Windows Support Forum

Power supply (PSU) keeps blowing when switching on

Q: Power supply (PSU) keeps blowing when switching on

My PC has been working fine for a couple of years then all of a sudden yesterday the PSU failed. The fuse at the wall had blown so I replaced it and then plugged the 3pin kettle lead back into my PSU. Turned on the PSU and "Bang" a spark flew out the back of the PSU and so did a waft of smoke. Now its dead. I bought a new PSU and rewired the internals of the PC and double checked all wiring. Plugged it in switched on the PSU. Turned on the power button of the PC and "bang". The PSU emited a pop and smoke and again its dead. Could this be a motherboard problem. ? Please help. I'm about to order an new PSU but I fear it is doomed unless I change my strategy !

Relevancy 100%
Preferred Solution: Power supply (PSU) keeps blowing when switching on

I recommend downloading and running Reimage. It's a computer repair tool that has been proven to identify and fix many Windows problems with a high level of success.

I've used it in the past to identify and fix everything from blue screens (BSOD's), ActiveX errors, corrupt files and processes, dll/exe/sys errors, recover lost memory, Windows update problems, defragging, malware removal etc.

You can download it direct from this link http://downloadreimage.com/directdownload.php. (This link will automatically start a download of Reimage that you can save to your computer.)

A: Power supply (PSU) keeps blowing when switching on

When a PSU fails, especially in the manner in which you describe not only does the psus die but it can damage the motherboard, harddrives, etc. I would not buy a new PSU at this point until you can determine if the mobo is good.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/power-supply-psu-keeps-blowing-when-switching-on.154351/
Relevancy 91.59%

Hello there,

This is the first time I have posted.
My PC power supply keeps blowing the fuse. it tends only to be when I am doing something that uses alot of memory, especially when trying to convert .avi files into .mpgs
The PS is 450w and I have an athlon 2400 processor and 192MB RAM
Do you think the power supply is inadequate as I have upgraded it recently and it doesn't blow the fuse as often now but it still does it when using alot of memory. I have tried it in different sockets and have the same probs.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. Mitchy

A:PC power supply blowing fuse

What make of psu is it?

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/pc-power-supply-blowing-fuse.60984/
Relevancy 91.59%

Hi all got a hp media centre pc turned on and as loading it died and the psu went dead so ordered another one from ebay as it is rare psu hipro 5187-4875 got it this morning unwrapped it plugged it all in bingo turned on but then as loading it blew what can be making them blow . thanks in advance

A:Power supply units keep blowing

UPDATE I found out person I got it off they had a friend looked at it who said he stripped it is it possible he has put it back in wrong or something as it comes on for like 20 seconds then boom kills psu and then dont work after that psu is totally dead

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/power-supply-units-keep-blowing.187072/
Relevancy 88.58%

I m on a Sapphire Radeon X Pro MB PCI-Express video card A few weeks ago my card was running much better than now like an X should but then the power supply blew and i got a replacement from the manufacturer of the same power supply a very cheap w power supply that came with my case-Logysis Phantom Black and now my video card performs HORRIBLY even in COUNTERSTRIKE my frames are horrible they drop down to when i see an enemy and i cant even speak of playing need for speed underground or half life they frame very badly this really started happening after instaling the new power supply is it possible that the power supply blowing damaged the video card or worse the mobo i feel like killing myself but the comp is running fine just cannot perform in games P Prescott Ghz not causing blowing Power supply underperform?? to card video OC d EPoX EP- EPA Sapphire Radeon X Pro PCI-Ex GB RAM Thanks in advance nbsp

A:Power supply blowing causing video card to underperform??

First get a good quality psu from Enermax/Antec etc about 400w to 450w should be fine.

The name of the game here is quality not quantity as your videocard will be power hungry.

Secondly it is possible that your videocard has suffered damage due to your old psu blowing.

And last but by no means least I would recommend that you get antisurge protection if you haven`t already.

Something like this is what I mean http://www.argos.co.uk/webapp/wcs/s...talogId=3151&productId=131031&clickfrom=image

Regards Howard

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/power-supply-blowing-causing-video-card-to-underperform.20938/
Relevancy 78.69%

I don't know if I'm posting in the right area or not, but i need to know if there are any other threads detailing precautionary measures or step by step instructions for switching out a power supply. Thanks in advance!!

A:Switching out a PC power supply

a simple google search came up with this - http://www.associatedcontent.com/article/5489/how_to_change_the_power_supply_on_your.html

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/switching-out-a-pc-power-supply.94947/
Relevancy 78.69%

help, I have several questions, but don't know where to post them, I need a power supply- the one i have is out , it says pc100-switching power, model PS150- where can i get one? ac input 100v-240v auto 3a 60/50HZ
My other question is about parts for a mother board it takes an AMD K6-2 socket 7 processor if that helps, but it has no connector for the mouse, all it has is 5 pins that the port connects to, i also need several of these, anyone who can help, please do so, I am sure what i need are ps/2 connectors, but the only ones i have seen don't solder in, thats what i was looking for, so it won't be able to jar loose.
Thanks

Relevancy 74.39%

About a week or so ago, i thought it was time to switch out the power supply to a new one on my desktop xps 410, soo i can replace my graphics card too,(yes i know it is kind of ancient, but it all i have for now. and what i am working with) so i switched to:

HIS iCooler H777F1G2M Radeon HD 7770 GHz Edition 1GB 128-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 3.0 x16 HDCP Ready Video Card

and a

COOLER MASTER eXtreme Power RS600-PCARE3-US 600W ATX12V V2.3 SLI Ready CrossFire Ready Power Supply

my mobo is: a lga775 with a core 2 running at 1.86 Ghz AKA the one that was originally with the desktop.

Hopefully this helps. Thank in advance for all your help.

A:Constant Bsod After Switching power supply and Graphics Card On XPS410

Welcome aboard.

► You have a display driver update to get.

Code:
0: kd> lmvm atikmpag
start end module name
fffff880`045a0000 fffff880`045fa000 atikmpag (deferred)
Image path: \SystemRoot\system32\DRIVERS\atikmpag.sys
Image name: atikmpag.sys
Timestamp: Fri Apr 06 06:40:44 2012 (4F7E4294)
CheckSum: 0005A52D
ImageSize: 0005A000
Translations: 0000.04b0 0000.04e4 0409.04b0 0409.04e4
The reason is:

Code:
fffff880`098c73f8 fffff880`04a52167*** WARNING: Unable to verify timestamp for atikmdag.sys
*** ERROR: Module load completed but symbols could not be loaded for atikmdag.sys
atikmdag+0x3f167
► Look at your BIOS date: If possible, try to update it.

Code:
BIOS Version/Date Dell Inc. 1.0.3, 8/14/2006
► Is there Daemon Tools?

Code:
ffff800`00b9cc48 fffff880`01073570*** WARNING: Unable to verify timestamp for sptd.sys
*** ERROR: Module load completed but symbols could not be loaded for sptd.sys
sptd+0x46570
Uninstall it at once.

► And ultimately, it is Norton products.

Code:
fffff800`00b9c3c0 fffff880`09330910Unable to load image \SystemRoot\system32\drivers\N360x64\1401010.002\SRTSP64.SYS, Win32 error 0n2
*** WARNING: Unable to verify timestamp for SRTSP64.SYS
*** ERROR: Module load completed but symbols could not be loaded for SRTSP64.SYS
SRTSP64+0x3f910
fffff800`00b9c3c8 fffff880`093308f0 SRTSP64+0x3f8f0
Uninstall Norton and Norton 360. Use Microsoft Security Essentials - Free Antivirus for Windows.

Let us know the results.

http://www.sevenforums.com/bsod-help-support/255911-constant-bsod-after-switching-power-supply-graphics-card-xps410.html
Relevancy 64.5%

I keep blowing out power supplies It happens usually with a loud snap or a fizzle and a snap I can see a flash come from the power supply through my case window It can happen once blowing power out supplies a blowing out power supplies week or twice in a day hot day cold day within a minute of turning on or within twelve hours I could be touching the keyboard or leaving the computer unused for hours What I m getting at is it seems random It s happened about twenty times Expensive high output power supplies have to be replaced Cheap watt supplies might survive one or two events before replacement I ve disconnected each of the two mirrored hard drives alternately and it still blows I ve disconnected the Fan speed contoller and the HP DVD RW I ve changed all of the seven fans The mirrored raid set flashes quot incomplete quot whenever I boot up I ve reset it once but it came up incomplete within a few starts So I think it s the Motherboard blowing out the power supplies I have a Soyo Dragon Motherboard P Ghz M P K HT RT and I haven t clocked it up Ti -VTD X video card two G Maxtor SATA HDrives in a Mirrored set DDR X MB Ram Sony Floppy It s the first computer I ve ever put together I may be slow but I m not dumb HHHeeeellllllp nbsp

A:blowing out power supplies

Well, you have two possibilities. Either you have a problem with the mobo, or a problem in the power outlet, surge strip, or the line itself. Since you seem to have at least a few dead PSUs, you might take one to a technician and have him look at it and tell you what is blown, this could help you figure out whether it was blown by the line coming into the primary, or if it was an overload caused by a fault in the mobo.
Just from the description alone, I'd say it was power spikes or an intermittent dead short on the motherboard. Look to make sure nothing is in the case that could be periodically making contact on the mobo that might cause a short, also look to make sure nothing is wedged between the case and mobo.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/blowing-out-power-supplies.8820/
Relevancy 64.5%

Does anyone have a solution to why my motherboard is blowing power supplies? I read one post that had an answer that motherboards don't usually blow power supplies. WELL mine has blown TWO. I have a power supply tester and the second one I know was good just before plugging into the motherboard, now it energizes for about 2 seconds. If I turn the power supply off using the I/O switch on it I can get it to energize again. I have lighted fans, they light for about two seconds then go out, everything DEAD. I can repeat this process as many times as I wish with the same result. This problem just all of a sudden started. ANY HELP?

Relevancy 64.5%

I have a dell in the back of the house that has blown 2 power supplies this month the pc before it was a compact that worked fine for three years.I have a hp in the dining room that blew 4 power supplies in one month I bought a atx 450 power supplie for it two months ago and started unpluging it at night I have not had a problem with it for two months now.ps the one up front was only blowing when I turned the pc on before I started unplugging at night.

A:My power supplies keep blowing

even though I severely doubt this is the case... make sure the power supplies don't have a switch on the back that's set to 220, make sure it's 110.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/my-power-supplies-keep-blowing.11901/
Relevancy 64.5%

I have blown 2 powersupplys, at first i though it was the MB so i switched to a new identical MB, both boards have blown 1 power supply. 350W and a 400W. The 350W lasted about a week, and the 400W on the second MB lasted about 15 minutes, There are many other computers in the house that have never had any problems simmiler to this. Any thoughs or sugestions on what may be going wrong?

System specks,

Intel 3.2E
Intel 875PBZ MB
2048 MB PC 3200
2 Maxtor 250 GB SATA Drives
Nvida 5950 Ultra 256 MB
DVD-R/+R/RW drive

Thanks in advance for any sugestions.

A:Blowing Power Supplies

Buy a good name brand PSU, not a generic one.

If it actually is your mobo frying psu's no matter how high quailty they are, you should probably get a new mobo

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/blowing-power-supplies.11708/
Relevancy 63.21%

The main power lead fuse(power park) keeps blowingon my PC. I have replaced more than 3 now: please i need your help, i could be the cause? And how can i solve the problem?

http://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Desktop-Hardware-and-Upgrade-Questions/The-main-power-lead-fuse-keeps-blowing-on-my-PC/td-p/5849524
Relevancy 63.21%

The main power lead fuse(power park) keeps blowingon my PC. I have replaced more than 3 now: please i need your help, what could be the cause? And how can i solve the problem?

http://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Desktop-Hardware-and-Upgrade-Questions/The-main-power-lead-fuse-keeps-blowing-on-my-PC/td-p/5849528
Relevancy 55.9%

Hey, i'm building a computer but i haven't realized that the power supply i need is an atx 2.0. What power supply should i get??

I was orignally looking at the Ultra X-connect but it doesn't support atx 2.0 Damn.

Relevancy 54.61%

Toshiba Satellite L305-5955, Ive taken apart and replaced power jack. Not directly soldered to motherboard. While still apart, and battery out/in, connected power supply and still absolutely no response. Power supply is NOT original, and slightly different specs, i.e original 19v..6.3A

current 19v..3.1A

A:Toshiba Satellite L305-5955 does not respond to power supply, new power jack

Almost certainly the problem is that the current rating is wrong, if the laptop needs
6.3 A of current, it won't function on less (just as you can't use a 3A fuse for a kettle!)
Unfortunately it must be the right current rating, I know, I've been caught that way too!
Maybe you can exchange it?

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/toshiba-satellite-l305-5955-does-not-respond-to-power-supply-new-power-jack.179540/
Relevancy 54.61%

Hi,
I picked up this Alienware 5700 off ebay to hopefully refurbish for my son but I'm new at this and still learning and so this thing has me baffled. The laptop is in pristine condition but shows no signs of life. When I plug in the power supply the green light on the power supply goes from solid green to blinking rapidly to the point you can barely see it. To me that would mean a short somewhere right ? If so where ? Has anyone else ever had experience with something like this ? I just don't want to go buying a new battery for a laptop that maybe fried already. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

A:No power, no lights but green light on power supply blinks rapidly

Remove the laptops battery and try the AC power only. If the green light does the same, it still could only be a bad AC adapter, or at worst, a shorted laptop motherboard

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/no-power-no-lights-but-green-light-on-power-supply-blinks-rapidly.174252/
Relevancy 54.61%

I m interested in the Toshiba G laptop but have heard that you can t use it on airplane seat power It comes with a W AC power supply Vx A but I ve been told that most airlines limit seat power to - W max Lind sells a V car adaptor for the G but specifically won t include an airline plug for this reason which I can get independently of course I ve read some interesting electrical discussions on this board Can ya ll comment on the following or provide any general advice about power consumption Given that the voltage of the laptop and airline seat power pretty much match up - V if the amp draw on the laptop exceeds what the airline power supply can deliver what will happen Will it damage the laptop to feed it insufficient current Will it shut down Supply, Power Airline 120W limitations Toshiba Power G25-AV513, the laptop altogether Merely dim the screen If I remove the laptop battery which requires power to charge it how much will that reduce the power Toshiba G25-AV513, 120W Power Supply, Airline Power limitations need of the laptop I m not sure how to work the Toshiba G25-AV513, 120W Power Supply, Airline Power limitations math but the spec sheet states the battery supplies mAh at A output Does it require the same to charge it Most importantly on my hour transpacific flights will the DVD player work with that ultrabrite screen at the low airline power supply A nice feature of the laptop is that you can watch DVDs without powering up the Windows operating system it has a small linux OS for the DVD player Granted the DVD drive and screen are probably of the most power hungry devices Has anyone used a G or a similar W laptop on a plane The ToshibaDirect support staff were mum on the issue probably for legal reasons Thanks nbsp

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/toshiba-g25-av513-120w-power-supply-airline-power-limitations.29934/
Relevancy 54.61%

Yesterday in my house,electric fuse was switched to turn on cooker in my kitchen. During this power delivery was stopped for 4-5 second only.
When power back on then pc automatically turns on and just before bios show me :"?Power supply surges detected during the previous power on ASUS anti-surge was triggered to protect system from unstable supply unit.
Press F1 to continue.? And then pc booted fine to Windows.

Is this normal ? Did it damage something? Why i get that message is this normal?

PC:
6700K stock
16GB DDR4
Asus Z170-P
Corsair 750 RM
Gtx 1080
SSD 1x

http://www.tenforums.com/drivers-hardware/66598-power-supply-surges-detected-during-previous-power-asus-anti-su.html
Relevancy 54.61%

I have a Dell 8600 about two years old. When I plug in the AC adapter, it intermittently fades to the battery as though the plug was pulled out (its not) and of course the screen fades in an out when every time it swithces--it does it every 30 to 60 seconds or so. I switched to a different AC adapter (I have a Dell 600M with the same AC adapter)-same thing so I know it is something internally. Any ideas?

A:Dell Laptop Power Supply Fading In and Out--power jack is bad or loose?

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/dell-laptop-power-supply-fading-in-and-out-power-jack-is-bad-or-loose.472044/
Relevancy 54.61%

Ever since i got this new motherboard and CPU ive been having a bit of a nightmare Wont Gigabyte Power up ga-ma790fx - Phenom AMD 9850 Supply & Power with it Gigabyte ga-ma fx-ds -Latest Bios AMD Phenom Black Edition gigs PC ram Corsair XMS CM X - ATI Radeon The problem is that the motherboard will NOT power up at all with the of the latest power supplies watt i have It wont work at all with Nothing happens its just dead Arctic watt Jeantech PSU brand new and working Corsair watt HX PSU working It only seems to work with my Jeantech Watt PSU and i cant for the life of me figure out why Ive tried everything to get the board to work with the new PSU s I had thought that the PSUs i got were dodgy but after testing out one in an older PC it worked fine Ive removed all parts and tried powering up and i cant get it to boot up But the PC seems to work fine with the oldish watt PSU which i find just unbelievable Can anyone help with this nightmare Now on the Gigabyte site the CPU i have isnt listed as supported by this motherboard which is kinda worrying could this be the reason If so how the old Power Supply Wont Power up - Gigabyte ga-ma790fx & AMD Phenom 9850 PSU boots up I just want to have the fracking thing working with the right PSU nbsp

A:Power Supply Wont Power up - Gigabyte ga-ma790fx & AMD Phenom 9850

if I read the specifications right on your mobo... it implies that it has the 4 pin PCI-e input(power) but it also has the 8pin ATX power conector. (it may be simply removing a cap that is actually right next to the 4 pin connector, thus making it an 8 pin connector (thats how it was on my mobo)

Try using the 8pin power with your new PSU, see if that works.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/power-supply-wont-power-up-gigabyte-ga-ma790fx-amd-phenom-9850.112038/
Relevancy 54.61%

Hello guys.  Can anyone help me understand the power supply on the HP Envy Phoenix 860-019?  The PCIE connector 6 pin connected to the GTX 960 has black and white wires.  Shouldn't there be yellow and black wires?  Yellow is usually 12 volt and black wires ground.  Is the 6 pin connected to my GTX 960  supplying a standard 75 watts of power or something else?  I want to install a GTX 1070 but the 6 pin wire colors are not the industry standard color scheme.  Also there is a 2 pin power connector with a white and black wire.  Usually a 6 pin and a 2 pin can be used together to connect into a 8 pin socket on a GTX 1070.  Will my connectors supply the needed power and connect properly because the color scheme on the wires make no sense. Thank you

http://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Desktop-Operating-Systems-and-Recovery/Strange-Color-Scheme-for-Power-Connectors-on-Power-Supply-of/td-p/5819631
Relevancy 54.61%

Sorry I don't know the proper terms, but basically the pin inside the jack where the power cord gets plugged into on my laptop was bent so that it's really hard for me to plug in my power cord and have it stay in place. My warranty with best buy has expired, so I need to figure out how to solve this problem on my own. I can't just leave it like this because the cord comes out really easily and I can't continue to work with such a tenuous setup. Anyway, is this just a matter of replacing the entire unit inside my laptop? I know you probably need more information, but I'm not sure what to provide, so please ask any questions. The laptop is a Toshia M-45, about 3-4 years old. Thanks in advance

A:Bent power supply pin - Hard to plug in power cord

umm.. bend it back so it's closer to normal? That's all I can say about it. usually works for me.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/bent-power-supply-pin-hard-to-plug-in-power-cord.820239/
Relevancy 54.61%

I have a Sony VGC-RB42G computer. I recently moved my computer, cleaned off all the dust, and when I plugged everything back in, it won't power up. The light on the power supply blinks green, inside the motherboard also has a green light that blinks as well. It has a ticking sound too, but I am not sure if it is coming from the power supply or the motherboard. Any idea what could be wrong.

FYI, I have already unplugged everything from the power supply, pulled out the ram, checked the battery, and put everything back together and still no change. One thing I thought was strange was after I unplugged everything, I pulled the power into the power supply again and this time the green light came on but did not blink. It stayed solid.

Help
ncleo

A:No Power, Blinking green light on power supply and motherboard

Sounds like a Power Supply problem.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/no-power-blinking-green-light-on-power-supply-and-motherboard.646158/
Relevancy 54.61%

Hi, I just bought an HP pavilion e9300 a few week ago. And I am going to upgrade the power supply so that I can get a new graphic card--ATI 4870 which requires at least 500 watt power supply. My current computer is shipped with a 350 watt power supply. I will probably get a 650 watt considering the 70% effeciency of power supply.
However, when I talked to an HP technician, he insisted that I could go for a power supply with no more 450 watt. Because the system I just got has a motherboard which has a max power limit 450 watt. He said if I go beyond that, the motherboard will burn out.
So what shall I do? I really want to get ATI 4870 work well on my computer.
Thx very much.

A:Does power supply with higher power rating really burn motherboard?

The long answer is "No".
Just be sure of the dimensions of the power supply before you order a replacement, as HP uses some pretty strange sizes sometimes, and you want the new one to fit with room to spare.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/does-power-supply-with-higher-power-rating-really-burn-motherboard.148700/
Relevancy 54.61%

It's been a while since I built a system from scratch and have a... errr... simple question

gfx: Sapphire HD3850 512MB Ultimate (passive)
http://www.sapphiretech.com/us/products/products_overview.php?gpid=225&grp=3

MB: MSI P35 Neo2 FIR
http://global.msi.com.tw/index.php?func=proddesc&prod_no=1261&maincat_no=1

PSU: Seasonic M12II 500W
http://www.seasonic.com/product/pc_retail.jsp

The motherboard has a power connector for the graphic card next to the slot.

Is there any reason I should connect the power for the card to the power connector on the board instead of directly to the power supply?

A:Graphic card power to power supply or connector on motherboard?

First time I have ever seen that feature. I like it. I'm thinking that is a neat/easy way to partially eliminate cable clutter from the PSU. Give it a shot, you can always revert to PSU cable if you wish.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/graphic-card-power-to-power-supply-or-connector-on-motherboard.705154/
Relevancy 53.75%

Yea...so we finally got my girlfriends new PC up and running. The problem im having...or more of a concern really. Is when you flip off the power supply, and then flip it back on, the PC gets a short burst of power. IE the lights and fans all come on for a second or two. Then you can press the power button and turn it back on.

Any ideas guys?

Relevancy 53.75%

I shut down my Pavilion Elite for 1 week while away and now it will not turn on. The power supply light is on, I replaced the CMOS battery and the power switch is ok.

A:Pavilion elite power supply light on, won't power up

As you did not mention any message or display on the screen, I would use this tutorial for a step by step diagnostic.  It also helps to remove the side panel, and visually watch the CPU and rear case fan movement(s).  As you press the power button, pay attention to the fans. Also does the Power Supply LED stay ON? Or did it go OUT when you pressed the power button?  

http://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Desktop-Hardware-and-Upgrade-Questions/Pavilion-elite-power-supply-light-on-won-t-power-up/td-p/5700798
Relevancy 53.75%

Hi forum and pc gurus My problem is specified down to my PSU at least I think so W Logisys PSU - maybe the quality has something to do with it I paid for it from NEW EGG I have A Gigabyte GA- P-DS Motherboard a Intel Core DUO Conroe GHz processor with heatsink and get I HELL! POWER FROM PC built HELP! custom power to on! cannot SUPPLY my Fan Sapphire ATI X Pro GIGS of WINTEC DDR PC RAM SATA Maxtor GIG HD inch SATA Gig HD and two DVD Burner Optical Drives both IDE I have it hooked up like this two Optical Drives connected to IDE connector cable which POWER SUPPLY FROM HELL! I cannot get my custom built PC to power on! HELP! is hooked into the IDE input on the motherboard both are set to slave Two CD outs connected one to each Optical Drives to one CD input on the motherboard Both HD s are connected to SATA inputs on the motherboard one is set for master one is set for slave I heard that it did not matter but wanted to state that anyway then my ATI RADEON X is hooked directly into my only PCI Xpress slot The power connectors are then all hooked into their respective inputs on the drives and Video Card ANd last but not least all the Power button and LED connectors are hooked into their input on the motherboard wich I set up exactly as the motherboard diagrams and directions directed I turned the switch on the PSU to on and I only got a faint mouse like squeek then nothing not even the fan So I figured it was DOA so I had newegg send me another I got it today installed it hooked all the power connectors to the hardware then popped the switch to on nothing again and the same little squeeky mouse like noise I have no idea what went wrong and this is my first custom built computer for me so any help would be great In relation I did not wear a ESD protective wristband but I did constantly touch metal to keep myself grounded but I couldnt rule out ESD to the motherboard I hope not but it is a possibility AND what is the possibility that both PSUs were DOA and what is the possibility that W is not enough to power my entire system THANKS GUYS FOR ANY HELP IN ADVANCE Oh and yeah I have it set to V nbsp

A:POWER SUPPLY FROM HELL! I cannot get my custom built PC to power on! HELP!

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/power-supply-from-hell-i-cannot-get-my-custom-built-pc-to-power-on-help.584624/
Relevancy 53.75%

Ok so it's time again for me to pick a new power supply however I'm in need of some help determining the appropriate wattage for my hardware setup AMD Phenom II X nm AM GSkill Ripjaw X GB Dual-Channel DDR MHz - - - new a Consumption-Picking Supply Hardware Power Power Corsair TX w I dont think its the V ASUS M A AM r here are the voltages listed on speccy if they are of any use V V V V CPU CORE V VIN V VIN V V V VIN Hardware Power Consumption-Picking a new Power Supply V VIN V VIN V ASUS ATI Radeon HD x in Crossfire w ea GB Patriot Pyro SE SSD GB OCZ OCZ-ONYX SSD LG HL-DT-ST DVDRAM GH NS ATA I have terrible luck with random bsod's and power supplies pooping on me I want to pick one this time that will last me Also I have my power running through a Monster Power HT I live in a new apartment so the wiring should be ok I've dusted out all Hardware Power Consumption-Picking a new Power Supply of the components inside the case double checked my connections all that jazz I've got a cooler over my memory I am still using my stock cpu cooler but thats changing soon I get crashes idle too Any help I could recieve I would appreciate thanks Andrew

A:Hardware Power Consumption-Picking a new Power Supply

You have pretty much the same problem as me (getting BSOD's randomly). For me it's bulging capacitors on motherboard. You should take a closer look for capacitors on your motherboard. Dead capacitors look something like that:
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedi...densatoren.jpg

http://www.sevenforums.com/hardware-devices/230075-hardware-power-consumption-picking-new-power-supply.html
Relevancy 53.75%

Working on a dell dimension 2400,think may have bad power supply.Anybody know if that model uses a proprietary PSU? or will a regular industry standard one work?

A:Dell Power Dimension 2400 power supply

Should be a standard ATX PS.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/dell-power-dimension-2400-power-supply.488276/
Relevancy 52.89%

Hi everybody I tried to search on google about this but it s not really help and it never happen to me before so I post here My PC was running normally for a long time just couple weeks ago I sent supply or button problem? power Power my faulty video card xfx nvidia ultra to get warranty service and they sent me back another The new one works fine but Power supply or power button problem? a week later I tried to turn on my computer and there s no power at all No lights on Power supply or power button problem? no fan running just no sign of power So I check inside if there s any wire from the PSU is unplugged but everything looks good nothing seems wrong I m sure the power from the wall is good and the power switch on the back is on So I tried to check the wired again push the power cable to the mother harder and press the button it worked But that doesnt solve the problem if I put something heavy near the PC or the desk is vibrating a little bit the power turns off I press the power button again it would not turn on until I open the case and press the power cable to the motherboard harder it s on I then close the side panel it s off no power This is really annoyed me I dont know what else to do What caused this problem The power supply or the power button Can somebody help me My system specs ECS G T-M mobo Intel E Duo x GB RAM x SATA HD nVidia ultra video card ULTRA s watt PSU nbsp

Relevancy 52.89%

My first post I received my new DVD DL -RW drive today and eagerly installed it I of course unplugged my computer s power supply while doing it After plugging the power back in the green up power disconnecting after power supply Computer won't LED on the back of the CPU started blinking never noticed this before and when I hit the power button NOTHING happen No fan Computer won't power up after disconnecting power supply turns no lights nothing When I unplug the power supply the green LED blinking gets slower and slower and after about minutes it totally stops I plug the power suppply back in and it starts blinking all over again and still the power won t turn on All I did was replace a CD-ROM drive with a DVD Multi drive I didn t mess with anything else so there should be no power supply shortage or problem Any thoughts as to what could Computer won't power up after disconnecting power supply be happening By the way I have a year old Compaq computer with ghz Athlon gig RAM no problems thus far nbsp

A:Computer won't power up after disconnecting power supply

While installing the new optical drive, you might have inadvertently loosened one or more connectors. Recheck all data and power cables to make sure they are tight, including all those to the motherboard.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/computer-wont-power-up-after-disconnecting-power-supply.49521/
Relevancy 52.89%

Hi All Happy New Year to all members and technical assistants I have a little issue in which I require some help and guidance I have a PIII MHZ replaced power Pc supply after wont power on MB Pc wont power on after power supply replaced memory with a ASUS MB- Recently it died on me and assumed that the reason Pc wont power on after power supply replaced I could not get to power it up is due to my power supply I went out and spent the money and bought a brand new power supply from a computer retailor I saw him remove it from a brand new case I Pc wont power on after power supply replaced installed the power supply trying to power it up I can see the fan rotate a little bit but not enough to power on Changed socket and it power on It booted up but after sec it shut itself off and now I cannot power it back on until min later when I went and change power socket once more This time the power did not stay up very long As soon it powered up no more than min later while it was loading windows Xp it shut itself off nad now again can t power it back on I have a power extention and power bar in which I used and both shuts the computer off Anything else plugged to it doesn t seem to do any affect This is the second new power supply I m trying What else can it be I have not tried to place the computer in a different room on a different plug yet I will try that tonight but in the meantime what else can I try Thanks for your help and listening Cheers nbsp

Relevancy 52.89%

Ok so lately I have been getting a BSOD at very random times and it looks like a Diver Power State failure. SO all of my friends and every website I go to makes it seem like I need to get a PSU. Right now I have a Quad Core and a 8800GT and 375W PSU. So my friend told me to get a new 700W PSU.

So, if the only fix is to get a new PSU? I tried to rollback my GPU driver but it didn't help.

So any ideas?

A:Driver Power Failure = New Power Supply?

You're greatly risking the health of your whole computer while running with such underpowered power supply. Do yourself a favour and get a quality PSU. http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817341010 That's the cheapest one that is enough and of good quality that I could find with a quickish search.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/driver-power-failure-new-power-supply.766751/
Relevancy 52.89%

Hi I m currently a computing student so I rely won't up power (poss. Computer supply) power on my computer a lot for my studies and was hoping I could get some quick advice troubleshooting on here So here goes I ve had a problem with my computer recently it s been working fine Computer won't power up (poss. power supply) for a year or so with no problems and then one day i tried switching it on and nothing happened I tried once more and then the power short circuited I then had to turn the power back on from the mains switch The strange thing is my housemate had exactly the same problem and after searching for the answer he was told it was due to a static buildup and the solution was to take out components graphics card RAM e t c and put them back in I tried this and no luck I was thinking due to the short circuit there may be a problem with a fuse in the power supply other then that I m completely stumped and would appreciate any help given Many Thanks for all help received nbsp

A:Computer won't power up (poss. power supply)

Does it happen with any other appliances? as in does using the toaster while using the kettle While your mate is in the Electric shower, telly on, or ironing?

Possibly a static build up, it is possible, Wher are you situated??
What voltage are you on?

What is the make and model of your comp? is it the same as your friends?

is your machine custom built or is it a brand?
Answer a few of them and we will try to narrow it down 4 you..

Mean while if you could get your hands on a spare PSU that would be handy. And remember when dealing with PSU's alway leave them to sischarge for at least 24hrs,
the 3 D'S, Disconect, discharge, dismantle.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/computer-wont-power-up-poss-power-supply.864011/
Relevancy 52.89%

My power supply died a few days ago and I have replaced it. My PC will now boot but will not send a signal (turn on) the monitor. Everything on the PC seems to work but it just will not turn on signal to the monitor. I have tried two different monitors with the same result.

Help!?!?!

Thanks,

Tod

Relevancy 52.89%

I have a server that I would like HD Power Supply Question Power Consumption & to upgrade to TB Hitachi HD s They claim max startup current of A and idling down in the A range The platform will be a -series X with a Core Duo Graphics card is small does not even require aux power connector Not needed to just supply the KVM with x No other signficiant sources of V drain exist other than the MB CPU a slim CD-Drive for installs a slim floppy and one additional GB Power Supply Question & HD Power Consumption SSD startup drive W when active I am looking at an W Corsair I ve heard these are quality supplies and I don t want Power Supply Question & HD Power Consumption multiple rails since no one really knows what sort of Voodoo goes on as to how they divide multiple rails up And I don t want to get into that I will be using a single-rail V PS I can add a second if I need to but I d rather not Do you think this will be sufficient for handling Hitachi hard drives quot Green quot drives are a non-starter since they will drive my Raid controller and then me off the deep end with TLER issues I do have staggered spin-up control of the drives with the controller Thanks for any help nbsp

A:Power Supply Question & HD Power Consumption

Power Supply Question & HD Power Consumption, Pt. 2 - Laptop vs. 3.5"

My second question is this - I have a BTV server that needs to be on at all times during the season to record shows during day and evening.

Suffice it to say that you CANNOT reliably put one of the critters into sleep/hibernate mode and expect it to wake up and reliably record a show. It just won't happen.

Now, this is one case where I can use "Green" 3.5" drives, but I am also considering banking 500GB 7200RPM or even 5400RPM laptop drives. These will all be on a raid controller, but since they will be in pass-thru mode or RAID 0 mode the controller won't freak over TLER like it would with RAID 5/6 and mark the drives bad. The controller also has more than adequate cache to handle a 5400RPM spindle as OTA HDTV generates little more than 2.5MB per second per channel. Even 4 channels at once is 10MB/s and that should not tap the ability of a 3Ware controller with cache on 5400 RPM RAID 0 or even pass-thru drives.

My question is this - 2 500GB laptop drives burn much less startup and idle current than a single 1TB 3.5" drive. Has anyone tried running multiple laptop drives on a RAID controller, and what sort of luck have you had? What sort of sustained throuput can you obtain?

Electricity is a huge factor here, at 12 cents per KWh. I can recover the marginal cost of 2 500GB laptop drives vs. 1 1TB 3.5 drive.

Case construction and drive cages are not the issue here.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/power-supply-question-hd-power-consumption.128749/
Relevancy 52.89%

Finally broke down and started building a new system - I m too old to game this all started out as a home video project Anyway - gathered all my components now I m working to assemble them The case power plug. fan power New for supply, no schematic, looking came with New power supply, no schematic, looking for power fan plug. an Okia Model -ATX power supply But no wiring schematic I m trying to identify the power supply fan plug - what New power supply, no schematic, looking for power fan plug. seems to be it doesn t at all match the connector on the board And I ve got that positively identified by the board manual The board has a small male pin connection The only thing I can find that might be the fan connector coming from the supply is a small pin plug at the end of of the New power supply, no schematic, looking for power fan plug. strings of drive power harnesses Nothing tucked up behind the supply case or anything Is that likely to be it Or would that be for a floppy or something I tried to Google for a wiring schematic but could find nothing In fact nothing much at all on this brand of supply - just a couple places that sell them Please don t tell me I got an el cheapo that isn t worth having At the risk of getting ahead of myself in case I need to adapt something like that to the different style male connector on the board in this case or something else I may find as i progress is there some type of source for adapters or what would I do Bear with me this probly won t be the last question I ll dream up - just getting started While I m at it - the board manual talks about a connector for a power supply that senses board temps - that s another reason I d like to find a schematic or some sort of instructions for the power supply OH The connectors for the fans in the case don t match the connector on the board either The board has another small male pin connector for the case fan s but these have a larger bigger pin pin connector Again - I suppose it s adapter time Guess I ll need that source Thanks for helping an quot old quot computer student still and probly always in a definite learning curve nbsp

A:New power supply, no schematic, looking for power fan plug.

There are basically two voltages available to you: 5V and 12V. Doesn't really matter where you get it from - some pin on the mobo or some wire from the PSU.

From the PSU the yellow wires are 12V and red ones 5V, black is ground. The fan voltages should be written on the fan itself, the black fan wire is ground, red may be 12V or 5V depending on the fan voltage.

Fan headers on the motherboard should be labelled so, check with a voltmeter what pin gives out what.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/new-power-supply-no-schematic-looking-for-power-fan-plug.35253/
Relevancy 52.89%

Hey, got quite a problem with my laptop.. It's a Medion Erazer X7813, worked well for ~2 years.
I was doing a graphics card benchmark yesterday and it stopped in the middle of it(monitored temperature, it was at ~80 degrees Celsius when it turned off). No bluescreen or anything just off and I couldnt restart after that(no fans nothing). I thought it might be the power supply, so I tested it, but it was doing 19v when not plugged in, but when I plugged it in and unplugged it again it was at 1v. When testing I unintentionally shorted the power supply and it showed 1v after that just as it did after plugging it in, is it shorting inside the laptop? Could it be the battery or something more serious like the MB? Any ideas are welcome!

A:Laptop gets no power, power supply seems to be working

The charging circuits on the laptop motherboard may be shorted...

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/laptop-gets-no-power-power-supply-seems-to-be-working.217521/
Relevancy 52.89%

Hello everyone - I have just assembled a new build It will not power up I need a suggestion to figure out if the problem is the case or the motherboard This is a mini-itx build power-up: power New or Build MB? no supply case's The case is New Build no power-up: case's power supply or MB? Linkworld LC - B This case comes with a volt watt external laptop-style power supply that plugs into the rear of the case just like New Build no power-up: case's power supply or MB? a laptop power supply plugs into a laptop - a barrel connector Inside this power connection connects to a power supply component that is not like a regular ATX power supply but is on a printed-circuit board New Build no power-up: case's power supply or MB? mounted on the case This has several capacitors and other stuff From that comes the -pin and -pin power supply lines for the motherboard I assume the -volt power supply for this external power supply unit is right since it came with the case It was watt The processor is an IBM t with TDP of watts Lower-powered CPUs can be put in a small so I assumed the power supply might be under-powered I ordered a -watt volt power supply with the right size barrel - and same polarity pos inside The MB is an ASRock H MV-ITX It is mini-itx form factor Still same problem Everything is connected correctly When I press the power-on button an external CD drive I have plugged-in spins up for a while But no power light comes on in the front of the case there are no POST beeps the fan for the CPU does not spin up No other signs of life So power is getting into the MB - the external CD drive is plugged into a USB socket in the rear panel of the MB After trying a watt and watt power supply I believe the problem cannot be the power supply cord Can it be that I have too little load I don t think so I plugged in another mm fan and an ol-fashion floppy drive just the power connection to add more load - same thing no power-up no POST nothing but the CD drive will spin up when I open-then-close it yet again So here is the help I need what else can I try -assuming the MB and case are fine is it more likely the case power supply is bad or the MB --Thanks nbsp

A:New Build no power-up: case's power supply or MB?

Well, I figured out the problem.
I am planning to re-do the older mini-itx system I have; it has gotten riddled with Trojan software for kids downloading games; it basically has been de-commissioned already.

So, I took the pico-psu power supply from that older computer, and hooked it up to the one I am making. Everything went perfectly.

So, I un-did that, removed the MB from case, disconnected the barrel-power connection from the case, unscrewed and removed the power supply that had been mounted in the case, put the pico-psu power supply back in place (I had to drill the hole for the barrel-connection out to be a little bigger since the pico-psu internal/external connection is threaded and held in place by nut with lock washer), and routed wires to be clear of cpu fan, screwed MB to stand-offs, and closed it all up.

now, everything is great. I like this linkworld case, but the power supply is worthless. I may try to get a few dollars back from the ebay vendor, to make me happy with a case that is less than what I should have gotten, but is working for me; I don't want to wait on returns, etc.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/new-build-no-power-up-cases-power-supply-or-mb.206259/
Relevancy 52.89%

So I hooked my pc up after I took it w/ me to work becuase I though I was going to a lan tonight. But when I came home and plugged it back. I noticed the power supply box light was blinking. And it wont turn on. No power or what so ever. I need help BADLY

Thanks

A:Power Supply Light Blinking. No Power :(!

Have you opened case to make sure all connections are secure? Something may have come loose while you were transporting it. Give us more info about your computer (e.g. make and model, cpu, ram, name of psu, etc.)

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f10/power-supply-light-blinking-no-power-84515.html
Relevancy 52.89%

I have a generic MB (P-120 CPU ) which I just switched to a different case and power supply. It has an extra "six pin power type connection" in the middle of the board. Only one supply that I have matchs this and the wires are three green and three black. What is the funtion of this connector, it looks from the wire colors to be some form of switch.

Its a case of not wanting to swap out the power suppy from my other unit unless necessary. I have 4 other supplies and none have the extra wire, which is listed as P10.

Many thanks in advance.
WKR

A:extra power leads on power supply?

Sounds like typical extra +5V lead and can be used for any number of things...(riser cards,backplanes,to drive extra slots, etc.)
Without knowing the specs. on your motherboard this question is impossible to answer...Post Mobo identification (make/model) or obtain FCC ID and post that. Perhaps we can find a more definitive answer for you...BOL

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/extra-power-leads-on-power-supply.33877/
Relevancy 52.89%

was watching dvd and pc cut out completely... high pitch beeping comming from my power supply on hp 110 desktop... when i unplug from tower beeping stops .. plug it back in and it resumes.  No power, no flashing leds ... just constant beeping... no pattern ... just beeps continuously.

A:constant beep from power supply... no power to pc at all.

let me be clear.... beeping not coming from tower.... it comes from the plug in power supply... the square box part of it.

http://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Desktop-Hardware-and-Upgrade-Questions/constant-beep-from-power-supply-no-power-to-pc-at-all/td-p/5709441
Relevancy 51.17%

ok, I am confused here. when I power on my laptop, with it plugged in, it shows the battery status. once the battery runs low, it does as usual, "switch to AC, or loos you progress" (something to that effect). even though it IS plugged in, it does not recognize it as that.
once the laptop is OFF, i can plu it in and it will charge.....as it should. but once powered on agsain, it automatically goes to battery.
i have upgraded to XP SP3, and i am totally LOST!!

PLEASE HELP!

Relevancy 51.17%

My PC suddenly shut off and wouldn't turn on, but the mouse and motherboard lights were still on. A tech took my PC and ran some tests. I assumed that either my Power supply or my Motherboard was unfunctional but he called me back telling me that it was neither, and that the problem was coming from "a part" that gave power to the motherboard. The replacement of this part would cost $80.

Am I getting ripped off? What part could possibly cost $80 and isn't the Power supply?

Relevancy 51.17%

Came home walked in and noticed my PC was off monitor was on speakers on modem everything on as if the power had blinked out for a sec and my system had shutdown No Supply, lights no to Power power I pressed the power button on the front and got nothing i checked the power supply s own power on off switch on the back and got nothing no light that its on or anything thought maybe it was the cable so i plugged it into my other pc and the No power to Power Supply, no lights cable No power to Power Supply, no lights works so i m thinking maybe the psu went bad or took a hit Im guessing i just need to replace it How difficult is it to replace it by yourself i ve never done that before and do you think that its the psu at fault I m thinking that if there is not power on light then something is wrong big with it my heat temps stay down between C and C at the highest Also can i replace it with just any other w power supply or does it need to be a specific kind company i bought it from online listed it as dual core certified w psu no mention of v rail or anything else i guess i can get that from them if they have it on file nbsp

A:No power to Power Supply, no lights

Well sounds like your power supply took a power surge. Well to start with i would try a power supply. Now about replacing the power supply cheap is not the best way to go, learned from experience. Here is my recommendation: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817139005
And for replacing a PSU not hard. If you need help removing it Post back i will walk you through step by step if need be.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/no-power-to-power-supply-no-lights.106985/
Relevancy 51.17%

Went to dinner left PC running Came back PC shut down Would not restart no power lights fans LEDs nada zip zilch We had a brown out a few days back I figured the power supply finally crapped out supply...still no power power!? new installed Tonight installed a new power supply Antec Smartpower w No installed new power supply...still no power!? change I push start button absolutely nothing I have checked a power at outlet OK b changed power cords original is installed new power supply...still no power!? cord OK but I notice when I insert the plug into the recepticle there is a spark Now I m not much of an electrician but I don t think there should be a spark for just plugging it in c I have plugged my backup PC this one into the same outlet on the surge protector and it s running fine soooo the problem is in the computer If I plug the power supply in shouldn t the PS fan run It doesn t Can there be something bad on the shudder mobo like maybe the start switch or something Also confusing me I have sata HD this new PS has power plugs for sata My old power supply only had the regular pin plug that I plugged into the sata HD yet it ran fine Do I need to use the sata plugs on the new PS Cripes I m so freakin computer impared Please need help this is my gamer PC and I m a BF junkie Thanks for viewing this thread AMD GA K NS ATI XT mb Turtle Beach Santa Cruz gig PC XP Home sp nbsp

A:installed new power supply...still no power!?

Is the LED lit on the MB? Try bypassing the front case switch by putting the blade of a small screwdriver across the pins on the MB that the switch connects to.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/installed-new-power-supply-still-no-power.441895/
Relevancy 51.17%

I have a Delta DPS-150GB B Power Supply out of an Apple Macintosh Power Mac computer. I would like to use it as a 12v/5A power supply for my model train layout. I have a couple important questions:

1) I need to know the pin-outs of the connectors (1-4pin, 1-14pin, 1-5pin on ribbon wire), specifically which ones control start-up and various voltage outputs.

2) Being a Switching Power Supply, I think there must be a load on at least one of the output rails. Can I create this with a simple resistor of some sort? if so, how exactly what would I need to do.

I can email photo of the connectors if that would halp. I would appreciate any help. Thanks.

Relevancy 51.17%

Would a 500W power supply power this

AMD Phenom II X4 955 Black Edition

8GB DDR3 RAM

Nvidia Geforce GTS450 1GB PNY

Gigabyte SKT-AM3 GA-880GM

2TB HDD

DVD RW Drive

A:Would a 500W power supply power this

Hi QGamez,

I reckon a 500W wouldn't be enough but a 750W may be the right one. I had a look in a few forums and they had 650W & 750W etc but not 500W.

But wait for more input from the others and see what they have to say

http://www.pchelpforum.com/windows-7-a/76505-would-500w-power-supply-power.html
Relevancy 51.17%

Somebody, please tell me what this is and what's it used for?

Relevancy 51.17%

HP Palvilion m c Motherboard IPIBL-LA Berkeley http h www hp com ewfrf wc lc en amp lang en amp lc en amp product amp task N Power Supply DPS- ab- a http www itwinkle com hp posu html Hello all this is my power Is NO motherboard? it or supply POWER, first post First let me thank all NO POWER, Is it power supply or motherboard? for being here and sharing your vast knowledge My PC and power supply is above web-links included for more accurate description Also I have scoured this forum internet attempting to resolved and yes there is a ton of info The problem is the I cannot find specific details quot similar quot to my problem regarding how they determined the repair action other than replaced power or mobo So hopefully when this is resolved this will help someone with my similar problem - Problem gt PC will not turn-on just as if not plugged into power source -- Sypnopsis gt Nothing unusual happened as far as I know Shut-down PC for the evening as usual next day went to turn it on nothing - Troubleshooting accomplished -- Checked power outlet amp cords checked good -- Green light on back of power supply is steady green normal indication -- Removed power supply to test with multi-meter Strapped jumpered pins green wire with ground blk wire All appears normal everything is in range of specifications values below pin pin pin pin pin pin pin pin pin pin pin - pin pin pin -- Tested my power button wires for continuity on PC case properly shorts -- Reassemble everything still nothing -- Disassemble entire PC motherboard is sitting on cardboard box --- Items plugged into motherboard -pin atx plug and from NO POWER, Is it power supply or motherboard? power supply -pin plug volt from power supply gig ram stick CPU amp CPU fan - Goal gt power-on motherboard -- Tried shorting power button pins nothing -- Tried shorting reset pins nothing -- Jump-started NO POWER, Is it power supply or motherboard? atx plug with paper clip POWERS ON See link below for example http www youtube com watch v FCspIGgBV amp feature related Unfortunately unlike the youtube video when I remove the paper clip I lose power and back to square one - Back to the PS tested PS with strap jumper on when I remove the strap the ATX loses power through its plugs though the green light stays constant green There is no external on off switch on the power supply -- Should the power supply lose power once the strap is removed -- If so how does the power supply know to stay on -- Any help is much appreciated trying to determine if power supply is bad MOBO etc and if I can repair it Also I cannot swap items I do not have any additional parts laying around ADDITONAL NOTES - When powered on the mobo pwr-btn pins and the reset pins have voltage accross them volts dc pwr btn pins though has quot NO quot effect when shorted volts dc reset pins resets when shorted it works the way it should - Attached additional items to see if I could fully boot PC System Fan note will not boot without this fan plugged-in quot ERROR System Fan Has Failed Service PC to prevent damage to the System Press F to continue quot video card geforce gt hp pn- key board plugged into PS keyboard port mouse plugged into PS mouse port Hard drive When strapped I can boot competely up and log-on to desktop When I choose quot restart quot via windows soft button it resets properly When I choose quot shutdown quot it will shutdown but then I have to remove the strap and reset the cmos I get no display unless I reset the CMOS to boot up properly again I m guessing ultimately its the power supply Since the problem directs back to losing power The PC boots properly when I make the conditions right so that would most likely eliminate a motherboard or cpu problem What I don t understand nor can I find any info on is how does the power supply stay activate I m aware of the shorting of the power button pins on the mobo Probably thinking too much into it but the power supply seems to be working accept for the mystery quot no po... Read more

Relevancy 51.17%

Ok so i do know what the no Power and supply 100%, mobo are power problem is this is more about what i can do to use my computer until i can fix the problem Ill start off with what the problem is My computer wont turn on from the get go i knew the power supply was okay Power supply and mobo are 100%, no power because the mother board has a green light on it showing that its getting power of course just in case i tried putting a new supply in but there were no changes At first glance the mother board looked good No blown resistors or anything of that sort i sent it to a friend to check it out though once again just to be thorough and sure Finally after Power supply and mobo are 100%, no power hours of tedious searching i found the problem The chip that the power button plugs into has blown out Very happy thats all it is Now my question to all of you is is there anyway to bypass using that board so i can run my computer until i replace it if i just unplug the little board that the button is a part of the computer obviously does not turn on when i attach the computer to power and i dont know how i can trick it into turning on without having the use of the power button Any info would be greatly appreciated Thanks Ryan nbsp

A:Power supply and mobo are 100%, no power

There are some motherboards that have a power on button directly on the motherboard. I don't suppose you have one of those? There are some BIOS' that can enable the keyboard to power on the PC by pressing any key. I'm using one of them now. Of course, the problem with that is to get the PC started in the first place so you can change the BIOS setting (if it has that setting).

What motherboard do you have?

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/power-supply-and-mobo-are-100-no-power.152069/
Relevancy 51.17%

hey I have an interesting problem supply jumper power and power When I plug the atx power supply into my motherboard as soon as it makes contact the psu fan spins about times then power supply and power jumper stops which i suspect means its testing to see if it works or something But i have a computer out of the case and i power supply and power jumper might have made the fatal mistake of useing a paper clip to quot jump start quot the motherboard by contacting the power jumpers now whenever and metal contact is made paper clip the actual start mechanism anything it won t cut on Well me thinking i must have messed up the jumpers cut the psu green and red cord i double checked to make sure they were the power on cords and twisted them togeather and put electrical tape around them I know its not the best job but i was just testing a theory When I plug in the psu and its plugged into the motherboard the psu fan becomes turned on because of the twisted on wires and spins But the cpu fan and motherboard remain powerless I am wondering if i ve done something wrong or have screwed something up any help would be appreciated ps before the problems begain i installed the motherboard into a case because it was just components and i founnd a cheap case When I installed the motherboard I screwed metal screws into the contace points where the motherboard is supposed to rest I heard somewhere metal is bad for the bottoms of motherboards so that could be it thanks nbsp

A:power supply and power jumper

Disconnect External Power To The Wall Socket Before Messing Around In The Box!!!!!!!!!!!

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/power-supply-and-power-jumper.25244/
Relevancy 51.17%

I have a Windows XP Home Edition SP computer GHz MB Ram GB HDD Last week I installed SP on my computer because I had SP and decided to upgrade A couple days later when I click on quot turn off quot my computer restarts NOT shutdown When I click on quot stand by quot The screen goes black then I get a quot blue screen quot Like in Windows But it Power Supply Power or Strip? s dark blue and stays up for only a second Then the computer resets The next day my computer stopped Power Supply or Power Strip? that but Power Supply or Power Strip? then As soon as I press the power button the TV in the living room goes all fuzzy I turn it off I remove the power strip thinking that it went bad I do use every plug but other power strips in the house are full too I plug it directly into the wall The restart stops still fuzzy I unplug ALL the connections in the back of my PC except the Power and monitor It stops Plug it all back in Put it in another outlet in my room Does it again Change HDD power cable motor could be causing this I finally realize that it s the TV tuner card The cable connection is already being split into ths I had a bad plug on the TV splitter so the fuzziness got fixed I put the power strip back on and the restart is going on again I tried on a outlet too Why is my computer restarting when I click quot Turn Off quot Is the quot shutdown exe quot corrupted nbsp

A:Power Supply or Power Strip?

Check your power management settings (and reinstall software if needed, from the manufacturer website). I've run across many problems with SP2 messing with power management settings...

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/power-supply-or-power-strip.662593/
Relevancy 50.31%

My HPStream11 started switching itself off. The power button was blinking and now it doesn't work. It started up again a few times, enough for me to reset the whole system, but then died again shortly afterwards. The battery light flashes on and off when I plug the charger in. I have tried the usual suggestions like holding down the power button, pressing escape, F11, and nothing works. I have only had the laptop a few months. I will not be buying HP again if this is what happens to them. 

http://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Notebook-Boot-and-Lockup/HP-Stream11-keeps-switching-off-and-nnow-won-t-power-up/td-p/5794447
Relevancy 50.31%

I have a Dell XPS 13 and the F3 button has a battery sign on it. Pressing it brings up some battery meter property which does not really help as a day-to-day shortcut. Is there any way I can change that to toggling between two of my Power Plans ("Power Saving, High Performance") each time I press?

A:Switching Power Plan Shortcut

Hello Fridmund, and welcome to Eight Forums.

The tutorial below can help show you how to create shortcuts that will change the power plan to what you like. It's the same in Windows 8.

Power Plan - Create Shortcut to Change Power Plan - Windows 7 Help Forums

Hope this helps,
Shawn

http://www.eightforums.com/general-support/22609-switching-power-plan-shortcut.html
Relevancy 50.31%

Am I doing any harm to my laptop by just unplugging from the mains when I move location, I've been assuming that it just switches to battery for the time it takes it to replug into the mains in another room, then switches back, should I power down each time.

A:Switching From Battery To Mains Power

by unplugeing your laptop while runing... you can severly damage your laptop... first you should shutdown the laptop than remove the cord and goto you other location.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/switching-from-battery-to-mains-power.334441/
Relevancy 50.31%

I have a Compaq Presario R3000 that I've owned for about 1.5 yrs. Several months ago, I noticed that it keeps switching to battery power even when plugged in. It used to happen when there was movement but now it can happen at just about any time. I assume it's a problem in the AC jack but what I want to know is....how much trouble is this to "fix"? Is it a fairly common problem with laptops?
Thanks

A:Laptop keeps switching to battery power

It's a very common issue with laptops, and I'd get it corrected BEFORE you end up with this! This is the second of two laptops I've seen in the last year that people ignored the advice to deal with the loose power connection.

As to how difficult it is to fix, that's going to depend on the specific make/model of laptop, and how much disassembly is required to repair/replace the jack.

P.S. Yes, the MB was destroyed and needed to be replaced in both laptops.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/laptop-keeps-switching-to-battery-power.464166/
Relevancy 50.31%

hi guys as per one of my friend I could replace my memory RAM up to GB so I ve ordered Power Light Motherboard/Power 8300 AMBER Green XPS - Supply - Light a couple sticks of Kingston HyperX nbsp so I ve took slot and replaced GB Hynix RAM by GB HyperX Now I have a good old CPU that doesnt work plus it smell like burnt plastic with no apparent damage to XPS 8300 - AMBER Motherboard/Power Light - Green Power Supply Light the board or RAM nbsp Startup x BEEP No BIOS Motherboard Light Solid AmberBootup Light Flashing AmberPower Supply Light Solid Green I ve tried booting from nbsp a single RAM unit on slot one then slot two and nothing has changed anyone can help Motherboard Y MRGhttp www findlaptopdriver XPS 8300 - AMBER Motherboard/Power Light - Green Power Supply Light com specs- y mrg-dell Processor i Primary SSD Kingston HyperX Savage added Secondary Seagate TB TB added Barracuda New RAM nbsp ts HX C FK http www kingston com dataSheets HX C FK pdfOld RAM nbsp HMT U CFR C-H https www amazon com PC - - MHz-Hynix-HMT U CFR C-H -Unbuffered dp B BTRAS

http://en.community.dell.com/support-forums/desktop/f/3514/t/19987583
Relevancy 49.88%

Hi everybody !

My issue i very strange ....
On Windows 7 x64 Integrale (Ultimate in english ?) i have create a new "standard" user ....
When i try to 'Switch user' in start menu, my system goes down (no more display on screen), my HDD start to speed up for about 30sec ...the only way i have is to manually power off my PC
Same, When i try to 'Switch user' after a CTRL ALT DEL, i have the same issue !!!
When i first start my PC, on logon screen, all the users available appears (2), and i can log into the session's user that i choose ...

P.S. I have tried to 'Close session' instead of switching user, thniking that i will land onto the windows logon screen, but exactly same issue as when i click on 'Switch user' ....

any help will be appreciated

A:Switching user causes sleep/hibernate and then power off !

At the command prompt run as administrator, type powercfg.exe /hibernate off
Start menu > type Power options
In the left pane, open the link labeled Change when the computer sleeps and then open the link Change advanced power settings.
Under the Advanced Sleep options, expand the Sleep tree and turn off Hybrid Sleep.
Press OK.
Reboot.

http://www.sevenforums.com/general-discussion/305502-switching-user-causes-sleep-hibernate-then-power-off.html
Relevancy 49.88%

Not sure what exactly is going on here, bought an X1 Carbon 3448-2D9 second hand yesterday. Battery level is showing full and it appears to be charging properly but removing the charger the laptop switches off instantly.The laptop does turn on without the charger attached and will run for a while until it switches off by itself again, all the while the battery level is showing over 90%. Powercfg report shows that the battery is in reasonable condition.I could return the laptop but I quite like it and would rather fix it if I can, just need a little help diagnosing the issue. Any pointers on further tests or fixes would be greatly appreciated 

https://forums.lenovo.com/t5/ThinkPad-X-Series-Laptops/X1-Carbon-switching-off-randomly-with-power-cord-removed/td-p/3362667
Relevancy 49.45%

I just purchased a new Dell PC.  I now get this message when I turn on my speakers:
power surge on the USB port. Unknown USB device needs more power than the port can supply. I have no idea why or how to fix it. Can anyone help me?

:

http://en.community.dell.com/support-forums/desktop/f/3513/t/19987247
Relevancy 49.45%

For the last two weeks every time I start my Dell INSPIRON E while using the power supply I am greeted with the following message quot The AC power adapter type cannot be determined Your system will operate slower and the battery will not charge Please cannot Supply power - AC type be determined....." "The adapter Power connect a Dell W AC adapter or higher for best system operation quot I press the F Key and everything works fine I ve read about this on other websites and most say it s a design Power Supply - "The AC power adapter type cannot be determined....." flaw in the power supply after the cord has been properly wound around the supply as designed Apparently a few of the cords internal wire strands Power Supply - "The AC power adapter type cannot be determined....." become broken and cause this message My computer is from June and shouldn t be having this issue so early or ever This seems like a flaw that should have created some type of manufacturers recall since so many people are having this issue I m of course out of warranty will Dell replace this free of charge nbsp

A:Power Supply - "The AC power adapter type cannot be determined....."

You are correct, the failure is due toloss of the power supply ID signal. Sometimes this happens because of strain on the plug, which breaks the signal wire. Some even are so severe that the insulation breaks away from the plug; this is due to rough handling. The other cause is one or more of the power socket solder connections to the system board become broken. This also is related to severe handling. I have seen one case where all three power connections and three of four mechanical connections were disconnected. If the power supply is bad, a replacement will cure the problem. If not, then the socket is bad, and this will require a system board replacement. If you are experienced, you can try to resolder the connections. I am experienced and was not able to get my daughter's E6000 to work by resoldered. More recent Dells are using a replacable power connection board which is a much cheaper repair.

http://en.community.dell.com/support-forums/laptop/f/3518/t/19255676
Relevancy 49.02%

The power supply went out in my buddies computer. He has windows XP
the power supply is a
Turbolink Switching PowerSupply
Model: CWT-320ATX-12V (320W MAX)
Input Voltage 115/230V Current 7/4A Frequency 60/50Hz

I have an old one from a windows 98 computer that is a
PowerMan
Model NO: FSP235-60GT
iNPUT 100-120/200-240V 7/4 A 60/50Hz
Output 235 W
He hasn't got anything special hooked up to take alot of power he has a
cd-rom
a cd-burner
floppy driver
harddrive
and thats it

Will they work to switch them or do I have to tell him it has to be the same kind?
He gets mine for free so he could save some money.

Anyone know??

A:Solved: Switching power supplies- Can I switch a 320ATX that went out to a ?

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/solved-switching-power-supplies-can-i-switch-a-320atx-that-went-out-to-a.451085/
Relevancy 49.02%

AMD 64 CPU AM3/AM3+: ​ AMD Phenom II X4 965 3.4GHz (Quad Core) 45nm, AM3 6MB Cache AMD 64 CPU Fans: ​ Spire Kestrel-King II AMD 64 fan AMD 64 AM3/ AM3+ Motherboards: ​ ASUS M5A78L-M LX PLUS AM3+, Onboard Video,Sound, GB LAN DDR3 Dual Channel memory: ​ 8GB (2x4GB) PC10600 DDR3 1333 Dual Channel PCI-Express Video cards: ​ AMD Radeon HD 6670 1GB PCI Express 16x dual head, HDMI Sound Cards: ​ Realtek HD digital audio (onboard) Network Cards: ​ Ethernet network adapter (onboard) Cases: ​ Thermaltake V3 black edition, front USB Power Supply: ​ Logisys 480W ATX Power Supply will 480w work with this set up

Relevancy 49.02%

Client has HP Pavillion Slimline S3307c PC Desktop Computer, AMD 64x2 Dual Core Processor 4200+, 2048 MB Ram, 320 GIG HD, Running Windows Vista Home Premium. Needs a replacement power supply, have looked on line, but do not trust some of the sites. Power Supply part number, HP P/N 5188-7520 160 Watts. Would like to find OEM but after market could be all right if necessary.

Thank you again as this site had been most helpful in the past in helping me troulbeshoot other clients computers.

Still Learning, Learning Still

Curtis

A:Power Supply Help

Look at the old power supply and it will have a HP part number on it.

http://www.sevenforums.com/hardware-devices/204894-power-supply-help.html
Relevancy 49.02%

Hey Guys,

I recently bought a new Case for my PC, just to provide more space and air inside to make it cooler, plus it looks cool

But anyway, my problem is possibly the power supply. If say im playing a game, Mainly World of Warcraft, My computer will just Die, as if power has been literally cut. The Wiring between the PC and the mains is fine, i tried replacing the power cable and it still does it. I can only access my computer if i unplug the pc from the back and plug it back in a few minutes later. I do have a 350 W psu which never did this problem which i could test, but does anyone know how I could perhaps avoid doing so?

Thanks,
Spitfireh4x.

Relevancy 49.02%

A comp tech recently replaced my 200W power supply in my HP Pavilion tower. I asked him what he replaced it with and he said "A better one." I don't know what the wattage is on the new unit, but since then, I notice that the screen desktop is slower responding (opening programs from desktop icons) and also Windows Explorer (not Internet Explorer) is also slow to copy, move, delete or open folders and files. However, once I get a program to open, it runs normally. I've tried all the usual tweaks, even a system restore. I also tried to reset the setting priority for explorer.exe to "high" through Task Manager, but it always resets itself back to "normal". Nothing seems to improve the slow performance. I wanted to know if replacing the power supply could have anything to do with slowing the desktop and explorer responses?

Relevancy 49.02%

I need to know if I need a larger power supply.Here are my system specs and what I'm running in it.

Current Power Supply : 630 watt Raidmax Volcano
Mother board : Epox 9NPA + SLI(NForce 4)
CPU : AMD FX 60(Dual Core) 2.6 ghz
Ram : 4 gig DDR2
Video Card : ATI 4870 512mb
1 - 3.5 Drive
2 - 75gig Western Digital Raptors
1 - 160gig Western Digital Drive
Sound Card : Creative Audigy 2 ZS
TV Tuner Card : Hauppauge PVR 150
2 - 125mm Case fans

I am currently having issues getting the pci slots to work.I beleive it is because the new video card I just installed(ATI 4870 512mb) requires two 6 pin connectors.Where as my old card only required one???

A:New Power Supply ???

Oh ya
1 - LG DVD Burner as well.....

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/new-power-supply.789560/
Relevancy 49.02%

are HP power supplies proprietary or can i plug in any ATX power supply without frying the Motherboard? because i know that some of the older dells have power supplies that have the same connectors as ATX power supplies but the wires are arranged differently which causes the motherboard to fry when connected and powered on. i want to upgrade my power supply and i don't know whether i can just go to bestbuy and buy an ATX power supply or do i have to specially order it from HP. Thanks

Relevancy 49.02%

Hi,

Perhaps someone could advise if a Netgear FS605 ethernet switch could be powered from a spare USB port on BT Vision box without causing problems.

A:USB Power supply

The FS605 datasheet says 7.5 VDC @ 1 amp, so no it won't work.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/usb-power-supply.966966/
Relevancy 49.02%

Need to know how big a power supply is required for a AMD 2100 chip and fan,or If the 235 watt that is being use is ok ?

A:power supply

Wildcat
Welcome to TSG!
In determining what size of Power Supply is required there are more factors to consider. Here is a site that will give you hard numbers to work with to calculate the size. After size is calculated I usuually factor it by 25% to give you some breathing room.
Also you have to make sure the Power Supply is AMD Approved.
http://www.upgradesource.com/advice/advice061001.html

Dave

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/power-supply.118526/
Relevancy 49.02%

hey i have recently purchased a geforce 8500gt graphics card and it didn't work so i posted it here, and they found the solution, it was the power supply and now i'm wondering is there anything i should look out for? i know that i should pay attention to the power supply if it supports pci express and the 20- or 24 pin molex connectors. is there anything else i should pay attention to? thanks!

-albert

A:Power supply

The brand!
There are plenty of generic power supplies out there where the manufacturer just slaps on a random name and ships out for sale.
You need to get a PSU from a reputable manufacturer. To name a few: Antec, Thermaltake, OCZ, Corsair, Cooler Master, Seasonic, FSP, Enermax, etc.
Thermaltake, FSP, and Cooler Master have some nice budget-priced units if you're not looking to spend too much.
I had a look at your other topic. Just make sure to pick a unit that produces the required output, and also to never buy an eMachine ever again.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/power-supply.96249/
Relevancy 49.02%

for this:

AMD Athlon 64 3500+ OEM S939
Spire CPU Cooler S754/939 tot 4800+
Asus A8N-E
Kingston ValueRam 2x512Mb 400 PC3200 CL3
XFX GF 7800GT 256MB Extreme 2dvi vivo PCI-E
WD SATA II 160Gb 8Mb 7200rpm

I need a new power supply. What brands are good?

Is 400W sufficient, or would I better take one of 450W?

Relevancy 49.02%

Got a question in concerns to my power supply. At boot up my
vcore 1.49v
+3.3v 3.26v
+12v 11.98v
DDR 2.50v
AGP 1.50v
Chatemp 22C
CPU 43C
My power supply is 300watts and as the day progresses I get a fare size voltage drop with things changing to:
vcore 1.47v
+3.3v 3.22v
+12v jumping back and forth from 11.67v to 11.98v
DDR 2.49v
AGP jumping back and forth from 1.47v to 1.49v
Chatemp 40C
CPU 43.5C
My system has locked up twice now on me and only locks up later in the day. It's about a month old and my husband built it for me. Was wandering if these voltage settings were normal to drop or if I should tell him I need a bigger power supply.

Thanks for any input:

**CRYLYNX**

Relevancy 49.02%

Hi My powersupply is getting really hot and what made me notice it is it started to smell funny and Computer rebooted and told me overclocking didnt work when I didnt do any overclocking to it. I have only one side fan Im thinking about adding more 1 or 2 more fans do you guys think that is the problem?

A:Power Supply Getting Hot

Is the case getting dusty?

make sure all the fans you have now are spinning. (Video card, CPU, power supply and case)

Did you build the system? What did you do about thermal paste on the CPU?

If all this clears try another fan

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/power-supply-getting-hot.611018/
Relevancy 49.02%

i have just install a power supply and now when i power up my pc it turn on but it does not popup Windows Vista on my Screen and i cant open my dvd/ cd writer driver can any help (bad hard drive)

A:power supply

hi ok what happend to your old power supply and did you make sure you have all the connections in place with your new one

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f217/power-supply-345480.html
Relevancy 49.02%

actually I need 2, each with as many amps on the rail as possible on 1 I just need a 500wat on the other I need a horse like a 700 or 750wat.

Thanks nickc

A:Need a new power supply and would like some help

Hi nickc,
1)how many amps do you need? (or what kinds of machines are they going in?)
2) whats your budget?

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/need-a-new-power-supply-and-would-like-some-help.138391/
Relevancy 49.02%

The power supply on my Dell Inspiron died less than six months after purchase.  The warranty provides for 1-2 business days service BUT the part is back ordered and no one can say when or if it will be supplied.  This is a mission critical computer for a small non-profit that serves children that have been abused.  Dell is worth 25 BILLION dollars.  The warranty, however, appears to be worthless.  We spent nearly $500 in charitable contributions to buy this Inspiron desktop ... and the best we can get for service is "if, maybe, or could be ... but we don't know when".  I would ask all community members to join me in reviewing Dell's warranty services, online, as utterly worthless.  I have purchased many Dell computers over the years for NGO(S) ... this will be the last.  What a disappointment!

http://en.community.dell.com/support-forums/desktop/f/3514/t/19993780
Relevancy 49.02%

Hello,

I'm ordering a new system, and I'd like to make sure the power supply is a good one, any advice on what do I look for please?

I am in the UK but I would guess power supplies are pretty similar.

Regards....Mike

Relevancy 49.02%

I can't believe it. I actually managed to get an antec 350 watt power supply into an HP case. I had to remove the cdroms and bend the chassis but it is in.
The screw holes didn't line up, but that doesn't matter. The thing couldn't move if it tried. This was a rediculous ordeal to have to go through.
I'll never buy from the box folks again, this is a 2 ghz with 512 meg of ram and came with a 200 watt power supply. Man, what a rip. I am off to see if there is any noticeable change. I have just fired her up. Had to come here to complain before I did anything else.

Relevancy 49.02%

I was given a computer that was not working, they said it just stopped, so I tested the power supply by jumping it and it did nothing. I had a lower wattage supply I tried and it still wouldn't start, although when I jumped it the fans started up. It had a 520 watt supply in it and I used a 250 watt to try it, would this affect it, or am I looking at another problem.

A:Power supply or?

If the 1st power supply failed, then there is a good possibility that when failure occurred it may have taken out the motherboard and/or other components.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/power-supply-or.881072/
Relevancy 49.02%

I just bought an HP Slimline 450-151 Desktop PC from the USA and I'd like to switch its power supply from 110w to 220w. What do you suggest I should do? 

http://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Desktop-Hardware-and-Upgrade-Questions/Power-supply/td-p/5790986
Relevancy 49.02%

Hello,

I went to Microcenter the other day to buy a graphics card, Nvidia 8800 GT to be exact. The employee told me that my power supply would not provide enough power for any good video card. The other employee said otherwise. I bought my computer from a guy who builds his own. Here are my specs:

Pentium D 3.4 Ghz
2GB Ram
250GB HDD
Xion Power supply http://microcenter.com/single_product_results.phtml?product_id=0232152

Do you think I should get a new power supply? If so, what kind should I get? Any suggestions will be greatly appreciated. Im very confused about what to do.

Thanks in advance,

Alex

Relevancy 49.02%

Recently I went to turn my comp on and had a no signal to the monitor after Supply Power bad? trying again and again to get it to recognize it never had an issue before I decided maybe the mobo was bad Biostar socket AMD onboard vid card nothing real Power Supply bad? special So I tracked down a new socket with a sempron chip replaced the chip throw in a vid card and hooked everything up it all worked just fine save the face the USB ports and the Ethernet port weren t working Power Supply bad? light would flash on the Ethernet port and then flash off A normal keyboard worked but never the USB connections so while trying to figure that out I once again started to get the no signal to the monitor issue still get it after unplugging the vid card and trying to use the onboard vid card nothing I ve tried monitor cables and different monitors I know they all work the PSU is a W I had a W but the fan stopped Is there any way to tell for sure if its the PSU Just trying to tell for sure before I go buy one Thank you for any help nbsp

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/power-supply-bad.102070/
Relevancy 49.02%

hello guppies,

I just bought an AT power supply, it has four wires (2 white, 2 black) that goes into power switch.
How do I connect them. Can anyone help? The old ps had four wires, 1 white, 1 black, 1 blue, and 1 brown. Does it really matter, where I connect them?

A:AT Power Supply

Hopefully you noted how(where) the old power leads attached to the switch, primarily the brown and black wires. Any how, connect one black wire to where the original black wire was attached. Connect the other black wire to where the brown wire was attached. Connect the two white wires to the remaining terminals. (one to where the blue wire attached and the other to where the white wire was attached).

BE ABSOLUTELY CERTAIN THAT THE POWER CORD IS NOT PLUGGED INTO THE POWER SUPPLY WHILE WORKING ON THE SWITCH AS THE BROWN WIRE CARRIES 120 VOLTS TO THE SWITCH !!

Just so you'll know:

Brown = 120 Volt from power cord
Blue = Neutral for power cord
Black = 120 V from switch to power supply
White = Neutral for power supply

Hope this helps.

Kilowatt

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/at-power-supply.124402/
Relevancy 49.02%

In time I'll be replacing my dad's power supply in his computer now I'm sure it's an easy procedure to do but can anyone here give me any step by step info on how I can do so seeing this would be the first Power Supply I've ever replaced.

Relevancy 49.02%

hey everyone my power supply well exploded and now I need a new one i went onto tiger direct to find a new one and this is what I came up with http www tigerdirect com applications Category category slc asp CatId now my question is what is compatible with my computer the old power supply has a sticker on the side and this is exactly what it says Power Man CE CB N Csa RU DVE INPUT - - V A Hz OUTPUT W V line with dots under it A ORG V sb line with dots under it A PURP V line with dots under it A RED - V line with dots under it A BLUE V line with dots under it A YEL - V line with dots under it A BROWN P G SIGNAL WHITE GROUND BLACK FUSE RATING F A V thats what it says is there a compatible power supply in that list i provided before and if there isnt does anyone know where to find one I dont know power supplys at all so any help or suggestions are greatly appreciated THNX FOR ANY HELP nbsp

Relevancy 49.02%

i got a 400 watt power supply in my computer i run

ATI 9800 pro Graphics card
80 gig HD
GIGABYTE mobo
512 duel ram
2.4 amd athlon

i got 3 colour fans 1 on the side 2 at the back

and here is the bit i got a cathode that lights blue green n red installed it and now my sound jitters and my games also but mainly sound? could this be a PSU not powerfull enough or somehting else i dont think its a sofware problem im all up todate?

Relevancy 49.02%

hi, I have a hp elite 8200 sff and I am wondering what wattage the power supply is,

Thanks

A:What power supply do I have

HP Compaq 8200 Elite Small Form Factor PC: here are the specifications on a standard one from HP:
http://h20564.www2.hp.com/hpsc/doc/public/display?docLocale=en_US&docId=emr_na-c02781555

However, If you want to make sure and you know what you are doing: here are the directions on how to get the information you are looking for:
http://www.game-debate.com/helpFile.php?hardwareHelp=psu

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/what-power-supply-do-i-have.1167975/
Relevancy 49.02%

is an amd cpu dependent on the power supply wattage?
a technician claimed that a 145W ps would not run a 950mhz amd.