled. * Click back up Host files * then click "Restore MS Hosts File" * close programThis tool is not a toy. If used the wrong way you could trash your computer. Please use only under direction of a Helper. If you decide to do so anyway, please do not blame me or ComboFix.1. Download this file - combofix.exe http://download.bleepingcomputer.com/sUBs/ComboFix.exe http://www.forospyware.com/sUBs/ComboFix.exe http://subs.geekstogo.com/ComboFix.exe2. Double click combofix.exe & follow the prompts.3. When finished, it will produce a log for you. Post that log in your next reply please, along with a new HijackThis log.Note:Do not mouseclick combofix's window while it's running. That may cause it to stall.Thanks,tea

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/204991/cant-load-google-search-results-and-windows-live-inbox/
Relevancy 59.77%

Hi,

I know this is similar to couple of posts which were posted before but still this issue is different. I have windows xp OS and whenever i boot my computer....only the desktop image comes up. The desktop icons, windows bar, task bar.....flicker initially but finally nothing else comes up. When i open the Task Manager and try to run explorer.exe...it does not work. I am not sure what to do or how to solve this issue. I tried to run the windows safe mode...safe mode with command prompt...last good configuration settings..nothing works!! Any ideas how to resolve this? This started happening all of a sudden today and till yesterday it was working fine!!! Not sure even if i try to run some utility...how i would do it since nothing's working!!

This is a dell laptop and i am not having any windows XP cd.

THanks in advance.
Adi...

A:Not able to load Desktop icons/task bar/windows bar

Also i am not able to execute/run any file or command from Task Manager->File->New Task(Run) option.....whether its regedit or running of any vbs/exe which couple of ppl have asked to resolve these kinds of issues. Also not able to run any antivirus as well.... :-( Any help would be appreciated...

THanks,
Adi...

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/not-able-to-load-desktop-icons-task-bar-windows-bar.823810/
Relevancy 59.77%

Hi all

I am having a persistent problem with Windows 10 that I need help with

Just about every computer start takes two attempts to complete, the first start fails to load any desktop icons and just sits there with a spinning progress icon and nothing can be started. I have to do a Control/Alt/delete and select restart, which it does and then that time it all starts ok with no other issues all day long.

Anyone know how to fix this.

Thanks for any help

Paul

http://www.tenforums.com/general-discussion/39677-windows-10-fails-load-desktop-icons.html
Relevancy 59.77%

Please help I've run out of to slow OS PC extremely and use load (Windows Desktop 10) ideas I have an Acer Aspire X owned since new and never opened which recently began to take for ever to load the OS Windows which was working perfectly and then use once loaded I have tried the following Reset the BIOS to default settings also physically clearing CMOS with the jump pins Also changed the CR battery with a new one Still extremely slow Replaced both RAM sticks two channels with new sticks Still extremely Desktop PC extremely slow to load OS and use (Windows 10) slow Replaced the hard drive with a brand new one loaded Windows then Windows a free download which went perfectly but took days Still extremely slow Replaced the PSU with a brand new one Still extremely slow Removed motherboard from case bread-boarded it without any drives Played with all sorts of RAM combinations and it seems to work perfectly on every boot But as soon as I add the new hard drive above the whole thing goes EXTREMELY slow again Tried SATA instead of SATA port and a new cable Still extremely slow I have no idea what has happened but its driving me nuts Can anybody give me any new ideas I am not sure that the BIOS defaults settings are actually the correct ones for example Are there any BIOS settings which may cause this extreme slowness Can bust motherboards do this with such consistency Its just a bog-standard TB SATA drive Thanks Charles Desktop PC extremely slow to load OS and use (Windows 10)

http://www.pchelpforum.com/pc-hardware/129186-desktop-pc-extremely-slow-load-os-use-windows-10-a.html
Relevancy 59.77%

The computer is an HP Pavilion 724C with Windows xp Home edition, and McAfee Security (from Comcast).
When I start the PC, Windows starts as usual and gets to the choose User screen okay, but after the welcome screen (loading your Personal settings), the desktop background appears but no Icons or Start button or taskbar.

I'm unsure of what I did to cause this problem and I'm not very savvy on computers but you folks helped me out a while ago with a spyware problem, so I thought I'd try again before I give up and call HP or Microsoft.

Any and all help will be much appreciated

A:windows desktop doesnt load at start up

It's posssible that you could have a corrupt user profile.
Try this:
Boot into safe mode OR if you have more than one user account, try another desktop.
Start Menu/All Programs/Accessories.
System Tools/System Restore.
Choose a restore point just prior to when the issue began.

Your system will reboot, only after rebooting and getting on a desktop will you find out if the restore is successful.

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/232734/windows-desktop-doesnt-load-at-start-up/
Relevancy 59.77%

I have an Acer Aspire laptop running Vista with an Intel Celeron all load won't explorer windows freezes/desktop less than a year old Recently when I try to boot my computer it is taking a windows explorer freezes/desktop won't load long time at the green progress bar screen and then again at the welcome screen When I get to the desktop there s a black screen instead of a desktop background and nothing will load No taskbar application tray no icons nothing Can t use start menu anytime I move the mouse to that vicinity I get the little blue circle None of the applications that used to boot come up zip The only literally only thing I am being allowed to windows explorer freezes/desktop won't load do is to use ctrl alt delete Many restarts and log-offs have done nothing I have tried cancelling and then reloading explorer exe in task manager and it does the same thing I have run various virus scans and spybot scans and nothing has changed no problems found I have tried system restore but when I tried it failed and then when I went to try again it had somehow erased all my restore points The computer did this a week ago and system restore fixed it and it seemed fine restarting booting since then but now the problem is back I didn t even restart just came downstairs today to find coming back from the screensaver that it was at this screen from when the updater must have restarted the computer As I said there was a Windows Update last night could that have caused this Again all the Windows diagnostic tools chkdsk memory scan startup problems scan have found nothing I have even tried changing boot settings in msconfig and its made no difference Reformatting isn t an option I have no way right now to back up my mp s and thousands of photos not to mention vital Word documents And the problem is not with the shell entry for explorer exe under Windows NT nothing has been altered there I have tried everything and am at the end of my rope Please someone help me I don t know what to do Also I should note there is NO problem whatsoever in safe mode Thanks in advance Zach nbsp

Relevancy 59.77%

My windows 7 PC sometimes stuck after load to desktop. Then it reboot in SAFE MODE & create a new use account & then reboot in normal mode with new account after about 5 minutes it boot up normal.
Then using SWITCH USER option log in to previous user account. Then works fine for few days & again stuck on desktop and have to follow above steps.
Virus guard installed & updated.
Please help me to solve that issue without formatting PC.
Thanks.

http://forums.windowscentral.com/ask-question/440920-windows-7-stuck-when-booting-after-desktop-load.html
Relevancy 59.77%

I installed the Windows download last night and everything seemed to go smoothly until the log-in screen came up I logged in with my password hit enter - got the welcome and it transitioned to a black screen with no icons no background no task bar The cursor is active and movable left and right clicks do nothing The only thing that shows is not load log-in; screen will just Windows 10 desktop a after black my Windows 10 will not load desktop after log-in; just a black screen Comodo Secure notification box in the top right-hand corner I've attempted to by shutdown and restarting Windows 10 will not load desktop after log-in; just a black screen to get to a desktop without success I then tried a Safe Mode start by waiting for the log-in page holding Shift and using the power icon at the bottom of the log-in page to restart I was successful at first Was able to do a reset and re-install windows my desktop came up and I thought all was good But when I restarted after downloading my Chrome browser which had been removed during the reset reinstall the same thing happened - after log-in no desktop icons etc I was going to do a Safe Mode again but the log-in page now has only two icons at the bottom instead of three Originally there was a connect to the internet icon a 'ease of access icon and a power icon with choice of restart shutdown sleep Now there are only two icons the connect amp ease of icons So I can't even get into Safe Mode now I went to the microsoft support page they have a minute wait for call-backs and similar wait for on-line chat I'm hoping someone has a suggestion I might mention I'm years old and not very well-versed in computers UPDATE Microsoft finally called me back - was on the phone with them for about hours they tried everything to get me into safe mode ctrl alt del ctrl shift esc win R etc Nothing After two minute holds where they sought help from a supervisor who had them try the 'unplug' computer see if it reboots to recovery screen No it didn't they finally decided to kick me up to a Level Engineer who will call me on Sunday Aug th around pm I'll come back and update this after Sunday but will also check back for any replies suggestions between now and then

A:Windows 10 will not load desktop after log-in; just a black screen

Hi,

Do you have the Windows 10 DVD or another PC to download and burn the Windows 10 DVD?

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/585607/windows-10-will-not-load-desktop-after-log-in;-just-a-black-screen/
Relevancy 59.34%

An old PC with fresh new Win Pro update for search to Windows update never ending installation and a few programs installed Windows update never ending to search for update Did notice DX was missing substituted old GPU with a new one and tried to perform Win Update The process never give any answer waiting for hours since a couple of days I did fist changed the Win Update settings from automatic download to just notify I did try everything I find on this forum from resetting Win Windows update never ending to search for update Update using the bat to following others forum suggestions such as this upgrade to Win install the quot SP quot win pack cancelled the whole updates directory content and also following posting instructions Summarizing the situation any app I did try such as System Update Readiness Tool to Win update is stuck on searching for updates and the process never finish Win Update give an error just once after resetting it but never again is simply Windows update never ending to search for update wating SFC scan didn't give any error Installing the SP quot courtesy pack quot was at the beginning impossible since Microsoft Downalod center is asking to installa a ActiveX app again and again never ending the process Tried also to disable any firewall antivirus realtime protection CBS folder zip is too big to be uploaded next a link to download it https drive google com file d Bxb ew usp sharing

http://www.sevenforums.com/windows-updates-activation/396611-windows-update-never-ending-search-update.html
Relevancy 59.34%

Running Win XP SP- IE and Firefox browsers will not load Microsoft or Windows Update page s Error mssg Internet Explorer cannot display the webpage in IE and quot Server not found quot in Firefox Have Won't MS Windows pages update, load tried re-registering various files among them Hregsvr exe c windows system wuweb dll regsvr exe c windows system wups dll regsvr exe c windows system wups dll regsvr exe c windows system wucltui dll regsvr exe c windows system wuaueng dll regsvr exe c windows system wuaueng dll regsvr exe c windows system wuapi dll No good yet Below is Hijack This log Logfile of Trend Micro HijackThis v Scan saved at PM on Platform Windows XP SP WinNT MSIE Internet Explorer v Boot mode Normal Running processes C WINDOWS System smss exe C WINDOWS system winlogon exe C WINDOWS system services exe C WINDOWS system lsass exe C WINDOWS system svchost exe C WINDOWS System svchost exe C WINDOWS system spoolsv exe C WINDOWS Explorer EXE C Program Files Panda USB Vaccine USBVaccine exe C WINDOWS system hkcmd exe C WINDOWS system igfxpers exe C WINDOWS system igfxsrvc exe C WINDOWS system ICO EXE Won't load Windows update, MS pages C Program Files Intel Intel Matrix Storage Manager Iaanotif exe C Program Files Analog Devices Core smax pnp exe C Program Files Adobe Acrobat Acrobat Acrotray exe C Program Files CyberLink PowerDVD DX PDVDDXSrv exe C Program Files CA eTrust InoculateIT realmon exe C Program Files iTunes iTunesHelper exe C WINDOWS System spool DRIVERS W X E FATIBIA EXE C WINDOWS System spool DRIVERS W X E FATIBIA EXE C Program Files Java jre bin jusched exe C Program Files Common Files InstallShield UpdateService ISUSPM exe C WINDOWS system ctfmon exe C Program Files Centurion Technologies CompuGuard CornerStone ctgui exe C PopQuest PopQuest exe C Program Files Windows Desktop Search WindowsSearch exe C PopQuest POPWD exe C Program Files Common Files Apple Mobile Device Support bin AppleMobileDeviceService exe C Program Files Intel ASF Agent ASFAgent exe C Program Files Microsoft Small Business Business Contact Manager BcmSqlStartupSvc exe C Program Files Bonjour mDNSResponder Won't load Windows update, MS pages exe C WINDOWS ctsvc exe C Program Files Intel Intel Matrix Storage Manager Iaantmon exe C Program Files CA eTrust InoculateIT InoRpc exe C Program Files CA eTrust InoculateIT InoRT exe C Program Files CA eTrust InoculateIT InoTask exe C Program Files Java jre bin jqs exe c Program Files Microsoft SQL Server Shared sqlwriter exe C WINDOWS system svchost exe C WINDOWS Won't load Windows update, MS pages system SearchIndexer exe C WINDOWS system wscntfy exe C Program Files Common Files Macrovision Shared FLEXnet Publisher FNPLicensingService exe C Program Files iPod bin iPodService exe C Program Files Mozilla Firefox firefox exe C Program Files Microsoft Office Office WINWORD EXE C WINDOWS system SearchProtocolHost exe C Program Files Trend Micro HijackThis HijackThis exe R - HKCU Software Microsoft Internet Explorer Main Start Page http www ci rio-rancho nm us R - HKLM Software Microsoft Internet Explorer Main Default Page URL http go microsoft com fwlink LinkId R - HKLM Software Microsoft Internet Explorer Main Default Search URL http go microsoft com fwlink LinkId R - HKLM Software Microsoft Internet Explorer Main Search Page http go microsoft com fwlink LinkId R - HKLM Software Microsoft Internet Explorer Main Start Page http go microsoft com fwlink LinkId R - HKLM Software Microsoft Internet Explorer Search Default Page URL www google com ig dell hl en amp client dell-usuk-rel amp channel us amp ibd R - HKCU Software Microsoft Windows CurrentVersion Internet Settings ProxyOverride local O - BHO Adobe PDF Reader Link Helper - E F-C D - D -B D- B D BE B - C Program Files Common Files Adobe Acrobat ActiveX AcroIEHelper dll O - BHO Adobe PDF Conversion Toolbar Helper - AE CD -E - f- - EE - C Program Files Adobe Acrobat Acrobat AcroIEFavClient dll O - BHO Browser Address Error Redirector - CA C - B - E-A ... Read more

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/wont-load-windows-update-ms-pages.876501/
Relevancy 59.34%

Im fixing a pc for a friend Tried the virus spyware sweeps and they deleted a few Nothing new HiJack Log load windows msn.com update Trying found but any time I try to goto windows update is loads the msn com page Here is a HiJack log file Any help would be great Thanks Logfile of Trend Micro HijackThis v Scan saved at PM on Platform Windows XP SP WinNT MSIE Internet Explorer v SP Boot mode Normal Running processes C WINDOWS System smss exe C WINDOWS system csrss exe C WINDOWS system winlogon exe C WINDOWS system services exe C WINDOWS system lsass exe C WINDOWS system Ati evxx exe C WINDOWS system svchost exe C Program Trying windows update load msn.com HiJack Log Files Panda Software Panda Platinum Internet Security TPSrv exe C WINDOWS system svchost exe C Program Files Panda Software Panda Platinum Internet Security Trying windows update load msn.com HiJack Log pavsrv exe C Program Files Panda Software Panda Platinum Internet Security AVENGINE EXE C WINDOWS system Ati evxx exe C WINDOWS Explorer EXE C WINDOWS System svchost exe C WINDOWS system svchost exe C WINDOWS system svchost exe c program files panda software panda platinum internet security firewall PNMSRV EXE C WINDOWS system LEXBCES EXE C WINDOWS system spoolsv exe C WINDOWS system LEXPPS EXE C WINDOWS arservice exe C WINDOWS eHome ehRecvr exe C WINDOWS eHome ehSched exe C Program Files Common Files LightScribe LSSrvc exe C Program Files Common Files Microsoft Shared VS DEBUG MDM EXE C Program Files Panda Software Panda Platinum Internet Security PavFnSvr exe C Program Files Common Files Panda Software PavShld pavprsrv exe C WINDOWS system HPZipm exe C Program Files Panda Software Panda Platinum Internet Security AntiSpam pskmssvc exe C Program Files Panda Software Panda Platinum Internet Security PsImSvc exe C WINDOWS system svchost exe C WINDOWS system svchost exe C WINDOWS ehome mcrdsvc exe C Program Files Panda Software Panda Platinum Internet Security apvxdwin exe C WINDOWS system dllhost exe C WINDOWS system wbem wmiprvse exe C WINDOWS System alg exe C Program Files Java jre bin jusched exe C windows system hpsysdrv exe C Program Files ATI Technologies ATI Control Panel atiptaxx exe C HP KBD KBD EXE C Program Files HP HP Software Update HPWuSchd exe C WINDOWS system lxamsp exe C Program Files Mouse Driver MouseDrv exe C Program Files Panda Software Panda Platinum Internet Security SRVLOAD EXE C WINDOWS system ctfmon exe C Program Files Panda Software Panda Platinum Internet Security WebProxy exe C Program Files ALLTEL DSL Check-up Center bin mpbtn exe C WINDOWS system wuauclt exe C WINDOWS system wbem wmiprvse exe C Program Files Panda Software Panda Platinum Internet Security avciman exe C Program Files Panda Software Panda Platinum Internet Security psimreal exe C Program Files Trend Micro HijackThis HijackThis exe R - HKCU Software Microsoft Internet Explorer Main Default Page URL http ie redirect hp com svs rdr TY rio amp pf desktop R - HKCU Software Microsoft Internet Explorer Main Start Page http www yahoo com R - HKLM Software Microsoft Internet Explorer Main Start Page http ie redirect hp com svs rdr TY rio amp pf desktop O - BHO Adobe PDF Reader Link Helper - E F-C D - D -B D- B D BE B - C Program Files Common Files Adobe Acrobat ActiveX AcroIEHelper dll O - BHO LabelCommand Class - CB A B- CD- - -ADA E B - C Program Files LabelCommand LabelCommand dll O - BHO SSVHelper Class - BB-D F - C-B EB-D DAF D D - C Program Files Java jre bin ssv dll O - HKLM Run SunJavaUpdateSched quot C Program Files Java jre bin jusched exe quot O - HKLM Run hpsysdrv c windows system hpsysdrv exe O - HKLM Run ATIPTA quot C Program Files ATI Technologies ATI Control Panel atiptaxx exe quot O - HKLM Run KBD C HP KBD KBD EXE O - HKLM Run Recguard C WINDOWS SMINST RECGUARD EXE O - HKLM Run HPBootOp quot C Program Files Hewlett-Packard HP Boot Optimizer HPBootOp exe quot run O - HKLM Run HP Software Update C Program Files HP HP Software Update HPWuSchd exe O - HKLM Run PrinTray... Read more

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f284/trying-windows-update-load-msn-com-hijack-log-265026.html
Relevancy 59.34%

I'm having a problem with Windows Update. When I go to access the update site, it says done but with errors on page. Nothing shows up at all, just a blank screen. I have a feeling it has something to do with all the changes I had to make to get rid of lots of spyware/malware. If anyone could offer some thoughts and possible solutions, I'd really appreciate it. I haven't been able to update Windows in quite a while.

I'm running XP Pro. If any other information is needed, please let me know. Thanks to all who help in advance.

A:Solved: Can't load Windows Update

Visit http://www.softwarepatch.com for latest windows downloads....or try doing a repair on your OS using the WindowsXP cd.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/solved-cant-load-windows-update.294171/
Relevancy 59.34%

Hello everyone,

When I try to load the menu it won't load, it just looks like this and stays like that for ever, nothing will pop up. Here's a screenshot.

Imgur: The most awesome images on the Internet

Relevancy 59.34%

When I try to check for updates, the page fails to load. My PC has Win 7 Service Pack 1 64 bit OS. I don't know what to do and would appreciate your suggestions. Thank you for your assistance!

A:Windows Update Fails to Load

Hello there, 

Have you launched "Windows Update troubleshooter" and see if the issue still persists? http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows7/Open-the-Windows-Update-troubleshooter

Keep us posted

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/618409/windows-update-fails-to-load/
Relevancy 59.34%

My partner has a Dell Studio 1535 laptop. She just downloaded the latest Windows update. When she restarted the computer it took her to a black screen with a single line of white text indicating that various files were installing. It suddenly stopped at 430 of 49073 files with a message "!! 0xc0190036 !! 430/49073 (mfc42u.dll)" The computer is just hanging. If I power it off and restart it gives the option of a startup repair or to start normally. Starting normally leads to the hanging message; a startup repair fails to identify the issue, other than suggesting maybe a device has recently been attached. This is not the case.

Does anyone have any ideas?

A:Windows Update and now Vista won't load

hello,

have you tried starting in safe mode? if it does you can use system restore, or just uninstall the last update....(start tapping the f8 key after hitting the power button)

good luck

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/365247/windows-update-and-now-vista-wont-load/
Relevancy 59.34%

I have Windows Vista Home Premium (x64) Service Pack 1 and the Windows update page will not load. No error messages it will not load. Any Microsoft help or support that leads to anything connected with Windows update will not load. I thought I was getting auto updates, but I am missing 8 important to critical updates. I have even tried downloading IE8 but it gets stuck on the Windows update.

What to do, what to do, what to do?

TIA

A:Windows update page will not load.

I was in your situation with Vista 32 for 3 months. First thing is to scan for malicious software/rootkits that may have turned off update. If you are confident that is not the cause, then you will need to rename the SoftwareDistribution folder in the Windows directory, something like SoftwareDistributionOld. You may have to first turnoff update in the Services (Administrative Tools) to do this. Reboot, and Update will recreate your SoftwareDistribution folder and you "may" then be able to update. Otherwise, like in my situation, you have a lot of heartache and google searching to do. I had to run a bits.reg routine to fix my bits (background Intelligent Transfer Services) in my registry; then I had to reregister a boatload of dll's. TurboTax 2008 had poorly installed and corrupted a number of files and registry entries.

Good luck.....

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/windows-update-page-will-not-load.827718/
Relevancy 59.34%

In windows 8, my brother tried to update to 8.1 but now computer seems it has 8.1 pro. But it can not load. Automatic repair, refresh, system restore, all of them gave errors. I dont want to reset.

I tried those commands from windows site

bootrec /fixmbr and other bootrec

and in config, 

ren system syste.001 this worked but

ren software software.001

this gave errorprocess in use, can not be accessed.

How can i rescue? I dont have any rescue disc or etc.

Desktop computer, 32 bit probably.

A:Can not load windows , update error to 8.1

Is the Windows 8.1 disc 64 bit version?  Either bad disc, or wrong version for what you have, and what he burnt to the disc.  I have run into where I have had to turn off Secure boot in the UEFI bios.  It helps to know what the manufacturer & model# of your computer that you have.

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/522955/can-not-load-windows-update-error-to-81/
Relevancy 59.34%

In windows 8, my brother tried to update to 8.1 but now computer seems it has 8.1 pro. But it can not load. Automatic repair, refresh, system restore, all of them gave errors. I dont want to reset.

I tried those commands from windows site

bootrec /fixmbr and other bootrec

and in config,

ren system syste.001 this worked but

ren software software.001

this gave errorprocess in use, can not be accessed.

How can i rescue? I dont have any rescue disc or etc.

Desktop computer, 32 bit probably.

A:Can not load windows , update error to 8.1

Reboot then follow this guide. To get to the troubleshoot RE. How to use the Windows 8 System Recovery Environment Command Prompt In command prompt type in then hit enter.

Code:
rstrui.exe
Select a restore point to before you tried updating Windows 8 to 8.1.

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f320/can-not-load-windows-update-error-to-8-1-a-791058.html
Relevancy 59.34%

I have a Windows 7 64-bit machine that appears to be infected with malware. No automatic updates work; when I check the services, the Windows Update Service is not running even though it is set to Automatic. I cannot get it to start; the error code is 93.

A copy of the HijackThis logfile is attached.

I believe the Admin user has been hijacked, and any attempts to delete suspicious items through HiJackThis do not work.

The items containing lsass look to be suspicious, for example.

Please help.

A:Windows update service will not load

Hello,Please follow the instructions in ==>This Guide<== starting at step 6. If you cannot complete a step, skip it and continue.Once the proper logs are created, then post them in a reply to this topic by using the Add Reply button.If you can produce at least some of the logs, then please create the post and explain what happens when you try to create the log(s) that you couldn't get. If you cannot produce any of the logs, then still post the reply and explain that you followed the Prep. Guide, were unable to create the logs, and describe what happens when you try to create the logs.Please note that I am not a member of the Malware Removal Team and will not be assisting you in removing the infection. I'm simply helping you to post the information they need in order to assist you.If HelpBot replies to your topic, PLEASE follow Step One so it will report your topic to the team members.Orange Blossom

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/422826/windows-update-service-will-not-load/
Relevancy 59.34%

I recently reloaded xp on my computer to fix an error created by another piece of software. Since than I cannot get my system to accept security updates from Microsoft. The down load works, but I get an error that indicates none of the updates can be installed. I am currently missing 70 updates. I have tried to load one at a time in the event I did not reserve enough disk space, but I still get the same results. Do you have any ideas how this can be fixed.

A:Cannot load latest windows update

Try this website:

http://www.getautopatcher.com/

It allows you to download all the patches (about 300 MB) and install what you need. I have a security camera pc(vendor configured) that does not allow access to the windows update website and I used this tool to patch the system. Hope it helps solve your issue.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/cannot-load-latest-windows-update.594478/
Relevancy 59.34%

Hi Guys
I have a number of windows XP home edition updates which have failed to load. If I click shut down at the end of session then my pc freezes. If I shut down without loading theem all seems okay. Is there a way I can delete these update and start again.
Thanking you in anticipation
Ron Thayre

A:Windows update that fail to load

Try to restore your computer before the updates were downloaded using system restore. You can then download them again.

If you need more information on how to do a system restore just ask.

Good Luck

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/windows-update-that-fail-to-load.725173/
Relevancy 59.34%

Repair didnt work..finally got it to do system restore,

Windows 7 Ultimate x32

ran sfc,chkdsk,malwarebytes all good results
One of these is the culprit
http://i50.tinypic.com/33v2bys.png

If anyone knows which one with out me having to install and see for each one

A:Windows wouldnt load after update

Hello Taj and welcome to the forums

Could you follow these instructions please?

Windows Genuine and Activation Issue Posting Instructions

I don't think it would be possible for us to tell from that picture which update is causing the problems. Just install them one by one

Tom

http://www.sevenforums.com/windows-updates-activation/240006-windows-wouldnt-load-after-update.html
Relevancy 59.34%

Hello, I just rebuilt my PC and installed XP SP3, IE 8, and FF 3.6. Automatic updates are working (i.e. updates are downloaded and installed). However, I cannot get to the Windows Update webpage on this machine (http://windowsupdate.microsoft.com/). I've read forums that say this is due to a firewall issue, but I disabled my firewall and still cannot access the page. I have not setup any other special network rules/restrictions. I can access other webpages without problems. It could be a virus I suppose but I just rebuilt the system, so that makes me somewhat skeptical. Any thoughts? Thanks everyone!

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f10/cannot-load-windows-update-in-ie8-or-ff36-495260.html
Relevancy 59.34%

I can not reach Windows Update at the automatically inserted url. The
Windows "flag" does not wave automatically and only very briefly when I click 'go.'
Solution? Thanks.

A:Solved: Windows Update will not load

Can you see other web sites? Do you have a firewall and Anti Virus?

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/solved-windows-update-will-not-load.246622/
Relevancy 59.34%

I just upgraded to Windows Vista 64 over the weekend as a clean install. I ran Windows Update and got everything installed fine. However, shortly after Windows Update failed to open when I clicked the icon. I see a window start to open on the desktop and then disappear. No errors show up. If I go into the Control Panel->Security and click "Turn Automatic Updating On or Off" I receive the following error: Windows cannot find 'shell:::{26EE0668-A00A-44D7-BEB064C98683}\10\::{36eef7db-88ad-4e81...\pageSettings'. Make sure you typed the name correctly, and then try again.

Any assistance would be greatly appreciated.

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/101098/windows-update-fails-to-load/
Relevancy 59.34%

I can not load windows new updater. Every time I try it just starts back at the start down load page all over again.

I also can't load DirectX 9.0b. It says that I have ver 8.1 . A little box that reads "Software Installation" on the top bar says. The software you are installing has not passed Windows Logo testing to verify it's compatibility with Windows XP.

This software will not be installed. Contact your system administor.

The next little box that pops up says.

"DirectX Setup" on the top blue bar and then below it says. DirectX did not copy a required file.
Any help I can get on this stuff would be greatly appreciated.

Relevancy 59.34%

Hi All I was using my laptop last night Dell Vostro and using Windows Vista using only internet via firefox and the steam application and had no problems prior to switching it off before I went to bed Got up this morning switched on the computer and after loading past the Dell logo it would not load any further I am pretty limited with my computer knowledge but have followed some online sites mainly via Dell and Microsft which have so far failed to help I have carried out the following Start up Repair - says that the problem may not be fixed automatically and to contact either the computer manufacturer or system administrator There is only user on the computer so should be no administrator issues I am currently in Thailand so support via Dell will be very limited or v expensive and from what I have read on-line they will recommend that the steps below are followed prior not load update Windows following Vista will to doing a whole restore of factory settings I have attempted a System Restore of various points but receive the following message system restore failed Windows Vista will not load following update due to an unspecified error The requested operation was made in the context of a transaction that is no longer active I see from the list of previous available system restore points that a windows update occurred sometime between me switching the computer off and turning it back on this morning Surely this has to be the problem The option to repair OS C has also popped up I have ok d this then receive confirmation that the OS c is repaired however when I try to either do the system restore at this point - I get an error message- or restart and load in it does not get any further than the microsoft logo load in After all attempts I have not yet been able to get through to the desktop start up Hope the above makes some sense Does anyone have any suggestions Hopefully a re-format may be avoided due to the masses of important documents stored on the computer which I do not wish to lose I am typing from another computer as I am unable to use the laptop at present Thanks for any assistance in advance Paul nbsp

Relevancy 59.34%

Im tring to remove Trovi from my pc... any suggestions? 

Regards,

A:windows 8 issue, explorer wont load, goes to Trovi search page

Welcome aboard   Download Security Check from here or here and save it to your Desktop. Double-click SecurityCheck.exe Follow the onscreen instructions inside of the black box. A Notepad document should open automatically called checkup.txt; please post the contents of that document.NOTE 1. If one of your security applications (e.g., third-party firewall) requests permission to allow DIG.EXE access the Internet, allow it to do so.NOTE 2. SecurityCheck may produce some false warning(s), so leave the results reading to me.NOTE 3. If you receive UNSUPPORTED OPERATING SYSTEM! ABORTED! message restart computer and Security Check should run Please download Farbar Service Scanner (FSS) and run it on the computer with the issue.Make sure the following options are checked:
Internet ServicesWindows FirewallSystem RestoreSecurity Center/Action CenterWindows UpdateWindows DefenderOther ServicesPress "Scan".It will create a log (FSS.txt) in the same directory the tool is run.Please copy and paste the log to your reply. Please download MiniToolBox and run it.Checkmark following boxes:Report IE Proxy SettingsReport FF Proxy SettingsList content of HostsList IP configurationList Winsock EntriesList last 10 Event Viewer logList Installed ProgramsList Devices (do NOT change any settings here)List Users, Partitions and Memory sizeList Restore PointsClick Go and post the result. Please download Malwarebytes Anti-Malware to your desktop.NOTE. If you already have MBAM 2.0 installed scroll down.Double-click mbam-setup-2.0.0.1000.exe and follow the prompts to install the program.
At the end, be sure a checkmark is placed next to the following:

Launch Malwarebytes Anti-MalwareA 14 day trial of the Premium features is pre-selected. You may deselect this if you wish, and it will not diminish the scanning and removal capabilities of the program.
Click Finish.On the Dashboard, click the 'Update Now >>' linkAfter the update completes, click the 'Scan Now >>' button.
Or, on the Dashboard, click the Scan Now >> button.If an update is available, click the Update Now button.
A Threat Scan will begin.When the scan is complete, if there have been detections, click Apply Actions to allow MBAM to clean what was detected.In most cases, a restart will be required.Wait for the prompt to restart the computer to appear, then click on Yes.If you already have MBAM 2.0 installed:On the Dashboard, click the 'Update Now >>' linkAfter the update completes, click the 'Scan Now >>' button.
Or, on the Dashboard, click the Scan Now >> button.If an update is available, click the Update Now button.
A Threat Scan will begin.When the scan is complete, if there have been detections, click Apply Actions to allow MBAM to clean what was detected.In most cases, a restart will be required.Wait for the prompt to restart the computer to appear, then click on Yes.How to get logs:(Export log to save as txt)After the restart once you are back at your desktop, open MBAM once more.Click on the History tab > Application Logs.Double click on the Scan Log which shows the Date and time of the scan just performed.Click 'Export'.Click 'Text file (*.txt)'In the Save File dialog box which appears, click on Desktop.In the File name: box type a name for your scan log.A message box named 'File Saved' should appear stating "Your file has been successfully exported".Click OkAttach that saved log to your next reply.(Copy to clipboard for pasting into forum replies or tickets)After the restart once you are back at your desktop, open MBAM once more.Click on the History tab > Application Logs.Double click on the scan log which shows the Date and time of the scan just performed.Click 'Copy to Clipboard'Paste the contents of the clipboard into your reply.Download Malwarebytes Anti-Rootkit to your desktop.Warning! Malwarebytes Anti-Rootkit needs to be run from an account with administrator rights.Double click on downloaded file. OK self extracting prompt.MBAR will st... Read more

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/548596/windows-8-issue-explorer-wont-load-goes-to-trovi-search-page/
Relevancy 58.91%

This is so I can relay this to my Brother, he has windows 7, while I have windows 8, there a lot different than each other. Our computer skill are about average. Heres the question. He wants to put an icon on the desktop for windows updates, is this possible ? Thanks, Chuck

A:windows update icon for desktop windows 7

Start menu/Control Panel.When Control Panel opens RIGHT CLICK on Windows Update.Click CREATE SHORTCUT.This will place an icon for Windows Update on the desktop.After it's put on the desktop he can move it to where ever he wants it.For future reference, anything in Control Panel can be sent to the desktop by creating a shortcut.For some things the right click command will be Send to/Desktop.

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/549452/windows-update-icon-for-desktop-windows-7/
Relevancy 58.91%

Is there anything like a "field chooser" in Windows Desktop Search. I'd like to be able to add a "to" field to the email search. Thanks.

A:Windows Desktop Search - XP

If you are using Outlook, you can use the Tools/Find Feature in Outlook.

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f10/windows-desktop-search-xp-412591.html
Relevancy 58.91%

I am using Vista Ultimate -Bit version on my HP dv en laptop with Gb ram I was a Google Desktop User before I upgraded to vista so I wanted to give it a shot and force installed google desktop bit on Vista x However I saw that it did not work properly so I chose to uninstall it My problem started Use Can't Windows Search Desktop after that I can still use the quot start search quot in the start menu and it returns some results which means windows search is working However when I choose quot search everywhere quot an error message tells me quot application not found quot The application in this case is most probably google desktop search Can't Use Windows Desktop Search which did not uninstall properly since it was designed for the bit version This is an error I realized only today although I was messing around with google desktop months ago so a system restore is not possible I need to use the search facilities What do I need to do

A:Can't Use Windows Desktop Search

Originally Posted by zirhlidey

I am using Vista Ultimate 64-Bit version on my HP dv6550en laptop with 4 Gb ram. I was a Google Desktop User before I upgraded to vista, so I wanted to give it a shot and force installed google desktop 32 bit on Vista x64. However I saw that it did not work properly so I chose to uninstall it.

My problem started after that. I can still use the "start search" in the start menu, and it returns some results which means windows search is working. However, when I choose "search everywhere" an error message tells me "application not found" The application in this case is most probably google desktop search which did not uninstall properly since it was designed for the 32 bit version.

This is an error I realized only today although I was messing around with google desktop months ago so a system restore is not possible. I need to use the search facilities. What do I need to do?

system restore maybe for you, i would ask you to search for it but you cant
so im going to tell you where it is, start>programs>accessories>system tools>system restore, choose a date before you installed google desktop search.

http://www.vistax64.com/software/208164-cant-use-windows-desktop-search.html
Relevancy 58.91%

I am trying to find/install Windows Desktop Search for 64 bit Home Pro. When I download the version from MS, it says it is not applicable to my computer. What am I doin/not doing to cause this. The version on MS download page says for Vista and server 08 or something. Is there a version out there for Windows 7...?

Unclepine in Winterpeg

A:Windows Desktop Search...NG...!

You don't need to download anything. Windows search is built into the system. You can check if it is enabled by going to "Control Panel", "Programs and Features";

More information and how to use;

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/w...windows-search

Regards....Mike Connor

http://www.sevenforums.com/general-discussion/155495-windows-desktop-search-ng.html
Relevancy 58.91%

Hi all,

Just a quick question. How do I disable/remove Windows Desktop Search?

I'm having a concerted effort to speed up my machine....I think this one is holding a fair bit of resources....without doing anything!

WDS does not appear in my Add/remove programs or CCleaner.

Thanks in advance.
(Windows XP Pro Sp2 2.8 Ghz 2o48mb)

A:Windows Desktop Search

Hello and welcome to Bleepingcomputer.The following link shows you how to disable or remove Windows Desktop Search. Please read over it and follow the steps that they have provided. If you have any questions regarding on how to remove WDS, please feel free to write it in your next responseRemoving/disabling WDSRegards, xtremboy

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/142730/windows-desktop-search/
Relevancy 58.91%

I use windows desktop search frequently to locate files quickly but have discovered today that emails that I had deleted from Outlook Express folders (Inbox, Sent Items, Deleted Items) can still be found and read through the windows desktop search facility.

There were some sensitive emails that I did not wish anyone else to read and would like to know how I can delete them so they do not show up this way.

When doing the search the location of the emails is folder Main Identity/Local Folders/Inbox (or Main Identity/Local Folder/Sent Items.

Have tried to locate these folders on my computer but haven't found them yet and do not know where to look.
Any advice welcome.

The outlook express data files are found at
documents and settings
your user id (variable)
application data
identities
your identity (variable)
microsoft
outlook e & outlook express

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/55408/windows-desktop-search/
Relevancy 58.91%

Hmm...

I've been trying to find some lost photos, but I can't. Windows Desktop Search won't work!

When I click on that icon in Start > All Programs > Windows Search, the search window appears, but there is a message near the top.

"Windows Search isn't running. To start it, click on the Start Menu, point to 'All Programs', and then click Windows Search"

I did that, but nothing happened.

Can't you go to search the normal way? Start>search.

Just a suggestion. Why not download a real search engine. THis thing
is unbelievable searches in real time. By the time you type your search item
it is there for you. FREE

http://download.cnet.com/Everything/...-10890746.html

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f10/windows-desktop-search-494526.html
Relevancy 58.91%

Where on the desktop is the Search the Web and Windows box? I saw a reference to it, but I can't find it? Inspiron 7000 Series, Windows 10 Home 

A:Windows 10 Desktop search box

You can use Cortana to search the web. You can also right click the Start's button at the left bottom of the page. You'll see the search option.

http://en.community.dell.com/support-forums/software-os/f/4997/t/19669365
Relevancy 58.91%

I have the same problem. The loading of programs into the system tray 'pauses' for 1-2 minutes before everything continues normally. During the pause other programs can be run from the desktop but nothing can be accessed via the taskbar or system tray (hourglass icon appears when cursor is over sys tray & taskbar). This has only started in the last week. I have removed all programs i have installed after the problem started but it has made no difference. The PC has XP sp2.
Most times it pauses with Norton AV loaded but disabled (red cross) but this is not always the case. And NAV is always enabled when the pause ends.

A:Windows XP freezes for 2-3 at Desktop - No other applications can load in this time.

Hi bax and welcome to TSG,

I have split your post off into a thread of its own. It's not a good idea to tack onto an existing post as you may get overlooked.

Please do this. Click here: http://www.majorgeeks.com/download3155.html to download Hijack This.

It’s very important that you save it to its own folder on your hard drive, such as program files (not temporary files or the desktop), so that it can create proper back-ups and be able to restore them if necessary.

Close all open windows and open Hijack This. Click “Scan”. When the scan is finished (it only takes a second), the scan button will change to “Save Log”. Click on “Save Log” and then save it to NotePad. Click on “Edit” – “Select all” – “copy” and then “paste” into the thread.

DO NOT FIX ANYTHING YET, most items that appear in the log are harmless or even needed.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/windows-xp-freezes-for-2-3-at-desktop-no-other-applications-can-load-in-this-time.296818/
Relevancy 58.91%

I just received a Dell Dimension desktop for free and figured I can just get it back to nothing on it by formatting it and giving it to a friend I have a windows XP Home OS install disc that I downloaded not too long ago I used the very same install OS cd on a dell laptop and windows windows Older properly? won't XP Dell load Desktop XP installed perfectly fine and I went to Dell s website and downloaded all the drivers Now with this Desktop I put in the OS install CD booted to the CD of course the windows XP install screen came up I deleted the old partition created a new one and began to install windows on it The computer restarted and went into the installation screen However it freezes at minutes and then after about min an error screen pops up I just used the disc recently and can t figure out why it is stopping at that min screen So the next thing I tried was this Older Dell Desktop won't load windows XP properly? I also have an older OS upgrade cd of Windows XP home I popped that in the drive and tried to install that way and it went perfectly fine After windows xp loaded up i went to download the drivers from Dell and that worked But when I try to get the service packs from microsoft it won t let me install them and an error comes up Now why would those error messages come up When i turned on automatic updates the computer would not retrieve the updates from microsoft I had to go to the site and do it manually but I got an error message not allowing me Older Dell Desktop won't load windows XP properly? to install the microsoft service packs i tried service pack and and both gave me an error Would really appreciate what to do on this Also the computer is bone stock nothing too fancy about it but I hope it works just to do basic stuff like internet surfing and microsoft office Only has mb of ram but that should be fine to run windows XP i would think Because the system was built and came with windows xp on the mb memory Thanks for anyones help advice

A:Older Dell Desktop won't load windows XP properly?

I just received a Dell Dimension 2400 desktop for free and figured I can just get it back to nothing on it by formatting it and giving it to a friend. I have a windows XP Home OS install disc that I downloaded not too long ago, From where did you download the XP CD?

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/441461/older-dell-desktop-wont-load-windows-xp-properly/
Relevancy 58.91%

Hi there, this has only started recently and i am unsure why.

After i login (which happens automatically) Windows XP loads the sound deelie, and the desktop and then appears that the startbar / explorer freezes for a long period of time.

At this stage i only have 18 processes running, which is 10 or so less than i usually do ^^;;

After a 2 or so minute wait everything just comes out of it's coma and starts running fine.
This is incredibly annoying, and if anyone has any solutions, please let me know!!

Cheers. Thanks for your help.
- Deluxe

A:Windows XP freezes for 2-3 at Desktop - No other applications can load in this time.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/windows-xp-freezes-for-2-3-at-desktop-no-other-applications-can-load-in-this-time.282974/
Relevancy 58.91%

I have an HP compact Laptop with WIndows Vista that won't load the desktop....I just get a "please wait" and nothing ever happens. I can't get into the Task Manager "control>alt>delete" doesn't work. I used a Vista CD to try to repair. It told me that there are no problems with start up. I tried doing a system restore, but that didn't seem to work. Help!!

Relevancy 58.91%

I started my computer in safe mode I selected Administrator as the user and as it was loading the desktop I decided again to XP - load, starts Windows off logs desktop login I should have signed on with the user we usually use not Administrator so I did Alt-Ctl-Del and shutdown Now after I select either user the desktop starts to load - I see the background - but before the icons or anything it logs off and saves settings and goes back to the screen with the users to select Windows XP login - desktop starts to load, logs off again for logon Save mode does the same thing I have restarted shut down more than once with the same results I hope somebody can help me I really don t want to reload windows Windows XP Pro SP Ghz MB ram gig hard drive I don t know if it has anything to do with it but it has a virus that is variations of MS antispyware - got it cleaned up some but was still getting boxes popping up - usually not when I first booted up logged on - before I messed up the sign on process Thx Cynda

A:Windows XP login - desktop starts to load, logs off again

If you have a post in either of the malware sections...that's where you need to continue...rather than starting a new thread here in the XP forum.

Louis

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/211174/windows-xp-login-desktop-starts-to-load-logs-off-again/
Relevancy 58.91%

When I turn my pc on, all I get is a black screen or the windows icon and circle turning like it is loading. Just updated from 7 to 10. Worked good two days. Now this.Anyone have ideas.

A:After upgrade Windows 10 desktop doesn't load correctly

It might be an update that has jammed. On odd occasions discharging the motherboard has unstuck things, like this:Turn off computer and remove power plug. Remove main battery too if it's a laptop. Before trying again hold the Power Off/On button down for at least 20 seconds. It probably won't help but it's quick to try and you might be lucky.Always pop back and let us know the outcome - thanks

http://www.computing.net/answers/windows-10/after-upgrade-windows-10-desktop-doesnt-load-correctly/406.html