Windows Support Forum

User profile path change to user profile path change to C:\Documents and Settings\TEMP :\Documents and Settings...

Q: User profile path change to user profile path change to C:\Documents and Settings\TEMP :\Documents and Settings...

I am laptop user. About 2hr ago, i login to my lappy and discover that my profile is different. My folders on desktop went missing and some of the setting changed. Then i try on my own to solve it but to no avail. Fortunately i come upon my C:\Documents and Settings and discover that strange profile C:\Documents and Settings\TEMP and my original profile C:\Documents and Settings\p0716499 was still there. This imply that my previous setting and files are still in my laptop. However, I cant changed back to the original profile and struck with the temp profile.
Initially i suspect is registry problem so i DL "UPHClean Service" by miscosoft but to no avail. Now currently i suspect it might be the work of a virus. I need help. Thank anyone who help me in advance.

Relevancy 100%
Preferred Solution: User profile path change to user profile path change to C:\Documents and Settings\TEMP :\Documents and Settings...

I recommend downloading and running Reimage. It's a computer repair tool that has been proven to identify and fix many Windows problems with a high level of success.

I've used it in the past to identify and fix everything from blue screens (BSOD's), ActiveX errors, corrupt files and processes, dll/exe/sys errors, recover lost memory, Windows update problems, defragging, malware removal etc.

You can download it direct from this link http://downloadreimage.com/directdownload.php. (This link will automatically start a download of Reimage that you can save to your computer.)

A: User profile path change to user profile path change to C:\Documents and Settings\TEMP :\Documents and Settings...

This morning when i woke up, i discovered a icon named "syminstallstub" on my desktop. I checked online and i believe that it could be a virus. I try to find ways to uninstall it but to no avail I not sure what did my younger brother do to my laptop. I feel that im damn unlucky and encounter 2 problems in a row. Please help me solve my problems.

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/394384/user-profile-path-change-to-user-profile-path-change-to-cdocuments-and-settingstemp-documents-and-settingstemp/
Relevancy 139.19%

Hello, one of the user profiles in Windows XP Pro has disappeared. I cannot recover the files because the folder in Documents and Settings has disappeared too. I am running a virus scan now. Any help in how this could have happened?

A:User profile on XP Pro disappeared, folder in Documents and Settings gone

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/user-profile-on-xp-pro-disappeared-folder-in-documents-and-settings-gone.734092/
Relevancy 134.85%

Hi:

My friends computer appears to have gotten a mean virus or spyware. Windows will not successfully start. I removed the drive and set it up as an external drive and scanned it with SuperAntiSpyWare, AVG and MalWarebytes Antimalware. All found some trojans and viruses, apparently removing them all. However, I still cannot access his profile or the administrator profile--all report access denied.

Any ideas?

Thanks,

Tom

A:Windows continually restarts/Documents & Settings user profile access denied

Hi:

I also tried booting up with an Ubuntu boot cd and I still couldn't access either the administrator or the user profile. Any ideas?

Tom

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/296152/windows-continually-restartsdocuments-settings-user-profile-access-denied/
Relevancy 129.89%

I recently bought new computers a router and networked the home It wasn t easy to changed Settings Documents User Change & name logon match Name but done I have the host computer and my children are each on wireless as clients Both children can access internet but Change Documents & Settings User Name to match changed logon name only can access printer I actually figured out the problem that s huge as Change Documents & Settings User Name to match changed logon name I m a network idiot My son s computer can t use printer is using my old computer with MY name on it I am on the new computer with MY name on it So when he tries to access the printer it doesn t know where to go I have windows xp HOME and from what I see I can t change the name on his computer the folder immediately under documents amp settings I followed instructions to copy from one folder to another ie Mine to his using a rd administrator account I could copy any account but mine Now I need help Can anyone offer any ideas Is there software that can do this I don t even mind changing the name on my present computer but it also is windows xp home I eagerly await your instructions Thank you from all of us nbsp

Relevancy 129.27%

Hi Guy s I have some Problem's andsome Issues including User Account's and profiles Windows I tried all of this with Avast and MMBTs turned off no Joy I am the only user on this Desk-top Dell Computer PC Store Loading Profile access Cannot Settings Change not User Accounts I have the Administrator Account a Local acount I am on now ZZ Local Admin Account A Account and B Account Cannot access Store Change PC Settings User Accounts Profile not Loading and C Account C Is a New account not usable I made trying to fix all these issues It has no Profile It is set up but it Also Like the old A Account it wont open never has the first time I tried after creating It Instead of going thru the HI Iam setting up Cannot access Store Change PC Settings User Accounts Profile not Loading your new account Preamble It said Cannot open User Profile Not Loading The A Account was my Main account then this trouble started and I have been trying to move everything Cannot access Store Change PC Settings User Accounts Profile not Loading over to THE ZZ Account is that a Roaming Account Or a Roaming Profile I don't care if I delete the A and B accounts I have Two separate Accounts a Local Admin account and a Local account won t open says cannot open User Profile Not Loading I Cannot Move from gt Start Screen gt Search gt Type your gt To get Your Account settings nothing Happens Meaning that I cannot get to gt Change PC Accounts from the Search result link list or if I click on the Search and Icon Bar it just brings up a White Page with a List of Links including the Links Add Delete Manage User accounts they are Dead If I click Store from the Start Screen the screen just flickers If I click on the MS Store Icon in Apps the screen goes all Blue My Admin and This ZZ Account I am using now are working BUT I cannot open Store get at or Play my Apps and other issues the screen Just flickers but stay s on the Desktop of either of these accounts Or if I use the Start Page From Shell Page nothing Happens My Microsoft Account is missing I cannot access it I cannot get to Add Delete Manage User accounts from the ZZ Account Via Search gt Users gt its a Dead Link Is there a Way to move the Accounts Profile everything from the old A to ZZ and just delete the rest of them I am the only one on this PC I Updated to Windows but I But I still have same issues everything I have had nothing but User Accounts and Passwords Problems since I received this PC out of the box as a New Computer with Win Installed Can you guys Help me Please Dazza

A:Cannot access Store Change PC Settings User Accounts Profile not Loading

Can somone please tell me why my post is "Grayed Out" is it in the Wrong Place? What does the Down Arrow mean? does that mean that its been Rejected can somone tell me if I should repost in another foru? Or Have I done somthing wrong and been Banned from Bleeping Com. you guys have always helped me before I dont understand? If I hear nothing tomorrw I will close the Thread and seek help elsware I cannot do that if I don't know whats going on Dasha

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/522778/cannot-access-store-change-pc-settings-user-accounts-profile-not-loading/
Relevancy 128.34%

hi, when i restart my laptop i get a message - your user profile was not loaded correctly, you have been logged on with a temporary profile etc. also any documents i saved in Works have gone, this has happened every time i restart my laptop and i have lost alot of work. i log on with my admin account so i don't know what is going on. please help, i daren't mess with things because i don't know much about computers. thanks.

A:temp user profile/ saved documents gone

Hello Sambeefy, and welcome to Vista Forums.

Since you say you do not know much about computers, then you might try doing a System Restore at boot (Method Two) using a restore point dated before this error to try and fix it.

If that does not help, then you can try this tutorial if comfortable doing it.

User Profile Error - Logged on with a Temporary Profile

Hope this helps,
Shawn

http://www.vistax64.com/general-discussion/216071-temp-user-profile-saved-documents-gone.html
Relevancy 122.14%

OS Windows XP v Professional SP I restored the computer system as I had lost everything stored in the old user profile A NEW USER PROFILE mlinda quot is created with the correct domain attached to it eg CAA MAU and is fully restored The OLD USER PROFILE quot m linda quot remains in the documents and settings BUT - the domain is of a local computer eg SPARXX and it no longer works with the eg CAA MAU domain The original quot m linda quot user profile contains almost nothing in it no documents etc m linda is still listed in the userlist in computer management BUT 2 (fully name user user restored) new profile old ? Urgent-How profile change to back NOT THE NEW mlinda In administrator mode I dont t see ALL the contents of the newly restored profile Questions How do I change user profile quot mlinda Urgent-How 2 change new user profile (fully restored) back to old user profile name ? quot that has successfully retored everthing back to quot m linda quot since the new profile has everything intact How do I safely delete the newly restored quot mlinda quot and ensure everything is back to normal with the OLD USER PROFILE m linda How to ensure that the correct domain name is attached to the profile by transferring all the data from THE NEW mlinda eg domain CAA MAU to THE OLD m linda that currently has a local computer domain SPARXX User profile m linda has to be attched to domain CAA MAU Should I be backing up before eventhough the new mlinda is in super condition I read in forums that the links to desktop can be lost by transfering How do I retain it Do I have to change anything in the registry value Should I do it with Administrator account in normal mode or safe mode When I log on as an Administrator both mlinda and m linda is as brand new and none of the exisiting files in it When I log in as mlinda new I still see m linda local computer domain in the user list but not mlinda the new But when I right click properties of c documents and setting mlinda under security I see that mlinda is listed with the correct domain name My biggeest fear is not to lose the domain ouutlook etc while changing mlinda to m linda B Rather than going through a process of copying mlinda to m linda Is it possible just delete THE OLD USER PROFILE m linda and rename the THE NEW USER PROFILE mlinda since this is fully restored to m linda If yes what are the best steps And how can I make the adjustments to user list since when wondows starts there is only THE NEW PROFILE mlinda popping up I need it back to m linda I read in a forum that I can go to registry HKLM SOFTWARE Microsoft Windows NT CurrentVer Profilelist and change but I don t want to mess with it In my case in the registry i should I delete m linda first and rename mlinda to m linda This is rather urgent and need to fix today All your help are truly appreciated Thank you nbsp

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/urgent-how-2-change-new-user-profile-fully-restored-back-to-old-user-profile-name.1004093/
Relevancy 119.97%

This question has been raised before by others but apparently no solution was offered by anyone I have two user profiles on the same PC with one main user having the administrator rights Today when I attempted to log in as the main user I got the My Favorites Documents, profile etc. - Missing corrupt user profile from following message quot Windows cannot load the locally stored profile Possible causes of this error include insufficient security rights Missing My Documents, Favorites etc. from user profile - corrupt profile or a corrupt local profile If this problem persists contact your network administrator quot I found one microsoft support note which suggests that a new profile needs to be created and the contens of the old profile except dat files have to be copied in the new profile folders However all my folders in the original profile including MY documents and Favorites are EMPTY I am unable to retrieve valuable files Can anyone suggest a step wise procedure to locate where my files have disappeared By the way I tried system restore operation to restore the system three days backward yet everything is the same and the folders are empty so i have undone the system restore thanks PS AS AN ADDITIONAL INFO if it might help i have discovered rather large quot FOUND quot folders ion quot C quot drive the last one has the size mb which is about the same time that the folders and files disappeared i have read that these foldrrs are similar to chk files and can be remvoed however i am not sure of this in view of the missing data nbsp

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/missing-my-documents-favorites-etc-from-user-profile-corrupt-profile.760501/
Relevancy 116.25%

Hope this is the right place for this...When I go into My Documents then onto, say, My Pictures the path in the address bar reads.....C:\Documents and Settings\Previous PC Owner\My Documents\My Pictures Now is there a way to replace the previous owner of this laptop name with my own?I have changed the owner name in the registry

A:My Documents path name change

Hi, this link from Tech Republic might be what you want http://blogs.techrepublic.com.com/window-o...amp;tag=nl.e064

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/249915/my-documents-path-name-change/
Relevancy 115.63%

I have a strange issue with my local user I rebuilt my OS mostly just to clean up my system After I completed the re-install I setup a local user UserX then I joined the system to my home domain So far everything went fine So I changed the name of the default Administrator user for security purposes When I got to work I logged on with my local user UserX I have a laptop that I use as my desktop for both home and work We also have a domain at work but I usually just logon to a local work group and map drives as I need them When I logged on with UserX on to the local machine everything seemed to be running fine until I ran my first download I downloaded a file to my desktop but when I looked at the desktop it wasn t there so I did a little searching on the system and discovered that the downloads were going to the Adminstrator s desktop and not UserX s desktop Opening Tweak UI I modifed the download path to go to UserX s Desktop but now whenever I make a change to the desktop say delete a file I have to do a manual quot refresh quot of the desktop to see the changes Any thought on what would cause this a corrupt profile maybe nbsp

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/user-profile-path-issue.463961/
Relevancy 115.01%

Hi have an issue running Windows XP SP on a friend s computer In C Documents and Settings the user s path has been renamed to User RAVI However the original User directory is still there Any ideas what this RAVI has come from E g when appdata is typed into address bar it goes to the path C Documents and Settings User RAVI instead of just C Documents and Settings User Any idea why Windows has decided to create this new folder If I can change the User s associated docs and settings folder I can correct this anyone know where this is stored in been Solved: and renamed? Settings has path Documents the reg Other side effects of this issue is that no desktop settings are saved on reboot cannot access documents through the standard My Docs shortcuts because it s looking in the wrong folder quick launch doesn t function etc Just need to change the associated user directory to get rid of the RAVI bit Worth noting that in the docs and settings folder there is also a User RAVI folder as well Hopefully it is Solved: Documents and Settings path has been renamed? clear what I want Tried Googling but not entirely sure how to phrase it Thanks for any help Ollie EDIT Sorry was in a bit of a rush to get this message posted so quick update with what I ve tried Standard virus malware spyware removal - this was probably what caused the issue but hasn t reverted it CCleaner to fix registry tl dr I need a way to tell Windows to look in the C Documents and Settings User folder for all settings etc instead of C Documents and Settings User RAVI Unfortunately the owner of the computer is rather tech-illiterate so cannot tell what may have been done to previous to this issue occurring nbsp

A:Solved: Documents and Settings path has been renamed?

After referring to a very skilled friend I have found a solution. Apologies for the wasted thread.

http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=314045

(Looks like "RAVI" is the computer name...)

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/solved-documents-and-settings-path-has-been-renamed.1031095/
Relevancy 114.39%

I changed my user profile path to D: drive. Now Aero UI is strange, can't change background, window title is white and borders is somehow different, also seems everything links to system32\config\userprofile istead of D:\Users\Spajky, where I put it? what to do?

A:Error after changing user profile path

Hi spajky welcome to SevenForums

Do you get this error message

C:\Windows\system32\config\systemprofile\Desktop refers to a location that is unavailable. It could be on a hard drive on this computer, or on a network. Check to make sure that the disk is properly inserted, or that you are connected to the Internet or your network, and then try again. If it still cannot be located, the information might have been moved to a different location.

http://www.sevenforums.com/general-discussion/298817-error-after-changing-user-profile-path.html
Relevancy 114.39%

As of today in our domain environment consisting of Windows and Windows Enterprise machines we are experiencing the quot User Profile service failed the sign-in - User profile cannot be loaded quot error message whenever a user tries to login This only affects users new to the particular machine If they have signed on before and already have Default service 8 User Profile loaded. be Profile Profile sign-in Win Environment Domain in Corrupt The failed User 7 the User Win cannot and - a cached account the computer logs them in with no issue This is occurring on both Win and Win machines We are an academic institution so this is becoming a huge problem in our labs Students generally use different computers so this is popping up very frequently I have a solution for the issue It appears that on the non-working machines that the quot Default quot user profile is corrupt I have discovered that if I find a machine Win or Win doesn't matter that is allowing first time users to logon I can copy the quot Default quot user profile and replace the corrupt one I must first permanently delete the corrupt profile before copying over the new one Corrupt Default User Profile in Domain Environment - The User Profile service failed the sign-in User Profile cannot be loaded. Win 8 and Win 7 I am doing this over the network by navigating the C users folder Even this way is becoming cumbersome though as we have over computer in labs I have googled and googled and I keep seeing the same answers offering various solutions none which are any more practical than my method I cannot find information on a cause or a reason of why this would just crop up out of nowhere I suspect maybe a Windows update but I cannot verify that yet If anyone can offer any advice share a possible patch it would be much appreciated Thanks nbsp

https://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/5a617fa3-ddbe-49a2-af23-e68fd6b015a3/corrupt-default-user-profile-in-domain-environment-the-user-profile-service-failed-the-signin?forum=w8itprogeneral
Relevancy 113.77%

Dear All,

I am installing a software which was used in my old OS : XP.
But when I am trying to install it in new machine (Windows-7 32 bit).
It is showing "Access to the path 'C:\Documents and Settings' is denied." message in middle of installation.

I tried below solutions :

1. Running setup as " Run as administrator"
2. By chanding "Local Users and Groups" -> Administartor (properties)-> Account Is Disabled
3.Tries changing access setting.

Nono of above soltion worked.Please help.

Thanks

A:Access to the path 'C:\Documents and Settings' is denied - Win7-32 Bit

Documents and settings, in Windows 7, is relegated to a System file and is known, together with several other "legacy" folders, as a "junction" folder. It is there for backward compatibility purposes only.
Your problem could be just that - compatibility. Try right clicking the installation file and check under the compatibility options. Run in Xp mode and also as Administrator. See if that is succesful.

http://www.sevenforums.com/general-discussion/212403-access-path-c-documents-settings-denied-win7-32-bit.html
Relevancy 113.46%

Hello this issue is persisting on my work windows computer not each time i sign in to my user session corporate ad account i have the following visible symptims - i receive User path system path default default profile to the welcome to windows screen and animations like i just User profile path default to default system path installed or logged in to the system for the first time - once finished the desktop are is empty at first in windows explorer i used to receive User profile path default to default system path an error saying that desktop folder cannot be found or sth but now it's gone - the desktop icons are restored once i toggle the start menu and go back to the desktop and sometimes i have to kill or restart the windows explorer process - the current keyboard language is defaulted to English instead of french which is set by default original override because of my keyboard the system default language is english in UI i have to go to control panel language settings and i have to save and exti to be able to toggle to french if not alt shit toggle does not find french as being listed - some applications store their settings and detect the C Windows System config systemprofile I have this issue since a few months now i'm not exactly sure when it first happened But i read somewhere that someone got it because after installaing some software but no mention which software or what type of software can cause this effect in windows can somebody help thanks in advance

http://www.eightforums.com/user-accounts-family-safety/59073-user-profile-path-default-default-system-path.html
Relevancy 113.15%

I have I have registry key that points to C:\Data. I'd like to change it to %USERPROFILE%\DATA (C:\Documents and Settings\<current user signed in>\).

%USERPROFILE% doesn't seem to work in the registry. Would someone know what I need to type to point it to that file path?

A:Registry - point path to current user profile

Anyone know? =)

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/registry-point-path-to-current-user-profile.983337/
Relevancy 112.53%

Have a client with a win2k pc.
reports that 2 to 3 weeks ago, in the middle of the day, the workstation will display error:

terminal id xxxx c$\documents and settings\all users\program files . . . the network path was not found

If the user reboots, she cannot connect to her Win2k server/network.
The following morning however, she will be fine, until mid-day.

A:Win2k error c$\documents and settings network path not found

Have you scanned for viruses? Have you looked in the event log?

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/win2k-error-c-documents-and-settings-network-path-not-found.218353/
Relevancy 110.05%

Upgraded from Windows to Windows some months ago Original profile did not require password to log in and was not associated with a Google email or Microsoft account that I know of I added a user a couple of days ago added a personal account of mine with my own password from my laptop because software problem said try another user and this laptop computer didn't have any other users So I added one That was a mistake After I quot added a user quot I could ONLY log on the computer with the NEW user The old one the profile all the Added original User, user profile & / disappeared settings settings the playlists everything was gone Like it never existed There was and is no option to log on as the original The computer became an extension of my laptop with zero other option I had to add a third user and give it admin capabilities just to remove my laptop profile which I didn't really want on this computer I was just adding a user to quot try another user quot with a software problem But all my original settings seem gone I can see additional users in Windows Media Player for instance but it says I need permission to access those Since it is impossible to log on as any other user except this latest and third user I can't give myself permission to access those old playlists Adding a user should come with a warning If anyone has any ideas where I can recover the old settings I'd be grateful The threads I've seen around the web and here have directed to Windows workarounds which do not work for my machine

A:Added User, original user / profile & settings disappeared

Hello and welcome to the TenForums

It might be worth finding out all the users that are associated with your PC. To do this open a command prompt (right click on the Start button) and then type in the following command wmic useraccount list full

This will display all users on your system (including hidden ones) and if you paste the results here we can determine which accounts are still present. If you want to see more details of this process look in the tutorial: User Account Details - View in Windows 10

http://www.tenforums.com/user-accounts-family-safety/56470-added-user-original-user-profile-settings-disappeared.html
Relevancy 109.43%

Not sure how to title this post and get it all in.

I created a standard user profile. In this profile the user can see the Admin "My Documents" and "My Pictures" and so on.

I want them to have their own without my stuff in the lists.

I want to shorten the Start\"Programs" list.

In other words I want it to be like their own place. and control the programs in the list.

What they see is only what I want them to?

http://www.vistax64.com/general-discussion/262252-standard-user-profile-sees-my-documents.html
Relevancy 109.12%

When I started up it says Win.ini corrupt. Then it starts
up as a new user losing track of Favorites and Start Menu
and Desktop Icons, Display and Folder attributes. Under
Documents and Settings it has added Dave.U5R2D5 in
addition to Dave which still has all the information. I tried
switching the 2 Filenames to get back to what it used to be but
gave an error message and didn't do it and started another new file.
Is there some way to use the old Dave file?

A:Lost settings, New user made in Documents and Settings

Hiya asd123321.

It sounds like you`ve re-installed the system from CD over the top of an existing system, giving you a fresh `Dave`. Have you recently run a repair or indeed, done a clean install ?

As a work-around, can you take the documents & favourites from the old `Dave` and put them in the new `Dave` so at least you`re back up and running again.

Jenny

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/lost-settings-new-user-made-in-documents-and-settings.920132/
Relevancy 108.81%

I'm creating a new user profile and I want to have the same settings as an existing user account (desktop environment, etc.). Is there an easy way to just copy these old settings from the existing user account or must they all be manually netered and configured again for the new user account?

Relevancy 108.19%

Hello Sorry this got a little long user profile... Corrupted My deleted... Documents I have a Win x WinXP x dual-boot set up on my laptop I use XP for work and Win for play No Win drivers for my USB audio interface is the Corrupted user profile... My Documents deleted... primary reason for this Anyway I think that these two OS s got to fighting and Win won I was working on a project the other day all day in XP and that night when I had gotten to a satisfactory stopping point I saved and closed I then restarted into Win to do the facebook email news thing and then went and hung Corrupted user profile... My Documents deleted... out with my roommates for a bit Later when I wanted to show off the progress on my project - a carefully crafted MIDI drum track in Cakewalk SONAR - I came back and restarted my computer into XP Well I m greeted at the log-on screen with an error along the lines of quot windows cannot load your user profile quot and then spit into this brand new account that has assumed my name but has none of my settings I immediately went for my project which was in the My Documents folder with everything else but it was gone Not believing that Windows would stoop so low I went into Documents and Settings Matt and found that all the old stuff from my Desktop and the My Documents folders was there in its own folder I don t know why the back up now alarm in my head didn t go off but I simply humphed stupid Windows and just dragged the old My Documents contents to the new My Documents folder I also dragged all the old Desktop contents to my new Desktop Good as new Not good as new Having lost interest a few minutes into this my roommates had walked away so at this point I just turned my computer off Later before bed I wanted to listen to my project again to pat myself on the back before sleep Windows XP would not indulge my ego however Upon boot-up my Desktop contents were there but everything in the My Documents folder was gone Vanished I looked everywhere I could on that hard drive No dice Now I d just learned a bit about data recovery from when an external HDD of mine recently fell from my desk I know that files aren t really deleted until they re overwritten So I broke out my EASEUS Data Recovery Wizard Pro to go save my data from despair I found the majority of my stuff They were marked as deleted files Unfortunately most of the Cakewalk project files CWP won t open SONAR tells me they re corrupted I checked the raw audio files that are referenced within the projects only for the audio portions not MIDI and all that stuff is fine I had some other stuff too a few pictures some portable programs a movie all fine Just most of the SONAR project files are corrupted Just to be safe I tried using a different data recovery program GetDataBack but got the same results I don t understand why the files just disappeared in the first place What happened It was as if the nd-generation My Documents folder into which I dragged all my stuff from the rudely displaced original was replaced AGAIN with another rd-generation My Documents folder What sense does that make I also don t understand how the files became corrupted so quickly I ve successfully undeleted and dd rescue d MUCH older stuff than this in the past And what about all the other stuff that survived the current ordeal so easily Perhaps only the project files headers are corrupted and SONAR is just really sensitive to that kind of thing Well before I consider trying to repair those somehow I wanted to see if I could get System Restore to trick the computer into giving me valid copies of my project files I tried several restore points from before and after the catastrophe but all of the restores failed I think I ve read in the past that a Win XP dual-boot config wreaks havoc on XP s restore points Thankfully I found backups of all of the important projects but this newest one There are a few others I d like to save but this newest one is really all I need need I ve asked about ... Read more

A:Corrupted user profile... My Documents deleted...

Anyone?

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/corrupted-user-profile-my-documents-deleted.936966/
Relevancy 108.19%

Hi:

I am using Windows 7. Upon starting up, I received the error: "The User Profile Service failed the logon. User profile cannot be loaded.".

Following the instructions in this article, Method 3:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/947215

I deleted the User Profile using Computer/Properties/Change settings/System Properties/Advanced...

It fixed the login problem but completely evaporated the user and all of the documents. I can't find them anywhere.

Can someone confirm if this is so? This would be totally insane. Microsoft should at least warn you that following these instructions completely deletes all documents. I mean, they warn you about the potential risks of modifying the registry but they fail to mention that a "side effect" is that all your stuff is evaporated?!

Thanks for your help.

Relevancy 108.19%

I have 2 * Documents folders showing up under my username but they aren't actually duplicated on my D drive where they are physically stored. Neither are they duplicated in my library. "Interestingly" they both have a yellow exclamation mark on them. ANy help would hugely appreciated. Thanks Ian

http://www.eightforums.com/user-accounts-family-safety/46804-duplicate-documents-folders-under-user-profile-name.html
Relevancy 107.26%

I have XP SP3 machines in a domain. there's a policy for My Documents redirection to the network drive (each users have their own folder on the network drive). I would like to setup a dummy profile with all the appropriate settings. I copied the dummy profile to the default user profile; however, all the users logged on with My Documents mapped to the dummy profile. Is there anyway to fix this? Or can anyone suggest a better way to setup a standard profile?

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/299784/setuping-a-default-user-profile-with-my-documents-redirection/
Relevancy 107.26%

I have XP SP3 machines in a domain. there's a policy for My Documents redirection to the network drive (each users have their own folder on the network drive). I would like to setup a dummy profile with all the appropriate settings. I copied the dummy profile to the default user profile; however, all the users logged on with My Documents mapped to the dummy profile. Is there anyway to fix this? Or can anyone suggest a better way to setup a standard profile?

A:setuping a default user profile with My Documents redirection

Never copy a profile! it always turns out bad. just create a new profile / user name. group policies from the server can not be over written at the workstation level. the network admin will have to create a new group policy specifically for your system. if you are the admin you need to read up on group policy.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/setuping-a-default-user-profile-with-my-documents-redirection.907237/
Relevancy 106.02%

Hello Thanks Profile documents, ALL of results in possible etc. User pics, Issues loss for reading this post Here s what has happened A few days ago I tried to turn on my laptop as usual and received the following message quot User Profile Service service failed to logon quot I then googled User Profile Issues results in possible loss of ALL documents, pics, etc. the problem from my phone and followed a youtube tutorial about how to start up in safe mode and then fix the problem by messing around in the registry sorry I can t describe it better - I am not very technology savvy Here is the link to the tutorial www youtube com watch v d zKj iXL At this point I can t remember exactly what I did because I read several other websites regarding this problem I have since been able to log on to my user account but it generally appears as a default account None of my settings or documents are visible I also tried System Restore which did not work I know that there are tons of other threads regarding this problem and some of them I ve read however each person s problem seems to be slightly different and I couldn t find a solution that has worked for me Please Help Me Recover My Old Documents I appreciate it nbsp

A:User Profile Issues results in possible loss of ALL documents, pics, etc.

Have you done a search on your puter for your documents and pictures? Maybe they got stored somewhere else?

Did you back up your Registry before "messing around" in it? The Registry is basically the brains of a puter. You shouldn't tinker with it unless you're absolutely positive that you know what you're doing. If you backed it up first, it should save right into C:/

Good luck, kconway!

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/user-profile-issues-results-in-possible-loss-of-all-documents-pics-etc.1107700/
Relevancy 105.4%

I love this site you volunteers are most helpful and knowledgeable PC HPOS Windows XP Media Center Edition Version Service Pack PROBLEM Whenever I navigate to quot Windows Internet Connection Error in and message Explorer: Settings\My Profile" "Documents C Documents and Settings My Profile quot where quot My Profile quot is my user folder in Windows Explorer I receive the following error message Internet Connection ErrorYour request cannot be completed because the Internet Connection Error message in Windows Explorer: "Documents and Settings\My Profile" service couldnot be found or did not respond The service might beexperiencing technical difficulties or you may need to adjustyour network settings Try Again Cancel note There is an extra space before the first quot service quot and I don t recall seeing a similar typo in other Windows error messages I must press quot Cancel quot three times successively as three identical error messages pop up This happens every time this folder is navigated to It does not happen with any of the other profile folders in quot Documents and Settings quot This problem cropped up after I ran the disk cleanup tool and uninstalled unwanted programs and windows components Chief on my list of suspects are the uninstall of quot Outlook quot and quot HP Customer Participation quot I m not certain of the exact program name but the description said it was for HP owners to be included in market research and be informed of special offers I also uninstalled quot Windows Live Messenger quot quot Sonic RecordNow DVD quot and there may have been a few others but the only ones I distinctly recall were programs my mom installed and were not vital or used by other programs The windows components I removed were quot Internet Games quot in the quot Games quot branch of quot Accessories and Utilities quot a couple screen savers and quot Windows Dancer quot and quot Windows Party Mode quot under the quot Windows Digital Media enhancements quot branch quot Windows Messenger quot Intriguingly when I just opened the Windows Components Wizard to see what I had changed the quot Networking Services quot box is shaded and I m almost certain it was not shaded when I used the Wizard earlier and I did not make any changes to that branch I also have no idea what was checked before but currently quot Internet Gateway Device Discovery and Control Client quot is the only checked box After running the disk clean-up I defragged this drive and created a system restore point I am now thinking it has something to do with the change to quot Networking Services quot Again this only happens in my user folder and only on that screen If I were to click on quot Application Data quot nothing would happen but if I were to navigate backwards to that screen the error would pop up times in a row again Thank you in advance for your assessment

A:Internet Connection Error message in Windows Explorer: "Documents and Settings\My Profile"

Hi .Have you tried running chkdsk from My Computer/Explorer?XP Chkdsk, Using the Graphical Version (My Computer) - http://www.updatexp.com/windows-xp-chkdsk.html Scroll down to directions for using the Graphical interface.You might also take a look at Event Viewer and see if there are any clues, How To Use Event Viewer - http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/40108/how-to-use-event-viewer/ Louis

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/218757/internet-connection-error-message-in-windows-explorer-documents-and-settingsmy-profile/
Relevancy 103.85%

I made a new user account under Windows XP Pro and deleted my old one. Then I saw the old user's folder. I tired to delete it but I couldn't and an error message popped up:

That folder is 3.48 GB heavy and contains over 13000 files.
I also tried to take ownership of that folder. No luck.

So, please, if you know how to solve this problem, let me know.

Me.

A:Documents and Settings\User

Hi

Firstly you can run chkdsk - hopefully that will sort out the strange file name:
To do this go to Start -> Run -> type chkdsk c: /r -> click Ok . When asked if you want to force a dismount say No. When asked to schedule the check at the next startup say Yes. Restart your PC to allow chkdsk to run.

Then you can download Unlocker, save it to your hard drive and install it.
Once installed
-Right click on the User folder
-Select Unlocker
-In the Unlocker screen choose Delete under action
-If any processes are locking the folder select Unlock All, If no locking handles are found press OK

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f10/documents-and-settings-user-523004.html
Relevancy 103.85%

Hi

For a while now ive had a mini network, 1 machine running NT server and 2 using xp pro.

The xp machines have files stored on the server but loads of their own personal shortcuts, email preferences, etc etc. Everythings been great, but the server was getting old in the tooth

I finally got a new pc with server 2003 on it, set it up easily enough, copied files onto a mini disk and moved, and if i enter a username/password i can access it fine from both xp pro machines.

The problem is, when i change the login domain on the xp pro machines i lose all the local settings (i think a new profile is created). Is there a painless way to keep the old settings and just change the domain?. Ive read most the microsoft articles, and it is kind of confusing.

Thanks

A:Change domain but keep profile settings?

If they are roaming profiles a copy is also stored on the workstation so when they are authenticated on the new server the profiles will sync up to the new server. You do need to specify a profile location for the new user accounts. Be safe and back them up to disk from the old server in case the profiles do not transfer.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/change-domain-but-keep-profile-settings.473673/
Relevancy 103.54%

Is there an easy way to have a profile for every user than logs on to a machine with the desktop, pinned programs, theme, wallpaper, and favorites already set?

In Windows XP all I did was set up a profile how I wanted it under Administrator, logged on to another administrator account, and copied the NTUSER.DAT file from the Administrator to override the one in Default User. After that I logged back into Administrator to delete all the other user accounts. This doesn't seem to work with Windows 7, and there is both "Default" and "Default User" profiles.

A:Default user profile settings

I'd like to figure this out as well. I have this tutorial I haven't been able to try yet.

"I got this to work, but it's no where near as elegant as with XP and Vista via the User Profile "copy to" method above:

Customize a user profile as needed
Go to Control Panel and create a new dummy admininstrator
Reboot, log in as the dummy admin
Browse to C: and go into the Folder settings and Show all hidden/system files
Browse to C:\Users and CTRL-drag the Default folder to make a second (backup) copy of it
Browse to C:\Users and CTRL-drag the customized user profile to make a second copy of it
SHIFT-DEL the original Default folder
Rename the customized folder copy to Default
Create a new dummy admin and reboot/log in to test it

I've not tested this extensively yet but this seemed to work with the exception that the desktop background pic was gone leaving a black background. I fixed this easily by re-selecting the correct background pic.

I really hope that MS restores the previous method as this seems very sketchy to me and I'd hate to have to use this in a production environment"

Windows 7 RC1 Default User Profile

http://www.sevenforums.com/general-discussion/16137-default-user-profile-settings.html
Relevancy 103.23%

i want to change the name in the red circle...my account name from control panel says its Jeff. and the licensed owner is jeff....i want that changed to jeff please....can i get some help?

A:How Do I Change The User Profile Name?

Hello,

In the User accounts section on control panel there should be an option to change the name. However this does not change the name in the command prompt or the documents and settings. I had this problem a while back and the solution I chose was to create another account with the correct name and transfer my files accross to the new account then deleting my old one. Its a lot of hassle, but it fixed the problem.

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/139836/how-do-i-change-the-user-profile-name/
Relevancy 103.23%

Hello and thank you for your help.

I need to change a user profile name on a laptop using Windows XP -

I have searched but can't find how to do this.

How do I proceed please?

Thank you

Relevancy 103.23%

When shutting my desktop, Windows-7 automatically downloaded its latest update, asking me not to power off my PC.
The next day I started my PC and a window appeared asking me to either create-a-new-profile or select an existing profile.
Not knowing which profile I've been happily using, I chose "Default" profile.
Windows started but...
I lost all my bookmarks
Some of my cookies were erased so I had to enter my user-id and password at sites I visit daily.
On the right-portion where I enter URL's of sites I visit; there used-to-be a "search" field, it's gone.
How can I go back to where I can select the user-profile; before Windows did its latest update ??
It's definitely not the one I erroneously chose (default)

Thank You
Class59

http://www.sevenforums.com/general-discussion/393300-how-i-change-my-user-profile.html
Relevancy 103.23%

h

how to change from default profil to hp-HP\hp (my profil)?
please help me, cause frequent error

sorry for bad english

A:how to change user profile ?

dimashandoyo you want to change your Windows account Username?

http://www.sevenforums.com/general-discussion/306153-how-change-user-profile.html
Relevancy 102.92%

Hi all I ve been building a modest PC so that I can simply run my games emulators through my plasma TV as temp profile' 'Cannot profile create issues. User well as films and music I m using the old D from my other computer which holds all the games films and music After a nightmarish days of hardware problems I finally have XP installed but my current roblem comes when I log on and at the windows startup screen I User profile issues. 'Cannot create temp profile' get the message - Windows cannot create temporary profile directory This may be caused by insufficiant security rights Which is then followed by this message - Windows cannot load the user profile but has logged you on with the default profile for the system So I am on windows but nothing works because I need administrator right and permissions to run programs like my emulators or at least to take ownership of them to make them run I went to user accounts in the control panel to mess about but any changes I try to make are met with the message - Object required I have googled the problem and there seems to be absolutely zero information on it The microsoft site had a small section about part of it but the fix it gave was completely useless and did nothing Can anyone here help with this I m at my wits end being so close Thanks System specs below - Giabyte ga- pvm-s GB Ram Asus Eah Graphics card Terratec DMX fire sound User profile issues. 'Cannot create temp profile' card nbsp

Relevancy 102.92%

Hi this is my first post here, thanks for helping!

The store where I bought my computer from used my full name when installing Win XP Pro.

I'm concerned about security, particularly when surfing, so I'd rather not have my full name being used in the Documents and Settings folder.

Can someone please tell me how to get my name out of the system please?

Thank you!

Relevancy 102.92%

Hi all
I've been installing / uninstalling stuff while testing on a CLEAN install of W7 (x-64).

I see now one of the directories (Documents and settings username1) is now 7GB.

The WHOLE OS only takes around 14 GB .

I can't see what's taking up the space -- is there any nice utility that clearly can show Disk usage in a sort of cloured pie / bar chart etc rather like the nice Linux utility DU. (I've enabled "show hidden files etc").

I'm sure it's all related to me installing / uninstalling stuff but Windows explorer is a HORRIBLE tool for "Cleaning up" disks etc. It's fine for everyday purposes but for this type of stuff it's not the correct tool.

Cheers
jimbo

A:Documents and settings - user user1 7 GB HELP

Hi Jimbo,

Have a look at this TreeSize Free https://www.jam-software.de/customer...80&language=EN

http://www.sevenforums.com/general-discussion/10012-documents-settings-user-user1-7-gb-help.html
Relevancy 102.92%

Windows XP. Am sorting out a computer for a friend. Under Control Panel/User Accounts it just shows 1 - his name. However, if I look at C:\Documents and Settings, there are 4 entries:
Administrator, [4MB] All Users, [37MB] Default Users [487KB] and the name of his daughter who used to own the computer [4GB]. Are all these necessary? I tried to change the last one to his name but it told me it was a system file and could not be renamed. I located the profile in the Registry - is it safe to delete the one in his daughter's name?

Thanks

Relevancy 102.92%

I recently replaced my motherboard which because my new one is a different chipset than my old one, required me to repair my windows install. Rather than do that and possibly lose a bunch of stuff in My Documents folder and my extensive Favorites I opted to just do a new install on another partition. So far everything has worked fine but when I tried to get into my old Admin files in my "Documents & Settings" Folder it gave me a red x and said Access Denied.

Anyone know how I get around this and into this folder?

A:Help Accesing Old User Documents & Settings?

Google for "Take Ownership of Files". It's an easy fix.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/help-accesing-old-user-documents-settings.449685/
Relevancy 102.92%

Hi,
I reinstalled XP3 on my pc which has a corrupted XP2 preinstalled without formatting the drive. After everything's set I still have my previous user accounts in the C:\Documents and Settings. Please help me erase this as it is eating up the memory.
Thanks a lot.

A:Old user accounts on C:\Documents and Settings!

When you go to Start>Control Panel>User Accounts do you see the old accounts?

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f10/old-user-accounts-on-c-documents-and-settings-328680.html
Relevancy 102.92%

Hi my name s David I turned on my computer today and found all my settings my desktop icons my favourites my playlists in Media Player etc were all missing All my programs thought I was using them for the first time it was as if I was a new user When I searched for a document I d saved to the desktop I found it in Documents and Settings David In fact all my documents and pictures were there Documents in Settings and Second User Folder However in Documents and Settings there now appears to be a second user folder called David DAVID- BA C that doesn t contain any of my documents or settings and I appear to be accessing that account instead of my normal user account So my computer has created a second rogue account that I am logged in as I tried to Change User but the only option was David and that took me back to the Second User Folder in Documents and Settings David DAVID- BA C desktop I am the only person who uses my computer I tried changing the name of the user account from David to Steve in Control Panel User Accounts This had the affect of changing the name of Documents and Settings David My Documents to Documents and Settings David Steve s Documents However when I tried to change users the only option was called Steve and it took me back to the David DAVID- BA C desktop This means that any changes I make to my user settings the computer applies to David and Windows thinks I am David but I can only log in as David DAVID- BA C This is causing a number of problems for my programs such as Live Messenger which won t let me sign in Please help me I would be happy to supply any futher details nbsp

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/second-user-folder-in-documents-and-settings.987887/
Relevancy 102.92%

Can anyone explain to me why I have five "user" folders in C:Documents and Settings ? They are "Administrator", "Owner", "All Users", "Default User", and "Administrator+computer name". Under User Accts. in Control Panel, there is only "Owner(computer administrator)" and "Guest(account off)". The first five seem to make Explorer very bloated and confusing to me. Do I really need all five folders and if so what purpose do they serve?
Thanks

A:Why are there so many "user" folders in C:Documents and Settings?

Hello and welcome,

Each one of those folders represents a user on that system. The amount of folders varies due to how many users and what software is using the computer. Windows XP and Vista don't show these accounts in the user accounts section of the control panel without editing the registry. I would leave the accounts on the system for now.

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/231222/why-are-there-so-many-user-folders-in-cdocuments-and-settings/
Relevancy 102.92%

Hi my name's David I turned on my computer today and found all my settings my desktop icons my favourites my playlists in Media Player etc were all missing All my programs thought I was using them for the first time it was as if I was a new user When I searched for a document I'd saved to the desktop I found it in Documents and Settings David In Folder Settings Documents in and User Second fact all my documents and pictures were there However in Documents and Settings there Second User Folder in Documents and Settings now appears to be a second user folder called David DAVID- BA C that doesn't contain any of my documents or settings and I appear Second User Folder in Documents and Settings to be accessing that account instead of my normal user Second User Folder in Documents and Settings account So my computer has created a second rogue account that I am logged in as I tried to Change User but the only option was 'David' and that took me back to the David DAVID- BA C desktop I am the only person who uses my computer I tried changing the name of the user account from 'David' to 'Steve' in Control Panel User Accounts This had the affect of changing the name of Documents and Settings David My Documents to Documents and Settings David Steve's Documents However when I tried to change users the only option was called 'Steve' and it took me back to the David DAVID- BA C desktop This means that any changes I make to my user settings the computer applies to 'David' and Windows thinks I am 'David' but I can only log in as 'David DAVID- BA C ' This is causing a number of problems for my programs such as Live Messenger which won't let me sign in Please help me I would be happy to supply any futher details

A:Second User Folder in Documents and Settings

try creating a new user account and see if you can access that ok, and create a new document (anything will do). If you are ok accessing that, then migrate all your docs over to the new account. Hope the following will give you some idea: How to copy data from a corrupted user profile to a new profile in Windows XP

Can you post back and let me know if you are able to create and access a new user account.

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f10/second-user-folder-in-documents-and-settings-560918.html
Relevancy 102.92%

I recently replaced my motherboard which because my new one is a different chipset than my old one, required me to repair my windows install. Rather than do that and possibly lose a bunch of stuff in My Documents folder and my extensive Favorites I opted to just do a new install on another partition. So far everything has worked fine but when I tried to get into my old Admin files in my "Documents & Settings" Folder it gave me a red x and said Access Denied.

Anyone know how I get around this and into this folder?

A:Help Accessing old User Documents & Settings?

You would have been just fine doing a repair install.
http://www.michaelstevenstech.com/XPrepairinstall.htm

Take Ownership of the folders and files.
http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q=XP+Take+Ownership

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f10/help-accessing-old-user-documents-and-settings-93029.html
Relevancy 102.92%

I had a registry problem in that when I booted up my laptop it said a hive file for the SOFTWARE key was damaged I fixed this by going into recovery console and restoring the registry backup So now Windows starts again and everything is good All of my files are still in tact However my settings are all gone Even though Settings Folders User in and Documents my files are on the hard drive the appearance of everything is as if Windows has just been installed In Documents and Settings the reason is revealed My user folder in there was Jon Jon is still there and Windows says I m logged in as Jon but in the Documents and Settings folder there is a Jon JONSLAPTOP folder and I am assuming Windows loaded with the settings from THAT folder which I User Folders in Documents and Settings assume was created when recovery console fixed the registry hive file My question is is there a quick User Folders in Documents and Settings fix to getting my settings back Can I just copy everything from Jon into Jon JONSLAPTOP and then rename it Jon and delete the other Jon Or are there settings in this new Jon JONSLAPTOP folder that I need to make Windows bootup now Anyone nbsp

A:User Folders in Documents and Settings

Oh, and also, I've noticed, some programs give me a "this action is only valid for products that are currently installed" error message, and I think it's saying that because when said programs were installed, this 'Jon.JONSLAPTOP' folder didn't exist, and therefore that user didn't get privleges to use it. Which still doesn't make sense because XP says I'm still logged in as 'Jon', the same user from before, but using settings I assume from 'Jon.JONSLAPTOP' instead of 'Jon'.

If anyone can help me with this I'd appreciate it. If not I'm gonna format my hard drive tomorrow.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/user-folders-in-documents-and-settings.312643/
Relevancy 102.92%

I find one user account name called "default user" in C:/documents and settings.

I wonder what it's all about.

A:what is default user in documents and settings

Whenever a new user logs on (the first time), Windows copies the settings from the Default User profile (located at Documents and Settings\Default User) to the newly created user profile. In other words, the Default User profile is as a template which Windows uses in order to initialize new profiles/logins.

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f10/what-is-default-user-in-documents-and-settings-554876.html
Relevancy 102.61%

On Friday User loading profile not settings/preferences I went to my computer and my entire user profile appeared to be corrupted I have my main admin account and my User profile not loading settings/preferences girlfriend has her own user account not admin When starting up into my main admin user account I had an error message for Settings ini being used by a different process My other problems are as follows - All app User profile not loading settings/preferences icons pinned to taskbar became icons of blank pages - My gadgets do not appear on the desktop - When trying to access Windows Help and Support I get what looks like a txt stating quot Windows Help and Support encountered a problem You might be able to resolve the problem by restarting Windows Help and Support quot Restarting does nothing - Any Windows searches I attempt both in the Windows Explorer bar at the top right or in the search field in the start menu return results any time I search - Many icons when clicked either do nothing i e Firefox or give me an error message along the lines of quot not able to load critical files for this application to run Specifically Skype When trying to open MediaMonkey for example I get an error saying quot The directory C Users My girlfriend's user profile AppData Local MediaMonkey cannot be created quot Something along these lines happened with a different application notifying me that it was not able to access C Users Girlfriend's profile name AppData Local etc - Google Chrome is not able to read nor write to its original location and forces me to choose another It does not save this state and asks me each time I open Chrome Also all bookmarks and settings prefs have disappeared - Many different applications act as if it is the first time I open them each time I open them No settings preferences or history is saved after the application is closed After doing a significant amount of searching and very basic diagnostics I believe what has happened is that my user profile is attempting to read all preferences and settings from my girlfriend's user account When logging onto her account I have absolutely no problems with accessing the same applications I have troubles with on my account I seem to have no personal preferences nor changes I have made to my account saved Or if they are saved they are in my C Users My acccount AppData etc and instead of reading my AppData folder Windows is reading her AppData folder and files many of which would not even exist on her account causing errors in many applications I have gone into msconfig and disabled all non-MS services as well as trying to enable all startup items and disable all startup items The problem still persists Does anyone have any insights to this issue How might I direct Windows to read my preferences and settings from my user account and not default to another -- if that is indeed what is going on here I feel it would be good to note that on Thursday night near midnight my girlfriend downloaded Yahoo Messenger When I went to her user account there were several appx photos of a blonde girl some pornographic in nature that were sitting directly on the desktop When checking the properties of the photos they were created on Friday morning around - am She denies all knowledge of these photos There is a chance I suppose that I was hacked thru YM and the pics were downloaded then and something malicious was done to my settings I ran MalwareBytes and my AVG Internet Security virus malware scans and nothing was detected on my machine My girlfriend also has not used her personal user account for quite some time several weeks to a month She always uses mine Thank you for any assistance you might be able to lend -John

A:User profile not loading settings/preferences

Run Eset (online scanner) on both accounts Free ESET Online Antivirus Scanner

http://www.sevenforums.com/system-security/80689-user-profile-not-loading-settings-preferences.html
Relevancy 102.61%

Okay so I ve got myself into quite a problem All started off with me trying to transfer my home folder to a different drive other than profile settings - drives multiple over help User the main OS stuff one I achieved it Managed to move all my documents User profile settings help - over multiple drives and tell Vista to look in the F drive for my profiles User profile settings help - over multiple drives now not C Problem is in the process I ve lost all my settings application stuff wallpapers etc All these settings are still sitting in the C drive and I can t simply copy them to the new profile in the F drive making sense because they re protected or something So basically what I need is a way to copy settings from a profile in the C drive to a profile in the F drive I ve tried using quot Configure advanced user profile properties quot and it would work it s just that the profile I want to copy from is sitting in the wrong drive Vista can t see it and I can t move it Any help would be appreciated Thanks nbsp

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/user-profile-settings-help-over-multiple-drives.734652/
Relevancy 102.3%

How can I specify my user profile to be on another partiion rather than c:. I've got all the stuff I want in My Documents on my E: partition. Thank you. I'm using Win XP Pro

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/change-user-profile-drive.60266/
Relevancy 102.3%

Hi! I want to know how to change a user profile name on an XP account. I have a account on this computer but then I want to change the name because the name has some weird characters in it that some programs don't recognize. The name i want to change is the user name that comes in the folder Documents and Settings in the Local C drive. Can anyone help me with this?

Someone told me that I might have to create a new account and then transfer the data from the other user profile 9as in from my current account) but I am not sure if this is what to do or how exactly to do this!

Thank You for taking your time to read this and helping me!

Relevancy 102.3%

I recently changed the user name profile of my laptop. Prior to the change, my user name was: C:\user\oldlaptop\... and it would have a padlock on it. I assumed that this meant it was an administrator account. Now, when I search in C:\user, I find both the new user name (newlaptop) AND the previous user name (oldlaptop) with a padlock attached to each of them. There are also two other folders in the User folder. One is Public, which I believe needs to be there, and the other is Default. The Default folder is greyed out.
When I go into User Accounts, all I see is Newlaptop. It is an administrator account. Can I delete the oldlaptop user folder or should I take some other steps first to see if it is still in use?

A:having issues with user name profile change

If you are nearly out of room on the hard drive, then you can remove the user profile (folders/files). Otherwise, just leave it.

If you opt to remove the folder/files, let Windows do it.
Restart the computer
Log on to an admin account that you plan to keep

Start > Control Panel > Add or remove user accounts

Select the account to the removed...
...and then select Delete the account.

http://www.sevenforums.com/general-discussion/296570-having-issues-user-name-profile-change.html
Relevancy 101.68%

How to properly Change the name portion of C:\Documents and Settings\Name.
If there already exists this solution, please point me to some help
Thank you
Lainee

A:How to properly Change the name portion of C:\Documents and Settings\Name

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/how-to-properly-change-the-name-portion-of-c-documents-and-settings-name.426245/
Relevancy 101.68%

How can i change the account names in Documents & Settings. i got the name changed but ??
Thanx Dave

A:Change The Account Names In Documents & Settings.

If you're referring to having changed the name of a user account, then right click on the folder & choose Rename.

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/136197/change-the-account-names-in-documents-settings/
Relevancy 101.68%

during startup i get a pop-up displaying message Windows cannot find C:\Documents and Settings\user\give.exe.

in addition when sutting down, it says end program-sylePromotion.exe,
which then shows the program is not responding.I have to choose End Now
for pc to continue shutdown.

The pc is not connecting to the internet and is becoming very slow. Am i virus infected? have scanned with AVG 9.0 but nothing is found.

can anyone please help?

thanx

DB

A:Windows cannot find C:\Documents and Settings\user\giv.exe

Hello and welcome to TSF.

We want all our members to perform the steps outlined in the link given below, before posting for assistance. There's a sticky at the top of this forum, and a
Quote:

Having problems with spyware and pop-ups? First Steps

link at the top of each page.

Please follow our pre-posting process outlined here:

http://www.techsupportforum.com/f50/...lp-305963.html

Download the tools needed to a flash drive or other removable media, and transfer them to the infected computer, if you don't have access to internet.

After running through all the steps, you shall have a proper set of logs. Please post them in a new topic, as this one shall be closed.

If you have trouble with one of the steps, simply move on to the next one, and make note of it in your reply.

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f100/windows-cannot-find-c-documents-and-settings-user-giv-exe-452348.html
Relevancy 101.68%

I was forced to reinstall Windows one time, but I didn't wipe out my hard drive. So now I have these files in my C:\Documents and Settings\{old user account name} that I can't seem to get rid of.
Everytime I try to delete the folder or files within the folder, an error message says, "Cannot delete {folder/file name}: Access is denied. Make sure the disk is not full or write-protected and that the file is not currently in use."
This seems strange because my hard drive is only 50% full and the file cannot possibly be in use because it's not affiliated with Windows anymore, since I reinstalled it.
I want to delete it because these files take up hundreds of megabytes and creates fragments in my hard drive.
Help would be appreciated.

A:Deleting old user documents and settings files.

See this KB to Take ownership of the files/folders you want to delete

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f10/deleting-old-user-documents-and-settings-files-105525.html
Relevancy 101.68%

Alrite ive got an emachines notebook running xp home on it We bought it from best buy and i guess they registered the computer to a valued customer and its really annoying Idk how the user name stuff works but i think a while ago not positive cuz it was like years ago when we first got the computer i changed the admin valued User few a :) and Settings? just Documents questions names? customer name to my name but the my documents folder defaulted to c documents and settings valued customer still i fixed it by making a folder on c with my name and made that folder the target location for the My Documents folder but i was just wondering if there was any way to Documents and Settings? User names? just a few questions :) get rid of that dumb c documents and settings valued customer folder every time i delete it it comes back and if there was any way that i Documents and Settings? User names? just a few questions :) could change the computer from being registered to valued customer to me thanks for the help in advance guys nbsp

A:Documents and Settings? User names? just a few questions :)

You'd have to make a new account. Then get on the admin account, change the new account to admin, then get on the new admin account and delete the 'valued customer.'
That should work...
Experience: so so, still learning (i like that)
-blitze

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/documents-and-settings-user-names-just-a-few-questions.389788/
Relevancy 101.68%

I m new to XP and this forum and I m struggling with the multiple users environment The background is I got a new PC from DELL with XP pre loaded When prompted to enter names of users I listed four myself my wife and two children A day or so later I decided to alter things to three users deleting one of the children filesin user Spurious settings name and 'documents s accounts and re-naming the Spurious user name filesin 'documents and settings other as Kids Everything is fine on the log in screens - and it all works great BUT when I looked in Documents and Settings I saw the old child s account still listed and a duplicate of my wifes file but with the extension DELL So instead of seeing Kids Sheila Mike along with the all users shared etc etc I get something unexpected Kids Rachel Sheila Sheila DELL Mike It gets more confusing to me at least I ve had to do a couple of system restores problems with old device drivers for old devices and I m now seeing Kids Rachel Sheila Sheila Sheila DEL Sheila DELL Mike Something to do with the restorer I figured but if so why do all the spurious user files contain different sub folders Why are extra files generated for one user only Why is a deleted username still there I d love to get to the bottom of it cos I don t like what I don t understand Also it would make life easier when configuring each users start desktop etc options if I new which file was the real one I ve tried just deleting the weird ones but as you d imagine that just screws up their start menu and desktop etc Any ideas And whilst I m here is there any way to install a program onto a limited users account and no others whilst they are logged on and from within their environment Did I once see a pop up screen allowing me to select a different user and password or was I just wishing one would appear Appreciate any help thanks nbsp

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/spurious-user-name-filesin-documents-and-settings.145406/
Relevancy 101.68%

I am trying to open a user folder on a backup image I have.

It is an Acronis True Image backup and mounts a virtual drive you can then access.

The error I receive when trying to open the 'user' folder is:

----------------------

G:\Documents and Settings\user is not accessible.

Access Is Denied

----------------------

I have tried to turn of simple file sharing and add my the administrator to the permission but am not able to.

The Add... Button is greyed out.

If i go to the Advanced section and Owner tab.

I receive: You only have permission to view the current owner on user.

The only areas I can edit are the Auditing ones.

Any idea on how I can get access to my files short of re imaging this backup to a disk?

Thanks

Relevancy 101.37%

We have this image installed on about 7 laptops and they are all having the same issue. The issue is that, the user logs into the Win XP laptop which is on a domain, changes her desktop picture, changes her screen res and moves her desktop icon in different places. After the user logs off and logs back in the setting revert back to the default settings. I have checked the defalut user NT USER file and it is not .man. Does anyone have any ideas.

Thanks

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/solved-windows-not-keeping-the-user-profile-settings.715792/
Relevancy 101.37%

So I got a BSOD whilst playing Battlefield 2 last night, actually the fourth BSOD of the day, and my Windows installation failed to boot, giving me a 0x7b stop error.

Now I've tried allsorts to fix this, such as CHKDSK and FIXMBR. Now after performing these steps I was promted with a corrupted Hal.dll, so I installed a new copy of windows to a 500GB drive and copied the Hal.dll over from there. However, I was again promted with the 0x7b stop error.

So, my current situation. I've decided just to go to the neww install of Windows 7 and copy my profile and settings over. Now in the past I've done this dozens of times using the Windows Easy Transfer Wizard, but unfortunatley I don't have an up to date backup of my profile.

So, do any of the microsoft guru's have a solution for this please?

A:Recovering user profile/settings from corrupted windows....

There is no reason to copy hal.dll to a new Windows 7 installation.

Wipe the HDD with KillDisk then install Windows 7.

Upon reaching desktop, allow Windows Updates in - www.update.microsoft.com

Then validate your Windows 7 OS - www.microsoft.com/genuine

Regards. . .

jcgriff2

`

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f217/recovering-user-profile-settings-from-corrupted-windows-524860.html
Relevancy 101.37%

There is a very strange user popping up in several User Rights Assignments in this computer's Local Security Settings. It's name is comprised of a long string of numbers, hyphens ( - ) and has a asterik ( * ) at the beginning. I'm trying to find out what it belongs to, but I can't seem to find a way to do this.

Would you please tell me how to find out what program or who this user belongs to?

As tempting as it is to simply remove every entry completely, I would like to eliminate the possibility of it being remnants from a virus/trojan that the antivirus scans removed recently.

A:Mysterious User Profile in Local Security Settings... please help.

Did you delete a user recently? I don't remember the asterisk being there, but if you delete a user, then the Security tab will show his security ID instead.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/mysterious-user-profile-in-local-security-settings-please-help.810679/
Relevancy 101.37%

I am going to partition the drive into C and D so the OS and programs are on C and all data is on D, then take an image of C. This is so that, even though I may have data backups, the data is safe should the OS need a reinstall.

What is the proper way to point each user's account to their own 'My Documents' on 'D'? Is it best to right click on My Documents, click Properties, then either 'Move' or 'Find Target'? If so which, and is there a better way of doing this? If this is not the correct way from a Documents and Settings point of view, what is the proper way to make Windows point to 'My Documents' on the D drive?

Many thanks
Ian

A:How to change each User's My Documents location?

It isn't simple, and it is for experienced users, but it is explained in XP Unleashed.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/how-to-change-each-users-my-documents-location.992526/
Relevancy 101.06%

I am networking among others Win machines and Win machine One of the Win 's used the same user name and password as the Win machine I wanted to in Folder User Name Profile Change C:\Users fix it so that the two usernames and passwords were different--specifically I wanted to alter the Win user name and password I though first about just changing the username on the Win machine but recalled that doing so would not change the related user profile folder name in C Users I could not recall how to do so I found this tutorial on our Windows forum From a thread on the our Win forum I learned that the procedures of the tutorial also apply to Win maybe there is a related Win tutorial that I didn't find After reading through the tutorial I was uncertain about a few things and also could not figure out why proceeding as described would be advantageous in regard to what seemed like an easier way to get at least mostly the same result So instead of using the tutorial I added a new administrative user--the level I wanted having the user name and password I wanted Copied the files and desktop items shortcuts and a few folders I would need from the old account desktop to the new account desktop Did minor desktop customization on the new desktop I usually don't Change User Profile Folder Name in C:\Users do much theme-wise Deleted the old account and all was good once I joined my HomeGroup and shared a few not HomeGroup items The stage now is set to do an a Change User Profile Folder Name in C:\Users Win Win Lion and Mt Lion networking experiment that I am interested in I had though that some programs and shortcuts might not work but was unconcerned since the computer and its installation are quot old quot I figured that I would just add things back as needed if there were problems As it turns out Change User Profile Folder Name in C:\Users all the programs and shortcuts worked Anyway I am curious about if and why it might have been advantageous to do things the tutorial way rather than the way I did them It seems to me that the fuss and bother is somewhat less the way I proceeded All discussion and thoughts appreciated

A:Change User Profile Folder Name in C:\Users

Hello znod,

I agree that it is best and safer to create a new account instead of trying to rename the old user profile folder.

The tutorial is just how to do it if one really wants to, but I do have the note at the top of the tutorial that would be best to create a new account instead.

http://www.eightforums.com/user-accounts-family-safety/15107-change-user-profile-folder-name-c-users.html
Relevancy 101.06%

I use a Lenovo T issued to me by my employer based in another city they use a network I never connect to except remotely via exchange It has Vista SP and Office Pro My employer set up the machine and over time have User = Change Profile Workgroup Deleted changed the user profile that I use a few times My profiles have administrator privileges we'll call them desired profile and current profile While logged into desired profile I was trying to network between my home XP desktop Linksys router and said Lenovo I changed the workgroup in system properties previously it was quot WORKGROUP quot to match the workgroup name on the XP I also messed with quot Network ID quot though I cancelled out of the wizard once it asked for a PIN Me OK Change Workgroup = Deleted User Profile on system properties Windows Restart to complete changes Me OK Windows Restarts to login screen of previous unused admin profile current with no option to switch to desired profile Under C users my desired folder still exists with all data intact Under Settings Control Panel Users desired profile is not there only current admin profile Change Workgroup = Deleted User Profile and guest Thus I cannot login to desired profile where my working data and Outlook are located How do I reinstate my desired profile The oldest restore point available is dated later than my changes to profile though I'm not sure that would do it I tried creating another admin account with the desired name but you probably knew that wouldn't work either I will transfer all data to and reconfigure Outlook on current profile but do not wish to I appreciate your replies Sb

A:Change Workgroup = Deleted User Profile

Forgot to mention, that I shared the C and D drives. I wanted to be able to transfer files between the two computers.

Before I changed the workgroup I could see the shared drives on the XP but no access them, but could not see the Lenovo from the XP obviously. Now, it's the same. I shared all of C on the XP, but cannot access any folder I have not specifically shared.

Sb

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f217/change-workgroup-deleted-user-profile-437176.html
Relevancy 101.06%

greetings!

i want to change the location path for the whole system user proflies. i tried the KB from microsoft and they explain how to modify an user proflie but that is not what i want to do. i tried the system variable environment but seem not to work for administrator users or it not work at all. what i want to do is to change the location, for example, instead of users profiles to be stored in c:\documents and settings\ i want them in other partition as d:\documents and settings\ but for the whole system. meaning that apply for All Users, Default User, Guest, Administrator, and so on.

any procedure to acomplish it?

any help is welcome...

A:Solved: change user profile location

There seems to be some fairly good directions here and here, uless you have seen that already.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/solved-change-user-profile-location.561245/
Relevancy 100.75%

C:/Documents and Settings/Uses(My Username)/Local Settings/Temp/browserview-1d31630.htm

This file, and all the files with the name 'browserview-xxxxxx(number).htm are needed, mine got corrupted and I accidentally deleted them.

Can someone post these files?

A:C:/Documents and Settings/Uses(My Username)/Local Settings/Temp/browserview-1d31630.h

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/c-documents-and-settings-uses-my-username-local-settings-temp-browserview-1d31630-h.617172/
Relevancy 100.75%

i cant get rid of the files in C:\Documents and Settings\owner\Local Settings\Temp\Temporary Internet Files\Content.IE5....NOTHING ive tried has worked....any information on how i can get rid of them would be GREAT!!

A:C:\Documents and Settings\owner\Local Settings\Temp\Temporary Internet Files\Content.

Hi Welcome to TSG!!

If you log on as administrator you should be able to delete everything in the C:\Documents and Settings\owner\Local Settings\Temp\Temporary Internet Files\Content.IE5 folder.

If you sign in as "owner" you should be able to remove everything except index.dat if you close all of your browser windows.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/c-documents-and-settings-owner-local-settings-temp-temporary-internet-files-content.567350/
Relevancy 100.44%

I want to move my User folder off of the C drive Besides the Administer built-in I am the sole user of the computer I have two methods one is symbolic and_or and Settings? Moving Documents Folder User links one is mirrored links recommended I was wondering what role the folder Documents and Settings has to do It seems to contain identical info as the users files what is the point Moving User Folder and_or Documents and Settings? The questions are Do I need to move both of my User folders one in Users and the other in Documents and Settings Moving User Folder and_or Documents and Settings? Why Moving User Folder and_or Documents and Settings? is there a Documents and Settings folder anyway and what is it used for I am using a Vortex GB SSD for C drive does that fact impact the move of my User folder Would it be easier just to mover the whole User folder instead of just mine I am the only user of the computer Again will I have to move the Documents and Settings corresponding files Does the drive Users is moved to have to be a Primary Drive or can it be a Logical Anybody have any answers about the Users vs Docs and Settings folders Any tips on moving the users to a larger drive would be appreciated I run all of Adobe Creative Cloud software so Users is getting big Dbellas ASUS P T-v I - CPU GB RAM PNY NVIDIA Quddro GPU Vertex GB SSD - T Segate GB G-TECH RAID EXTERNAL iHAS DVD PIONEER BD-CD - ASUS Q MONITOR WINDOWS x

A:Moving User Folder and_or Documents and Settings?

I'm not sure what you are trying to accomplish.  If you are trying to move these files to another computer why not just clone the operating system with a program like Marcium Reflect.

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/503499/moving-user-folder-and-or-documents-and-settings/
Relevancy 100.44%

Hi,

C:\documents and settings\user\cookies\index.dat

I am using windowsXP.
I could not delete the contents of the above file as it says that the file is in use but I did not launch any programs at all. So what must I do to delete the contents of the file index.dat
Thanks

Relevancy 100.44%

not sure what causes this but I have seen it before.

the sys is Windows XP SP3

I had one machine that has gone out on loan during repairs and it now has several orphaned User folders under Documents & Settings, which did not have security set on them, have been emptied, but I would like to cleanup the mess. Logged in as Administrator and in safe mode I cannot delete these. I think this is one of those naming issues where the real name is not what's showing?? something like that.

how do I ditch these? I figure i might could slave it to a Win7 system, take over the files, then delete. that's a lotta work so if there's a quick way, that's better

Relevancy 100.44%

Hi Guys I work on a Service Desk at load settings XP fails profile Solved: Windows to user the NHS We Solved: Windows XP profile fails to load user settings seem to be having a problem and no-one knows why it is happening and i m determined to get to the bottom of it When ever these particular users logon to the domain XP won t load their profile settings email settings desktop icons etc It does seem to load some of the profile as it doesn t display the quot corrupt profile quot or quot unable to load profile quot error message but it won t load any documents or applications settings so the user gets an empty My Documents folder and an empty desktop I have tried recreating the profile and copying over the settings which does seem to resolve the issue for a while but eventually the problem occurs again So far there are only users having this problem But there seems to be no fix We ve even tried reinstalling Windows on the PC but eventually the profile begins to fail I d love to be the guy to show everyone how to resolve this proble Does anyone have any ideas nbsp

A:Solved: Windows XP profile fails to load user settings

Run eventvwr.msc and look at both the System and Application logs for repeating errors.

Have a look for the errors referenced in this article and if you see any, install the User Profile Hive Cleanup service.
http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/...6D-8912-4E18-B570-42470E2F3582&displaylang=en
MIght be worth installing even if you are not seeing those specific errors.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/solved-windows-xp-profile-fails-to-load-user-settings.886528/
Relevancy 100.44%

Hello, I recently had an issue with all of my user profile settings including favorites, address book entries and settings for various programs such as registration info etc. This happened as I was reading my EMail. Suddenly, all of my firefox and IE settings were gone, and my user folder named, Ronald becamed corrupted. Don't know if anything malware crept in, or if a rogue attacked my computer, for my security software became unregestered as a result of this sudden glitch. Any help would be appreciate as to how I can get my old settings back if possible.

Regards,
       Ronald

A:favorites, address book entries and user profile settings gone

Reboot the computer.  Access your account.  Is it normal, if so great.  If not look in C:\Users and see if there is a folder with your user name or possibly Owner and see if your Favorites are in the Favorites folder.  If there is a user folder and your favorites are in there then you are getting a temporary profile and you will need to rebuild your profile.

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/531966/favorites-address-book-entries-and-user-profile-settings-gone/
Relevancy 100.13%

I know this seems like a trivial thing but just curious if anyone can figure out why it broke Originally I went into C Users icon anymore. folder profile user change my Cant and went into the Properties of my profile folder Went to the Customize tab then Change Icon and chose a custom icon After doing this when I would click on the start Cant change my user profile folder icon anymore. button and hover over my name in the upper right part of the start menu the icon would change to that of my custom icon visual explanation of what I mean Anyway now the problem it worked fine for several months then it suddenly stopped showing my custom icon As you can see in that picture it went back to the default generic icon when I hover over my name So I go back into the Properties of my C Users David folder back to Customize but then beside the Change Icon button the sample of what it will look like still shows my custom icon yet it's not displaying anymore For giggles I click change icon and again browse to my custom icon and hit OK on everything But it's just not working I've tried choosing to restore the default icon option and then change it to something custom again I've tried different custom icons Ive tried using native windows icons In the GUI it appears as if my choice was taken yet on the start menu the icon continues to just be the default one Just curious if anyone would have any suggestions TiA

A:Cant change my user profile folder icon anymore.

Hello Club,

You should be able to change your user profile folder's icon using OPTION ONE in the tutorial below through the Desktop Icon Settings dialog instead.

User Folders - Change Default Icon

Hope this helps,
Shawn

http://www.sevenforums.com/customization/194419-cant-change-my-user-profile-folder-icon-anymore.html
Relevancy 99.51%

Hi I recently repaired an XP Professional installation and now i no longer have the option to login but and windows settings start up at folder documents has no user login has to the old profile just a default profile with admin rights The profile still has its documents and settings folder with everything intact and all programs from the original profile seem to be in program files The user also does not appear in local users and groups I have even been able to move over the application data and open a program which remained authorized and had access to previous presets I also made a new profile and in the registry changed the profile image path to that of the old profiles folder I m not sure why it just seemed important to see the old desktop again which i do but all the paths for the programs or at least most of them are set to quot I quot changing the path to quot C quot worked on some programs anyway i user has no login at windows start up but has documents and settings folder digress what am i missing here am I able to regain the previous access nbsp

A:user has no login at windows start up but has documents and settings folder

If anyone could just point me in the right direction, i'll take it from there but i just dont know where to go from here.
is it a registry problem?

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/user-has-no-login-at-windows-start-up-but-has-documents-and-settings-folder.1135598/
Relevancy 99.51%

XP HOME SP Following a crash I put in a new hard drive reinstalled Windows re-created the User accounts Well some of that I had help with I made three User accounts and the folders appeared in Documents amp Settings no problems A few weeks later I decided to add another User account The account & Settings XP Documents User put doesn't Solved: folder in account was created successfully but its folder never appeared in Documents amp Settings That was about a month ago and it s just never shown up Solved: XP doesn't put User account folder in Documents & Settings The account itself works fine as far as I know This morning I created a second User account for this person to see if it would place a folder in Docs amp Settings It still didn t Before the crash I had all four people with four separate accounts so having four User accounts has not been a problem previously It s not a reboot issue as I ve rebooted numerous times since creating the person s first account Is there a way to force the User account folder to appear in Documents amp Settings since XP won t place it there automatically Edited to add When reinstalling HD it had to be named quot F quot not quot C quot That didn t affect creating the original three User accounts though so I don t know what to think about that Also no problem with downloading programs it always defaults to the correct location Just thought this might be important AHHH nevermind I figured it out User accounts must first be logged into before the folders appear in Documents amp Settings Apparently he just sat down at someone else s opened desktop doesn t live here and keeps no files here so he didn t care whose IE he was browsing in I guess I did not log into the new account either Anyway - First log into a User account before it shows up in Documents amp Settings nbsp

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/solved-xp-doesnt-put-user-account-folder-in-documents-settings.503351/
Relevancy 99.51%

Hiya,
Had probs with my PC not booting up so took it to a PC repair shop that found that the part on my hard drive that holds the boot-up info was corrupt, they istalled a new hard drive but managed to keep the old one as a 2nd hard drive as the rest of the data was good on it.
I am now trying to access my files on the old hard drive under documents and settings\user but it wont allow me to access them - how can I access the files? I did set up user accounts on this but they were not password protected...
I'm on XP...
PS I've tried info on here: http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=308421 but I dont have a 'security' tab once i click on properties....I'm no techy so advice in laymans terms please!!
Ta,
Matti

A:Solved: D:\Documents and Settings\user is not accesible. Access is denied. Help

If you are running Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition, you must start the computer in safe mode, and then log on with an account that has Administrative rights to have access to the Security tab.Click to expand...

Did you follow this step? When you start the computer, and before Windows boots, you need to press F8 and select Safe Mode.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/solved-d-documents-and-settings-user-is-not-accesible-access-is-denied-help.747468/
Relevancy 99.2%

Permissions were changed to restrict "everyone" having access to all files.
The user having problems is user1
user1 does not now appear under c:\users when looking at c:\
However, when searching for known documents it finds them under c:\user1\

how does one get user1 back on the user list when looking at c:\users and have their folders appear there?

A:Permissions change and now user and documents can only be viewed by searching

Restore the permissions.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/permissions-change-and-now-user-and-documents-can-only-be-viewed-by-searching.977949/
Relevancy 98.89%

Hi there ,

We have a number of Power users on our network ( using a workgroup not AD ) that require the ability to be able to change drive letters. This is because they deal with removable media quite a bit and need to have the ability to change letters to enable drives to be seen. I don't wish to give these users admin rights just for this privilege however. Can this be configured via local security policy?

Thanks ,

BB

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/248335/configuring-power-user-profile-to-change-drive-letters/
Relevancy 98.89%

Hi! I'm using a Neo netbook, running Windows Ultimate 32-bit. I found out that my user profile got corrupted after a forced shut down (the battery doesn't work and the power went out causing it to shut down). The Welcome screen goes on for minutes, then "Preparing Your Desktop" appears and when it finally starts, Windows says that I've logged on with a temporary profile and that files will be deleted when I log off. Of course I've searched about this on the web and tried the REGEDIT method wherein I renamed the .bak file or something. I also tried making a new user profile, but the problem is, the new user that I created also seemed to be temporary, like, when I save a file, it will disappear after a reboot. Does anyone know any other method to fix this? Thank you in advance!

A:Preparing Your Desktop User profile corrupted, TEMP User

This looks like the same or similar problem as here:
http://www.sevenforums.com/general-d...ed-hidden.html

http://www.sevenforums.com/general-discussion/332536-preparing-your-desktop-user-profile-corrupted-temp-user.html
Relevancy 98.58%

I usually try to fix these things myself but I don t even know where to begin searching on Google I was playing Mass Effect game last night and the nvidia driver crashed second time it s happened overall from this game I closed as many apps as I could then told Windows to reboot On rebooting disk check ran and decided to delete about files it might have done other things not sure When I got back into Windows all my preferences were gone and I realized that a new set of quot Documents and Settings quot files were created called quot Owner MASTRPC quot mastrpc is the name of the computer on my network and wrong Account and to Settings User Documents Solved: folder! pointing even though Windows automatically logs in as quot Owner quot as usual it points to that new folder instead of the usual quot Owner quot folder So basically all my preferences shortcuts and passwords are gone everything looks like a fresh install and there are a ton of other inconveniences Thankfully the files from my Owner account are still on my hard drive I think I need to point Windows to the correct Documents and Settings folder Owner instead of Owner MASTRPC Also a second new account ASP NET was created which I ve Solved: User Account pointing to wrong Documents and Settings folder! since deleted But now I think that might have been from Windows Update awhile back Not exactly sure what that s for THANK YOU SO MUCH nbsp

A:Solved: User Account pointing to wrong Documents and Settings folder!

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/solved-user-account-pointing-to-wrong-documents-and-settings-folder.916231/
Relevancy 97.96%

I need help badly! While working with NeonFx in the "Malware, Trojan, Virus" Forums. The OTS.exe tool deleted key vista files. I am unable to boot up normally! I am writing this request for help after booting up in safe mode. All of my vista settings are either gone or serverely imparied! I need help restoring my vista settings, user profile, recovering files, drivers, applications, etc. I have attached NeonFx's last post describing how my machine got to this state. Someone please help ASAP!

A:Vista - Failed to open by the service user profile. Unable to load user profile

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/vista-failed-to-open-by-the-service-user-profile-unable-to-load-user-profile.882933/
Relevancy 97.96%

Hi,
I couldn't find the solution for the following problem:
I have a software which reguires the user profile to have rights to change system time. Software is run as a non-admin user profile so software's installer should give the proper rights. Installer is run as admin. Can this be done and if it can, how it is done?

Thanks in advance,
Antti

A:Automatically giving rights to a user profile to change system time

Hi Antti,

i didn't get your question correctly.

What i understand is you don't want to give the access to the particular user. is that right?
For this, you can change the priorities for the user account.

http://www.sevenforums.com/general-discussion/268051-automatically-giving-rights-user-profile-change-system-time.html
Relevancy 97.34%

Hi sorry to be one of those guys whos first post is one asking for help but here I am so I appreciate any and all help and hope one day I can reciprocate the favor I also havent seen this problem described anywhere else online and thought people may find it fascinating as well When logging into the Primary user with admin privaledges account the desktop no longer has files and icons it used to have and the start menu no longer shows the User XP redirected set empty and documents account of to login settings folders Windows list of dfault or frequently opened programs some programs but not all are also Windows XP User account login redirected to empty set of documents and settings folders missing from the start menu programs section If I open my documents from the start menu it takes me to an empty folder not even my music or my pictures default folders inside I also have restricted permissions and cannot change any of the folder view options such as show hidden files Windows XP User account login redirected to empty set of documents and settings folders and folders When examing the Documents and settings folder I found a new folder called quot TEMP quot inside are the standard user account folders application data local settings documents desktop etc these folders now contained whatever I put in the my documents folder or on the desktop The actual user name being logged into still has its folder located in the documents and settings folder and still has its files and folders intact It seems that the login however now has these new TEMP folders associated with it and a scan of Malware bytes has revealed nothing more then an ask com adware toolbar but I believe the virus may have been removed prior to me having the computer in my possesion So is there a way to undo this login redirect or should I just create a new user account and move the files into it Edit more info in the event log is this is event source userenv Event ID Type Error Description Windows cannot load the user s profile but has logged you on with the default profile for the system DETAIL - Access is denied Steps I have taken so far ran CHKDSK to automaticaly fix filesystem errors only minor inconsistencies were found like unused index entries Had to set static network ip information to connect to the internet certain windows folders like windows registration had no permissions for administrators or system Edit looks like I have found a solution and its possible that this profile issue was simply a coincidence but this KB article has fixed the issue by changing the profile registry key maybe someone else will find it usefull http support microsoft com kb

A:Windows XP User account login redirected to empty set of documents and settings folders

Welcome aboard Let's see, if we can recover your missing features.Download and run UnHideThen....Download Security Check from HERE, and save it to your Desktop. * Double-click SecurityCheck.exe * Follow the onscreen instructions inside of the black box. * A Notepad document should open automatically called checkup.txt; please post the contents of that document.=============================================================================Please download MiniToolBox and run it.Checkmark following boxes:Report IE Proxy SettingsList content of HostsList IP configurationList last 10 Event Viewer logList Users, Partitions and Memory sizeClick Go and post the result.=============================================================================Download Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware (aka MBAM): http://www.malwarebytes.org/products/malwarebytes_free to your desktop. * Double-click mbam-setup.exe and follow the prompts to install the program. * At the end, be sure a checkmark is placed next to Update Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware and Launch Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware, then click Finish. * If an update is found, it will download and install the latest version. * Once the program has loaded, select Perform quick scan, then click Scan. * When the scan is complete, click OK, then Show Results to view the results. * Be sure that everything is checked, and click Remove Selected. * When completed, a log will open in Notepad. * Post the log back here.Be sure to restart the computer.The log can also be found here:C:\Documents and Settings\Username\Application Data\Malwarebytes\Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware\Logs\log-date.txtOr at C:\Program Files\Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware\Logs\log-date.txt=============================================================================Please download GMER from one of the following locations and save it to your desktop:Main Mirror
This version will download a randomly named file (Recommended)Zipped Mirror
This version will download a zip file you will need to extract first. If you use this mirror, please extract the zip file to your desktop.Disconnect from the Internet and close all running programs.Temporarily disable any real-time active protection so your security programs will not conflict with gmer's driver.Double-click on the randomly named GMER file (i.e. n7gmo46c.exe) and allow the gmer.sys driver to load if asked.Note: If you downloaded the zipped version, extract the file to its own folder such as C:\gmer and then double-click on gmer.exe.
GMER will open to the Rootkit/Malware tab and perform an automatic quick scan when first run. (do not use the computer while the scan is in progress)If you receive a WARNING!!! about rootkit activity and are asked to fully scan your system...click NO.Now click the Scan button. If you see a rootkit warning window, click OK.When the scan is finished, click the Save... button to save the scan results to your Desktop. Save the file as gmer.log.Click the Copy button and paste the results into your next reply.Exit GMER and be sure to re-enable your anti-virus, Firewall and any other security programs you had disabled.IMPORTANT! If for some reason GMER refuses to run, try again.If it still fails, try to UN-check "Devices" in right pane.If still no joy, try to run it from Safe Mode.

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/408043/windows-xp-user-account-login-redirected-to-empty-set-of-documents-and-settings-folders/
Relevancy 97.03%

I have just bought a new vista PC and a new vista laptop I moved all my files from my previous XP machines ok and all seemed fine I set up sharing amp the permissions so that all files can be seen on all machines but when I open amp save a publisher document the quot guest quot used for sharing is missing from the group amp user names list in security on the file and I have to put it back before & 2000 Publisher change names when group documents saving. user another networked machine can see this file If I alter amp save this file again again I have to manually put quot guest quot back in the group amp user names list This does not happen with word amp excel documents - quot guest quot stays in the group amp user names list I know that you would expect all office documents to behave the same but they don t - help I thought that this was more a Vista problem but was advised that this was the forum that I should use nbsp

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/publisher-2000-documents-change-group-user-names-when-saving.857438/
Relevancy 97.03%

I have just bought a new vista PC and a new vista laptop. I moved all my files from my previous XP machines ok and all seemed fine. I set up sharing & the permissions so that all files can be seen on all machines but when I open & save a publisher 2000 document the "guest" (used for sharing) is missing from the group & user names list in security on the file and I have to put it back before another networked machine can see this file. If I alter & save this file again, again I have to manually put "guest" back in the group & user names list. This does not happen with word 2000 & excel 2000 documents - "guest" stays in the group & user names list. I know that you would expect all office 2000 documents to behave the same but they don't - help.

Relevancy 97.03%

I have just bought a new vista PC and a new vista laptop. I moved all my files from my previous XP machines ok and all seemed fine. I set up sharing & the permissions so that all files can be seen on all machines but when I open & save a publisher 2000 document the "guest" (used for sharing) is missing from the group & user names list in security on the file and I have to put it back before another networked machine can see this file. If I alter & save this file again, again I have to manually put "guest" back in the group & user names list. This does not happen with word 2000 & excel 2000 documents - "guest" stays in the group & user names list. I know that you would expect all office 2000 documents to behave the same but they don't - help.

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f217/publisher-2000-documents-change-group-and-user-names-when-saving-410103.html
Relevancy 97.03%

Admin account worked fine on Monday.  The kid used her (non-admin) account in the meantime.  Now it won't log into the admin account - "The User Profile Service failed the logon. User profile cannot be loaded."  I've read a few other boards on this issue, so I am now doing a thorough virus scan and will include results as soon as they're available.  But I am not confident about moving forward with any of the paths I've seen laid out, and some of them don't apply if you can't access the admin account anyway, so I wanted to start a thread here (I've gotten fabulous help here several times before).  It's running Vista Home Premium SP2.  AVG 2013 Internet Security.  Can't think what other specs may be relevant, but am happy to provide whatever would be of use.  Thanks!!

A:User Profile svc failed logon. User profile can't be loaded." on admin acct.

I got the same message when attempting to login on Windows 7, after no previous problems or changes before shutdown the night before. It continued to loop back to the logon screen even after rebooting. I ended up having to log on in Safe Mode, then do a system restore to restore back to the last restore point, which was a system checkpoint a couple of days earlier. That fixed it, and I've had no problems since. I hope that helps.

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/515804/user-profile-svc-failed-logon-user-profile-cant-be-loaded-on-admin-acct/
Relevancy 97.03%

my computer is password protected. i only have one user account on it. how can i fix this without losing anything on my laptop?

A:vista-the user profile service failed the logon. user profile cannot be loaded

Just a thought, did you password the default administrator account?

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/533684/vista-the-user-profile-service-failed-the-logon-user-profile-cannot-be-loaded/
Relevancy 97.03%

Hello

When I tried to log on to administrator account on vista laptop this morning I got the following error massage "The User Profile Service failed the logon. User profile cannot be loaded." I did some research and found a potential solution: The User Profile Service failed the logon. User profile cannot be loaded.

However the problem is that the solution needs a working administrartor account and the only account I'm able to log in is a standard one with no power to change account type or boot into admin safe mode/ do a command prompt whatsoever.

Would anyone happen to have an alternative solution that doesn't require an admin account to fix this?

A:Vista - The User Profile Service failed the logon. User profile cannot be loaded.

Was able to log on in safe mode and follow the registry edit procedure. Thanks anyway

http://www.vistax64.com/crashes-debugging/281202-vista-user-profile-service-failed-logon-user-profile-cannot-loaded.html