Windows Support Forum

External hard drives not showing up

Q: External hard drives not showing up

I have 2 new external hard discs do show on my computer .They are running but not showing in PC.What to do ? Thank you

Relevancy 100%
Preferred Solution: External hard drives not showing up

I recommend downloading and running Reimage. It's a computer repair tool that has been proven to identify and fix many Windows problems with a high level of success.

I've used it in the past to identify and fix everything from blue screens (BSOD's), ActiveX errors, corrupt files and processes, dll/exe/sys errors, recover lost memory, Windows update problems, defragging, malware removal etc.

You can download it direct from this link http://downloadreimage.com/directdownload.php. (This link will automatically start a download of Reimage that you can save to your computer.)

A: External hard drives not showing up

Hello,

I'm not completely certain that I understood your situation. I wonder if it's possible to clarify the question? Otherwise Disk Management is a good place to start looking for a missing HDD.
If the HDD is brand new you might need to initialize it. This is needed if below the disk it says ?Not Initialized?. Right-click on the Disk that says ?Not Initialized? and click ?Initialize Disk?. Then you will have the option to choose between MBR and GPT. If the drive is more than 2 TB you should use GPT, if not you could use MBR as well. Once the Disk is listed as Basic and online right click the unallocated space and click create a ?New Simple Volume?. For the file system choose ?NTFS? if you want to use the HDD on Windows.

Hope that helps.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/external-hard-drives-not-showing-up.205942/
Relevancy 87.29%

I haven't used my external hard drives for quite a while and I am now having trouble getting the computer to recognise both a Seagate and a Simpledrive. I got them to show up once on "computer" but now they have both vanished again. Any advice please?

A:External Hard Drives Not Showing Up

do they show up in device manager?

http://www.sevenforums.com/hardware-devices/201051-external-hard-drives-not-showing-up.html
Relevancy 87.29%

I upgrade to windows 10 anniversary and now my 2 external hard drive don't show. They still work i tested them on my windows 7 laptop i can see all my data. i tried looking up solution but can find one, i have no idea on how to fix it. i was messing with disk management and my hard drive don't have a latter assign to it. i tried to assign one but the option is gray out and my hard drive say unallocated but it still works on my other laptops so i have no idea on how to fix. CAN ANYONE HELP ME?

http://forums.windowscentral.com/ask-question/440690-why-my-external-hard-drives-showing.html
Relevancy 86.43%

External Hard Drives Showing As: (J Error
Ive been using my external hard drives for a while now with no problems, this morning I startup my computer and both of them are not working.

They show up as
(J Error
(K Error

Their both showing as empty
I tried restarting and everything, can someone please help me?
Thanks

A:External Hard Drives Showing As: (J:) Error

Spyware Symptom

Check for spyware. You can find the following 3 anti-spyware utlities in the downloads section:

Malwarebytes Anti-Malware
SpuerAntispyware
Spybot Search & Destroy

A common symptom of spyware is that it disables one or more of your devices. You need to run 3 anti-spyware utilities as there are many different types of spyware.

Repost with results.

-- Andy

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/external-hard-drives-showing-as-j-error.135417/
Relevancy 73.1%

Hi all. I'm hoping someone could help me with this issue. I just finished putting together my computer, installed Windows 7 Pro 64 bits. However, both of my hard drives (one SSD, one regular HDD) are showing up as external drives (plug-and-play). If I click the "Safely Remove Hardware" icon, I could actually "eject" both of my hard drives. I've searched on Google for clues, but it wasn't helpful. If anyone has any idea on how to fix this, it will be greatly appreciated. Thank you!

A:Internal drives showing up as external drives

You have to enable write caching for your internal hard disk.- Click on Start Menu.- Type devmgmt.msc and press Enter.- Locate your hard disk under Disc Drives in the list in Device Manager.- Double-click on your hard disk.- Select Policies tab.- Check the checkbox Enable write caching on this device- Click OK.

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/410628/internal-drives-showing-up-as-external-drives/
Relevancy 70.52%

i am going home for winter break and i wanted to take over some videos i had on my hard drive, but the problem is that it is an internal hard drive, and i want to be able to transfer the data to a laptop. Is there a way that you can turn an internal hard drive into an external hard drive? Or is there a piece of hardware that will alow me to do this?

Relevancy 69.23%

I am running Windows XP SP3 right now on a Lenovo 7650-ELU and experiencing some odd problems. For some reason, the laptop I have will not recognize USB Flash Drives that I put into it or External Hard Drives. I know that the USB ports work correctly, because I have plugged in optical mouses and keyboards that work. I searched the forums and didn't see anything like this.

It's odd how when I first insert them, it makes the sound and shows the icon in the taskbar that would allow me to safely remove the device, but nothing else. So far, I have gone into the device manager and uninstalled all the USB ports and restarted hoping this would solve my problem, but it continues to do the same thing.

If anyone has some helpful advise, please post. I appreciate all the help.

Cheers!

A:USB Ports Don't Recognize Flash Drives or External Hard Drives

Has it ever worked before?

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f10/usb-ports-dont-recognize-flash-drives-or-external-hard-drives-335404.html
Relevancy 68.37%

I set up a new computer. Windows 7 Pro 64x
Everything was fine but then I connected a flash drive to it and I get:

Location Not Available
H:\ is not accessible. Access is denied

If I go into the properties to the ?security? tab, it says ?you do not have permission to view or edit this object?s permission settings?

If I go into the ?owner? tab of Advanced Security Settings, current owner says ?Unable to display current owner?
This is on every flash drive and portable hard drive on all 4 usb ports.
I am logged in as the administrator and there is not even another user account on the computer
I?ve run sfc /scannow

I?m absolutely stumped. I?ve never had this happen on any computer where I couldn?t use an external device.

This is not my computer so I?ll have to do whatever remotely.

Thank you for the help.

A:All Flash Drives & External Hard Drives NOT ACCESSIBLE?

Sometimes when I plug in a USB Thumb/Flash drive I get a message about "this device can perform faster if plugged into a USB 2 port" so I shut the computer down and pull the power cord and USB devices from the back of it. After waiting a bit I put everything back and all is good.

http://www.sevenforums.com/hardware-devices/354251-all-flash-drives-external-hard-drives-not-accessible.html
Relevancy 68.37%

I have a new computer plus a couple of other computers and I have some external hard drives and flash drives. what is the best way to check these devices to make sure they are clean, will just connecting them and viewing them or running AV and other security checks propose a risk to the computer that is checking?
Thanks for any advise!

A:External Hard drives and flash drives security

zformer,

You can consider the use of the Panda Vaccine on your computer and USB Drives:
Download Panda USB and AutoRun Vaccine - MajorGeeks

This tool provides a two way security by vaccinating both computer and/or USB drives.
It work on NTFS, FAT, FAT32 formatted drives.
However, vaccinating a USB drive cannot be undone without formatting the USB disk, using a hex editor, or a File Manager in a Linux distribution..

Next, make sure that your Antivirus can scan USB drives. Some do not have this option.

http://www.sevenforums.com/system-security/361360-external-hard-drives-flash-drives-security.html
Relevancy 68.37%

My Windows 10 Home laptop will recognize all of my flash drives but won't recognize any of my external hard drives. They all use to show up but now they aren't. The hard drives show up in disk manager but won't show up in file explorer. I hooked them up to other laptops & they all show up. I've tried uninstalling drivers & reinstalling them but It hasn't worked. Any ideas?

http://www.tenforums.com/drivers-hardware/66530-flash-drives-recognized-but-external-hard-drives-not.html
Relevancy 67.08%

I have several old hard drives, taken from previouse CPU's. Is there anyway in which I can use them as external hard drives or be able to read what is stored on them, without hooking up INSIDE my CPU ?

Relevancy 67.08%

I already found out the hard way that flash drives don't have a registry in which I can install a program to it, and run it on other computers, unless the program is a lite program. Is there a way to make it more flexible in the sense of creating a registry for it?

Next question; Do external hard drives have a registry? Could I install games and or programs to an external and run them directly from it? Is there a way to create a registry for it if it does not have one?
Anyone that has anything else to possibly add, I'm more than happy to explore any and all options, so don't be shy!

Help is appreciated, thanks in advance!

A:External hard drives / flash drives.

i do not know the particulars of it but yes it is possible to copy/paste a programme file from c drive ,programme files, onto flash drive and run it, i do it myself

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/external-hard-drives-flash-drives.930251/
Relevancy 67.08%

I have windows 7 pro and recently I have not been able to open up a new folder on any external hard drive or flash drive that I use with my computer. When I use these same flash and external hard drives in another computer it works fine, my initial thought is, there is something disabled in my system or some program is blocking me when I try to create a new folder in my drives. need advice and help.

A:Flash drives and external hard drives

It may be your explorer. Run a sfc /scannow in Command Prompt

http://www.sevenforums.com/hardware-devices/315742-flash-drives-external-hard-drives.html
Relevancy 66.65%

Hey I was just wondering how come when I hook four hard drives to my computer they are recognized in the bios but not in my computer and if your wondering why I have four hard drives hooked up is because I am really cheap!

Relevancy 66.65%

ive just reinstalled my win 2000 machine after my main scsi had a head crash.
ive finally gotten all the main drivers loaded (video sound mobo etc...)
but for some reason the 2 hard drives that are on my primary ide channel are not showing.
ive looked in the disk manager and they are both there with thier partitions but they have red X on them

anyone know why???????

they have my most valueable data

ps. they also show up in bios

Relevancy 66.65%

PC= Toshiba Satellite X205-SLi1

Comes with 120G HS x2 and one is missing/not showing up under my computer or even being there. Any1 have any clue to whats going on, its just like ..missing. Sadly until I was scanning around looking for my Movie folder I realized it was in my other internal hard drive which is where I found it not showing up under "My Computer" or anywhere else.

Did something come loose? It's a laptop, will this be a possibly complicated fix?

Thanks in advanced for any help or assistance as always!

Michael

A:One of my hard drives not showing up?

The "missing" drive could be bad... or loose on it's connector. You will have to open the laptop or a hard drive bay, to check and access the hard drives

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/one-of-my-hard-drives-not-showing-up.131151/
Relevancy 66.65%

i just installed 2 new hard drives in my computer, but they are not showing up in "my computer"
be advised my tech level is fairly low , but the since the ones that were already installed were identical to the new ones. i just hooked up everything the same.
b4 we go further= i had a friend build my system 4for me but, he is no longer availble.
my system consist of q9650 quad core 2.83 mhz
mobo- asus stryker II extreme
8 gigs of ddr3
gtx 285 graphics card
2 western digatal cavair black 640 gbs set as raid 0 data striping,
and hopefully soon to be 2 more of the above hard drives set the same.

i was into the set up screen and did not know enough to get it done. any help would be helpful

A:new hard drives not showing up

Hi ,
Welcome to the forum.
This link may answer some of your questions:-

Drive Not Displayed in My Computer After Adding New Hard Disk

Please let us know if ok

http://www.vistax64.com/general-discussion/288368-new-hard-drives-not-showing-up.html
Relevancy 66.65%

So I installed two 500 GB Western Digital Blues yesterday, and they worked fine. But, after a reboot today, they no longer show up. They are in device manager and in my UEFI, but disk management doesn't show it. I reset the bios with no prevail on the issue. Samsung Magician also thinks that I am in RAID mode, so could that be why? I don't think it is because I reset the bios to AHCI. I appreciate any help given. Thanks.

http://www.tenforums.com/drivers-hardware/49346-hard-drives-not-showing-up.html
Relevancy 65.79%

I know there are some similar topics, however i haven't found one that matched my situation.

Problem:
- Hard drives are working, but are not showing in My Computer

Some Info:
- Brand new hard drives
- Updated BIOS to newest one successfully
- BIOS recognizes the drives
- I tried uninstalling and reinstalling the drives
- I rebooted a couple of times

Some pics:

http://www.vistax64.com/drivers/241298-hard-drives-working-but-not-showing.html
Relevancy 65.79%

Hey everyone, I posted this topic in the internal hardware section, but I was advised to ask if anyone thought this could be a virus or not. The problem is whenever I open my computer, my C: drive and external K: drive are not showing. Only my removable drives are showing. I ran Spybot - Search & Destroy, Malwarebytes Anti-maleware, and Uniblue SpyEraser; to my knowledge they did not show anything wrong. In case anyone wants to look at my previous post, here it is: http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/323726/hard-drives-are-not-showing-in-my-computer/

A:Hard drives are not showing in 'My Computer'

Have you personally performed any manual drive letter assignments, or has everything been left to default drive letter assignment?

edit added:
another possibility comes to mind...if you have used any master boot record modifying software such as Roxio Go Back (there are other programs that cause this, Symantec among them...and we can't rule out malware), then it is likely that Windows will not be able to access the drive in Windows XP, even when the hard disk appears in Device Manager and in Disk Management console.

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/324790/hard-drives-are-not-showing-in-my-computer/
Relevancy 65.79%

When I open up the My Computer folder it only shows devices with are not Computer' drives showing in 'My Hard removable storage Floppy drive CD DVD drive etc My C drive and my external Western Digital TB K drive are not shown anywhere on my computer I ve already made another profile to see if they showed up there but they don t I already posted two other threads and I was told to ask for help here Also when Hard drives are not showing in 'My Computer' I tried to use the gmer exe to scan my computer in the normal boot mode I got a blue screen that said something like quot Windows has encountered an error and is shutting down to avoid serious damage This error is caused by the file pxtdqpob sys quot Then when I booted in safe mode to scan the first three scans caused my computer to freeze Finally on the last scan there was only a few lines that showed in the ark txt file Well heres the DDS scan results DDS Ver - - - NTFSx Run by Josh at on Thu Internet Explorer BrowserJavaVersion Microsoft Windows XP Professional GMT - AV McAfee VirusScan On-access scanning enabled Outdated B EE - - CDE-A A-DD BA FAD FW McAfee Personal Firewall disabled B - C F- -BDA - CA DA E Running Processes C WINDOWS system nvsvc exeC WINDOWS system svchost -k DcomLaunchsvchost exeC WINDOWS System svchost exe -k netsvcsC WINDOWS system svchost exe -k WudfServiceGroupsvchost exeC WINDOWS system spoolsv exeC WINDOWS system CTsvcCDA exeC WINDOWS eHome ehRecvr exeC WINDOWS eHome ehSched exeC Program Files Java jre bin jqs exeC Program Files Malwarebytes Anti-Malware mbamservice exeC Program Files McAfee SiteAdvisor McSACore exeC PROGRA McAfee MSC mcmscsvc exec program files common files mcafee mna mcnasvc exec PROGRA COMMON mcafee mcproxy mcproxy exeC Program Files Common Files Microsoft Shared VS DEBUG MDM EXEC Program Files McAfee MSK MskSrver exeC WINDOWS system PSIService exeC WINDOWS ehome RMSvc exeC Program Files Uniblue DiskRescue UBDiskRescueSrv exeC Program Files Western Digital WD SmartWare WD Drive Manager WDDMService exeC Program Files Western Digital WD SmartWare Front Parlor WDSmartWareBackgroundService exec WINDOWS system ZuneBusEnum exeC Program Files Common Files Pure Networks Shared Platform nmsrvc exeC WINDOWS system dllhost exeC PROGRA McAfee VIRUSS mcsysmon exeC Program Files McAfee MPF MPFSrv exeC WINDOWS Explorer EXEC WINDOWS system rundll exec PROGRA mcafee com agent mcagent exeC Program Files Creative Sound Blaster X-Fi DVDAudio CTDVDDET EXEC Program Files Creative Sound Blaster X-Fi Volume Panel VolPanel exeC Program Files Creative Shared Files Module Loader DLLML exeC WINDOWS stsystra exeC Program Files ScanSoft PaperPort pptd nt exeC Program Files Common Files Pure Networks Shared Platform nmctxth exeC Program Files Pure Networks Network Magic nmapp exeC Program Files Zune ZuneLauncher exeC Program Files Logitech GamePanel Software LgDevAgt exeC WINDOWS SYSTEM CTXFISPI EXEC Program Files Logitech GamePanel Software LCD Manager LCDMon exeC Program Files Logitech GamePanel Software G-series Software LGDCore exeC WINDOWS system wuauclt exeC WINDOWS system CTHELPER EXEC Program Files Common Files Java Java Update jusched exeC Program Files Elaborate Bytes VirtualCloneDrive VCDDaemon exeC WINDOWS system RUNDLL EXEC WINDOWS system CTXFIHLP EXEC Program Files Logitech GamePanel Software Applets LCDClock exeC Program Files Malwarebytes Anti-Malware mbamgui exeC Program Files Logitech GamePanel Software Applets LCDMedia exeC Program Files Uniblue SpyEraser SpyEraser exeC WINDOWS system ctfmon exeC Program Files SUPERAntiSpyware SUPERAntiSpyware exeC Program Files Logitech GamePanel Software Applets LCDCountdown exeC Program Files Logitech GamePanel Software Applets LCDPop exeC Program Files Logitech GamePanel Software Applets LCDRSS exeC WINDOWS ehome RMSysTry exeC Program Files Western Digital WD SmartWare WD Drive Manager WDDMStatus exeC Program Files Uniblue PowerSuite powersuite exeC Program Files Uniblue SpeedUpMyPC sump e... Read more

A:Hard drives are not showing in 'My Computer'

Hi Captain Meeeee,Welcome to Virus/Trojan/Spyware/Malware Removal (VTSMR) forum. I am going to assist you with your problem.Please refrain from making any changes to your system (scanning or running other tools, updating Windows, installing applications, removing files, etc.) from now on as it might interfere with our fixes. In case of making changes I shall assume my assistance is not needed any more.I see nothing suspicious on your log letting me thing this issue is malware related. Moreover, an infected machine should show other symptoms too. But we dig a little deeper.Run GMER, uncheck all boxes but let the box next to Sections and C drive remain checked. Click Scan.When it finished press Save to save the log and post it to your reply. It will not take more than a minute.Please download MBR.EXE by GMER. Save the file in your Windows directory (C:\Windows).Please run Notepad (start > All Programs > Accessories > Notepad) and copy and paste the text in the code box into a new file:[email protected] offif exist mbr.log del mbr.logmbr.exe -t ping 1.1.1.1 -n 1 -w 1000 >nulstart mbr.logGo to the File menu at the top of the Notepad and select Save as.Select Save in: desktopFill in File name: look.batSave as type: All file types (*.*)Click save.Close the Notepad.Locate look.bat on the desktop. It should look like this: Double-click to run it.A notepad opens, copy and paste the content (log.txt) to your reply.Please download OTL by OldTimer.Save it to your desktop.Double click on the OTL icon on your desktop.Click the "Scan All Users" checkbox.Under Output select "Standard Output" checkbox.Set Services, Drivers and Standard Registry to All.Click Run Scan button.Two reports will open, attach them to your reply:OTL.txt <-- Will be openedExtra.txt <-- Will be minimized

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/325498/hard-drives-are-not-showing-in-my-computer/
Relevancy 65.79%

I am currently running Windows 8 64 bit and when I go to "My Computer" it is only showing my C: drive. I know my other drives (internal, external and dvd) are working because I can enter the directory name (ie. H:\ or E:\) into the address bar and the content appears. Is there any way to fix this problem so that they show up in "My Computer"?

A:Hard Drives Not Showing Up in My Computer

There is an option in Folder Options under the view tab to hide empty drives in my computer. See if unchecking that option helps.

http://www.eightforums.com/drivers-hardware/30051-hard-drives-not-showing-up-my-computer.html
Relevancy 64.93%

Hey so the story is, it was time for an upgrade and I got a barebundle package from Novatech. I installed windows 7 on a brand new hard drive and then afterwards I plugged in my 2 old sata hard drives which were bought at Novatech and when they came with that computer like 3 or 4 years ago they came as two 250gig hard drives merged together.

They are showing up in my computer like this:

Then I googled the problem and I came to this forum and somebody had a similar but not the same problem, I thought to cut time I'd show you what my Disk Management looks like:

Does anybody know how I can access those two merged hard drives? Would be so amazing seeing as I have years of photography, games and work on them

A:New computer and my old hard drives aren't showing up.

Bootup using a live linux distro and check if the data in the hard drives shows up or not. If it does then it is an issue with windows 7, else probably the sectors are corrupt which means there is no possible bay (except opening the hard disk and using a magnetic data reader), which means you have to format your hard disk.

http://www.sevenforums.com/general-discussion/128846-new-computer-my-old-hard-drives-arent-showing-up.html
Relevancy 64.93%

This is my first build Just getting Hard Computer showing Drives not in Management Windows on the SSD was a minor adventure on its own i ASUS P Z Windows on new gb OCZ SSD - Shows in Computer Management New tb WD Green - Shows Formatting right now tb WD Green - Shows but as unformatted - working on this w testdisk tb WD Green - Shows tb WD Green - Does not show gb WD not sure of series - Does not show - this was my last comp's Hard Drives not showing in Computer Management main C drive w Vista Sata is through a Vantec PCI-E card The user manual was very confusing amp I have not installed any drivers for the card There were dozens several required copying the drivers to then installing from old-school floppies who still has those amp they all read like they assumed a RAID array gb Seagate - Does not show Also using the PCI-E card Just to anticipate a few of the simpler answers Yes all the drives' pertinent cables are all attached in the appropriate places amp yes they all worked fine before-hand Well okay the Seagate was wonky Forget the Seagate

A:Hard Drives not showing in Computer Management

You seems to have a lot of HD in this PC, you probably install them on the third party controller, Marvell or something else ( not the Intel one ) and it's not activated in the BIOS, or the drivers are not install, what model of motherboard you have ?

http://www.eightforums.com/drivers-hardware/5577-hard-drives-not-showing-computer-management.html
Relevancy 64.93%

Hi all so I've been trying out build for a few days on my system which includes quite a bunch of hard drives usually around of them and ever since I got to run Windows for the first time most HDDs are listed as quot Local Disk quot in its explorer while they're obviously supposed to be named something else screenshots included below The thing is even when I try to rename them nothing changes in explorer But there's a twist If I have a look at the disk management utility in the control panel everything looks fine Labels are here and even get updated as I try to rename them through explorer although nothing seems to happen I've really tried out a drives not labels hard in explorer showing lot of things already ie matching the security permissions of a hard drives labels not showing in explorer working disk with the other ones checking out if this has to do with the various sata chipsets those drives depend from and I'm definitely running out of ideas I couldn't find any consistent link between the working drives until this hit me right in the face The only drives actually showing their names in explorer are of the same size which is also the biggest one Tb Did anyone else ran into in this issue Any ideas how to to fix this Oh yeah one last thing this only seems to affect my Sata drives My IDE DVD drive and my usb flashdrive show labels correctly And hard drives labels not showing in explorer just in case all those drives are showing up fine when I boot Windows XP instead

A:hard drives labels not showing in explorer

But i only have SATA Drive, before 2 days there is no such problem.
Now I can see drive names in Disk management of Windows 7 and normally in Windows XP (Dual Boot)

Last thing, i run a full pc scan by eset nod antivirus before this problem

http://www.sevenforums.com/hardware-devices/9171-hard-drives-labels-not-showing-explorer.html
Relevancy 64.93%

I was trying to install elementary OS alongside Windows but when the installation was finishing it crashed. When I went back to Windows my hard drive didn't appear and now it says in Manage>Storage>Disk Management Disk 1 Dynamic - Invalid i posted a picture of this.I tried with Ubuntu then on the other disk same thing happened. Is there a way to get them back to normal without losing the data?

A:2 of my Hard Drives aren't showing the data

Go to: Downloads | mh-nexus , scroll down and select English/portable edition and download.Unzip and right click on HxD.exe and select run as AdministratorClick on Extras->Options and uncheck "Open disk as readonly by default"Click on the HD icon and select the disk (#1 from screen shot)select sector 0 (#2)From address 1C2, if it shows: 42 then change it to: 07 (#3)Reboot and run chkdsk /f X: where X is the drive letter.

NOTE: Since you've done something with UBUNTU, I am not sure if any damage done with it. Try it with one disk first.

http://www.eightforums.com/general-support/53062-2-my-hard-drives-arent-showing-data.html
Relevancy 64.5%

I don't know whether or not to place this here. Maybe someone might be able to help. All of a sudden Microsoft Office Starter 2010 Click to Run is showing up in my hard drives folder. I was trying to do a backup to a WD external HD, and noticed this MS showing up in with the HD's. I can not figure out how to get rid of it.

Can anyone help?

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/434597/ms-office-click-to-run-showing-up-in-my-hard-drives-folder/
Relevancy 64.5%

It s me again I managed to re-install Vista my product key worked fine and salvage Showing/Not them Drives me Hard aren't access Letting all of my documents BUT I have another problem Before I did the whole Windows thing I had an gig secondary hard drive When I decided to do the thing I took that one out and replaced it with a GB Now that I m all set again I reinstalled it but I can t access it I checked it Hard Drives aren't Showing/Not Letting me access them out in Disc Management and it says the drive is offline it also has a little red and white arrow gif next to the drive I m actually able to access a gig partition on the drive Hard Drives aren't Showing/Not Letting me access them but the main part is what Hard Drives aren't Showing/Not Letting me access them I can t get into I m hoping you can shed some light or at least help me find away to retrieve the stuff on that drive This one is really important to me too because the whole of my business is on that drive it d be pretty devestating if it was lost For reference here s a picture of what s going on in Disk Management http i photobucket com albums y priss type diskmanage jpg nbsp

A:Hard Drives aren't Showing/Not Letting me access them

Ah! Its a Dynamic disk, you need to Import the 'foreign' disk.

See http://support.microsoft.com/kb/222189/en-us

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/hard-drives-arent-showing-not-letting-me-access-them.796191/
Relevancy 64.5%

I tried a hackintosh attempt today on a friends Acer 4738 laptop. It didn't work and at the end I had to format the hard drives using the Mac Lion Installers Disk utility as Windows wasn't booting up and a Clean Installation of 7 was the only way out.

So using Disk Utility, I formatted with the MSDos file system and then when I tried installing Windows from a DVD the drives wouldn't show up. So I reformatted the hard drive with NTFS file system using Hirens Bootable Disk , still the drives aren't showing up at the installation.

Note - Hard drives show up in BIOS and also on the hirens bootable disk. Also tried toggling between AHCI abd Sata mode, didnt help.

A:Hard Drives not showing up at installation after Hackintosh attempt

Where did you get Win7? If you burned the DVD yourself I'd confirm the ISO and burn another DVD or write to flash stick using the tool using the official ISO and tool in this tutorial to Clean Reinstall - Factory OEM Windows 7.

If that fails then wipe the HD using Diskpart Clean Command from the Win7 DVD Command Line accessing DISKPART At PC Startup. Then create and format your install partition during install, or let the installer do it for you.

http://www.sevenforums.com/installation-setup/225772-hard-drives-not-showing-up-installation-after-hackintosh-attempt.html
Relevancy 64.07%

My entire life is on my external hard drive - it's supposed to be my back up. Now I have an issue with that.

I'm running XP with all updated security profiles and the latest SP. I have an external hard drive that has been working fine on this box, but recently, the computer isn't recognizing it. It gives me the whole "driver not found" scenario. But it can't find the driver anywhere on the net, my computer, or anywhere else.

It's a Western Digital hard drive, and I think it's called a Passport drive. Apparently, talking to my dad, they're ****ty little drives. Which sucks. All my music, pictures, and writing (freelance and published fiction writer) was on this drive cause I was going from one box to another.

Help! Please tell me that my data is at least salvageable!!!

Relevancy 64.07%

So I recently purchased and installed a new hard drive in my PS To do that I had to reformat my Western Digital GB hard drive to FAT format Ok so that's all well and good but I then decided to take my PS GB HD the brand escapes me but it's a big manufacturer of hard drives and put it in an external hard drive enclosure I figured that it's a perfectly good hard drive so there was no sense wasting it Anyway as technologically impaired as I might sound after this which I'm really not I feel compelled to divulge that I actually did not know that two external hard drives shouldn't be too close to each other As soon as I put one on top of the other the GB hard drive beeped and a message popped up saying it needed reformatting So after reformatting everything a second time I plugged in the hard drives and the GB one showed up but my GB one did not External hard not drive showing up It's showing up everywhere else disk management device manager but not in My Computer So I have no access to it at all Also I did not need to reformat the GB HD since my External hard drive not showing up computer gave me no message indicating that I should I'd rather only use reformatting as an absolute last resort since it takes HOURS but if it's necessary that I'll have to break down Throw other options at me first though If I lost you in the midst of all that jumble tell me I'd be happy to explain further

A:External hard drive not showing up

Hello!

Have you tried assigning the drive a letter in Disk Management?

http://www.sevenforums.com/hardware-devices/54802-external-hard-drive-not-showing-up.html
Relevancy 64.07%

bought a 320GB int. Drive to replace the 40GB internal i use in an enclosure.The 40GB is set to MASTER & i did the same to the 320GB i can hear the the system make that familar sound when you plug a USB device but don't see the drive.When i unplug the USB i could hear that sound again.This is a brand new HD strait out of the static free bag.Please help...

Rgds.

John

A:New external hard drive not showing

The new external drive needs to be formatted. With the external drive connected, Right-click on My Computer and select "manage" disk management, and right-click on the external drive in the list and select format

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/new-external-hard-drive-not-showing.122965/
Relevancy 64.07%

Hi I have a TB Western not Drive up! showing Hard External Digital External harddrive that i purchased couple of months ago still under warranty Last night whilst browsing my files External Hard Drive not showing up! in the external it frooze so i did a restart I noticed that it made a funny noise not really grinding but not sure how to describe it it powered on blue light turned on but then the hard drive didn t show up in windows explorer and windows re-installed the driver software I let it External Hard Drive not showing up! install still nothing so i went to disk management and turns out that it s not intialised so i went intialise then it went do you want to partition by MBR or GPT i did MBR i got an error saying incorrect function I went into device manager and surely the WD was there I plugged it in my PC and same issue I put it on the laptop again and this time it didn t show up in disk management just device manager I am not sure what else to do Please help me out nbsp

A:External Hard Drive not showing up!

Call WD, see if they have any tech bulletins on that model, does not sound good.

They had a bunch of problems with 1.5 tb drives when they first came out.

I hope you had your data in more than 1 place, it may be gone on that drive.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/external-hard-drive-not-showing-up.903566/
Relevancy 64.07%

My WD external harddrive will not show up on my macbook pro and I just bought it. I want to format it but as I said it doesn't show up, even when I go to disk utilities. The harddrive does show up on my windows. What to do?

A:WD external hard drive not showing up on Mac

http://support.wdc.com/product/install.asp?wdc_lang=en

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/wd-external-hard-drive-not-showing-up-on-mac.184234/
Relevancy 64.07%

Hello SEVEN FORUMS,
Im here to write an HELP thread for my external hard drive.
Well first off its a SeaGate 250GB Hard-drive (USB) i plug it into the USB port with cable and the light comes on saying its connected.
I go onto my computer and nothing comes up? Its not in My Computer or anything.
DO i need to Do Something Thanks?

PS: im on Windows 7 Home Premium - 64-Bit

CHEERS

A:External Hard-Drive Not Showing Up

Can you post a screen shot of Disk management?
http://www.sevenforums.com/tutorials...en-forums.html

Screenshot tools.
A Preferred Method of Uploading/Posting Screen Shots
How to Use the Snipping Tool in Vista - Vista Forums
Snipping Tool - Windows 7 features - Microsoft Windows
Use Snipping Tool to capture screen shots
Screenshot with Paint
Screenshot and Upload using MWSnap
fscapture free download

Use Snipping Tool to capture screen shots

http://www.sevenforums.com/hardware-devices/179291-external-hard-drive-not-showing-up.html
Relevancy 64.07%

I have a western digital 2tb hard drive and I am unable to access any of the information on it. It is listed in the devices and printers, but it doesn't give me many options to do much, just view it.

I know that it works on my hp laptop, but the laptop has since crashed. I purchased a new hp desktop and this is where my troubles are.

I tried to find it in disk management, however, it is not found there either. I'm not sure what else to do to access my information.

Any ideas?

A:External Hard Drive Not Showing Up

Hello Trixi

Try a different USB port with the WD Ext HD power turned off. Then power it on to see if the device is found & added. Then check Disk Management.

http://www.sevenforums.com/hardware-devices/284411-external-hard-drive-not-showing-up.html
Relevancy 64.07%

I have an external hard drive, which was one where i bought the case and wiring, and just put in the hard drive from an old computer of mine. It worked great for two years.

Now, whenever i hook it into my usb, it will not show up in my windows explorer. It does, however, show up in my device manager, as "USSB Mass Storage Device". This, combined with the do-DO noise my computer makes when i turn the hard drive on, i know my computer recognizes it, as there. it just wont let me see any of the files on it.

i have un and re installed it several times.

Ihave lots of pictures and such on it, and i do not want to lost them at all.

any help would be great.

Relevancy 64.07%

Today, my external hard drive has not appeared on my PC. It did work before I went to sleep yet when I began my PC in the next morning, it didn't show. Can you please help me how to fix this?

A:External hard drive not showing up on my PC

Hello there,

There are a lot of different reasons for an HDD to stop showing. A few things you can try are:

Try using a different USB cable, make sure it is as short as the original one, or even shorter. This is important it terms of providing enough power for the drive to function properly.

Try connecting it to different USB ports.

Try connecting it to a different PC.

Sometimes the drive can misbehave due to insufficient power even if it appears to be spinning make sure you connect the HDD directly to the USB port and not through a USB hub.

Check if you can see the HDD in Windows Device Manager and in Disk Management. Good luck.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/external-hard-drive-not-showing-up-on-my-pc.209548/
Relevancy 64.07%

I usually use the hard drive with the desktop, however the other day I plugged it into the laptop, it was running at the time, and was accidentally unplugged, since then it doesn't seem to be recognized in either computer. The laptop will make the noise when I plug in the external drive, and it shows up in device and printers. It does not show up in computer management though. I have tried the chkdsk, but it wont work, I am pretty sure I have the right letter, but says no volume. Please help.

Just an add on, the hard drive does light up, but does not spin. I did try installing it in the desktop, but it was not recognized when I tried that.

After awhile of being plugged in the hard drive shows up in disk managment, however when I try to Initialize it, it says I/O Error

A:External Hard Drive not showing up.

Hello jimithing33 ,

Getting an I/o error usually isn't a good sign as often it's related to failed hardware. I guess you already tried using different USB port and cable. What model is this HDD? Is it power fed through the USB cable? You could run the manufacturer’s diagnostics tool to see if it will detect it.

http://www.sevenforums.com/hardware-devices/347304-external-hard-drive-not-showing-up.html
Relevancy 64.07%

I m having quite a problem here My external hard drive Astone - Tb isn t showing up on my computer - or anybody else s I lent it to a friend and I believe he may have been rough with it The base is missing screws and after receiving drive external hard is showing not My up it back My external hard drive is not showing up the following My external hard drive is not showing up day I plugged it into my laptop It came up with quot Installing device driver software quot which My external hard drive is not showing up is odd since I ve used it on there many times before Afterward it would flash in My Computer for a second coloured grey then disappear It does not appear in Safety Removal Hardware either I ve tried this on several computers but with no difference and the blue light still works The problem is definitely with the Hard Drive since thumbdrives still work fine Reformatting isn t an option because there are important irreplaceable files on there It does however show up in control panel gt Hardware and Sound gt Devices and Printers I still can t access it though - When I right-click and go to browse files quot Removable Disk D quot is written in grey Is there anything you tech geniuses can do to help I m really getting desperate here nbsp

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/my-external-hard-drive-is-not-showing-up.170588/
Relevancy 64.07%

I have an external hard drive that I have used regularly with a Windows 7 machine via esata
that does not show up when plugged into my Windows 10 notebook via USB.
I can see it under the disk management, but there is no drive letter assigned so I cannot access it.

?

A:External Hard Drive not showing up

If there's no letter assigned to it then it's hidden. Right click on it -> Change Drive Letter.... then assign a letter for it.

http://www.tenforums.com/general-discussion/37434-external-hard-drive-not-showing-up.html
Relevancy 64.07%

I have an external hard drive that I have used regularly with a Windows 7 machine via esata
that does not show up when plugged into my Windows 10 notebook via USB.
I can see it under the disk management, but there is no drive letter assigned so I cannot access it.

?

A:External Hard Drive not showing up

If there's no letter assigned to it then it's hidden. Right click on it -> Change Drive Letter.... then assign a letter for it.

http://www.tenforums.com/drivers-hardware/37434-external-hard-drive-not-showing-up.html
Relevancy 64.07%

Hi everybody. I have a problem My 3TB Western Digital Hard Drive is not showing up on any PC I connect it to. The light on the drive itself is on, but no where on the PC does it register.

I am pretty sure the disks aren't spinning either, but that is probably because the computer isn't picking it up, and no vice-versa. Any help with this?

A:External Hard Drive not showing up anywhere

Please fill in your specs.
http://www.piriform.com/speccy
Some motherboards require that you configure the BIOS to accept larger drives (2, 3Gb>).
If you're positive that the disks aren't spinning, then that's a red flag as to why the computer doesn't see the drive.

http://www.sevenforums.com/hardware-devices/220795-external-hard-drive-not-showing-up-anywhere.html
Relevancy 63.21%

Hi All!

My computer is old and I can't replace it at the moment. I would like to get some quality external hard drives so that I can remove a lot of photos and videos and back up my business files. What are your recommendations? My computer is an HP, O/S is XP Pro. Thanks in advance.

http://forums.majorgeeks.com/index.php?threads/best-external-hard-drives.311166/
Relevancy 63.21%

I am looking at getting an EHD, I have an Iomega 500gb that is OK but I am thinking of getting another for another computer. What is the best brand name out there? Western Digital? Seagate? Suggestions?

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/external-hard-drives.692633/
Relevancy 63.21%

Has anyone used or built an external hard drive?

Are there any advantages to using one?

Relevancy 63.21%

I have a Dell 8200 and have installed several external hard drives via Fire Wire. I have a DVD burner, a Maxtor external drive and a Western Dig ext hard drive piggy backed. XP seems to suddenly no longer recognize the information on the Western Dig drive. It sees the drive but either gives me a error message that is needs to be formatted or that is isn't a format it recognizes. This was suddenly and without any warning. The Maxtor hard drives seems very hot to touch. Is the firewire the problem, is piggy backing the problem or is XP the problem? This is the second hard drive I have lost (with all data) in a month. I can't figure out what is causing this. Things seem to be humming along and then suddenly I can't get to that hard drive.

A:External Hard drives

Hard to say, I've seen this mentioned here a few times. FWIW, I have a bunch of USB/Firewire hard disks (7 total) and I've never had any issues with them losing data. I've had drives fail over the years, but the drive is really dead, a different issue.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/external-hard-drives.260770/
Relevancy 63.21%

Okay im not really looking for brands or models im asking about desktop vs. Portable,
At my local best buy they have both in my price range they are 1TB drives, im looking to have something that i can plug into multiple computers and access the files and backup multiple computers to it, i am also wanting to have a section of it for my school programs which is why im considering a portable so i can easily take it to school, im wondering what are the pros and cons of each one?

Thanks guys

A:External hard drives what to get?

get a hard drive by itself then buy a enclosure. make sure it has the connectors you need. and all good.

http://www.sevenforums.com/hardware-devices/112017-external-hard-drives-what-get.html
Relevancy 63.21%

Hi,

I have a program on an external USB hard drive. I want to run the program from that HD. It doesn't run properly because it needs to write files to it's folder, and it doesn't have permission to.

If I turn User Account Control off, then everything works just fine, however I don't want to turn it off. Is there anything else I can do to get the program to work properly with UAC turned on? Should the program be writing files to a specific folder?

I tried setting the permissions of the folder to 'full control', but all that seems to do is set the permissions on each individual file that currently exists in the folder.

A:UAC and external hard drives

This should help

User Account Control (UAC) - Elevate Privilege Level

http://www.vistax64.com/system-security/199695-uac-external-hard-drives.html
Relevancy 63.21%

Hi Guys, I am looking to buy an external hard drive to free up space & save data being a luddite & not a gamer I mostly want to store photo"s letters etc how much do I need 500 GB or 1TB also can I connect with USB cable or do I realy have to have a custom install ps what is a reliable brand Thanks Glenn.

A:external hard drives

For photos and letters, 500GB will be fine. In fact, even 320GB or something would be more than enough because photos/letters do not generally take up much space. External hard drives are usually connected with a USB cable (the usb cable is included with the drive). Before buying, read the specifications of the product to make sure it is connected to your computer by usb. Reliable brands... hmm... They are all pretty good, I have a Seagate 500GB External Hard Drive. Also, I'd recommend Western Digital or maybe Hitachi (my computer hard drive is hitachi).

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/external-hard-drives.993465/
Relevancy 63.21%

I'd like to resign my current drive to backup duty by putting it in an enclosure. I'm wondering if I can leave it with an intact OS (XP) and if so, if/how I can switch back and forth between being able to boot off of it and using it as a storage device.

Thank you

Relevancy 63.21%

I'm considering purchase of an external hard drive - either Seagate or Maxtor (although I guess they'll soon be the same). Everything I've read makes me apprehensive about compatibility. I'm almost 60 with 15 grandchildren, so I want to store photos, not games. If anyone has experience or advice, I'd be very grateful.
r2sanford

A:External Hard Drives

Any reputable USB external drive should work fine with XP. You may also want to shop around - but the drive and the enclosure separately and assemble yourself. You may get a bigger/better drive this way.

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f10/external-hard-drives-82867.html
Relevancy 63.21%

hey all im new to this site, i have recently bought a new external hard drive 200gb and it is connected up into a network of 4 computers, and i have put my extensive music collection on to it, i was wondering how to access these files via WMP or can i not?? also do i have to open each individual folder/album to get WMP to regognise it or can i "scan" my network for music files??

thanks x

Relevancy 63.21%

Can an external hard drive be used as a primary drive? For example, if your hardrive "blew up", can you attach an external drive in its place? Thanks

Yes, if your BIOS will allow you to boot to a USB device. Check your BIOS boot sequence.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/external-hard-drives.417323/
Relevancy 63.21%

Hi all, I'm thinking about getting a digital camcorder soon and do some video editing on my PC. I know this requires a lot of hard disk space so I was thinking about getting a 60GB hard drive. The thing is I heard that there are some new external hard drives out right now that connect to your PC via firewire (IEEE1394). These external drives are much more expensive than their internal counterparts, but I was wondering how would the performance compare to the internal drives? Would a 60 GB 7200 RPM external drive be as good as a 60 GB 7200 RPM internal drive?
It would be really cool if these firewire drives would handle video editing as good or better than their internal counterparts because you can do editing on your desktop PC at home or on the road with a laptop.

Thanks.

The last review on hard drives that I seen about a month ago gave the gold medal still to the scuzzy drives but IDE drives are catching up the Firewire drives were very slow compared to the IDE drives and much more expensive. here is a review I found for one http://www.pcplus.co.uk/article.asp?id=29569&cat=REVEW
I dont know if this is the type of thing you are looking for?
http://www.latimes.com/technology/consumer/la-000045568jun30.story?coll=la-technology-consumer
this is for another the transfer times tell there own story
hope this helps

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/external-hard-drives.57082/
Relevancy 63.21%

Hey my comp is a bit broken and i have got it on a warrenty mesh comp they are coming to colect it and run some tests on it in a few days but before they come i am really worried about them losing all the data on my hard drive the situation with my comp at the momment is that no data is being send to the screen and it seems to be starting up incorrectly see here and i was wondering how i should Drives External Hard back it up prior to External Hard Drives this happening i was looking External Hard Drives for somthing to back up my disk this has just made it slightly more urgent i am currently looking at the Western Digital Media Center as i was also looking into buying a memorycard reader and a hub which this has built into it but i am unsure how i can get the data onto it my questions to you are am i oing for the right thicg and how can i get the data off it thanks all nbsp

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/external-hard-drives.15117/
Relevancy 63.21%

I am using windows xp and have SP2. I would like to buy an external hard drive to keep my photo's on. Can I just check - do external HD just plug into a USB socket?? do they come blank or do you have to put XP on them?? do you have to have any special software?? Will the external hardrive only work on your computer?? any other info I need before I buy please??? thanks!

Relevancy 63.21%

I can only run one at a time instead of two. I would like to copy my 1.5tb over to my 2tb so I have a back up.

My laptop only holds 200GB of remaining data so I can't use that hard drive or I would.

Anyone have a clue on this?

Thanks and really could do with the help.

A:Run two external hard drives?

What seems to be the problem? Not enough USB ports, only 1 drive is recognized in Windows, you get an error when you try to copy from 1 to the other?????

http://www.sevenforums.com/hardware-devices/239677-run-two-external-hard-drives.html
Relevancy 63.21%

Hi all, I normally carry out a back up from my PC to an EXT HDD every 2 weeks but I am still worried about losing everything in case this one breaks down. I have now bought a new one but is it ok to have 2 Ext HDD going together on my PC, because I want to copy certain material from my existing Ext HDD to my new one as well as a complete backup. Will this cause a prob or damage my PC in any way? thanks for any help.

Relevancy 63.21%

i am runnung a compaq with win xp. i need an external hard drive to store music, pics and other various files so i can keep my compaq hard drive from getting to bogged down. i only have 80.00-90.00 to spend.
any recomendations.
thanks,
steaks355...

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16822136324

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/external-hard-drives.784246/
Relevancy 63.21%

What are the differences between portable hard drive and external hard drive?
Whatís a good brand?
I want to backup some digital photos and MP3ís

A:External hard drives

If my understanding is correct, a portable hard drive is a type of external hard drive that does not require a separate power cord, hence it is "portable" because it can be powered by the USB cord that connects it to the computer. A regular old external HDD requires a USB data cord as well as a power cord.

For specific brands, I'm using a Maxtor and a Western Digital right now and they've both served me well for over a year now with 0 problems (although I do have a mini-fan cooling them 24/7)

And if you are just looking to backup files, I would probably get a regular external HDD since the "portable" ones are a little more expensive.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/external-hard-drives.773790/
Relevancy 63.21%

Hello everyone,
I was wondering if anyone here could answer a couple questions I have about externals??? I want to buy one for my laptop but know nothing about them...First of all can an external hd be used on multiple computers? Like for instance a zip drive...can I plug this into my desktop computer as well as my laptop and share the info on it?? I run windows on both computers but different versions... Ok next question...These hd come rather large now...would I have to split the drive if say I got a 250gb hd...is splitting the drive a difficult thing to do??? And at what point or how big would the hd have to be without splitting it??? I hope I was clear in attempting to ask these questions...not sure how to word the questions..Thank you for any help you can give me.
Tina

Relevancy 63.21%

A thought just occurred to me that there must be some alternatives to buying the overpriced external hard drives such as the Maxtor OneTouch II or the LaCie d2 Extreme...but what I asked myself?

I have heard of hard drive cases for internal drives that can reduce cost per GB, but is this reliable and a good overall alternative?

It also occurred to me, could I buy a mini-tower and use it just to put multiple internal harddrives in it, no cpu, no ram, just harddrives...is that possible? Something tells me it is not, but something also tells me there may be something else that is specifically designed for that type of hard drive rack setup, but what is it I do not know...

Any help or opinions are appreciated!

Relevancy 63.21%

I just bought a 40 gb external hardrive 2.5 sata. Could someone tell me if it works with Vista. I thought I was ordering a Seagate from EBay, that is what they told me I was ordering but instead got this Sata. I can't get it to work. Anyone know anything about this. Is it user friendly?

Relevancy 63.21%

I would like to get some openions on external hard drives.

Does anyone have experience with both Seagate 500GB and Maxtor 500GB drives?

I would like your openions on which drive performs better, has better reliability and which has the best software.

Also is the regular Segate and the Segate Pro the same drive with different software and connection options or is the Pro a better drive?

Thanks for any info you can give me.

Which is the better connection for external hard drives, USB 2.0 or Firewire?

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/external-hard-drives.707922/
Relevancy 63.21%

Greetings TechGuy Friends I have a friend who has suggested that I consider getting myself an external hard drive ehd to augment my HP hard drives external Pavillion gig computer My OS is Windows ME My friend thought because I store a lot of digital photos scanned slides and music that a Maxor or Lacie GB RPM ehd from GoGoCity would be a good choice for storage and backup I don t currently work with video though I hope to one day get me some software and do something about all the digital video external hard drives I ve shot So with this information external hard drives given my questions are these Does a GB ehd sound about right given my usage or is it an overkill Some external hard drives ehd s offer both USB and Firewire interface capability I don t have Firewire and though it may be faster I ve understood that it really hasn t quot caught on quot and may wind up being obsolete If that s true I ll just go with the USB But if not should I spend the extra to get the ehd with the option to interface with both USB and Firewire I ve seen that ehd s offer varying Cache Buffer Sizes I have no idea what the purpose or importance of this spec is Should I go with one that offers MB MB or none if that even exists Are there any peripherals cords etc that I should be aware of needing that perhaps aren t offered with the ehd as sold by say GoGo City Finally I ve noticed that in the case of Maxor the retail versions are different than what GoGoCity offers which they acknowledge Is there a vital difference I know that the retail versions have what they call quot One Touch Backup quot which the versions sold by GoGoCity do not It sounds like a nice nifty feature but not having ever used an ehd is it really an important one And the GoGoCity ehd s are in quot anti-shock quot cases I d rather save money by getting the ehd through GoGoCity unless someone can suggest a better source than by getting it through say Staples or some retail store But if the retail versions are better and worth the greater price then I know what to do I realize this is a lengthy post And I know it s all pretty rudimentary to most of you But I appreciate any input from you experts out there Thanks in advance for your time and help CCF nbsp

Relevancy 63.21%

Hi, I'm not very tech savvy so I'm not sure if this is the right area to post this about but I was wondering if external Hard drives larger than 2-4 terrabytes that are only powered by USB exist. As in all I would have to do is plug it into my laptop or tower and bam, it's ready.

I'm asking because I don't have a custom tower PC or a custom laptop that I can just buy a large internal hard drive for. I only have a laptop that was store bought.

If anyone knows of any or any particular brands you think are better I'd like to hear about them and check them out. I currently have a seagate 2 terrabyte external. No problems so far.

Thank you,

Jordin

larger than 2-4 terrabytesClick to expand...

Do you really mean something larger than 4TB or do you mean a large external hd in the range from 2 to 4 TB?

I rely on Western Digital.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/external-hard-drives.1146130/
Relevancy 63.21%

I have two external hard drives which i store and run stuff from This has never been a problem while Drives External Hard running xp I've been sitting on this problem for a while looking for a solution or waiting untill i have seen someone else with a similar problem in hope that there will be a fix So far no luck The Problem This is pretty hard to explain as the problem is pretty random From boot up sometimes none or one of my hard drives show up Mostly they both appear Upon Windows startup Sometimes only one external hard drive will appear then about mins later windows will try to autorun the other as soon as it is eventually recognised Sometimes they're no problem untill you try to move large files from one drive to another or from one drive to my hard drive It will start to move them and then freeze half way through External Hard Drives claiming that the files dont exist You then go to explorer to look the drives are showing and so is every folder but the folders show as empty Both hard drives lights are off indicating they are off The only way to fix it is a External Hard Drives system restart One is a maxtor basics gig and the other is a Seagate tb I am running the trial version of windows I have played with the power manegement and nothing has been told to be switched off External Hard Drives this hasn't helped I've tried unplugging changing cables exorcism none has affected it The only solution a can imagine now is reverting back to xp and cancelling my order for windows Please tell me there is something blatently obvious that i have missed Thank you

P

hi and welcome to sevenforums

Are they both USB?

http://www.sevenforums.com/hardware-devices/25619-external-hard-drives.html
Relevancy 63.21%

I am looking to get an external hard drive. The one I am interested in is Ximeta's Netdisk 160 due to its ability to connect directly to my network via ethernet cable. Has anyone had any experience with these drives? Are there any other manufacturers that have hard drives with ethernet connections in the same price range?
Also, I have also found that many here recommend external hard disk enclosures. This seems that it may be another option if the price is lower. But, are those hot-swappable? This is a must for me.
I am running Win XP Pro, have firewire and USB 2.0 connections. T

You're assistance is greatly appreciated!

Relevancy 63.21%

Hello
When I want to connect or disconnect my external drive with my os images in it, should I turn the pc off or can I do this on the fly? I have been doing it on the fly for years but someone said it is not the right way.
Thank you

It's USB attached so on the fly is fine. I would connect it then turn it on.
When you're done, use the Safely remove function (not sure how you access this in Metro) before you power it off then remove it.

http://www.eightforums.com/drivers-hardware/18847-external-hard-drives.html
Relevancy 63.21%

Tech Support Guy System Info Utility version OS Version Microsoft Windows Home Premium Service Pack bit Processor Intel R Pentium R D CPU GHz Intel Family Model Stepping Processor Count RAM Mb Graphics Card NVIDIA GeForce SE TurboCache TM Mb Hard Drives C Total - MB Free - MB E Total - MB Free - MB Motherboard NEC COMPUTERS INTERNATIONAL GA- TRC M-NF seen PC External by not new drives hard Antivirus Microsoft Security Essentials External hard drives not seen by new PC Updated and Enabled Hi I would appreciate some enlightenment on this problem if possible I regularly use GB external hard drives attached to my pC via direct USB links This has always worked fine in the past Unfortunately my previous PC is out of action gt I may have to come to the forum about that one it s a real humdinger is that one lt The PC I m now having to use is a Win as distinct from an XP but I don t see why that should make a real difference Only one of the HDD s is sen by the External hard drives not seen by new PC PC it flat out refuses to see the other I have swapped around the ports and the leads and it makes no difference it will only see one I have plugged the drives into a laptop and they work fine in that just not in the PC Aside from backup I have information on each External hard drives not seen by new PC that I really need access to on a daily basis so switching them around is a real pain ITA I have tried plugging them all into a hub then into the osame socket with the one that works but that dumb idea didn t help either Working with the laptop isn t a runner as it s my wife s and she needs that I ve no idea when if at all my original machine will be back on track It seems crazy that by upgrading to Win that there should be less compatibility rather than more Thanks in advance for any helpful suggestions BC nbsp

Relevancy 63.21%

If an external hard drive is infected by malware will the OS hard drive also be infected

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/external-hard-drives.973861/
Relevancy 63.21%

I was talking to a friend in Poland, who needs an external HD but knows nothing about them. The current is much higher there than in the US, so he was wondering about the risks of frying his electronics. What does anyone have to say about this?

He wanted a drive that was USB powered, to reduce the risk of burnout. If there is a real risk to the current issue, can anyone recommend a USB powered external drive? I have looked at many drives, but they do not specify the power source.

Isn't the higher current taken into consideration by the power supplies that are designed for that current? I wasn't aware that there was a whole different line of hardware that was suitable only for countries with a different power architecture. I thought Europe generally used higher voltage?

http://www.sevenforums.com/hardware-devices/45679-external-hard-drives.html
Relevancy 63.21%

my PC's usually last 4 years.

thanks in advance.

Relevancy 63.21%

Hello My computer is starting to do some scary stuff Before it crashes and I lose all my priceless digital photos of my baby girl I want drives external hard I think to get an external hard drive to dump all my photos and tunes onto A knowledgable friend of mine suggested getting a GB RPM EHD from Western Digital Maxtor and Lacie are also good he said What I don t know is whether I should get a quot one-touch quot option - external hard drives or is that a bell whistle I don t really need And I also want to know whether I should get both firewire and USB connection capabilites even though I only have USB at this time For what it s worth my PC runs Windows external hard drives ME Also I m wondering whether it matters if the EHD s case is not the original manufacturer s - like many on offer from GoGo City for example I like the idea of having an external separate HD that can t be affected by viruses worms that might get into my main HD Anyone able to help me sort this out and clarify my search a bit Much appreciation in advance CCF nbsp

You may want to consider another variation.

HDD caddies are cheap, and allow easy removal of a secondary HDD from the PC. This is a very economical way of backup, and I think you are wise to consider the need.

Otherwise I would be quite happy with the use of a HDD in a "generic" USB or Firewire case.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/external-hard-drives.237186/
Relevancy 63.21%

I'm running Vista x64 on my desktop and have 2 external hard drives - 1 backs up photographs, the other everything else.

Problem is that when I plug them in, they don't appear with consistent drive letters. Sometimes the photo drive is labelled J and other times K.

Is there any way I can permanently label these drives so that every time I plug them in they will be given the correct letters?

(Apologies if this is a bit of a basic question!)

Originally Posted by Graham R

I'm running Vista x64 on my desktop and have 2 external hard drives - 1 backs up photographs, the other everything else.

Problem is that when I plug them in, they don't appear with consistent drive letters. Sometimes the photo drive is labelled J and other times K.

Is there any way I can permanently label these drives so that every time I plug them in they will be given the correct letters?

(Apologies if this is a bit of a basic question!)

Next time you connect either, go to properties and allocate a name and Drive Letter [not C, D, or E] of your choice.

http://www.vistax64.com/general-discussion/273870-external-hard-drives.html
Relevancy 63.21%

I would like to get one o' these, but how would you work it?? I know that you plug it into the USB port but then what, and can you put an OS on them like Linux by any chance?

Relevancy 63.21%

Each day I see more Hard USB Drives External and more threads posted regarding USB External Hard Drive problems and I m just asking for opinions to try to enrich my knowledge I have three USB externals Two are Maxtor Gb USB External Hard Drives vintage with single partitions one formatted NTFS and the other formatted FAT I use these drives for data USB External Hard Drives recovery from customers machines I have another Western Digital Gb vintage formatted NTFS that I use for file backup on the machine I am using right now After I purchased the Maxtors both came formatted USB External Hard Drives FAT I immediately reformatted one of the drives in Windows to NTFS and did nothing to the FAT unit however I later zero filled the FAT unit and reformatted with the Maxtor utility back to FAT The Western Digital unit also came formatted FAT and I reformatted it with Windows to NTFS I used NONE of the backup software that came with the Maxtors or Western Digital drives All the drives are IDE I have used all these drives extensively and never had a problem with any of them Just recently I pulled the drive from the Maxtor NTFS volume to check everything in the enclosure since nothing had been done to the drive for years except use it zero filled the drive and ran the Maxtor extended test The drive checked out perfectly My questions are this Are the problems we are seeing today caused by the factory pre-format Are the problems caused by the backup software that comes with most pre-built drives Are the problems caused by the IDE to USB or SATA to USB adapters I lean towards the adapters because when I get an external in the shop that is having problems about of the time I can remove the drive from the enclosure and hook it up to my workbench machine the machine reads the drive with no problems If anyone has any opinions as to the high problem rate with todays externals please post your opinions nbsp

Relevancy 63.21%

Any thoughts on external hard drives ........I am in the market for a smaller one (gig wise).

Maybe a good reference source other than this website also.
Thanks for any help...

Relevancy 63.21%

Have been hearing rumours that Vista has difficulty recognising NTFS formatted external USB hard drives whereas FAT 32 formatted drives are OK. Can anyone shed further light on this?

Relevancy 63.21%

I have put an hard drive into a hard drive enclosure. I double checked this was working by plugging it in as a slave in my pc. It showed up and I formatted it to ntfs. It does not show up in my computer only in device manager as a usb mass storage device, it says that this device is working properly. Its also plugged in by usb to the rear of my pc.
Please help otherwise this is going in the bin

A:Solved: New external hard drive not showing up

Set jumpers to master.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/solved-new-external-hard-drive-not-showing-up.600778/
Relevancy 63.21%

I have a TB WD Need drive a up help hard in not with showing explorer external external hard drive It was running extremely slow so i ran a defrag and it fixed it But it also has a mac partition on it so i ran the repair disk thing for mac in disk utility However my mac is a laptop so it ran out of battery part way through the operation Now when i plug it in it both the mac and PC it is not picked up in explorer and Disk management under computer management So no partitions show up in either finder on mac or explorer on windows Edit When i connect the hard drive it has a flashing light on it Need help with a external hard drive not showing up in explorer like it normally does Need help with a external hard drive not showing up in explorer when it connecting to pc just before it shows up in explorer It has been flashing like this for hours as it has been plugged into pc this whole time when it Need help with a external hard drive not showing up in explorer connects and shows up in explorer and is not in use that light normally stays solid nbsp

A:Need help with a external hard drive not showing up in explorer

I'd start with test disk:
http://www.cgsecurity.org/wiki/TestDisk
\
FWIW: I have Ubuntu on my Netbook. If I start a lengthy operation like defrag on battery, it will ask me if I really want to do that. I've run into a number of prompts like that, and it makes me wonder why Windows never figured that out.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/need-help-with-a-external-hard-drive-not-showing-up-in-explorer.156626/
Relevancy 63.21%

I have had a WD Hard drive connected to my computer for over a year and since added a second one in a 'firewire' daisy chain. The original is a 250G and the new one is a 500G. BOTH have been working for months but, on occasion, one or the other "disappears".

In the past I have restarted my computer and it shows up but, that is not happening this time. Oddly enough the one that is NOT showing up is the original 250G HD. My computer recognizes the 500G that is 'daisy chained' to it but NOT the original 250G.

How does this happen? Can I prevent this in the future? And...more importantly ... how can I fix this??

Thank you for any help you can provide

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/external-hard-drive-not-showing-in-my-computer.734557/
Relevancy 63.21%

When I plugged my WD External Hard Drive into my laptop, it asked me to format the disk before using. So I tried to format but failed. Then I used KillDisk to kill it.

Now whenever I plug the external drive into my laptop or desktop, it is not showing up in My Computer but its light still flashes. Can someone please help me out? How can I make it work again?

Many thanks in advance.

Relevancy 63.21%

my external hard drive is not showing in my computer even though the computer recognizes it !! I want to see it again but without having to delete everything on it, cause they are pretty important !! PLEASE HELP !!

A:External Hard Drive is not showing in (my computer)

my external hard drive is not showing in my computer even though the computer recognizes it !! I want to see it again but without having to delete everything on it, cause they are pretty important !! PLEASE HELP !!

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f10/external-hard-drive-is-not-showing-in-my-computer-684430.html
Relevancy 63.21%

Okay, so this is the first time I have ever used a usb connection for my sata 3.5" hard drive and I need some help, I plugged it in drivers installed fine and then I went to my computer to see if I can find it, no such luck. So I was wondering if you guys could help.
Pictures in case you need them.

Relevancy 63.21%

I've attched my 160gb external hard rive to my laptop and it shows up in the device manager under disk drives and USB but does not show on my computer and is unusable.

I've attached it to my PC and it works fine???

Help

A:External hard drive not showing in my computer

It depends on your operating system. From past experience XP has no problem, older versions of windows need the correct driver and win95 early version wont see it at all.

Hope that helps. Rik.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/external-hard-drive-not-showing-in-my-computer.26403/
Relevancy 63.21%

First I apologize if this question has been posted before but I on External hard drive up laptop not showing tried searching on this site for the answer but didn t seem to find one Here is my problem I have a Toshiba Satellite A laptop running Vista Home Premium which has been giving me problems since the day I purchased it After many calls to Toshiba and taking it back to the store of purchase the only answer I get is Format it So after creating the recovery cds I have to back up bazillions of files My brother is letting me use his hard drive which is in a SSK USB enclosure Unfortunately I do not know the make of the hard drive in the enclosure and he is away so I cannot ask him Here is the problem I plug it into the USB port and the laptop makes the sound of finding new hardware and the little icon appears saying quot safely remove hardware quot I click on My Computer and the hard drive is no where to be found I External hard drive not showing up on laptop clicked on Device Manager and I can see it under USB Mass Storage Device I go to Disk Management and I can see it as Disk Unknown Not Initialized I have never connected an external hard drive before so External hard drive not showing up on laptop I m a little scared to Initialize it because I know my brother has lots of files already stored on it and I do not want to erase them I know he did have it connected to his Mac pc and his Macbook so i m not sure if this is what is causing the problem All I want to do is backup my files so I can format this laptop that is causing me such frustration I am thanking in advance to anyone who is willing to help me fix this problem nbsp

A:External hard drive not showing up on laptop

If the drive is formatted to use on a MAC then you will not be able yo use it on an IBM machine.
It will probably be better if you got your own external drive

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/external-hard-drive-not-showing-up-on-laptop.802955/
Relevancy 63.21%

i have a seagate backup plus 5 tb drive that's around 3 months old and has worked fine up until now. something happened, no idea what, but now it shows almost no free space. the drive is completely empty, and it only has 236 kb of available drive space. i've looked in disk management and everything looks fine there. all 4600 gb is showing up. when i try adding a file over 236 kb, it says there's not enough space. formatting the drive didn't help. currently using fat, but i tried formatting ntfs and it said windows was unable to complete the format. anyone got any suggestions?

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/external-hard-drive-not-showing-all-the-space.1164778/
Relevancy 63.21%

I am having an issue with a Seagate external USB hard drive that I have connected to my Windows 7 PC. It is powered on when I start my computer. When I go to "my computer" to look for the drive, it is not there. I disconnect power to the drive and hear the Windows hardware disconnect sound, leading me to believe that Windows did acknowledge that is was indeed connected. I plug the hard drive back in and suddenly the drive shows up and all is well. Why is this happening and what can I do to make it work normally?

I'll also add that when I start my computer with the drive turned off, when I do power up the drive...nothing. It only seems to work when the drive is on when Windows is started. Any ideas?

Thanks,
Kevin

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/external-hard-drive-only-showing-up-after-restart.906631/
Relevancy 63.21%

Hi,

I have 3 external hard drives from old laptops. I purchased a refurbished Dell Desktop PC 18 months ago. I've never had to use my old drives with it, until now... and they don't seem to show up anywhere and I can't access the data. Can anyone help please? Thankyou

A:External Hard Drive Not Showing On Desktop PC :(

are these all connected via a USB
sounds like a PC issue if ALL three are not seen
What windows version do you have on the new PC
and what Windows version was on the PC you use to copy the drives

Are they in a case - does the case need power , is that working on all three drives?

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/external-hard-drive-not-showing-on-desktop-pc.1170716/